Code of Conduct

Default I'm Loving Guerlains Heritage EDT

I managed to obtain one of those official 4ml sample bottles and this scent really is class and respect in a bottle.

I mainly get patchouli,lavender,woods with a good dose of vanilla. There is a aspect to this scent that smells conservative but the vanilla softens this aspect making it more friendly and good for formal and casual use.

I splashed some on after having a shave and went into the office feeling like a "classy man of respect and honour" and had a few good comments from people.

Anyone else liking good old Heritage by Guerlain as I am leaning towards getting a bottle at some point. Good stuff.

Oh yes I nearly forgot this also reminds me of a toned down version of Creeds Boi Du Portugal but with a good dose of vanilla to make it more friendly and less austere.

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: I'm Loving Guerlains Heritage EDT

A hearty clap on the back. Good choice and description.

A truly classic scent IMO.

Is this better than Jaipur Homme EdP or a totally different scent?

Actually, I never sampled Heritage. Now that I read your review, I will give it a shot. Thanks for the review.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Totally different. I get a lot of patchouli in Heritage, Jaipur is more about cinnamon, powder and vanilla.

Basenotes Plus

Restrained timeless elegance, with great juxtaposition of well balanced notes - leans towards yesteryear but still worthy of a place in any modern wardrobe IMO. I wouldn't be without a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    ... feeling like a "classy man of respect and honour" .
    Yessir! I also love Héritage, the EDT and the EDP, especially the vintage formulations ;-).

I got a sample of the EDP and liked it so much I just bought the EDT online.... I couldn't find the EDP anywhere!

Just got the EDP and EDT. Much prefer the EDT. The EDP has a skanky note in it i don't really like.

I'm a fan of this one. I think LIDGE is a direct descendant; Heritage is much more powdery and thus perhaps 'dated' (which doesn't bother me). Great sillage and longevity too.

I really love Heritage. Buy it, wear it, love it. Yes, it is similar to Bois du Portugal, which is also one of my favorites. I have never tried the extrait version which is supposed to be great. Heritage is the most versatile and accessable Guerlian for men, I think and hold true to its design brief.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Agree with the man who says they are different, but I think you will like the EDP. Not a good blind buy and a bit dark ( I think there is a warm civet-like accord in it). I am not nuts about the EDT for some reason ( I have sampled the vintages and current). But the EDT is still a solid fragrance. I just love the EDP and whichever one you choose, it will make you feel classy and good !
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Yes I'm a big fan of Heritage. It's a "proper" scent. Classy, complex with great longevity. The drydown gets better and better.
    I think I prefer it to Bois Du Portugal.

A true masterpiece but unfortunately not heavy enough. Longevity on my skin is around 3hrs. I wonder if Creed's BDP is my answer..even with their batch variations ?

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by jhoefen View Post
    Just got the EDP and EDT. Much prefer the EDT. The EDP has a skanky note in it i don't really like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Agree with the man who says they are different, but I think you will like the EDP. Not a good blind buy and a bit dark ( I think there is a warm civet-like accord in it). I am not nuts about the EDT for some reason ( I have sampled the vintages and current). But the EDT is still a solid fragrance. I just love the EDP and whichever one you choose, it will make you feel classy and good !
    I like both, but agree that the EdP does have an animalic component, especially in the opening. I like it. It's not hugely skanky, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    I really love Heritage. Buy it, wear it, love it. Yes, it is similar to Bois du Portugal, which is also one of my favorites. I have never tried the extrait version which is supposed to be great. Heritage is the most versatile and accessable Guerlian for men, I think and hold true to its design brief.
    There is no Heritage extrait - only the EdT and EdP. It's a fairly classic style men's fragrance, so for people that favor modern scents it will probably not be very appealing. They should stick to the L'Instants and Guerlain Hommes.

i love it though - its a warm woody oriental with big, 80s style projection. Beautifully composed.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    A true masterpiece but unfortunately not heavy enough. Longevity on my skin is around 3hrs. I wonder if Creed's BDP is my answer..even with their batch variations ?
    I get pretty good longevity with Heritage, and I generally have problems in that department.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am quite fond of the EdP, and seriously considering adding the EdT to my collection, too. It is fine stuff, warm, spicy, rich, seductive. Highly welcome in any well-rounded collection.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Restrained timeless elegance, with great juxtaposition of well balanced notes. I wouldn't be without a bottle.
    ...this (EDT/EDP)...!

