Code of Conduct

Thumbs down Versace Eros - Extremely Disappointed

Today, I decided to visit my local perfume store.
    I was excited to test some new stuff but that changed quickly.
    One of the ladies sprayed Eros on my hand.
    This opens with a strong blast of YSL l'Homme on steroids, mixed with some Play Intense.
    It quickly dries down to.... a bad dilution of 1 Million.
    Are you kidding me?!
    This is pathetic. It makes me angry.
    If the above description sounds good to you, it's not.
    The whole thing smells very synthetic. Cheap.
    The topnotes are cloying. It smells bad, actually.
    This is just wrong. Disturbing.
    What a bunch of cowards released this piece of trash.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Versace Eros - Extremely Disappointed

I never had high hopes for this one but somehow the old fashioned bottle design was trying to indicate that this stuff could be good..thanks to you that now I do not have to spoil my time to find this one out for sampling...
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Artisan
    2. Mugler Cologne
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Pure Shot
    5. Burberry Touch
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Bvlgari pHE
    9. TdH
    0. YSL Libre

Post Thanks / Like

Eros is a fragrance of a new era, like it or not. It's a minty, fresher version of 1 Million. Ladies adore it.
    Last edited by AntonPan; 5th March 2013 at 04:11 PM.
    Watch my recent video reviews of
    Prada Luna Rossa - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_dv7TAmfrA
    Dior Homme Cologne 2013 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvutqcq00y4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    Eros is a fragrance of a new era, like it or not. It's a minty, fresher version of 1 Million. Ladies adore it.
    I have nothing against modern fragrances. I love Spicebomb.
    Just check my wardrobe. There are plenty of freshies.
    But this, somehow managed to make me angry like no other fragrance ever did.
    This had no sign to be a blatant clone of 1 Million.
    The notes which are listed are almost completely different compared to 1 Million.
    The whole thing is misleading. They are treating us like idiots.

Post Thanks / Like

I love spicebomb as well. I even liked prada Luna Rossa. This one was a vanilla mess. Disappointing to say the least. It smelled to me like Luna Rossa with a serious amount of vanilla added to it. Projection off the wall tho. I'll give it that.

This was quite unpleasant IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

This was outright offensive to my nose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    Today, I decided to visit my local perfume store.
    I was excited to test some new stuff but that changed quickly.
    One of the ladies sprayed Eros on my hand.
    This opens with a strong blast of YSL l'Homme on steroids, mixed with some Play Intense.
    It quickly dries down to.... a bad dilution of 1 Million.
    Are you kidding me?!
    This is pathetic. It makes me angry.
    If the above description sounds good to you, it's not.
    The whole thing smells very synthetic. Cheap.
    The topnotes are cloying. It smells bad, actually.
    This is just wrong. Disturbing.
    What a bunch of cowards released this piece of trash.
    I agree with your sentiments entirely.
    The mainstream frangrance industry is churning out so much crap...no other word for it.
    This whole planet is getting very strange. The amount of tv programmes copying exactly the same format. We are seeing the same mundane themes re~hashed and re~hashed, again and again....and it's the same in the fragrance industry. Very few houses are daring to be different or show initiative. They just follow the same "safe bet" formulas, perhaps slightly altered and that's about it.
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

Post Thanks / Like

9 out of 10 frags released today are versions/dilutions of the best selling 1 Million garbage. You shouldn't have expected any different from Versace.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

When it comes to frags of this sort, just don't buy it if you don't like it. Maybe when these companies see their sells drop tremendously they will step their game up. As long as people keep buying this stuff, unfortunately they are going to keep selling it. Good thing you tested it first.

Post Thanks / Like

...So i take it you didn't buy a bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I agree with your sentiments entirely.
    The mainstream frangrance industry is churning out so much crap...no other word for it.
    This whole planet is getting very strange. The amount of tv programmes copying exactly the same format. We are seeing the same mundane themes re~hashed and re~hashed, again and again....and it's the same in the fragrance industry. Very few houses are daring to be different or show initiative. They just follow the same "safe bet" formulas, perhaps slightly altered and that's about it.
    I actually had hope for Eros. I have read your mildly positive topic about it (which you corrected later) so I expected something new. Something good. I like the marketing, the name of the fragrance and the bottle. But the fragrance... oh boy.

