Code of Conduct

Default Help us Pick a Logo

Would love input on a logo for our new website (currently in development). Would love some input. Check it out here:

http://logotournament.com/contests/fragranceniche.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help us Pick a Logo

i like #23 best. #43 is ok too. The rest look like cigar labels

Post Thanks / Like

#43 seem elegant

Puredistance
    Clive Christian
    Amouage
    Xerjoff

would fit in perfectly
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Post Thanks / Like

it may just be me but I'm not a fan of the flower/angel design.
    I like any of the ones with the cursive font as well as #43.

Can we expect a permanent Basenoters discount code for all the suggestions we're providing on the brands, site design and logos?

I like 10 & 36.

I liked 10.

There are a bunch that I ruled out. Not sure if you are able to make them out, but, let me know if you think any of those should be reconsidered.

Post Thanks / Like

25 is the only one i would take serious

Quote Originally Posted by Xqizit View Post
    Interesting...Why is that? For example, why might you not take 36 or 43 seriously?

- - - Updated - - -

I've just re-ranked them on there based on the way I'm presently leaning. Keep in mind there are a couple of days left in the contest, so there are likely ALOT of entries still to come. Some designers wait till the last minute to submit their designs.

Also keep something in mind. Designs can be tinkered to our liking. For example, color schemes can be changed (to make it less cigar box looking as someone mentioned) or things can be moved around. Fonts can be changed, etc.

This is a very exciting project for me, made MORE exciting by the fact that I can involve the BN community in the actual site build. I really appreciate all your input and, yes, once the site is up and running, I will have a little something special for all of you.

I like #38 & #43
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Agree. This is excellent IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

25 or 18.

Post Thanks / Like

OP, please don't take this personally, just an input/opinion to help you

"fragrance niche" just sound weird to me, does anyone notice the same?

it could be better if its "Niche Perfumery" or "Niche Fragrance" instead of "Fragrance Niche"
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FragranceNiche.com View Post
    Interesting...Why is that? For example, why might you not take 36 or 43 seriously?
    36 gives me an old/cheap vibe and it doesnt leave an impression, just my opinion and perception tho. im a designer myself so i might see it differently(not boasting) 43 is alright gives me an classy vibe but dont see how horseys relate to fragrance but if a classy impression is all its gonna leave then 25 does it better! 25 and 15 exudes class and simplicity, easy recognizable and the site u can build around that color scheme and logo wouldnt give me a doubt about its authenticity. also logo is easy usable for instance if u decide to sell samples and whatnot it would fit perfectly on an sample. i dont really know what the site is about tho haha just my $0.2

The Ultimate Smell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timdoeswell View Post
    Can we expect a permanent Basenoters discount code for all the suggestions we're providing on the brands, site design and logos?
    +1

Basenotes exclusive buying power!

Post Thanks / Like

3, 38 and 43 look good to me.

Post Thanks / Like

I think 25 is the strongest logo so far. I agree with Xqizit, the imagery in 43 doesn't relate to the site in any way, and 36 (and I would add 38) look like less professional logos. Those little swirls are easily found online for free when searching for vector embellishments. 25 is clear and simple, though I think it is still lacking a little refinement to make it a real luxury logo. I do like #5 actually, if the word fragrance was in a more legible font.

I am surprised no logo submissions so far relate to fragrance. Having some sort of tie-in with the subject matter could be a good approach.

Post Thanks / Like

I like #9 the best. It's to the point and easy to read.
    My current favorites:

Bleu De Chanel, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Zino Davidoff, Dior Homme Intense, Creed Royal Oud, M7 (all versions), Chanel Egoiste, Dior Homme Sport, and Thierry Mugler Pure Malt.

I like the elegance of 23 the most, but if you were looking for something a little more "toned down," I'd go with either 9 or 10 - very simple yet pretty chic.

Post Thanks / Like

I like #30.

Clear and simple, with nice type fonts, and makes it clear that there's a website. It also gives the impression of a sign you might see outside of a high-end but understated bricks and mortar shop.
    Last edited by Birdboy48; 7th March 2013 at 12:50 AM.

That's funny, 25 is one of the ones I like the least. I find some of the more "elegant" scripts and designs a bit more appealing. But, that's just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

The flower-bird motif in 43 seems the most original thing. But the color there is too subdued, perhaps that can work as a background but you want more in the logo. And then why not color it properly rather than have it as a silhouette?

23 is good too, but the horses inevitably remember Hermes. That's not necessarily a bad thing, if it subliminally makes one think of luxury. But if one realizes the connection to the Hermes logo, it seems a copycat. 38 is the simpler, unadorned by effective.

One thought I had was that with a name like yours, I'd have though of incorporating some sort of niche into the logo. Perhaps this can be added to some of the existing designs? For inspiration, many reinassance italian paintings, like Piero della francesca, have very elegant and classical niches.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

None of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Any of the current top four!