Love Heritage EDT . . . it's one of my favorite scents for formal outings.

Personally, I would say that Heritage is Guerlain's best male offering. I prefer it even to vintage Derby.
    Holiday accommodation, (central apartments in Berlin and south of France) offered in exchange for fragrances. Please pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I'm a fan of this one. I think LIDGE is a direct descendant; Heritage is much more powdery and thus perhaps 'dated' (which doesn't bother me). Great sillage and longevity too.
    I do smell the similarities also between these two. LIDGE is less powdery, with sweetness coming from cocoa.

- - - Updated - - -

I been fond of Heritage EDT from smelling it at the mall. Finally ended up buying it about 1 month ago. The first 1-2 wearings I was overloaded with patchouli. I was about to sell it. I don't know why but after that, the patchouli has calmed down and I get the vanilla, sandalwood, and patch with hints of lavender and amber.

As of today, I like it a lot and do feel classy while wearing it. It just is so smooth and smells of quality. It is a welcome break from the gourmands, aquatics, and citrusy fragrances.

Surprised it took so long for you to get to this one Jack. I owned the EDP for a long time and wasnt wearing it often. Prefer the EDT, of the two. Curiously inexpensive when you compare it to Derby.

You're loving Heritage edt...as you well should!

Basenotes Plus

I have Vintage Heritage in EdT and concur - it is extremely refined, elegant and should have "class" as a listed note in the scent pyramid.

Another beauty from Guerlain. I will refrain from comparing it to anything else but will say, that it is one of the best masculine bottles you can get from the house in the price range.

Guerlain's Vetiver, Habit Rouge & Heritage (all Vintage formulations), could conceivably be all a man needs in a lifetime for any occasion to smell wonderful...

Enjoy.

Cheers,

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    I have Vintage Heritage in EdT and concur - it is extremely refined, elegant and should have "class" as a listed note in the scent pyramid.

Another beauty from Guerlain. I will refrain from comparing it to anything else but will say, that it is one of the best masculine bottles you can get from the house in the price range.

Guerlain's Vetiver, Habit Rouge & Heritage (all Vintage formulations), could conceivably be all a man needs in a lifetime for any occasion to smell wonderful...

Enjoy.

Cheers,

ericrico
    Thanks Ericrico, but can we draw you to comment on the current formulation?

Basenotes Plus

Hello Martinijo -

In regards to current Heritage, I would like to refer to this comparative review - http://www.nstperfume.com/2011/06/29...grance-review/ - the concensus is that the reformulation is simply not as good or rich, but is still a decent overall bottle of juice.

I would ask for others to contribute, but there are a lot of postings at the bottom of that article that covers what Vintage Heritage was all about (EdT & EdP) back in the 90's. Personally, it is one that I respect, but rarely wear. Not because I don't like it...but, to me, it must be the perfect occasion. Rare, precious stuff.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Thanks Ericrico, but can we draw you to comment on the current formulation?
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

I guess the trick is knowing when it is the perfect occasion.
    Thanks for your contribution, as always.

Bump

Ok I now have a full bottle of the recent formulation and my sample was the first vintage formulation so I thought I would for interests sake compare them both.

On the opening the vintage comes out swinging and is very strong the lavender and bergamont is quite astringent where the current formula is softer and well behaved. The vanilla in the current seems to be more prominent straight away and more well rounded where in the vintage it was muted but more mossy with woods in the basenotes.

Overall the vintage was a powerhouse with a spicy bite to it where in the current formula it's rough edges have been rounded off and made more softer and it's been toned down a lot.

I gotta say I do prefer the vintage as it was strong where the current feels a bit watered down, I mean the current still smells good. Its just with the vintage you could smell its power without having to smell yourself up close.

The upside is that the current is more versatile and the Guerlain vanilla accord is more upfront and the experience is more smooth and rounded out.

Downside is the spicy bite and strength that made it extra special is gone, it's a shame what they have done to a lot of the Eighties scents. I guess the golden rule with the classics is to go vintage if you can find one as that extra pep and mossy accords do add a lot to the fragrance.
    Last edited by Jack Hunter; 11th March 2013 at 08:50 AM.

Bump

Ok I now have a full bottle of the recent formulation and my sample was the first vintage formulation so I thought I would for interests sake compare them both.

On the opening the vintage comes out swinging and is very strong the lavender and bergamont is quite astringent where the current formula is softer and well behaved. The vanilla in the current seems to be more prominent straight away and more well rounded where in the vintage it was muted but more mossy with woods in the basenotes.

