Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Creed - Quality or Con

I keep seeing the Aventus batch number thread being resurected time after time and it got me thinking.

If Creed is such a good perfumery company, why do they have variations in batches? What has happened to their quality control? Is it a case of they don't care because people will buy Creed just so they can say they can afford it?

Other major perfumeries don't have variations in batches, so why does Creed have this problem?
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Sound Scents

Default Re: Creed - Quality or Con

I like and own some of their scents and dislike many of their others. That said, on the quality side of the spectrum I personally rank them relatively low on the whole.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

I can buy high quality ingredients but if I whip up two different batches I doubt they would smell exactly alike. The point is that your concern is not about ingredient quality but quality control (in terms of the finished product). I wonder why companies that market designer scents for a lot of money can't just spend a dollar or so more per 100 ml to prevent the nasty "synthetic" qualities so many of them possess. LT seems to think the accountants are allowed to dictate such things. I wouldn't be surprised if he was correct !

There is no doubt they make some of the best fragrances which endure the test of time. GIT, MI, Aventus (while relatively new is a classic already) Their ingredients are above reproach. BUT their overall batch variations, poor quality atomizers that squeak and fall off, labels that peel, attest to their lack of consistency. Many (not all) Creed lovers get defensive, angry, defend every fragrance no matter the foulness or mediocrity, with fiery passion. There wouldn't be so many Creed bashers if the Creed lovers would just be more realistic. My favorite houses have flops and duds, and so does Creed. Half of the batch variations talk is genuine differences, and half is paranoid untrained newbies who believe they smell/don't smell something that isn't there. Just tallying up the THOUSANDS of posts about batches, you will find completely contradictory posts. "Batch A has no pineapple" While 3 pages on, someone else praises the powerful Pineapple of the same Batch A. I heard someone say it was a conspiracy by Creed Trolls to keep people talking about Aventus. I generally don't believe in conspiracies, but that makes sense... in a warped and twisted way.
    Last edited by Diogenes65; 6th March 2013 at 11:15 AM.

With natural ingredients not all batches are necessarily the same, but Creed could do with trying to have more consistency. At least they are not repeatedly reformulating in short intervals like Dior Homme recently.

I love Creed Frags, but batch variations aside, loose fitting caps and peeling labels (the black wrap on both my Aventus bottles) peeling is inexcusable.

Creed is the biggest con known to the mankind. (perfumed-mankind)

People who still complain about batch numbers with Aventus are not up to date. The last year they have all been good, so it would seem they have it down to a science or something. Same goes for most other Creeds. While there are some batches that are "better' according to the community, all of them are good quality and worth the $125 price tag via places like fragrancenet.

Maybe I'm on my own on this, but as long as it smells good and lasts well, I don't care about small quirks like a loose cap or something like that. You wear the fragrance all day, you look at the bottle for five seconds. Now, I like good looking bottles like any other collector, and I honestly think they have awesome bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    Other major perfumeries don't have variations in batches, so why does Creed have this problem?
    Well, in all honesty, if a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it... If Rose Noir by Byredo smells a little different from one batch to another, who would know? Who buys multiple bottle of that? The fact that people can detect differences from one to another (and not all Creed products - I mostly only hear about it from a few) proves that Creed is quality. Maybe not consistent, but quality in terms of creating something people actually want. And it seems pretty clear they are the best at doing that.

And they are not the only one - I have recently gotten around to trying the 2 attars from Amouage available in the US (Homage and Tribute). Both vastly overrated IMO. I keep reading about batch variations with those - but the funny thing is, people don't seem to rip apart Amouage in these forums for that. Also, people rip on Creeds prices. But Amouage fragrances are also more expensive (even the non-attars). No one says much about that either. I love Amouage, but there seems to be a clear double-standard.

And what about Dior Fahrenheit, Polo, Kurous, etc? But people write that off as "reformulation". Is that any better? That is usually worse, since the difference betweeen what you experienced before and what you just bought is usually greater than the overblown batch variations of some of the Creed masterpieces.

But dear God I wish they would do something about those horrid sprayers...
    Last edited by dougczar; 6th March 2013 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Well, in all honesty, if a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it... If Rose Noir by Byredo smells a little different from one batch to another, who would know? Who buys multiple bottle of that? The fact that people can detect differences from one to another (and not all Creed products - I mostly only hear about it from a few) proves that Creed is quality. Maybe not consistent, but quality in terms of creating something people actually want. And it seems pretty clear they are the best at doing that.

And they are not the only one - I have recently gotten around to trying the 2 attars from Amouage available in the US (Homage and Tribute). Both vastly overrated IMO. I keep reading about batch variations with those - but the funny thing is, people don't seem to rip apart Amouage in these forums for that. Also, people rip on Creeds prices. But Amouage fragrances are also more expensive (even the non-attars). No one says much about that either. I love Amouage, but there seems to be a clear double-standard.

And what about Dior Fahrenheit, Polo, Kurous, etc? But people write that off as "reformulation". Is that any better? That is usually worse, since the difference betweeen what you experienced before and what you just bought is usually greater than the overblown batch variations of some of the Creed masterpieces.

