Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Channel: Platinum Egoiste

PLATINUM …GOŌSTE

Perfumer: Jacques Polge / Francois Demachy

Top notes: Lavender, Rosemary, Petitgrain
    Middle notes: Clary Sage, Geranium, Galbanum
    Base notes: Vetiver, Cedarwood, Labdanum, Treemoss

This fragrance is lively, timeless and a classic. One spray in the air, diffusion of the top notes evoke a slightly fresh herbal feel that quickly dissipates as lavender and rosemary grabs you by the hand and takes a walk with you down the road, where the aromatic air blows into a clary sage thicket coated with the greenness of galbanum. The geranium lends a floral aspect that completely stays masculine. The air is wind swept into a forest of vetiver, cedarwood, and treemoss. This combination of fine ingredients is never butch or harsh, but blends seamlessly and inspires the senses to evoke emotions of aristocracy and elegance.

Based upon pure smell, one would be blown away at itís price point in comparison to expensive niche brands. This has often been compared to AF Fierce and most recently Mont Blanc Legend. I use to this notion was suspect, but now after a side by side test, I totally get it. These three are all similar, but this is where the association ends. I find Channel PE to be far superior in class, composition, and ingredients. It is clean, fresh, masculine, and woody. One might think this fragrance is arrogant, but it will humbly follow you in any attire and occasion. A seamless masterpiece that females seem to adore and the majority of the population isnít aware of.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Default Re: Channel: Platinum Egoiste

Jay Gatsby's white linen shirts smell like Platinum Egoiste.

I enjoy this scent quite a bit despite what detractors say.

I thought it was good, but not worth the Chanel price tag. I'd take a YSL over it in the same genre any day.

Basenotes Plus

I hated it at first thinking it was cloying because I over-sprayed it. I learned from this forum a while ago to not overspray it and now it's one of my favorite office scents. In fact, it has gathered quite some compliments from my female colleagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    I thought it was good, but not worth the Chanel price tag. I'd take a YSL over it in the same genre any day.
    YSL's what?

Please don't say L'Homme.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Overcome By Fumes

Nice review, Cocco Channel would be pleased.

I think I must be anosmic to some of the notes here as it never smelled anything but tin and cedar in my wearings.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post

I think I must be anosmic to some of the notes here as it never smelled anything but tin and cedar in my wearings.
    Thank you and I agree, the lavender is in disguise as it doesn't strike me in its usual presentation. I too get the metallic tin reference, but just feel the fragrance is well polished. It's not a moss bomb like darker noir. I think this is an example of how common ingredients found in fragrances can be blended to yield a different vibe. It's a winner in my book.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you and I agree, the lavender is in disguise as it doesn't strike me in its usual presentation. I too get the metallic tin reference, but just feel the fragrance is well polished. It's not a moss bomb like darker noir. I think this is an example of how common ingredients found in fragrances can be blended to yield a different vibe. It's a winner in my book.

I see what you did there.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Quote Originally Posted by Christian M View Post
    YSL's what?

Please don't say L'Homme.
    L'Homme isn't in the same genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    L'Homme isn't in the same genre.
    You still didn't answer the question.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Excellent review!!! I wrote this one off a while ago as a great scent that's just not for me... but your review convinced me that I need to revisit it. And I will.

- - - Updated - - -

What's the connection between Platinum Egoiste and Egoiste? ...aside from both being by Chanel, of course. Is there a similarity?
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Zero similarity to my nose.

Egoiste smells aged, definitely for an older gentleman in my eyes.

The rest of Basenotes will tell you that it's amazing and Platinum Egoiste is garbage though, so tread lightly.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Zero similarity to my nose.

Egoiste smells aged, definitely for an older gentleman in my eyes.

The rest of Basenotes will tell you that it's amazing and Platinum Egoiste is garbage though, so tread lightly.
    I agree. Egoiste and PE are not similar. I appreciate Egoiste, but its not for me at this time. PE rocks and perhaps lovers of it are in the minority here, but that is only my experience on basenotes and not elsewhere. Let your nose be the judge.

You still didn't answer the question.
    It got me wondering the same thing... would YSL's competition be Rive Gauche maybe? Platinum Egoiste has some Fougere qualities to me...

I dont have that Channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I dont have that Channel.
    You need DirecTV
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

I would not mind swapping my Platinum Egoiste, although I like it...for Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme if anyone is interested.

I had PE awhile ago. Certainly not bad by any means. Just something after awhile didn't sit with me well. I don't know how to explain. I traded it away.