Overall the vintage was a powerhouse with a spicy bite to it where in the current formula it's rough edges have been rounded off and made more softer and it's been toned down a lot.

I gotta say I do prefer the vintage as it was strong where the current feels a bit watered down, I mean the current still smells good. Its just with the vintage you could smell its power without having to smell yourself up close.

The upside is that the current is more versatile and the Guerlain vanilla accord is more upfront and the experience is more smooth and rounded out.

Downside is the spicy bite and strength that made it extra special is gone, it's a shame what they have done to a lot of the Eighties scents. I guess the golden rule with the classics is to go vintage if you can find one as that extra pep and mossy accords do add a lot to the fragrance.
    The same old story.
    Now I'm going to have to try the vintage, or do I try to avoid it on the grounds that you don't miss what you never had..

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    The same old story.
    Now I'm going to have to try the vintage, or do I try to avoid it on the grounds that you don't miss what you never had..
    I would not bother to try the vintage unless you find a full bottle as you will only be disappointed like me. If I had never tried the glorious vintage then the current one is good by todays standard.

The recent formulation smells like a deodrant version of heritage when you compare it to my sample of the first vintage formulation which is richer and stronger with a good dose of oakmoss mixing in with vanilla in the basenotes.

Anyway I have vintage bottles of Bel Ami and Equipage on its way to me to console me.lol

Bump

That's often the typical story of a reformulation; reduce the astringent or potent elements, increase the vanilla. It's a bit like bulking out food with whey powder and breadcrumbs.

The reformulated Heritage, in both concentrations, isn't a patch on the vintage, IMHO. Personally, I'm not a great fan of the vintage EDT, due to disappointing longevity - I even managed to obtain 3x vintage 100ml EDT bottles (BNIB) for a very reasonable price, a couple of years ago, but soon sold them off. For me, the vintage EDP is the dog's bollocks and I'm sticking with that.

The recent formulation smells like a deodrant version of heritage...
    Actually there is a deodorant version of this, I've not tried it though. I'm quite happy with my EdT and intend to remain in blissful ignorance of the vintages!

The recent formulation smells like a deodrant version of heritage when you compare it to my sample of the first vintage formulation which is richer and stronger with a good dose of oakmoss mixing in with vanilla in the basenotes.

I've bought several Guerlains these past few years and it's all the same. Amazing fragrances that have been dumbed down. The last straw for me was Sous Le Vent. What an amazing Chypre ! The only problem is it's gone in 15 minutes. It's all ridiculous. These companies are pulling our legs like artists sometimes do.

IMO people want to know what they can buy NOW at a store or online that is wonderful. We all know the past was great and that we won't be getting the same product these days.

I own vintage edt and edp and I agree that they are both sheer excellent with the edt being more bright and with more notes as so it seems. The vintage edp though is softer, extremely elegant and lasts like 24 hrs on me with two sprays. The fact that both versions smell almost the same but yet are quite different in sillage, longevity and versatily makes both worth owning! Brilliant and timeless (I prefer vintage edp over edt)
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Considering to get myself a bottle, maybe as an unlikely choice for a springtime scent.

Basenotes Plus

Ken_Russell -

I would recommend you do (preferably Vintage EdT, based upon all the input)...and, personally, don't think of it as such as 'unlikely' scent. It's classy, polished and a very well integrated composition.

Not drawing comparisons or hijacking a thread, but Zino Davidoff is fantastic in the Spring (and I even enjoy it on Summer evenings) - it is not something people would, at first, consider as a Spring/Summer evening scent...but the way it blends with body chemistry is spectacular.

Vintage Heritage EdT is still very formal and polished...and one cannot go wrong wearing this.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Considering to get myself a bottle, maybe as an unlikely choice for a springtime scent.

Basenotes Junkie

I just got the current EdT and without question adore it. My 2 minor complaints are..
    1. The opening BANG, call it zest if you will is gone quickly. After a few minutes all Im left with is soft basenotes.
    2. The soft powdery remains are a touch too floral.

But I do love it overall. Something I will always have in rotation. It just has CLASS written all over it.

Unlike most people, I have troubles with Heritage. There is something in its topnotes that I dislike intensively. I have a full 1.7 oz bottle of it (vintage), but I never gave it a full wearing. I will probably sell or swap it someday. I know everybody says it is gorgeous, but my nose says otherwise.

