Code of Conduct

Default Bois des Îles has very poor tenacity: tips to improve it ?

I bought Bois des Îles in edt last week; I had a sample which smelt lovely but seemed very fleeting... Stubborn as I am, I decided to buy it anyway and have found myself very disappointed over the last few days: even right after spritzing myself many times, I can barely smell it ! After 10mn, nothing, except if I stick my nose on my sweater... I feel cheated and have even considered swapping it; yet I'd like to know if someone has a tip to heighten the smell: layering it with Chanel 5 or Égoïste?
    Thanks for your help.
    I should have chosen Sycomore or maybe Coromandel, though the latter may be too much on the sweet side for me...

Default Re: Bois des Îles has very poor tenacity: tips to improve it ?

Odd. I have no issues with longevity.
    Have you asked others around you if they can smell it after a few hours ?

I asked my husband, not hours later but less than an hour: we were together in the car and he said he couldn't smell anything... Sigh

that is odd bc i have had Bois des Iles for a little over a year now when Chanel started featuring and selling its Exclusif Collection on it's website. All the BdI's are Parfum strength so it is strong. The juice in my bottle is strong and is not fleeting, i get 8+ hrs. out of it. Maybe you have nose fatigue? or a weak bottle?

Basenotes Plus

Agree with gandhajala - olfactory fatigue could be a factor, and it would be worthwhile seeking a few other people's perception of the scent on you before making any rash decisions. I actually find longevity to be pretty stellar, throwing subtle but consistent sillage throughout.

Olfactory fatigue, I had never heard of that before ! You may be right, who knows. Anyway I agree it's better to ask about other people's perception before swapping it.
    To me Bois des Iles feels like perfumed water while Coromandel is a power house; in general I like light perfumes.

Astrud, I have always felt the same. Bois des Iles in EdT is so watery and fleeting (and too sweet for me) that I ultimately gave it away. The Extrait is much much better in this respect, but the Chanel Extrait pricing is ridiculous and probably not worth it in general.

Way back before the exclusifs, the Old Bond Street boutique sprayed a spill for me. They wrapped it in plastic and posted it to Belfast(no samples in those days), oh and it was the edt. I put the spill in a book and years later I can still smell BdI edt from the spill!!!!! I did buy the parfum in the end. It took a few years for the blast of aldehydes in the opening to calm down.

How sad if this is how the edt is today.
    DONNA

Bois des Iles doesn't last a terribly long time on me either. I have a vintage bottle and a bottle of the Exclusif version and it's the same with both.

My usual solution is to spray on under my hair at the nape of my neck and also to apply a diffuse spray to my clothing.

I also decant a little into a spray to carry with me so that I can top up during the day.

If you already tried to apply it both on skin and cloths my guesses are you're either anosmic to something in it or you're probably just experiencing olfactory fatigue...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Hi Astrud, you know it's a strange thing, but sometimes when I wear Bois Des Iles (EDT) it lasts, and it develops beautifully, then other times I just lose it. I've no idea why that should be but honestly I've been aware of that for some time. I don't know whether it's temperature, fabric as opposed to skin, or what it is!!

I've tried skin and clothes, on skin it's even worse, it disappears even more quickly than any other light perfumes that I own.
    Frankly I don't think I'm anosmic to any of the components, I may just want to get my money's worth... fleeting beauty for 105 Pounds (got it at the Covent Garden Chanel boutique) ouch !
    You may be right Foustie, it could depend on the temperature, we'll see when it gets warmer, but my hopes are quite low.

I make you right. It's very weak imo -- I tested it on my arm while in Selfridges and after about an hour -- just a faint whisper. The Dior exclusives are much better imo, apart from Sycomore.

I agree with you, Sycomore smells just great and is long-lasting.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Hi Astrud, you know it's a strange thing, but sometimes when I wear Bois Des Iles (EDT) it lasts, and it develops beautifully, then other times I just lose it. I've no idea why that should be but honestly I've been aware of that for some time. I don't know whether it's temperature, fabric as opposed to skin, or what it is!!
    Me too ^
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I get approx. 12 hours from this EDT. And if heated up at the end of the day, it blooms large. And I have dry skin.