Post Thanks / Like

you'd be doing yourself the greatest service by picking 50

18 or 54
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HDDP View Post
    OP, please don't take this personally, just an input/opinion to help you

"fragrance niche" just sound weird to me, does anyone notice the same?

it could be better if its "Niche Perfumery" or "Niche Fragrance" instead of "Fragrance Niche"
    I agree with HDDP in that the name doesn't have a hook to it and is a little too descriptive. Names without a hook to them are hard to remember. Names that are too descriptive become generic and are very easy to forget. You don't really want a name that is either too hard to remember or too easy to forget. Either is a problem. I like FragranceNiche better than either of those mentioned above because they are too descriptive are actually very easy to forget because the mind confuses them with the purpose of the brand name. It is far better to select a name that has some room in it for an identity to be applied to it by the viewer. If you have to work at the name to remember it initially, it is easier to remember in the long run. The example of Aedes de Venustas is a name that has little logical or descriptive connection and so "Aedes" is easy to remember once you have used it a time or two. LuckyScent is also a name with a hook to it that is cute or clever and is therefore easy to remember. I would recommend you select a name that can be associated with your website/store purpose but does not describe or name the store or websites primary function. The name may actually be more important than the design of the logo. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

2, 47, and 51

number 10 for me

I only see a computer at work with these logos. I would like to see the image reflecting the 'feel' of the 'essence' of perfumery. These images seem to be just pretty emblems with no apparent meaning as yet. These are seeming to reflect a snatching at images for a fast answer. Don't rush this because you must live with it for some time. I just haven't got enough time to help you out with it although I would love to.

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, don't find the name "Fragrance Niche" very appealing. It's like calling yourselves "Woody Aquatic", too descriptive and not very original. I don't mean to sound harsh though, and anyway it's your business, but something more poetic would have more cachet to it.
    As for the logos, the ones which feature the big "N" remind me too much of Nespresso, and most of the others look like chocolate brands. I would go with #5 or #46.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Rüssel; 7th March 2013 at 10:44 AM.

Keep in mind there are now 2 pages of submissions to you have to click "Next" at the top or bottom of the page to view the next page.

I also own the domain "NouveauxNiche.com" with an "x" which makes it gramatically incorrect. The one without the "x" was already taken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    I like #30.

Clear and simple, with nice type fonts, and makes it clear that there's a website. It also gives the impression of a sign you might see outside of a high-end but understated bricks and mortar shop.

+1.
    For Sale:Gucci Pour Homme II , Amouage Attar,Lubin Idole http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...dwide-Shipping

Some very interesting new logos on the second page.

- - - Updated - - -

To be perfectly honest, I'm just not sufficiently creative to come up with a super catchy name at this point. NouveauxNiche was probably as clever as I was going to get, and, it's not really all that clever.

At this point, I am pretty well going to go with the FragranceNiche.com.

Also, some of the biggest (read: most successful) websites related to fragrance are not remotely clever (FragranceNet.com is the biggest...they are a publicly traded company....Perfume.com is another one of the biggest...another publicly traded company) and have done ok. I also realize there are others that are (Scentiments.com and some others) but, I believe that, if the site is easy to navigate, and provides a high level of customer service, the customer could care less about how un-clever the name. I might be WAY off here, but, if I provide you guys (and everyone else) with a discount code, free shipping, samples, and some other things you guys like to see, you will quickly forget how mundane the site's name is.

Post Thanks / Like

As a professional graphic designer for over a decade my opinion would be this one, however it may be construed as being a tad similar or homage to the Guerlain logo, although being what it is that may very well be a good thing...

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

43 and 23

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I agree with HDDP in that the name doesn't have a hook to it and is a little too descriptive. Names without a hook to them are hard to remember. Names that are too descriptive become generic and are very easy to forget. You don't really want a name that is either too hard to remember or too easy to forget. Either is a problem. I like FragranceNiche better than either of those mentioned above because they are too descriptive are actually very easy to forget because the mind confuses them with the purpose of the brand name. It is far better to select a name that has some room in it for an identity to be applied to it by the viewer. If you have to work at the name to remember it initially, it is easier to remember in the long run. The example of Aedes de Venustas is a name that has little logical or descriptive connection and so "Aedes" is easy to remember once you have used it a time or two. LuckyScent is also a name with a hook to it that is cute or clever and is therefore easy to remember. I would recommend you select a name that can be associated with your website/store purpose but does not describe or name the store or websites primary function. The name may actually be more important than the design of the logo. Just a thought.
    This. Great post BuzzlePuff! Fragrance Niche is not disaster, but probably not optimal either. Luscious Cargo and Aedes de Venustas are both great in my opinion.

I think white background is the best idea. The dotcom is probably good to have there, but it shouldn't take the centre stage. Gold and burgundy are trying too hard to be prestigious and end up looking cheap and tacky. About #43, those horses are too Hermes for my liking, and what's up with that crown? Again, trying too hard to look classy is often not classy. I would avoid these things. That light blue is innovative and pleasant color with not too many connotations. For these reasons #48 and #49 are my favourites (what's the difference?).