I like it, but I already own Fierce, Montblanc Legend. Its at 98% with box

I'm probably in the minority, but in my opinion PE is highly over rated. It does smell good, but considering how fragrances like Chrome, Cool Water, Fierce, and others get beat on for being popular and boring, PE has a lot in common with these, but is put on a pedestal. Seems to benefit a lot from being a flanker of Egoiste (has nothing in common with it) and from the Chanel name.
    Last edited by silentrich; 7th March 2013 at 12:33 AM.

I'm gonna go for a pass on this one, just never liked it. I guess it's marginally more intriguing than Fierce thanks to the little spice note in the opening (pepper, I believe), but eventually it's just the same. Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of the Allure Homme line and I still think they're a step above Platinum Egoiste.

Maybe I'm being too judgey. It's just that Chanel is incredible in their history and what they've done for fragrances.

I think it smells amazing. Classy and refined, great scent.

I've always liked PE, but I'm a fan of most 90s fresh fougere type scents. I just think these types of fragrances are kind of timeless because they simply smell fresh and clean. And as far as Fierce goes, I'll take PE over it any day. Fierce, to my nose, is much woodier, while PE is more herbal, metallic, and fresh.

The drydown is really similar to Mont Blanc Legend. Both are great!!

It is one of my all time favorites. I only wish I could find it at a discount!

Agreeing with others, I don't see any similarity between this and Egoiste. Not really a fan of that one personally. Disagreeing with some, I only see the faintest similarity to A&F Fierce, with PE being light years superior in my mind
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

Wow, I am surprised so many people find Platinum Egoiste different than the first Egoiste. To me, they are actually quite close in smell.

Platinum Egoiste has kind of grown on me. Compared to its peers ( Cool Water, Eternity and Paco Rabanne XS), it performs the best on my skin and doesn't bother me after a day of wearing. I can certainly understand someone really disliking this one, but it also has a function as well. You just cannot expect to get it for cheap like the afformentioned 3 fragrances. Chanels go for retail price or close to it, but if you really like it, it is worth it.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Thumbs up Re: Channel: Platinum Egoiste

I love Platinum Egoiste
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Same, love PE.

You need DirecTV

loll

Yet another fresh, oceanic, aquatic, modern floral or whatever one may wish to call it. Very similar to Cool Water, Acqua di Gio, and other similar concoctions. Nothing special here,but Longevity and sillage are great

This stuff is a beast. I sprayed once in the air of my room and it is still noticeable nearly 24 hours later. At least my room smells good!

Quote Originally Posted by Hovo View Post
    Yet another fresh, oceanic, aquatic, modern floral or whatever one may wish to call it. Very similar to Cool Water, Acqua di Gio, and other similar concoctions. Nothing special here,but Longevity and sillage are great
    The metallic note in PE makes it unlike any of the other fragrances you listed.

I wish people didn't write this scent off so fast, it's pretty unique.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Yet another fresh, oceanic, aquatic, modern floral fragrance

Metallic note? Aquatic? Are we talking calone here? It was sounding pretty good up to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Metallic note? Aquatic? Are we talking calone here? It was sounding pretty good up to that point.
    ummm I don't get anything aquatic out of platinum egoiste. I could see it as a fresher scent, being part of the 90s movement, but mostly I get a fougere structure with a minty lavender and geranium heart.

Looks like no reply to the "which YSL" question so I'll say Jazz, at about half the price. (I know it's not quite the same family).
    Better though for me would be Paco XS which I think is very similar, but dirt cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    I love Platinum Egoiste
    +1.
    For Sale:Gucci Pour Homme II , Amouage Attar,Lubin Idole http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...dwide-Shipping

Basenotes Member

For me it's in the top 5 favorite of all time

I wish people didn't write this scent off so fast, it's pretty unique.
    paul smith optimistic for men is near exact clone of this, so not unique .

Quote Originally Posted by skism View Post
    I didn't say it was the only one of it's kind.

Platinum Egoiste is from 1993. A new designer scent that just came out doesn't take away uniqueness from a classic.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

I can see why it gets love out there but IMHO there are better things out there in the same league and with a better quality of ingredients.

Personally it has a cousin that is sexier, smarter and just so unique today, I still can't believe I have only been wearing it for 4 or 5 months. Hello Chanel Egoiste!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I can see why it gets love out there but IMHO there are better things out there in the same league and with a better quality of ingredients.

Personally it has a cousin that is sexier, smarter and just so unique today, I still can't believe I have only been wearing it for 4 or 5 months. Hello Chanel Egoiste!!!
    Original Egoiste smells nothing like PE to my nose. It's crazy how different they smell, but were created around the same time.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

I didn't say it was the only one of it's kind.