You know, I also smelled Gucci Guilty Black today on a paper strip. If you would ask me what it smells like, I can't answer you. It's so generic, so boring, rehashed to death. It's nothing. My brain blocked it out.

Post Thanks / Like

...My brain blocked it out.
    It's funny that you say this: my brain does this too. Usually when I sample a fragrance once, I can return it to my mind and can recognize it later. Eros and most of the other new designer scents... my brain simply refuses remember these. It's so very offensive cloying synthetic generic crap that sometimes I think I'm simply hypersensitive to some chemical. Or then my nose is too good for this s**t. I really don't know which is the case.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    When it comes to frags of this sort, just don't buy it if you don't like it. Maybe when these companies see their sells drop tremendously they will step their game up. As long as people keep buying this stuff, unfortunately they are going to keep selling it. Good thing you tested it first.
    You must understand that the vast majority of people flocking to Macy's fragrance counters have never experienced the expensive and exclusive niche side of fragrance. They WANT to smell like everyone else. Hence Acqua di Geo, 1 Million, etc. Don't get me wrong, there are gems at the local fragrance counter, but most of the buyers won't pay over $80 a bottle for anything so happily shell out for the "scent of the year"

CologneFan85

Well people seem to like it, its selling like crazy. Oh well. Don't like it don't buy it. ETC

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    It's funny that you say this: my brain does this too. Usually when I sample a fragrance once, I can return it to my mind and can recognize it later. Eros and most of the other new designer scents... my brain simply refuses remember these. It's so very offensive cloying synthetic generic crap that sometimes I think I'm simply hypersensitive to some chemical. Or then my nose is too good for this s**t. I really don't know which is the case.
    This is what Jean-Claude Ellena says about this subject:

The thing is you have to smell, and when you smell it, if something happens between the perfume and you, then that’s what I call emotion. Ask for a sample and put it on your skin. If you like it on your skin, you can buy. No rush, take the time, because perfume is like a love affair. It’s not good to rush a love affair.
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post
    Well people seem to like it, its selling like crazy. Oh well. Don't like it don't buy it. ETC
    How do you know this?

---

To make things worse, I took a shower and it's still easily detectable on my skin.
    I'm talking about 1 tiny spray on my hand, 16 hours ago... Ugh.

Post Thanks / Like

To me it was 1Million meets Le Male. Didn't enjoy it.
    Last edited by Oupavoc; 6th March 2013 at 03:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

80% of BaseNotes hates it,

I'll most certainly give this a testing.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

I just sampled it today.

It doesn't break any new ground but it's not bad either.

Very similar to the discontinued Aramis Life: mint and bergamot drying down to a sandalwood base. Except the sandalwood notes in Eros are strong enough to push it into Oriental territory.

Post Thanks / Like

No one locally seems to have this in stock yet and the retail samples are going for $15+ on eBay.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

^ Your not missing much, the bottle is nice, but it honestly smells like bubble gum flouride mouth wash , in other words an ultra diluted One million doused with mint. Incredibly synthetic and poor sillage , longevity is decent.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually had hope for Eros. I have read your mildly positive topic about it (which you corrected later) so I expected something new. Something good. I like the marketing, the name of the fragrance and the bottle. But the fragrance... oh boy.

You know, I also smelled Gucci Guilty Black today on a paper strip. If you would ask me what it smells like, I can't answer you. It's so generic, so boring, rehashed to death. It's nothing. My brain blocked it out.
    Love your post ! Couldn't have put it better.
    All these newbies seem to have that mish~mash~mess of a smell you get when you walk past the doors of one of those "generic" (truly dreadful) perfume chains....Douglas, Sephora and co. A vomit inducing chemical tsunami of a breeze. Why is the IFRA not banning these stenchous chemicals instead of restricting natural cinnamon or clove because they may possibly cause skin irritation in one in a thousand people ?

My fragrance hobby is still quite nascent; however, I’ve yet to smell anything by Versace that has impressed me. Maybe this is a systemic problem for Versace?

It's a vile vanilla mess, I posted about it not tob long ago, just disgusting...