But dear God I wish they would do something about those horrid sprayers...
    See!!! Creed lovers are sooooo touchy and over-protective. Notice no one jumped to "defend the good name" of Amouage...

What matters is if you like the smell of what you spray.

Everything else is almost irrelevant.
    for swap/sale:

Dependent
    Blog Entries

When I think to perfumes launched in the '60, '70, even '80, the ones I have smelled thousand of times, I can easily affirm that "Creed" ( and several others expensive brands) are absolutely average perfumes. Not bad, but nothing extraordinary.
    The hype surrounding perfumes such as "Aventus" is really a mistery for my old-scents trained nose.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    What matters is if you like the smell of what you spray.

Everything else is almost irrelevant.
    Except the sticky peeling labels, the atomizers that won't squirt so you have to decant into another, the caps that keep falling on the floor, the...

I do love some of their fragrances and they are quality but they do have serious issues with batch variations that needs to be addressed. I mean you never hear of Guerlain or Dior having batch variations with their scents.
    Currently wearing: Chypre Palatin by MDCI

Quality. Maybe batch variations are do to the variations the "natural" ingredients they may use. Synthetic ingredients probably don't vary as greatly.

actually creed fragrances smell more synthetic than most fragrances i have
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I do love some of their fragrances and they are quality but they do have serious issues with batch variations that needs to be addressed. I mean you never hear of Guerlain or Dior having batch variations with their scents.
    I disagree with this. Amouage has batch variations, and has been pointed out on other posts. I do hear of batch variations with Dior and Guerlain - but for those houses, they are called "reformulations". Just look at all the makeup and motor oil lovers lamenting about their recent pickup of DH or Fahrenheit and how it doesn't seem to smell the same as the last bottle they owned... checking batch numbers to see when it may have been changed... same thing - only the variation is much greater.

Other than MI and Aventus, I don't really hear of any batch variation issues - and from what I understand (I admittedly don't follow the batch game very closely) the worst batches were in 2010, and since then they have been much better.

Perhaps the variations when Aventus first came out were intentional? A few variants to see what people liked better? I don't see people comparing batches of GIT or Erolfa or Spice & Wood.

I also think that if people would stop buying their Creed products from the Grey market (or fakes)... they would not detect such a variation in batches. A hot warehouse in the middle of nowhere can create some pretty big variations. But people want to save a few bucks... then complain about the quality.

But they should take a note from Dior on how to make a spray nozzle. Those Creed sprayers are the worst - they grunt, squeek and misfire half the time.

As I personally don't pay attention to batch differences, this question never occurred to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes65 View Post
    See!!! Creed lovers are sooooo touchy and over-protective. Notice no one jumped to "defend the good name" of Amouage...
    If people kept starting threads bashing Amouage for their Attar variations, or Dior for their incessant reformulations and how they must be a low quality farce, I would probably respond by point out Creed in response as well.

When someone starts a post to start a conversation - is it not normal to get some "me too" responses and some "I disagree" responses as well?

I promise that if you started a thread saying Dior is just "riding on the coat tails" of their previous successful releases, and they were overrated and they are obviouly low quality because of their reformulations, etc. you would get a whole lot of responses from people that could be considered as "touchy and over-protective".

If people kept starting threads bashing Amouage for their Attar variations, or Dior for their incessant reformulations and how they must be a low quality farce, I would probably respond by point out Creed in response as well.

When someone starts a post to start a conversation - is it not normal to get some "me too" responses and some "I disagree" responses as well?

I promise that if you started a thread saying Dior is just "riding on the coat tails" of their previous successful releases, and they were overrated and they are obviouly low quality because of their reformulations, etc. you would get a whole lot of responses from people that could be considered as "touchy and over-protective".
    LOL just teasing...Touchy touchy Creed people!

I disagree with this. Amouage has batch variations, and has been pointed out on other posts. I do hear of batch variations with Dior and Guerlain - but for those houses, they are called "reformulations". Just look at all the makeup and motor oil lovers lamenting about their recent pickup of DH or Fahrenheit and how it doesn't seem to smell the same as the last bottle they owned... checking batch numbers to see when it may have been changed... same thing - only the variation is much greater.

Other than MI and Aventus, I don't really hear of any batch variation issues - and from what I understand (I admittedly don't follow the batch game very closely) the worst batches were in 2010, and since then they have been much better.

Perhaps the variations when Aventus first came out were intentional? A few variants to see what people liked better? I don't see people comparing batches of GIT or Erolfa or Spice & Wood.

I also think that if people would stop buying their Creed products from the Grey market (or fakes)... they would not detect such a variation in batches. A hot warehouse in the middle of nowhere can create some pretty big variations. But people want to save a few bucks... then complain about the quality.

But they should take a note from Dior on how to make a spray nozzle. Those Creed sprayers are the worst - they grunt, squeek and misfire half the time.
    ^ Fully agree with all the above. I'm a lucky guy with the sprayers I guess, all mine spray just fine. Had an Aventus lable peel on the back corner, I'm so glad it didn't turn into a panic attack, yawn, there are the most tiring useless threads.

