Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Fragrance discussion topic: Linear fragrances

I thought I'd pose the question since I haven't seen it discussed often. What is your opinion on linear fragrances? Would you rather have a linear fragrance with a smell you prefer or a fragrance with great development that doesn't smell as good as the aforementioned?

I could be wrong about the Basenotes community but it seems like generally people on here think linear fragrances are a deal-breaker. I'm just curious as to why this is a deal-breaker to you or why you wouldn't mind wearing a linear fragrance. I think we can all agree that being linear is a con but I just wanted to get some input from all of you.

Default Re: Fragrance discussion topic: Linear fragrances

I suppose it depends on the initial opening notes -- if you really love them, you wouldn't mind the fragrance staying like that for the whole of the time. I find that Diptyque fragrances are mostly all linear, but I like some of them. I actually prefer to experience a fragrance evolving over time -- I have actually smelt changes after 7 or 8 hours -- the bottom of Santal Noble for instance. It only becomes a con if the note pyramid belies what we actually experience, I guess.

I own and enjoy linear fragrances myself. If I like it, no need for it to "evolve".

Most people buy fragrances based on the top notes anyways, so if the top notes stays on for the duration of the fragrance then it's all good. Love my linear Tobacco Vanille.
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    I thought I'd pose the question since I haven't seen it discussed often. What is your opinion on linear fragrances? Would you rather have a linear fragrance with a smell you prefer or a fragrance with great development that doesn't smell as good as the aforementioned?

I could be wrong about the Basenotes community but it seems like generally people on here think linear fragrances are a deal-breaker. I'm just curious as to why this is a deal-breaker to you or why you wouldn't mind wearing a linear fragrance. I think we can all agree that being linear is a con but I just wanted to get some input from all of you.
    If its linear and I love it, that works just fine for me...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Whether a fragrance is linear or not doesn't influence my buying or wearing it.

It's not an issue for me. I need to like the smell from beginning to end, regardless of whether it changes dramatically.

After finding out that fragrances evolve I tend to prefer that experience over linear. But I'm sure there are some linear scents that I would have no problem wearing/buying.

Basenotes Plus

To me fragrances that "evolve" often do so in a negative way, losing the very note or notes that make the fragrance as time goes on. Sometimes in a shockingly short time. This kind of "evolving" fragrance you find yourself wanting to freshen up all the time just to get the buzz back. I'm perfectly happy with something that smells good and stays that way for a while. Linear for me is far from being pejorative if the fragrance is great otherwise.

I enjoy fragrances that evolve so long as I enjoy the different phases of the scent.
    I enjoy linear fragrances so long as I enjoy the scent and don't get bored by it after a few hours.
    For me, it really is that simple.
    It's all about the smell.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I've found a wonderful line that "specializes" in linear. All notes come at you up front and stay there. The line is called Cerchi nell'Acqua and is a second line from Sigili. My fave is Ambr'ero. They can be had at ALZD.
    Re: Avatar-So are they whats known as subwoofers?

The linearity of a fragrance does not preclude my considering it for purchase. I find Antico Caruso to be linear, yet it's one of my favorites. Agree with comments above suggesting that some frags which evolve with multiple notes are not always consistently satisfying. Hundreds of reviews indicating the reviewer likes top, middle or base notes but dislikes one or more of the others.