I love it as well though I do wish it was thicker and a tad more lush as the current formulation feels a tad watered down compared to the richness of the vintage. I have been thinking about getting the EDP hoping that it is more richer and deeper, anyone know if it is full bottle worthy. There is just something so addictive with that vanilla,lavender and patchouli accord.

I recently bought a bottle of the latest edt and have say that I think it is absolutely excellent and a definite improvement on the previous formula.

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    I recently bought a bottle of the latest edt and have say that I think it is absolutely excellent and a definite improvement on the previous formula.
    Did they change the topnotes? There was a coldness about the topnotes, which I disliked.

I have been thinking about getting the EDP hoping that it is more richer and deeper, anyone know if it is full bottle worthy. There is just something so addictive with that vanilla,lavender and patchouli accord.
    Is there a current release EDP for sale ? I have yet to see one at Saks or Bergdoff Goodman.

Is there a current release EDP for sale ? I have yet to see one at Saks or Bergdoff Goodman.
    I have only seen it for sale online here in the UK, here is a link to one such company selling it:

http://www.slapiton.tv/acatalog/guer..._edp_75ml.html

Thanks.

I have only seen it for sale online here in the UK, here is a link to one such company selling it:

http://www.slapiton.tv/acatalog/guer..._edp_75ml.html
    I would email that company first to see if they have it in stock. Reviews are 'mixed':

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/online-shops/slapiton-tv/

I note their small-print states:

Back Orders
    If your item is not in stock, we will back order for you. You will always have the option to cancel your order if you would rather not wait.

Thanks for the heads up Marais I guess you have to be careful who you order from. I know there is another place as well that sells the EDP but I cannot remember the name .

Update: I found the link: http://www.menstyle.co.uk/acatalog/G...EDP_100ml.html
    Last edited by Jack Hunter; 26th March 2013 at 05:41 PM.

Thanks for the heads up Marais I guess you have to be careful who you order from. I know there is another place as well that sells the EDP but I cannot remember the name .

Update: I found the link: http://www.menstyle.co.uk/acatalog/G...EDP_100ml.html
    I own the EdP, and am *this* far from buying EdT, too. I can only offer strong ecouragement on the EdP. You will not be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    I own the EdP, and am *this* far from buying EdT, too. I can only offer strong ecouragement on the EdP. You will not be disappointed.
    Thanks that's good to hear, I don't usually buy the same fragrance in different concentrations but I will have to make a exception with Heritage as that "star accord of lavender,vanilla, patchouli" is really good.

I have both and the EDP is much richer, the EDT is much more transparent with bergamot as opposed to orange. The EDP is thicker in consistency but both gives the suede creme brulee texture. Also, cedar is more pronounced in the EDT's drydown, its almost nonexistent in EDP.
    seeking mitsouko 50ml's cap....desperately!!

Guerlainista

I love it as well though I do wish it was thicker and a tad more lush as the current formulation feels a tad watered down compared to the richness of the vintage. I have been thinking about getting the EDP hoping that it is more richer and deeper, anyone know if it is full bottle worthy. There is just something so addictive with that vanilla,lavender and patchouli accord.
    I think that's a fair description of the EdP. It feels denser and projects a bit less, I think. It has a bit of a furry animalic edge for a while, too. Next to Mouchoir, it's the most skankiest Guerlain masculine, I think, although that's not saying much. If a touch of skank doesn't put you off and richer/deeper sounds appealing, go for it.

Its not distributed in the US. The UK web sites will almost certainly not ship to you, at least not at a reasonable cost. I got mine on eBay. You may also be able to order it from the Guerlain boutique in Las Vegas.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Basenotes Junkie

The more I use the EDT, the more I simply adore it. my significant other really likes it as well..... BINGO WE HAVE A SIG SCENT.

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    I got mine on eBay. You may also be able to order it from the Guerlain boutique in Las Vegas.
    Yes the Vegas store will order it for you. The cost is $700 for the something like 8.4oz. The issues besides price is that is comes in a Bee's Bottle which I can't stand. I once purchased 1000ml of Vetiver in a BB and I thought the smell turned after opening the bottle so often to fill my atomizer. I buy strictly spray bottles these days.

The lady on the phone also recommended Arsene Lupin Voyou EDP $245 100ml and Lame Dun Heros EDT $245 100ml. She said they were in a similar genre as Heritage but less fleeting. Can anyone add to this ?

Thank You.