Code of Conduct

Default If you are worried about Longevity of your fragrances..............

Listen to Hiro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3in1CunIy4Q

I have real problems getting more than 3-4 hours out of virtually any scent and I find decants a pain, but I have started to take a decant in my pocket when I'm out and about, it takes away the concern that your frag is no longer working.

Default Re: If you are worried about Longevity of your fragrances..............

Luckily don't have longevity problems with scents.

Try spraying on clothing or just apply more sprays.

I second spraying on clothing.

Aventus has nuclear projection but most people develop olfactory fatigue when wearing it. I would hate to be the person standing beside the guy who has been spraying himself a few times every hour.
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

+1 for spraying on clothing.

-1 on spraying more unless you really want to be "that guy."

Spraying more isn't the answer for poor longevity since it also means increasing your odds of reeking instead of smelling good. I was standing in line yesterday at the grocery store checkout behind a guy who wore too frigging much of a citrus bomb. I have no idea what it was. I just know he stank. The line wasn't moving, and I couldn't take it any longer, so I bailed and went to a different register a few lines over... and uuuugggghh, I noticed the stench again a minute or two later! The guy had bailed on the other line too and was standing right behind me.

I'm sure he was probably thinking "this stuff never lasts, so I'll wear more." That's not the answer.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

When I first started, I complained of poor longevity as well, until I found the niche houses that suited my chemistry. Montale, Bond no 9 (many smell bad, but all have great longevity you just have to fine some that suit you) and other houses last all day on me with no special preparation or reapplication.

Poor longevity is a deal breaker for me. I sample 4 fragrances a week and if they don't last at least six hours I won't buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    Listen to Hiro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3in1CunIy4Q

I have real problems getting more than 3-4 hours out of virtually any scent and I find decants a pain, but I have started to take a decant in my pocket when I'm out and about, it takes away the concern that your frag is no longer working.

Im with you. I carry a decant when i wear notoriously long lived scents like Millesime Imperial or VIW. I reapply a spray every 3-4 hrs and im good. I will rather reapply over a long period of time than over spray the first time i put it on.

There's drawbacks with spraying on clothes though
    Generally when I'm wearing cologne I'm also wearing nice clothes. I don't wash my nicer garments after every single wear because they wear out so much quicker and tend to shrink.
    If I spray on my clothes then thats the scent I have to stick with until they get washed.
    I would much rather carry an atomizer with the scent and apply an extra spray half way through the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    Poor longevity is a deal breaker for me. I sample 4 fragrances a week and if they don't last at least six hours I won't buy them.
    Agree - i have dry skin which is a longevity killer, however, I never spray on clothes. I test 2-3 times now b4 buying any new fragrance - on testing, a min 4+ hrs required b4 I decide to buy. Most niche houses are mostly EDP's which have been helpful to my case.

Also try spraying on clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by scott47 View Post
    there's drawbacks with spraying on clothes though
    generally when i'm wearing cologne i'm also wearing nice clothes. I don't wash my nicer garments after every single wear because they wear out so much quicker and tend to shrink.
    If i spray on my clothes then thats the scent i have to stick with until they get washed.
    I would much rather carry an atomizer with the scent and apply an extra spray half way through the day.
    exactly
    My Starting Lineup: MI, Pure Malt, GIT, LIDGE, Clive Christian C, LaNuit, Royal Oud, Aventus, Guerlain Homme Intense, L'Humaniste, VIW, D & G PH, Dior Homme Sport, DHI, Allure Edition Blanche, Bentley Intense, Bois du Portugal. Signature Scent: L'homme

Yes on clothes!
    You listed Fahrenheit as your number 2. You only get 4 hrs?

I much prefer spraying on clothes or even applying a film of Vaseline on the pulse points before spraying. Using a decant later in the day wouldn't work for me because the top notes would be too much for a work environment.

Typically, from the time I apply my fragrance to the time I get into the office, about 1.5 hours would have passed by. That's enough time for the scent to not be too overbearing for my coworkers. If I were to apply again literally at work, the scent would be way too noticeable/overbearing and I'd end up being cologne guy.

I've tried the decant method before (applied just one spray of a poor longevity designer EDT) and literally a few minutes later someone at my work commented on the smell.

Sound Scents

Last edited by drseid; 7th March 2013 at 08:39 AM. Reason: deleted by poster
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)