Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: MFK Oud Cashmere & Oud Velvet (Just Wow...)

Have samples of the whole OUD Mood Collection, but only tested Cashmere Mood so far. I think it's good but I'm not really that impressed. The high quality is obvious but I don't know, I guess it's too 'dry' for my taste. I might be crazy but the drydown reminds me a lot of Gucci pour Homme I...

I'm testing Velvet. It shares several notes with, and smells quite a bit like By Kilian Pure Oud. The main difference is a very nice cinnamon note that is present in the top. Still, I prefer Pure Oud, and the refill bottle option makes it a relative bargain when compared to Velvet (never thought I would ever say that about Pure Oud).
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

I tried Velvet and Cashmere last night...very potent stuff, the opening was more difficult for me than Pure Oud but obviously high quality ingredients. Drydown 2-3 hours in was excellent. I am going to stick with my Kilians but these seem to be worthy players in the oud fragrance category.

Tried both the other day, was initially impressed but the more they wore on, the more my opinion receded. Velvet is very similar to Bond No.9 Harrods Oud from what I remember.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Tried both the other day, was initially impressed but the more they wore on, the more my opinion receded. Velvet is very similar to Bond No.9 Harrods Oud from what I remember.
    I would think Silk Oud is more like Harrods since they both have a presence of Rose.

I tried these out today and was reasonably impressed. Admittedly I have not tried real oud oil yet, but so far these MFKs might be some of the best of these Western oud frags I have tried (Killian, Bond No. 9, Xerjoff, Montale, Guerlain, Dior, Tom Ford, Juliette Has A Gun, Histoires de Parfums, Czech & Speake, Mona di Orio, L'Artisan, etc…..).

Just as an observation and why I felt like commenting here is because I think it has become ever-increasingly difficult for most of us to stay objective when these new oud fragrances are release. Most of them are not going to be completely new smells to us anymore. They all remind us of a dozen or more we have already tried. Many of us probably have already purchased a few of them, and when a new one is released it's easy to quickly dismiss them or be biased toward the one we already own as "the best".

I'll continue to smell them as they come out and try to give each of them a fair shake and hope you all continue to do the same I'm still having fun with this modern "oud madness" while it lasts and searching for which one is "the best".

I received my samples from Luckyscent today and have Velvet Mood on tonight. So far I really like this a lot. I can see some similarity to pure oud, but I think this is better. It's hard to describe, but I feel the scent it more refined, a little less dense. More micro detail. Just the right balance of dry wood and a hint of sweetness. I'm about 4 hours in and the scent is rounding out and I'm somehow picking up some similarity to the drydown of Amouage Memoir Man- though just a hint and obviously more woody.

This is what I was wanting from his first Oud offering. Very excited to try the other two.

*sigh* It's a bit frustrating/overwhelming, having so many darn options to try regarding oud scents. It's like...the second you feel like you've sampled a good number of them and have narrowed down your favorites, there's another dozen or so that's added to the oud bin that you have to try.
    Anyways, I'm not exactly big on oud, but I fell in love with By Killian Rose Oud, and that kinda opened the door to exploring other ouds. So now I'm like okay, now I have to try Montale Black Oud, and the other Montales, plus Juliette Has A Gun, plus the MFK line, plus all the dozens of other fragrances out there. And yes, this is what our hobby is all about anyways: exploring fragrances. But sometimes it just gets a little frustrating, because it's like at some point you want to feel like you have tried a majority of the offerings and have know what your favorites are. So it's like this state of contentment is never reached!

And it'd be one thing if these fragrances were easily available to try, but many of us have to pay for these samples, which start to get pricey after a while. I don't have the luxury of a Bergdorf Goodman's anywhere near me. And the Saks Fifth & Nieman's only carry but so much. Now, if I could try all of these in a store, it would make things a little easier. But I can't. :-/

This hobby of ours man...
    Current Favorites

1. Amouage Reflection Man
    2. Gucci Pour Homme II
    3. Divine L'Homme Sage
    4. By Killian Back to Black
    5. Amouage Interlude
    6. Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé (2004)
    7. By Killian Rose Oud
    8. Serge Lutens Five O'Clock Au Gingembre (2008)
    9. Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM pour Homme
    10.Creed Royal Water

I'm loving Cashmere Oud.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

I've had a chance to sample all three now. I am really impressed. All three of them are outstanding fragrances and I would fully recommend full bottle purchases. The price is the only thing holding me back, and while I'm pretty confident that I'll buy one, I think I'll have to decide on only one for now.

