Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1

    Default Drakkar - No Strength

    Hi ,

    As title , I have recently bought a bottle of Drakkar Noir (100ml) , on offer from the current uk price (in shops) of £40 down to £20 , however considering how much this costs in the UK I am shocked by the lack of strength,longevity and projection in this especially considering that some consider this a powerhouse, I get little longevity and very little projection.
    To be fair to Drakkar, it does smell amazing and I would buy another bottle but I would not buy a bottle at the full retail price, I think I can safely assume this fragrance is a victim of reformulation ?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    Are you spraying more than a single spray?

    If so then maybe your bottle is defective.

    for swap/sale:





  3. #3
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    81,275

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    Personally have no issues with its strength.

  4. #4
    vita odorifera
    perfaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lagos
    Posts
    7,533
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    True, today's Drakkar Noir is not the impolitely strong beast it used to be, although it has remained quite faithful to the original scent.

    Where i live, strong frags are not an issue so applying a bit more than i would have in the 80s compensates for any loss of strength, if strength is really required. But, thats where i live.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

    #BBOG!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    Olfactory fatigue?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    I like Drakkar personally. Not very strong, but effective.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    Moderate Longevity and Projection for me. Certainly not bad

  8. #8
    Basenotes Plus
    ericrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,126

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    Perfaddict is absolutely correct. I fully concur.

    The reformulated Drakkar Noir (which is still a top selling fragrance around the world) is a lighter scent than the Vintage juice. Oakmoss, the heavier, oily leather and ferocity has been dialed down. It still wears very well though. It is, as a counterpoint in vernacular to what perfaddict said, more "polite". It is more like Drakkar "Verde", instead of Drakkar "Noir" - Green vs. Black.

    Personally, I really enjoy a layered wearing of Vintage juice (even just dabbed on - neck, backs of hands) with current formulation - you get wonderful richness and power that the original powerhouse delivered and great, fresh greener notes. I apply that from a 100ml Spray bottle and tend to wear a liberal amount. It is a scent that still gets noticed (from distance!) and complimented. While there are many scents that are similar to Drakkar Noir, there is simply no replacing it - both in one's collection and in history. It is the fragrance that brings me right back to high school nights, parties, hot girls and make-out sessions! Sure, other scents were around...but Drakkar Noir was the 'one' you went to when it mattered most.

    I, personally, really enjoy how Guy Laroche has reformulated Drakkar Noir. At first, yes...it was missing something and I knew the reformulation had changed it. But, instead of looking for its weaknesses - I found its new positive points. I did this while getting a Vintage bottle. Honestly, while one could pull it off if they have the big brass balls it takes - doing a full-wearing of Vintage Drakkar Noir today is nuclear!!! I already have a reputation as the 'cologne guy' - that's been me since early high school (and even before when I snuck some from my father), but I think that balance is key when one wears scent nowadays...even in social settings.

    So, if your mind and heart are set on Vintage Drakkar Noir - it's out there and one can get it. Look at the other threads on how to distinguish bottles from sellers (distributed by Cosmair; PARIS is close together on the Vintage bottle at the bottom, while the current is P A R I S, etc.) It's easy to tell.

    For me, an undeniable and endearing classic. It will always be in my collection.

    And, on a final point - you just decided my SOTD and into the Evening! It will be a layered wearing of Drakkar Noir (Vintage, dabbed on with a EdT). Also, the After Shave balm and deodorant are very nice - I recommend buying a set of current. It can be found online and at TJ Maxx for bargain prices. It wears very well together...especially with a few strategically located dabs of Vintage. BTW, I also have Vintage Drakkar Noir in spray - in a layered wearing, just 2 shots and you're set. I actually prefer dabbing it on. The vibe is even different.

    When I was younger, a cupped handful from a Splash bottle or 5-6 sprays was common! We were crazy kids and you could smell the aroma of Drakkar at any party we were at! All in a haze of smoke and classic rock music and these superbad, hot new grunge bands called Pearl Jam, Nirvana, & Alice in Chains were blasting from the stereo!

    The memories of our youth - and how our olfactory senses conjure up those recollections...amazing!

    Cheers,

    ericrico

    Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    True, today's Drakkar Noir is not the impolitely strong beast it used to be, although it has remained quite faithful to the original scent.

