Code of Conduct

Thread: Color Coding?

Default Color Coding?

Anybody have any useful techniques? Best practices?

Bases, mids, tops?

Greens, florals, citrus, musk, resin?

Default Re: Color Coding?

How do you mean? Some odour types are described by colour, the best known being "Green", but I'm not sure what else you are getting at.

Hi JungleNYC,

what i do is writing a T / M / B on the label or T/M, M/B and even sometimes a T/M/B like in Dossinia SA E which pretty much covers the whole lifecycle from Top to Base. Next to it, %dilution and %IFRA. Like T 10% .5%.

The %dilution gives me also an indication how strong it is, because i always dilute stronger scents to 10% and the strogest to 1%. The %IFRA is an indication how much is advised as a maximum in a perfume mixture. But between you and me, i don't really care of the IFRA amounts, because i'm not selling my stuff. And i can live with a x2 or even x4 volume compared to IFRA guidelines in my mixture if it smells good. But hey, it's an indication to get not to toxic or allergic.

In my perfume organ i've arranged the bottles in groups, like Citrus, Musks, Aldehydes, Green(leafs), Fruits, Woods, Resins, et cetera, to your like. I started with about 8 clusters when dealing with about 50 bottles. Now i have over 300 bottles grouped in about 20 clusters. Overlapping bottles are placed between two adjacent clusters.

So, no color coding used here...

Your'e welcome to visit my formulation blog, with a dozen of perfume formulations and accords to share!

I don't use colour coding either: most of my organ is arranged in straight alphabetical order with just a few exceptions such as the musks that I keep in a cluster.

There are about 300 on the organ at any one time with another 500 or so that are not routinely out.

I do often keep odour notes on the label as a reminder though.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

I kind of liked the system they had going here:

http://www.olfactik.com/index.php?route=common/home

I was thinking of doing a variation on this.

I also like the idea of "crib notes" on the labels, somehow.

I have a colour code for the solvent so I don't get the oils (white background) mixed in with the ethanols (pale green) and keep them in separate cabinets to try to avoid that. Hazards are indicated by red tiny warning labels if they are banned and yellow with the max dose on if they are restricted. Just to stay aware.

EO's and abs are set out in alphabetical order, with a large letter, the name, the percentage dilution, what in, their longevity, their source, plus any other names they are known by. If any are surprising or there is more than one of the same from different sources, then there is an odour profile note on as well. Such as the Vetivers as I have lots of those and I have a strange amber that says 'airplane fuel' on as a note to self.

I have to have a sort out after a big creative splurge or else I cannot find anything. 300+ brown bottles all looking the same.. and another 300+ of the same in a different solvent.... lol.

Then a separate section for oudhs, animalics, my beloved ambergris, all graded, and other such things like Arabic blends, plus another growing section of reference chems for nose training. Plus a huge cabinet of vintage frags for nose reference and a collecting passion. These are alphabetical by house.

The only advice I have is that whatever method you choose, get it started early and keep it orderly, even with only a few ingredients, and stick to it. A muddle goes against the creative flow. So maddening if you cannot find a particular ingredient. And just write everything down that you make, even when tinkering.

My method is certainly not perfect... But my mind works in an associative manner.

So I make groups of materials, that go into baskets of similar odor profiles. But this doesn't always work out well... I have to admit of course...

But my baskets DO get some sort of color coding, since I work associatively... On the face of the basket on the shelf, I place a label that uses a facial tissue box pattern/color mixture, (My wife uses LOTS of tissues, so I have LOTS of empty boxes to pick from... But I use the color of the box packaging as a part of my associative thinking. Brown for woods, Green for greens, flora-y for the flower items, in their colors and pictures, if I can get them...

My fruity baskets get an orange colored foam label, etc...

I think that you need to know yourself, and explore to know what will and won't work for you. And don't be afraid to throw out your system and make a new one. I tape on the box sides to the basket with clear packing tape, and write the contents on the tape with a Sharpie, and when I want to change the contents and reorganize, I just put some alcohol on the Sharpie black marks, and wipe it to clean it off, and relabel.

This system has it's strengths, AND it's weaknesses.

You'll have to figure out what works for YOU!
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    The only advice I have is that whatever method you choose, get it started early and keep it orderly, even with only a few ingredients, and stick to it. A muddle goes against the creative flow. So maddening if you cannot find a particular ingredient. And just write everything down that you make, even when tinkering.
    I agree with Paul that you need to find a solution that works for you - there is no right answer - however I think the advice above is vital whatever you do. Even when I'm just playing I always note down what I am doing, just in case I discover something really useful or unexpected in the process.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Olan

I've only been at this hobby for a couple of months so I'm not sure if my current system will be long term.

I bought several packages of adhesive labels from Walmart. They are circular and have 4 colors that fit on the 15ml bottles caps nicely. The available colors are green, yellow, orange and pink.

I use green for base, orange for mid and yellow for top. I'm not currently using the pink ones.

This system allows me to keep the bottles in alphabetical order but still able to easily still able to identify classification.

Hope this is helpful.

The pink ones could be cut so that they go on the edge of any to indicate any useage restrictions or hazards. Always useful to be aware even if you don't choose to heed.

i only have a color coding for strength. blue is pure, yellow is 10%, and so on. the strength is written on the labels, too, and i keep the full-strength bottles in a different drawer than the diluted stuff.

and i still made a reach for the wrong strength once or twice! :} [cue imagery of a comic-book style absent-minded professor.]