Code of Conduct

Thread: Moxalone

Default Moxalone

I wonder if anyone here knows whether Moxalone is biodegradable or not.

Default Re: Moxalone

I can't find a database page for it at TGSC, where are you buying it from?
    It looks like it might be a Givaudan Product...

I see that Wiki lists it a captive that's been released, but more than that I am lacking...

Thanks,
    Paul Kiler
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

'In 1979, M. Klaus of F. Hoffmann-La Roche discovered by serendipity a new intense
    musk odorant with some damascone-like and woody nuances. In the course of synthetic
    work on aromatic retinoids he had synthesised the hexahydroindene 65, which because
    of its powerful odour soon became internally known as klausenone (65) in Hoffmann-La
    Roche and also at Givaudan, at that time the flavour and fragrance division of Roche. As
    65 is structurally not an aromatic polycycle, the musk odour of 65 was rather surprising.
    Attempts to develop an industrially feasible route to klausenone (65) turned out to be
    more difficult than anticipated, and thus derivatives were also investigated [38]. The
    corresponding alcohol, obtained by LAH reduction of 65, possessed as well a pronounced
    musk note, indicating the carbonyl function was no prerequiste. Surprisingly, the epoxide
    intermediate 66, en route to a methyl klausenone by acid-catalysed rearrangement, turned
    out to be the best musk odorant of the whole series and it was introduced into perfumery
    as Moxalone® (66). Moxalone® (66) had its debut in »Eden« (Cacharel, 1994) by Jean
    Guichard and was even at 0.62% an important cornerstone in the unisex fragrance
    »CK be« (C. Klein, 1996) created by René Morgenthaler.'

bib.convdocs.org/v38471/?download=1

-
    Last edited by Skelly; 6th March 2013 at 07:01 PM.

Oh Yes, Skelly, that's a valuable resource, I had it already but great post from all of your response...
    Thanks
    PS, I think I should just print it out and bind it for the Perfumarium Library...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Pkiler: Not buying it, but am potentially interested in it - if it is biodegradable.

Sorry, but I still wonder the same thing...maybe it is possible to deduce from the text Skelly kindly posted above whether Moxalone is biodegradable or not, but I don't have the expertise to do so. Anyone?

Assuming that 66 isn't a polycycle I'd say... *guess alert* yes it is.

Maybe.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
    Assuming that 66 isn't a polycycle I'd say... *guess alert* yes it is.

Maybe.

-
    Thanks for the guess Skelly

Anyone else?

Plaisir, Did you actually have a source to buy this? my new reasearch seems to say it's a captive...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

If it's very important to you whether or not it's quickly biodegradable, then to be on the safe side, don't use it or anything you think may or may not contain it. There you go.