    Where i live, strong frags are not an issue so applying a bit more than i would have in the 80s compensates for any loss of strength, if strength is really required. But, thats where i live.
    Last edited by ericrico; 6th March 2013 at 06:48 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

    ― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

  9. #9

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    Olfactory fatigue?
    You may be onto something there, I have been wearing a lot of powerhouses recently so maybe I am too used to the kind of strength of those fragrances , maybe I should wear something light and wear Drakkar the following day and see how it seems then.
    I guess with people calling this a powerhouse I was expecting something really strong and leathery like Aramis , however I will say that this is a very nice fragrance

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    Olfactory fatigue?
    You may be onto something there, I have been wearing a lot of powerhouses recently so maybe I am too used to the kind of strength of those fragrances , maybe I should wear something light and wear Drakkar the following day and see how it seems then.
    I guess with people calling this a powerhouse I was expecting something really strong and leathery like Aramis , however I will say that this is a very nice fragrance

  10. #10

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    You are right -- it has been emasculated.
    Last edited by Kaern; 7th March 2013 at 10:20 AM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    Picked up a small bottle in January, slightly below average longevity for me.

  12. #12
    Basenotes Junkie VintagePoison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    504
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    The title threw me off, because I remember my dad's Drakkar being a crazy bomb that filled the room and permeated the walls. I had no idea it was reformulated.

  13. #13
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    52

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    Perfaddict is absolutely correct. I fully concur.

    The reformulated Drakkar Noir (which is still a top selling fragrance around the world) is a lighter scent than the Vintage juice. Oakmoss, the heavier, oily leather and ferocity has been dialed down. It still wears very well though. It is, as a counterpoint in vernacular to what perfaddict said, more "polite". It is more like Drakkar "Verde", instead of Drakkar "Noir" - Green vs. Black.

    Personally, I really enjoy a layered wearing of Vintage juice (even just dabbed on - neck, backs of hands) with current formulation - you get wonderful richness and power that the original powerhouse delivered and great, fresh greener notes. I apply that from a 100ml Spray bottle and tend to wear a liberal amount. It is a scent that still gets noticed (from distance!) and complimented. While there are many scents that are similar to Drakkar Noir, there is simply no replacing it - both in one's collection and in history. It is the fragrance that brings me right back to high school nights, parties, hot girls and make-out sessions! Sure, other scents were around...but Drakkar Noir was the 'one' you went to when it mattered most.

    I, personally, really enjoy how Guy Laroche has reformulated Drakkar Noir. At first, yes...it was missing something and I knew the reformulation had changed it. But, instead of looking for its weaknesses - I found its new positive points. I did this while getting a Vintage bottle. Honestly, while one could pull it off if they have the big brass balls it takes - doing a full-wearing of Vintage Drakkar Noir today is nuclear!!! I already have a reputation as the 'cologne guy' - that's been me since early high school (and even before when I snuck some from my father), but I think that balance is key when one wears scent nowadays...even in social settings.

    So, if your mind and heart are set on Vintage Drakkar Noir - it's out there and one can get it. Look at the other threads on how to distinguish bottles from sellers (distributed by Cosmair; PARIS is close together on the Vintage bottle at the bottom, while the current is P A R I S, etc.) It's easy to tell.

    For me, an undeniable and endearing classic. It will always be in my collection.

    And, on a final point - you just decided my SOTD and into the Evening! It will be a layered wearing of Drakkar Noir (Vintage, dabbed on with a EdT). Also, the After Shave balm and deodorant are very nice - I recommend buying a set of current. It can be found online and at TJ Maxx for bargain prices. It wears very well together...especially with a few strategically located dabs of Vintage. BTW, I also have Vintage Drakkar Noir in spray - in a layered wearing, just 2 shots and you're set. I actually prefer dabbing it on. The vibe is even different.

    When I was younger, a cupped handful from a Splash bottle or 5-6 sprays was common! We were crazy kids and you could smell the aroma of Drakkar at any party we were at! All in a haze of smoke and classic rock music and these superbad, hot new grunge bands called Pearl Jam, Nirvana, & Alice in Chains were blasting from the stereo!

    The memories of our youth - and how our olfactory senses conjure up those recollections...amazing!