Yes, I have this issue with No. 18. I wouldn’t layer it; instead, try applying a couple of sprays to a cotton ball and tuck it into your cleavage. This is the only approach that extends fragrance longevity for me. Also, exercise caution: Once, I was strolling down the hall at work and found a fragrant cotton ball on the floor--jail break!

Thanks for the tip, gmstrack, I'm trying the cotton ball today.
    I put Sycomore (sample) on my jacket 2 days ago, and I still get whiffs of it today, that's quite aggravating when I compare it to Bois des Iles... Grrrr. Same thing with Coromandel of course, more grrrr.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Me too ^
    +3 there...

i did not buy it just becasue i think its too watered down....and no sandalwood at all

sandalwood as a note is very gentle one, sublime, milky, creamy......its not loud, but when its real you can feel it all day long...in that very special silky kind of way it comes and goes..its not like any other note, i compare it to longlasting sweet jasmine note, it smells of ivory...cant describe better

in Bois des iles i dont get that....its bit too powdery in the dry down as well to be nice creamy sandalwood

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Astrud View Post
    I put Sycomore (sample) on my jacket 2 days ago, and I still get whiffs of it today, that's quite aggravating when I compare it to Bois des Iles... Grrrr. Same thing with Coromandel of course, more grrrr.
    i hear you ,

thats why i think not all from the collection are worth owning, even with nice composition of notes....i liked the notes of Bois des iles and see many other think the same....only La Pausa is maybe worth having because i really like that iris smell and one can not get it anywhere else in that form....that raw..its also very light too

but how larimar said it i would agree ...i smell the fake and dont want to own it becasue of that

but i hope you wear at least 6 sprays??
    Last edited by iivanita; 8th March 2013 at 12:46 PM.

I agree with you, Sycomore smells just great and is long-lasting.
    I too find Sycomore persistent. However, if you go looking at some Sycomore threads on the men's board, you'll find plenty of people lamenting the fact that it doesn't seem to last.
    Which all makes me think that this is a matter of perception (olfactory fatigue) or differences in skin types, rather than an inherent weakness in the perfumes themselves.
    I mean, we all (presumably) have the same jus...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    I too find Sycomore persistent. However, if you go looking at some Sycomore threads on the men's board, you'll find plenty of people lamenting the fact that it doesn't seem to last.
    Which all makes me think that this is a matter of perception (olfactory fatigue) or differences in skin types, rather than an inherent weakness in the perfumes themselves.
    I mean, we all (presumably) have the same jus...
    from the whole line i find Sycomore and 31 Rue Cambon to be the strongest scents...then comes Cuir de Russie.....ok i forgot to say no22 thats the killer ...and all are very longlasting!.....
    i have seen people to whom every scent is weak, but also i dont think that the sense of smell varies so much not to be able to judge if something is weak indeed

I get very nice sandalwood from Bois des Îles, from both the vintage and current actually, and good longevity too ...but I do tend to get a bit on my clothes when spraying, and I often pair the edt with parfum, so I think these things certainly help. And the cotton ball trick should work if all else fails, just don't give up on it yet - it's definitely worth the effort, imo.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Yes, iivanita, AT LEAST 6 sprays; in less than a week, I've used 2cm of perfume (75ml bottle format); at that rate I'm done with it in a matter of a few weeks.
    Longevity seemed better today, possibly because of the warm temperature.

Good luck!

It's definitely not a sillage monster, but it lasts longer than a few hours on me. I use a spray for the nape of my neck (so it clings to my hair) and a spray on my decolletage just before I dress. To me, this is not a sandalwood scent exactly; it is actually a soft, abstract gourmand. (I've tried both the EDT and the pure perfume version; I actually prefer the EDT as it less demanding for my everyday contexts.)

Anosmia.'try to take less.