Platinum Egoiste is from 1993. A new designer scent that just came out doesn't take away uniqueness from a classic.
    if it smells the same then it is not unique. maybe unique in 1993 but not now.

And that is rubbish also. Sorry, getting fed up with the lovefest

For me, there is no better work fragrance...10/10
    Signature Rotation: A* Men, Pure Havane, Dunhill Pursuit, Varvatos Artisian, Guerlain Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by sroreilly View Post
    ummm I don't get anything aquatic out of platinum egoiste. I could see it as a fresher scent, being part of the 90s movement, but mostly I get a fougere structure with a minty lavender and geranium heart.
    Good to hear. I just wanted to check because all too often people throw around the term aquatic for anything fresh.

Original Egoiste smells nothing like PE to my nose. It's crazy how different they smell, but were created around the same time.
    Wasn't suggesting they are similar
    I said it has a "cousin", not a cloned sibling

Ahhhhh i am almost out of this. My wife bought it for me last VDay. needless to say I have been wearing the heck out of it. lol

Well, its true...not unique. It is near an exact clone, but like 4 times cheaper. I found it at 21 pounds/100 ml in UK. For office environment is fine. Quality wise, PE > optimistic for men, but considering price as well...Paul Smith does sound as a good option.

Quite an accurate and extensive description of a Chanel scent I truly happen to like.

Hey all. I had a curious question on PE..

at a shop in my town, I found these two different bottles of PE. Both are 3.4 oz, but they are a little different in text on the bottle (or at least on the box ). I don't plan to buy at this time (although I believe it s a beautiful scent), but I was just very curious about what the difference may be.
    I believe they are both eau de toilette, but on the bottom image, I can't quite tell.

There are 3 Platinum bottles and two bottles say:

PLATINUM (larger)
    EGOISTE (smaller)
    Pour Homme (smaller)

CHANEL
    Paris

2nd box on the bottom says:

EGOISTE (larger)
    PLATINUM (larger)
    Pour Homme (smaller)

CHANEL
    Paris
    New York

I tried searching online and don't see an actual box. I thought maybe it was apres rasage, but that box is silver.
    Any ideas maybe??

chafragr.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, Scentologist, for this thorough review
    Don't you find PE very close to Eternity for Men? I tested both recently and found them very very close.

Hi,
    Platinium Egoiste, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver and Guerlain Vetiver are my office scents.

I love Platinium Egoiste, pure class in a bottle...!

mdclx

I really enjoy PE. As for comparisons. I only get the Legend reference for about 30 minutes. When I tested Legend the initial spray was unique..the middle 30 minutes was very PE and then it morphed completely into a smoother/more refined Fierce. Don't really get the same with Fierce and PE side by side so I don't see it as much. I think PE is way classier than both.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I think PE is a fabulously versatile and lovely fragrance. I can not imagine too many "civilians" having a problem with it. I love Egoiste as well, but it really is totally different and not something you can wear to the office. I think PE is a fragrance you wear for other people, while Egoiste is a scent you wear for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Letitbenose View Post
    Thank you, Scentologist, for this thorough review
    Don't you find PE very close to Eternity for Men? I tested both recently and found them very very close.
    I personally don't get the connection between Eternity and PE although there is that "green" aspect that might bridge a slight resemblance. Otherwise, completely different to my nose.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I really enjoy PE. As for comparisons. I only get the Legend reference for about 30 minutes. When I tested Legend the initial spray was unique..the middle 30 minutes was very PE and then it morphed completely into a smoother/more refined Fierce. Don't really get the same with Fierce and PE side by side so I don't see it as much. I think PE is way classier than both.
    I get the Fierce comparison to PE in the dry down. However, I agree that PE is way classier in every aspect!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mdclx View Post
    Hi,
    Platinium Egoiste, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver and Guerlain Vetiver are my office scents.

I love Platinium Egoiste, pure class in a bottle...!

mdclx
    I agree! I wear PE dressed up and I also wear it to the gym. Its perfect all the time. I even had a guy try to get close enough to me in the gym to smell me what I was wearing lol.

When I'm in the mood for it, which is rarely, I enjoy wearing it. A ton of compliments on this one as well.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

This scent is on my to buy list but I'm kind of worried about all the negative feedback on longevity issues. What do you guys think based on longevity is this a buy or pass fragrance ?

Quote Originally Posted by cuko View Post
    This scent is on my to buy list but I'm kind of worried about all the negative feedback on longevity issues. What do you guys think based on longevity is this a buy or pass fragrance ?
    PE longevity for me is average, typical designer.