Post Thanks / Like

Vanilla, sandalwood, bergamot... where? See, that's my problem with these fragrances, no real notes to speak of. I have some experience with fragrances and can pick up these notes, but here they are unrecognizable. Everything is covered by this huge synthetic accord. Really, really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    ^ Your not missing much, the bottle is nice, but it honestly smells like bubble gum flouride mouth wash , in other words an ultra diluted One million doused with mint. Incredibly synthetic and poor sillage , longevity is decent.
    I would not say that it has poor sillage. If anything it's way too potent for office wear.

And that's the problem with Eros. It's yet another fragrance that's not bad, but I can't imagine an occasion where I would want to wear it.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm only new here, but it seems that IFRA has a problem. Just put a frigging disclaimer in the bottle for God's sake!
    They let anti-psychotic drugs onto the market that make people kill themselves, but you can't have some clove oil in an EdT?
    IFRA, why don't you grow a pair?

Really clove oil is banned ??? LOL , its a big part of traditional medicine in many cultures used for thousands of years. IFRA is a joke , if cigarettes can be sold , I don't see the problem with oak moss based or clove based fragrances, if a person gets a small rash, why do 999 of others have to suffer. Height of stupidity on their part. Its ok to allow these new groups of nasty detergent level synthetics to be utilized in fragrances. Later studies will probably prove those are carcinogenic.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 8th March 2013 at 02:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Really clove oil is banned ??? LOL , its a big part of traditional medicine in many cultures used for thousands of years. IFRA is a joke , if cigarettes can be sold , I don't see the problem with oak moss based or clove based fragrances, if a person gets a small rash, why do 999 of others have to suffer. Height of stupidity on their part. Its ok to allow these new groups of nasty detergent level synthetics to be utilized in fragrances. Later studies will probably prove those are carcinogenic.
    Hi vin,
    Actually I didn' say banned, I said restricted ~ but the restriction is so severe that Floris had to remove their wonderful Malmaison fragrance from the shelves. I spoke to them a while ago and they told me they are working on a reformulation, but it is extremely difficult because the fragrance is based around clove and carnation.
    I agree with your sentiments entirely !

Post Thanks / Like

I like this, I like one million, wouldn't want to own it at all though. Never worn it so don't really know the dry down.

Id like a decant of this.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought this blindly...mistake :|
    Gives me a headache. The comparisons to L'homme are valid -- and also the top notes from Aqua Fahrenheit are like exactly the same...the drydown is just meh.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes65 View Post
    You must understand that the vast majority of people flocking to Macy's fragrance counters have never experienced the expensive and exclusive niche side of fragrance. They WANT to smell like everyone else.
    While people claim to value individualism, in the real world I'm afraid this is not really the case. They smell something within a situation that holds a positive feeling for them, make a mental association, and then want to smell that same way themselves.

For those in the hobby, we tie our likes to positive associations too, but perhaps we make those associations based on different sorts of experiences.

Finding something new and original is what produces those positive associations for us, but mostly because searching out such things is what our area of interest is based on.

It always surprises me to hear about knowledgeable folks owning things that took even themselves a long time to understand and appreciate.

That sort of thinking might seem foreign and probably even stupid to the average man on the street.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried it and I also was really disappointed. I don't find it fresh, I don't know where is the mint note, I think is very sweet and quite similar to Au Masculin by Lempicka. A weak version. After an hour I could barely smell something on me. The bottle is nice indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't find anything pleasant or interesting in it. Washed it off, will never try it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Just another synthetic fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by ubergeek View Post
    I would not say that it has poor sillage. If anything it's way too potent for office wear.

And that's the problem with Eros. It's yet another fragrance that's not bad, but I can't imagine an occasion where I would want to wear it.
    If you think Eros, has potent sillage, most of the fragrances in my wardrobe will be nuclear in comparison

I have no expectations on any versace release.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

very synthetic ! puts me off.

What are everyones views on 1 Million then? Do you like it or not? Also what were your first impressions of 1 Million when it came out? Positive or Negative?

You see I have never smelled 1 Million, I went to Macy's to get a cologne and the one I Went back to was Versace Eros, I became obsessed with Cologne since that bottle (just 2 short months ago) and I now realize that it (Versace Eros) is not the cologne for me and I have found others I like more, but just keep in mind, every year, a new buyer comes walking up to the fragrance counter for the first time, if I were to smell 1 Million today, would I say, "this smells just like Eros, what a joke" (I wouldnt because I know now 1 million came first) my point is only, some people will like this one just fine especially if they are new to fragrance, and IMO its a good fragrance, I personally enjoy the first 45 min of it an love to smell this one on my car ride to work during that initial 45 min.