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

None of them. It's hard to convey 'luxury' or 'exclusive' using a font-centric design. You need a stronger logo - a monogram or perhaps a stylized coat-of-arms? Not a fan of the name either.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 7th March 2013 at 12:21 PM.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Like #23 best, if simpler.
    Last edited by lpp; 7th March 2013 at 01:05 PM.

Not really sure I see any similarities other than there being a horse in the logo. Certainly not enough to be a copycat.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

O.K.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

26 seems ok...You want a logo that customers can identify in less than a quarter second...NOT something they must scan to read a fancy font or find the tiny company name. You want a logo that is high contrast..Not a light color on light background. You want to stay away from very fancy designs, your most important element of the design is YOUR NAME. 26 seems to best fit so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FragranceNiche.com View Post
    Some very interesting new logos on the second page.

- - - Updated - - -

To be perfectly honest, I'm just not sufficiently creative to come up with a super catchy name at this point. NouveauxNiche was probably as clever as I was going to get, and, it's not really all that clever.

At this point, I am pretty well going to go with the FragranceNiche.com.

Also, some of the biggest (read: most successful) websites related to fragrance are not remotely clever (FragranceNet.com is the biggest...they are a publicly traded company....Perfume.com is another one of the biggest...another publicly traded company) and have done ok. I also realize there are others that are (Scentiments.com and some others) but, I believe that, if the site is easy to navigate, and provides a high level of customer service, the customer could care less about how un-clever the name. I might be WAY off here, but, if I provide you guys (and everyone else) with a discount code, free shipping, samples, and some other things you guys like to see, you will quickly forget how mundane the site's name is.
    Yea, you want to stay away from words like "Nouveaux" WAY to high a chance of being misspelled in a search engine. You want "catchy" and easy to spell.

Post Thanks / Like

My earlier post looks to me like I am sending arrows of negativity towards your name and concept. Actually, I like the name Fragrance Niche better than many possible names. I just think it is good to research the name as much as the logo design. You are happy with your name and so am I. I wish you the best success with your endeavor. With the right design for a logo and treatment of the name you can build excellent identity and memorability into that name. You might try to make it all into one name such as: FragranceNiche, or fragranceNiche so that it seems more like a brand name rather than a name and an adjective description.

You already have a good name and this coupled with a graphic design treatment that tells people in an instant, "I've found it!" This is the fragrance holy grail! It would be fun to get that sort of emotion into your logo. I'm not a designer of logos so it is hard for me to help much with this. But, the concept for the design is fun to play around with. None of the examples posted so far do it for me yet. Good luck.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 7th March 2013 at 02:24 PM.

Fragrance niche is fine for search engines and leaves no doubt as to what you are doing.

The image is your key and you won't find it already made online. Try brainstorming everything over a bottle of wine with some friends and it is highly likely a logo will get born as a rough scribble. Then get it worked up by a local graphic designer.

Male Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone loves a cute bunny rabbit. I'd call it 'The Balmy Bunny' and use this as a logo, with a bottle of Habit Rouge photoshopped in instead of the carrot:

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Clever thread.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi there. I noticed you were wondering how an ambigram might work.
    Here are some examples. The script font should be slightly bolder, but I just knocked these out without a lot of development.

Last edited by Quarry; 7th March 2013 at 06:39 PM.

Wow. That's really neat/cool, but, it's actually not an ambigram. But neat nevertheless. Thanks for that.

38, 57, or 49

43, 2 & 3, 76, in about that order...

- - - Updated - - -

107 & 108, and 110 are nice too.

Post Thanks / Like

38 is my favored

Paul Kiler
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid that the number of entries left seem to me to have the look of being generated by a Logo Design software program, rather than by a Human that actually was interested in making a good or even great design. I'd just have to frankly say that there is nothing remarkable or even original to them at all. I can't see too many of them now, from what was totally submitted, they've been edited down. But what is left doesn't impress me, or interest me.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

They are even less interesting now, suggest back to the drawing board maybe?

Nah, I appreciate all your input, but, there are definitely some that interest me, and, I will be selecting a winner. I've extended the contest another day or so, to give some other people time to enter, but, there is no "back to the drawing board" for us. We like a few of these designs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    I'm afraid that the number of entries left seem to me to have the look of being generated by a Logo Design software program, rather than by a Human that actually was interested in making a good or even great design. I'd just have to frankly say that there is nothing remarkable or even original to them at all. I can't see too many of them now, from what was totally submitted, they've been edited down. But what is left doesn't impress me, or interest me.

Ouch.
    Last edited by FragranceNiche.com; 8th March 2013 at 09:10 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

57 122 35 130

I like 57, 99, & 51.
    It's been a long hot Summer in Sydney, looking forward to Winter & wearing vanilla fragrances.
    http://DiaryOfAPerfumeAddict.blogspot.com/