Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default MFK Oud Cashmere & Oud Velvet (Just Wow...)

Maison Francis Kurdjian's Oud Mood's Cashmere & Velvet, is probably my new "refrence" oud!

francis-kurkdjian-oud-mood-fragrances.jpg

I dropped into the their counter yesterday, and sampled all three new oud creations, whilst i felt
    "silk oud mood" is more for the ladies, cashmere and velvet oud surely rocked it for me - especially Cashmere Oud, on paper i preferred Velvet Oud, but in reality i think Cashmere Oud is much for refined as a oud scent, but prefer the very late dry down of the velvet (which is more pronounced till the last drop) - i am pondering on which i should pull the trigger, but pull the trigger i will! - You can't wear either on a daily basis - but if you are looking for a refrence oud, i think its best to close the books and go with MFK's Velvet or Cashmere and end your oud search, i just ended mine!

I have Epic Man, Leather Oud and now Cashmere or Velvet Oud, my oud trio is complete!

My visit to traditional attar houses in middle east didnt yield any beneficial results as i found
    the oriental concoction to rowdy for my taste, i've tested Mona's Oud, Most Montales (though synthetic..), xerjoffs, and also have a 50 year old 3/4 pure aged agarwood oil from India, nothing will work for me now besides this MFK.

Just sharing - and hope you guys check it out, price though is ridiculous - a small bottle of this goes a long way, Francis Kurkdjian has done it again, just oozes quality.

Default Re: MFK Oud Cashmere & Oud Velvet (Just Wow...)

They're very nice scents indeed.

thanks for sharing, looking forward to try these soon
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Quote Originally Posted by HDDP View Post
    thanks for sharing, looking forward to try these soon
    The drydown of this is TDF.

I tried these as well a couple of weeks ago and thought they were very good. I agree on Cashmere and Velvet being the best. The price keeps me from buying, however.
    Tom Ford Splits Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

I'm really eager to try the Oud Mood collection mostly because I'm a big fan of his Oud. To me, it's one of the best creations I've smelt in recent years. People seem to be really on the fence about his Oud.

I'm hoping the collection will come up on his online store soon so I can order some samples. From online reviews I've read so far, the Oud Mood collection is garnering some really good attention. Generally, Oud Velvet is considered the strongest out of the bunch and everyone's favorite seems to be Silk Oud.

Really looking forward to sampling these...! Love MFK.

In Cairo on business this week, so going to try and find some local attars also... I do like a bit of barnyard on occasion...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Yet to test / sample this trio, but your feedback has doubly motivated me...

MFK along with Frederic Malle are my 2 fav niche houses, nothing they do seems to go wrong...

I'm dying to try these.

How is the vetiver one?

Oud & vetiver. I've never seen that.

for swap/sale:

I tried these two days ago, they are both lovely. Unfortunately on my skin the drydown of both turned into generic musks after 8 hours... at that price I would expect a higher quality drydown. Again this is on my skin, others may have different experiences with them.

They smelled very nice from the bottle. I didn't spray them, though, I've no interest in lemming for that kind of price.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

I'm always interested in new scents from MFK, will have to sample these at some point.

Can't wait to try them. I can't justify a blind buy because MFK's fragrances are each such individual statements. I love his first Oud, but can not wear Absolute pour le Soir which everyone else seems to love. I thought Aqua Universlis is too floral for my taste and it took me a half dozen wearings to finally get Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, which I like a lot. Who knows which one is right - from the reviews that are out now they all sound good. Not me, I need to test before this kind of investment. Neiman Marcus carries this line but they don't have these yet. Luckyscent? I hope these dealers get them so we can give them a try.

I have yet to try out any of the new MFK oud fragrances, I am sure they are good. I am a big fan of Lumiere Homme.

MFK is very fond of a white musk which comes across as very keening and screechy to me -- I get it in both Lumiere Pour Homme and his original Oud. I wonder if these new ouds will sit on the same musk? If so, I'll have to pass them by, sadly.

I tested all 3 out , they are good , but nothing stellar IMO, and ridiculously overpriced just as the MFK Oud, and as others have said the drydowns turn into synthetic white musks. I will rather stick to my ASAQ and Ajmal Oud EDPs.

Thanks for sharing your impressions of these 2, have seen a lot of the silk one but these were the two whose notes caught my interest. Look forward to trying them more so now
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    MFK is very fond of a white musk which comes across as very keening and screechy to me -- I get it in both Lumiere Pour Homme and his original Oud. I wonder if these new ouds will sit on the same musk?
    Yes, unfortunately... this white musk (or combination thereof) is not that detectable in the top and mid notes, but they come to the fore in the base notes on my skin, which unfortunately makes the base the least pleasant part. Those who are anosmic to these musks may not find this objectionable.

The problem is that the oud of the top / mid is so complex and beautiful that the blasted synthetic white musk at the base just ruins everything, and unfortunately it doesn't mix well. I find this white musk note very nice in Lumiere Noire for example, but it just doesn't work with oud (in my opinion).

The SA said that these are extraits and that they are relatively linear--I wish that were the case on my skin, because the top and mid were great on me, base not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I'm dying to try these.