    Cheers,

    ericrico
    I have a bottle of Drakkar that says cosmair on the back but Paris in the front is spaced far apart(the letters). Is it vintage?

  14. #14
    Basenotes Plus
    ericrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,126

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    Interesting, Louis -

    I would be curious to see photos of this bottle - I'm assuming it's a spray? I am not sure when Cosmair stopped distribution of Drakkar Noir.

    However, more important...how does it smell? The difference between current formulation and Vintage is very noticeable. If you know the scent well, you could tell. Even if you didn't - or it has been years since you wore Vintage...side-by-side leaves no question on whether or not you have Vintage.

    Please post the pictures here so we can all take a look. There are many other great Basenoters who have great knowledge & insight...I'm sure they would also be of assistance.

    Cheers,

    ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

    ― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

  15. #15
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    52

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    It smells very long lasting I do not know what the current formula smells like.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    As the others have already said, the current formulation is much weaker than the original, "vintage" version. I recently purchased a vintage bottle plus a couple of backup vintage bottles... and am back in the 80's again the juice is strong, with great projection & longevity!
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

  17. #17
    Basenotes Plus
    ericrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,126

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    Hey Louis -

    Try clicking "Insert Image" on the reply so we can all see it. It opens an uploader and you can get it from your computer.

    Cheers,

    ericrico

    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    It smells very long lasting I do not know what the current formula smells like.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

    ― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

  18. #18
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    52

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    dn 1.jpgdn 2.jpg

    So what do you think? Is this vintage, and if so, from what period?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    dn 1.jpgdn 2.jpg

    So what do you think? Is this vintage, and if so, from what period?
    If it says Cosmair Inc in the back of the Bottle, it is Vintage! Congratulations., as for what time period?, you got me.

    - - - Updated - - -

    - - - Updated - - -

    Y
    Last edited by Cheeva; 20th April 2013 at 11:09 PM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    Quote Originally Posted by shoulderpet View Post
    Hi ,

    As title , I have recently bought a bottle of Drakkar Noir (100ml) , on offer from the current uk price (in shops) of £40 down to £20 , however considering how much this costs in the UK I am shocked by the lack of strength,longevity and projection in this especially considering that some consider this a powerhouse, I get little longevity and very little projection.
    To be fair to Drakkar, it does smell amazing and I would buy another bottle but I would not buy a bottle at the full retail price, I think I can safely assume this fragrance is a victim of reformulation ?

    It's not your fault except for buying a cheap cologne. The days of good designer colognes are over (for now). Buy a bottle of niche and you will be MUCH happier.

    I am on a crusade to stop people from wasting money on garbage.

  21. #21
    Basenotes Plus
    ericrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,126

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    I would have to lean towards agreeing that this is, most likely, Vintage as well. I looked at my recent/current formulation bottle and the distributor is Luxury Products, LLC (copyright 2004). I found another thread here on Basenotes (as we've discussed Drakkar Noir a lot in the time since I joined). Someone who seems to have good historical knowledge of the scent said that the Cosmair relationship ended sometime in the mid-90's (prior to reformulation and the Oakmoss regulation by IFRA).

    Funny - from the front of your bottle, I would first guess...Current/Recent. However, the back is more telling. So, it could be a late release from Drakkar Noir that was distributed through Cosmair (with the spacing of P A R I S). A unique bottle, actually. Nothing like I've seen personally. I have several Vintage bottles - none like this.

    So...does it smell rich, deep and like Vintage or more fresh and green like current?

    Best wishes,

    ericrico

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeva View Post
    If it says Cosmair Inc in the back of the Bottle, it is Vintage! Congratulations., as for what time period?, you got me.

    - - - Updated - - -

    - - - Updated - - -

    Y
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

    ― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

  22. #22

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    Buy yourself a bottle of Belcam's Classic Match Drakkar Noir and don't look back. If you are above buying a blatant knockoff (even if it is far superior to the real thing)then buy Ceasars Man, or Lomani Pour Homme.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    I remember my dad use to wear this when I was kid back in the 80s, and it was strong and really nice. He bought a 200 ml bottle recently and was shocked to discover that it was really weak relative to what it was in the 80s, also he said it smelt very synthetic and cheap, which this fragrance was not. Being a fougere fragrance, Drakkar was heavily dependent on Oakmoss, which is now banned, hence the demise of what was a wonderful fragrance.