Creed is a good house IMO. But, their batch problems ara a major flaw.
    Currently wearing: Memoir Man by Amouage

Keep in mind Creed is a premium product, and gets treated as such. Do you want a mass-reprinted piece of art on your wall or a hand-painted item that is #5 in a lot of 50 done by the artist? The latter may have variations.

Likewise, you're talking also about people who have probably shelled out a pretty penny for the luxury of owning a Creed frag. I myself fall into the trap of defending and even over-inflating my opinion of something just because it's mine and my choice and my money that I spent. It's almost snobbish or elitist, but sometimes it's just someone being overly defensive about their investment.

Personally, I don't ever want to be so picky that I haggle about batch numbers. It's much ado about something that takes away my energy and life from other more satisfying things or more important things to worry about.

Basenotes Member

It was about a week ago that I introduced myself with a question about Creed. My concerns were answered and as a layman it seemed right not to worry too much about batch numbers etc. As it was pointed out to me, "if you like it, buy it" and not get bogged down with discrepancies in the notes. I was determined to go the next day to my local retailer and purchase my favorites, but something stopped me. Apart from the paranoia of buying a bad'n, Dailey is quite right that certain things are inexcusable. For what you pay, and for the name that the Creed family have built up, the marketing should be perfect, not only in respect for their customers but for their own self respect. And here lies the problem IMHO, who actually runs the House of Creed?

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

I heard from fairly reputable sources that in order to stay true to their ancient & illustrious heritage Creed fragrances are still meticulously blended by hand, by the dwarves no less, deep in their mountain caverns where it's always dark and cold. It's impossible for truly artisanal handcrafted products to be identical, hence the so called batch variations.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    I reserve this distinction for Bond No. 9.

Regardless, the whole batch differences is a problem to me. I can name other fragrances where a certain note or the drydown was different than the prior bottle. The changes per lot may not be as ranged as Creed per batch, but the differences are there and I'm not wholly sure if it's due to "natural" ingredients - I dispute that they use natural ingredients since aromatic chemicals have gotten to the point where they are quickly replacing true natural ingredients and trained noses might even get slightly tripped up on some compositions - or if its due to sourcing materials from different sources.

I tend to suspect the latter moreso than the former. Regardless; it's a con only if you believe their marketing and dislike the product. I like some of their products (GIT, SMW, Aventus, Royal Ceylan, Neroli Sauvage, Himalaya, others) and others I dislike (Orange Spice, Tabarome, VIW, Original Santal, others).

Buy what you like; avoid buying into the hype.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    I reserve this distinction for Bond No. 9.

Regardless, the whole batch differences is a problem to me. I can name other fragrances where a certain note or the drydown was different than the prior bottle. The changes per lot may not be as ranged as Creed per batch, but the differences are there and I'm not wholly sure if it's due to "natural" ingredients - I dispute that they use natural ingredients since aromatic chemicals have gotten to the point where they are quickly replacing true natural ingredients and trained noses might even get slightly tripped up on some compositions - or if its due to sourcing materials from different sources.

I tend to suspect the latter moreso than the former. Regardless; it's a con only if you believe their marketing and dislike the product. I like some of their products (GIT, SMW, Aventus, Royal Ceylan, Neroli Sauvage, Himalaya, others) and others I dislike (Orange Spice, Tabarome, VIW, Original Santal, others).

Buy what you like; avoid buying into the hype.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread

Basenotes Junkie

CON. And there are plenty who fall for it! I'm looking at you Aventus fanboys.

Tbh, I have never had sprayer or label problems.

I cannot accept the argument that it's the vatations in naturals, 99% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. It's the reported variations in ingredient quantities that seem strange to me. If the batches are all hand made, that is even more reason for the quantities to be exact, unless the caverns are pitch black and theelves can't see what they are doing
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I heard from fairly reputable sources that in order to stay true to their ancient & illustrious heritage Creed fragrances are still meticulously blended by hand, by the dwarves no less, deep in their mountain caverns where it's always dark and cold. It's impossible for truly artisanal handcrafted products to be identical, hence the so called batch variations.

Actually, this is what Olivier Creed would like us to believe according to the article in the Independent on Sunday magazine (3rd March). The guy seems quite arrogant and stated that he doesn't want to go mass market because he would have to start using synthetics in the fragrances, which would follow the inevitable price drop (didn't know whether to laugh or cry). So, he is doing us all a favour by charging £145 per bottle and using all natural ingredients -- wouldn't that be nearer £2000 just to break even? The interviewer tried to provoke him re Luca Turin's comments about Creed as a company in general in the Guide and Olivier said that he had never heard of him ..'but would like to take him to lunch..'.Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes65 View Post
    LOL just teasing...Touchy touchy Creed people!
    LOL - I'm still waiting to get on the Creed payroll... Not sure why they haven't called me yet...

- - - Updated - - -

Question - I had never heard of Creed before joining BN last year... I don't read every magazine or watch everything on TV, but after hearing about all this ridiculous Creed marketing, I have been paying attention to any advertising for fragrances in print or TV. I haven't seen any - could someone point me to a few places where I can read / see their claims? I am curious to see some of the claims they make (in their marketing, not an interview with someone who works there).