I wish people would not bash the actual fragrance, because I think it is fine and unjustifiably being bashed, however if you want to say, I am disappointed in Versace for making a copy of a mainstream frag, this would serve a better purpose, because I think that is the issue, fragrance of ANY kind, if you dont like it, dont buy it, also dont bash it, there are PLENTY of fragrance that I cant stand, and others love, I wouldnt want to offend them.

Take your complaint to Versace itself for making what you consider to be a copy of a mainstream frag, its a valid complaint. (I actually think it dries down to a more potent Rochas Man, which could be yet another 1 million drydown clone, but again I dont know 1 Million)

bottle is great, juice inside is a waste...

Quote Originally Posted by voidvader View Post
    I have no expectations on any versace release.
    Really? I expect them all to be consistently crap (but i know what you mean).

L'Homme (1984) is one of my all time favourites -- it's been all downhill since then though.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddysLittleHelper View Post
    What are everyones views on 1 Million then? Do you like it or not? Also what were your first impressions of 1 Million when it came out? Positive or Negative?

You see I have never smelled 1 Million, I went to Macy's to get a cologne and the one I Went back to was Versace Eros, I became obsessed with Cologne since that bottle (just 2 short months ago) and I now realize that it (Versace Eros) is not the cologne for me and I have found others I like more, but just keep in mind, every year, a new buyer comes walking up to the fragrance counter for the first time, if I were to smell 1 Million today, would I say, "this smells just like Eros, what a joke" (I wouldnt because I know now 1 million came first) my point is only, some people will like this one just fine especially if they are new to fragrance, and IMO its a good fragrance, I personally enjoy the first 45 min of it an love to smell this one on my car ride to work during that initial 45 min.

I wish people would not bash the actual fragrance, because I think it is fine and unjustifiably being bashed, however if you want to say, I am disappointed in Versace for making a copy of a mainstream frag, this would serve a better purpose, because I think that is the issue, fragrance of ANY kind, if you dont like it, dont buy it, also dont bash it, there are PLENTY of fragrance that I cant stand, and others love, I wouldnt want to offend them.

Take your complaint to Versace itself for making what you consider to be a copy of a mainstream frag, its a valid complaint. (I actually think it dries down to a more potent Rochas Man, which could be yet another 1 million drydown clone, but again I dont know 1 Million)
    Me personally, I respect 1 Million. I won't buy it for myself, but it's not bad.
    There is something screechy and chemical about Eros.
    It tries too hard.
    There seems to be a consensus on this forum that it is really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    I love this fragrance. One whiff of my husband's neck and, well . . . let's just say I find it to be very sensual!

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Eros I cannot stand. I got a sample and it was just nauseating. But I really like the bottle. Just wish they would make some good juice to fill it with.

1 Million I really like. I almost didn’t sample 1 Million because of the tacky bottle, but when I did I was very surprised of how much I enjoyed the smell. Only downfall is the popularity of the juice, so I only use it while I’m home.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Eros is an extreme compliment getter..
    Not the most original but a good frag IMO ..

Post Thanks / Like

Eros is a pleasant smell to me, lasts ages and is a huge compliment getter. Also I'm so sick of reading about how every new release smells like 1 Million!!! Just because there is a very sweet/synthetic trend going on in mens fragrance lately, doesn't mean that Eros/Spicebomb/joop Wild/ect smell "just like 1 Million"(although the dry down of Halloween Man is the one exception )

For some reason the ladies are Fragrantica raves about this juice. I thought it smell quite pleasant too. To me it smells like a marriage between 1 Million and La Nuit. Both of which I like

Sampled it and was completely unmoved. Struck me as just sort of nothing.

To the posters who say they've never found a Versace they liked: try Versace L'Homme, especially if you can find one of the older bottles. I've seen them in several shopping mall fragrance stores. Do a little research on BN first, to make sure you know what to look for. I was formerly in the Versace doubters group, but L'Homme completely changed my opinion. Certainly worth a try.