  24. #24
    Basenotes Plus
    ericrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,126

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    While it certainly is not what it used to be, I think Guy Laroche has done a rather good job of reformulating this to a more 'wearable' scent for the new millennium. While it does not have the bravado of Original Vintage juice...the greenness of the current is still very nice. Actually, nice to layer with just a few dabs or a couple of sprays of Vintage - you will definitely know you are wearing Drakkar Noir and so will the people within a 10-15 ft. radius of you!

    I tried to find out as much as I could on the reformulation and Guy Laroche kept the maximum .1% Oakmoss (yes, significantly reduced) but there is added tree moss. I think wearing Vintage today (by itself) is just balls - but it will not have the effect it did when I was in high school (I'm a 1991 grad). This was THE panty-dropper and was simply amazing. Today, the current juice with a light touch of Vintage is more than enough to get the 'point' across.

    So, while your father is correct that the Oakmoss has been reduced (and I've written a lot about this)...the recent bottle I have of reformulated juice modernizes the scent in some ways. Add the extra rich oakmoss and greasy leather as you wish with a bottle of Vintage...

    Cheers,

    ericrico

    Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    I remember my dad use to wear this when I was kid back in the 80s, and it was strong and really nice. He bought a 200 ml bottle recently and was shocked to discover that it was really weak relative to what it was in the 80s, also he said it smelt very synthetic and cheap, which this fragrance was not. Being a fougere fragrance, Drakkar was heavily dependent on Oakmoss, which is now banned, hence the demise of what was a wonderful fragrance.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

    ― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

  25. #25
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    52

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    No its not a knockoff, the drakkar, I found it in my parents house I must of left it there when I moved out back in 1992. I also found a full bottle of versace l'homme original formula and a vintage aramis 900!

  26. #26

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    So far Drakkar even got me quite a few negative comments for being too strong, with too much projection and longevity.

  27. #27
    Basenotes Plus
    ericrico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,126

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    Hey Louis -

    You answered your own question - 1992 is, most certainly, a Vintage bottle. Original Versace L'Homme and an old bottle of Vintage Aramis. You are in a time warp of aromas...all brilliant!

    Enjoy the trip back in time through your olfactory memories of all of these classics.

    Cheers,

    ericrico

    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    No its not a knockoff, the drakkar, I found it in my parents house I must of left it there when I moved out back in 1992. I also found a full bottle of versace l'homme original formula and a vintage aramis 900!
    - - - Updated - - -

    Thank you, Ken_Russell -

    My point exactly...Vintage (even just a few dabs or a couple of light sprays) with the reformulated juice is strong. I have had people make comments that were about the power as well - not quite 'negative', but certainly they may have felt I was wearing too much!

    Oh well - to each their own. I asked a couple of people if they liked it and they either did or were indifferent, and some knew it was Drakkar Noir...but, I was the "cologne guy" immediately. I must say that compliments far outweigh negative feedback for me, so I keep enjoying it (just sometimes a little lighter application).

    That is why I believe the reformulated juice is definitely more 'wearable'...a good case in point.

    Cheers,

    ericrico

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    So far Drakkar even got me quite a few negative comments for being too strong, with too much projection and longevity.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

    ― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

  28. #28

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    I agree with you on the current formulation of Drakkar ericrico. In fact there was a time when I prefered the current formulation, but my tastes have changed since then. It is still an amazing fragrance.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    And there was a time when i thought classic's like these could
    never be reformulated, this just goes on to show us that the
    only thing constant, is change.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    While it certainly is not what it used to be, I think Guy Laroche has done a rather good job of reformulating this to a more 'wearable' scent for the new millennium. While it does not have the bravado of Original Vintage juice...the greenness of the current is still very nice. Actually, nice to layer with just a few dabs or a couple of sprays of Vintage - you will definitely know you are wearing Drakkar Noir and so will the people within a 10-15 ft. radius of you!

    I tried to find out as much as I could on the reformulation and Guy Laroche kept the maximum .1% Oakmoss (yes, significantly reduced) but there is added tree moss. I think wearing Vintage today (by itself) is just balls - but it will not have the effect it did when I was in high school (I'm a 1991 grad). This was THE panty-dropper and was simply amazing. Today, the current juice with a light touch of Vintage is more than enough to get the 'point' across.