Cashmere and Velvet are quite similar, but I think Cashmere edges Velvet out slightly in the drydown. I need to do some side by side testing with these two. They both smell amazing though and I would put them at the top of the pure wood/oud fragrances I've tried.

Silk has surprised me with how good it is. Admittedly I have not tried many Rose Oud combos, but I really like this alot. I think it may actually be the best rose fragrance I have tried. It has the right balance of freshness, depth, spices- everything. My other top roses would be PoaL (slightly too perfumy), Rose 31 (slightly too pot-pourri-ish), Lyric Man (slightly too soapy), Lumier Noir (slightly too dark). This one has everything just right.

I can barely believe how good this trio is.

Thank you for sharing.

Are these significantly higher quality than his original Oud fragrance or no?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    That's subjective I guess, but I do find them more interesting

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I am one who thinks his original Oud is a very fine fragrance. But the answer to your question is YES they are higher quality oud fragrances because as Mikesc pointed out these new formulations are 30% concentration whereas his original Oud was an 18% concentration.

The other difference between these new ones: Cashmere, Velvet, Silk is the very subjective difference of the blending with other notes. MFK Oud is really an oud and osmanthus creation that is an extremely original idea in oud fragrances and I like it very much. It is unisex, but is probably appreciated more by his female fans due to its osmanthus theme. I consider it one of my best oud perfume bottles I own, but I appreciate it for what it is. Oud Cashmere competes more with the standard oud formulas that are on the market and to me it is superior to all of the others of this type (comparing to: Bond 9 Harrod's Oud, Armani Oud Royal, Killian Pure Oud). Oud Velvet Mood is just an altogether drier and earthier oud that is very true to the scent of a pure oud oil which I don't think has any competitive oud perfumes to compare to. Oud Silk Mood is just a fantastic rose fragrance first but it is fantastic because of the excellent blending with oud for a 30% concentration.

I can not wear oud fragrance everyday. I already have some very good ones in my collection which I am very happy with. From a practical standpoint, a person can only own so many oud fragrances and this is my problem with these. If we were starting all over and these came out a few years ago I would probably buy each of these when my budget allowed. They are that good. For a collector of this type of fragrance, these are all very bottle worthy. If you don't already own an oud centered fragrance then I would recommend one of these three if your budget would allow it - probably Oud Cashmere Mood is the most universal masculine of the three. If, like me you already have some oud fragrances, such as MFK's Oud then the difficult decisions start here. I am happy to own other oud scents that I have for different scent profiles. I appreciate Monegal's Agar Musk for lighter use. I like MFK's Oud for its great use of osmanthus and its expansion of this floral with oud. I like Pure Oud because it was the first to really capture this dark woody oud profile - its a sentimental favorite. Same with Harrod's Oud - its a sentimental favorite. However, I think these Oud Mood series are superior to all of these others I have tried.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 30th April 2013 at 02:19 PM.

Thanks Buzzlepuff for sharing your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Thanks Buzzlepuff for sharing your thoughts.
    I'm with CapriDog. It's always great to hear your thoughts, Buzzlepuff. I always pay extra close attention when I see your posts!

Thanks Buzzlepuff.

I guess the issue I had with his original Oud is that it felt very very flat to me. MFK creations are often streamlined and while I wouldn't call them one dimensional, his extreme polish sometimes makes them too smooth which - at least to my nose and in my experience - leads to an end result that leaves me dissatisfied in the same way one dimensional fragrances do. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part I find that excessive polish in all of his creations; both those for his line and those he's done for others.

I don't know if anyone else knows what I mean here, or experiences the same kind of dissatisfaction for the same reason. He's the only perfumer that I consistently have this particular complaint about, and I was hoping these ouds might be stylistically/texturally different, with a few rough edges left in.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more