    So, while your father is correct that the Oakmoss has been reduced (and I've written a lot about this)...the recent bottle I have of reformulated juice modernizes the scent in some ways. Add the extra rich oakmoss and greasy leather as you wish with a bottle of Vintage...

    Cheers,

    ericrico
    Tree moss and Oakmoss are quite different, Oakmoss is very central to chypre fragrances, without it they lose most of their character. While the current Drakkar is not bad, I can for a fact say the current bottles have poor sillage and average longevity. I wish they had 10-15 ft projection, the vintage bottles did. Power fragrances without their power are just useless.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 24th April 2013 at 02:30 PM.

  31. #31

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    I to have to agree that the new formula scent has indeed pretty much stayed faithful to the vintage but I also agree that it is a lot weaker than it used to be.

  32. #32

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    dn 1.jpgdn 2.jpg

    So what do you think? Is this vintage, and if so, from what period?
    I am afraid, that this bottle is in production from 1998 year, but it is possible, that this bottle is produced after 2000 also. I have same bottles from 2001 and 2002. It depend on batch code.

    Here is very helpful Adreas Moreau link:
    http://raidersofthelostscent.blogspo...-perfumes.html

  33. #33

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    No problems with strength of longevity from my current bottle of Drakkar. Olfactory fatigue is perhaps the real issue with this one. I'm also afraid of over-applying.

  34. #34

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    ...The days of good designer colognes are over (for now)...
    With respect, I believe this may be the most incorrect generalisation of the day (week... month...year)?

  35. #35
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,516

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    It doesn't have nuclear sillage but it is fine with me - 4 spritzes under the shirt will go a long way.

  36. #36
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/maps/XJ8rn
    Posts
    3,516

    Default Re: Drakkar - No Strength

    Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    While it certainly is not what it used to be, I think Guy Laroche has done a rather good job of reformulating this to a more 'wearable' scent for the new millennium. While it does not have the bravado of Original Vintage juice...the greenness of the current is still very nice. Actually, nice to layer with just a few dabs or a couple of sprays of Vintage - you will definitely know you are wearing Drakkar Noir and so will the people within a 10-15 ft. radius of you!

    I tried to find out as much as I could on the reformulation and Guy Laroche kept the maximum .1% Oakmoss (yes, significantly reduced) but there is added tree moss. I think wearing Vintage today (by itself) is just balls - but it will not have the effect it did when I was in high school (I'm a 1991 grad). This was THE panty-dropper and was simply amazing. Today, the current juice with a light touch of Vintage is more than enough to get the 'point' across.

    So, while your father is correct that the Oakmoss has been reduced (and I've written a lot about this)...the recent bottle I have of reformulated juice modernizes the scent in some ways. Add the extra rich oakmoss and greasy leather as you wish with a bottle of Vintage...

    Cheers,

    ericrico
    Besides IFRA's issues and the rest, I sometimes think that 80's power scents were tuned down because of changing trends. CK's Obsession was beastly, you could suffocate from men wearing it, now it is not.

    Sometimes you can find ways around in order to increase sillage. In the case of CK, layering it with the women's version will get you an idea of how it was when released. Same thug happened to me with the actual formulation of Jules and a local niche scent, El Otro Tigre by Fueguia 1833.

    Here comes a bashing argument: I once layered Chanel's Cuir de Russie with a small application of Iso E Super, it improve longevity markedly. I did not get Iso E Super's sweet accords, I guess the original blend was quite resilient in this aspect - an experience I dare not repeat (an insult to the perfumist, my Grandma would say).

    From then on I experimented blending Iso E Super with low priced scents, it does have an effect on longevity, not sillage. The bad point is that it sweetened the original blends to a point they became unbearable.

    Funny, I do't get the same accord in scents that are rich in Iso E Super (Encre Noir and Terre).

Similar Threads

  1. Ultimate strength!
    By Rossi46 in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 22nd January 2011, 01:44 AM
  2. Aftershave that has EDP strength?
    By Bigsly in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 8th May 2008, 03:46 PM
  3. Difference between EDP and EDT, not just strength?
    By sunshowers in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 3rd April 2008, 12:26 AM
  4. Drakkar - not Drakkar Noir
    By narcus in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30th April 2007, 04:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000