How is the vetiver one?

Oud & vetiver. I've never seen that.
    its velvet not vetiver

- - - Updated - - -

actually, i get little or no musk at all in velvet oud, a little in cashmere oud ; MFK oud mood contains real agarwood and not the synthetic kind? how do i know? because i've been taking medicine made from agarwood to supplement my acupuncture therapy, agarwood is a great nerve tonic - when i sprayed both this oud - i had the same reaction as i would when ingesting the agarwood medicine, and i was really stunned! - The Velvet Oud has a bit of Balsamic quality to it late in the dry down, its a little bit more stauncher, and sharper - Cashmere, is a little softer during its dry down and has very little white musk just to ease the edges out nevertheless it has more of the "oud sawdust" effect, although not much and not too different than velvet oud as a whole ; oud velvet is more oriental than the cashmere, although at this point i am really criss-crossed between this two, will need to decide between this two, since buying both is out of the question given its financial equation.

The Oud Mood (Velvet & Cashmere) are miles apart from his mediocre Oud which features relatively un-aged agarwood from Laos, and the new ones lasts and lasts and lasts..since its extrait - good things are not cheap, and this more truly so when you experience MFK's Oud Mood, though i think silk mood is totally aloof from the trio and i can sense how this completes the trio, it probably made to manifest another side of oud just like the first Francis K's first oud outing, talented fellow this Francis K.

If you find this unremarkable then probably, you are anosmic and it just doesn't work on your skin, and its not a massive crowd pleaser - face it; it gets lonely at the top.

My Rating 9/10 for both Velvet and Cashmere (but not an everyday scent)
    Last edited by benzganesh; 9th March 2013 at 04:00 AM.

Have tested these now and I agree with the consensus, these are very good oud fragrances. Oud Velvet Mood smells more of a real oud oil than any other oud fragrance I have tried. I have a couple dozen pure oud oils in my collection and this smells very similar to many of these as it opens. Compared to perfume oud fragrances it is most similar to Harrod's Oud and smells lighter than Killian Pure Oud, but is similar and has more depth. Although it is similar to these I think it is superior to either. Oud Velvet is a fantastic oud fragrance and is my favorite of the three. Oud Cashmere Mood is the "amber oud" of the three and it is most reminiscent of Killian Amber Oud and also Armani Prive Oud Royal. The primary accents are benzoin, labdanum and vanilla but I believe all of these MFK's have many notes employed but not listed, because these are incredibly smooth and masterfully done unlike most on the market. But, like Oud Velvet, Cashmere Mood is superior to any others that it might be compared to. Oud Silk Mood is an extremely beautiful and seamless ethereal rose oud. It has a little resemblance to JHAG Midnight Oud at first, but in the middle notes smells like Killian's Rose Oud. The dry down of this fragrance just soars into rose heaven and reminds me most of Amouage Homage (the more rosy blends). Difficult to rate these anything but a perfect score. I would be tempted to purchase either Velvet or Cashmere for myself and Silk for the lady in my life. Unfortunately we already own several oud of these types and I don't know that I need more.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Have tested these now and I agree with the consensus, these are very good oud fragrances. Oud Velvet Mood smells more of a real oud oil than any other oud fragrance I have tried. I have a couple dozen pure oud oils in my collection and this smells very similar to many of these as it opens. Compared to perfume oud fragrances it is most similar to Harrod's Oud and smells lighter than Killian Pure Oud, but is similar and has more depth. Although it is similar to these I think it is superior to either. Oud Velvet is a fantastic oud fragrance and is my favorite of the three. Oud Cashmere Mood is the "amber oud" of the three and it is most reminiscent of Killian Amber Oud and also Armani Prive Oud Royal. The primary accents are benzoin, labdanum and vanilla but I believe all of these MFK's have many notes employed but not listed, because these are incredibly smooth and masterfully done unlike most on the market. But, like Oud Velvet, Cashmere Mood is superior to any others that it might be compared to. Oud Silk Mood is an extremely beautiful and seamless ethereal rose oud. It has a little resemblance to JHAG Midnight Oud at first, but in the middle notes smells like Killian's Rose Oud. The dry down of this fragrance just soars into rose heaven and reminds me most of Amouage Homage (the more rosy blends). Difficult to rate these anything but a perfect score. I would be tempted to purchase either Velvet or Cashmere for myself and Silk for the lady in my life. Unfortunately we already own several oud of these types and I don't know that I need more.
    thank you for the wonderful review
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

I'm going to resample these next time I'm at Neiman's. My MFK rep invited me to a breakfast with Marc Chaya (CEO of MFK) in April as he will be there for the launch. She said only 15 invited total so I'm wondering if this is a high pressure sale. Not sure what to expect. Anyway I really liked them first time I sampled and MFK scents have a way of really growing on me. I find myself going back to them and having to own a bottle. I even wound up buying a bottle of Amyris after thinking it was just ok upon first testing, but doubt I can swallow the price of these. They would at least have to have Tobacco Vanille performance.
    Tom Ford Splits Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

I love Silk Mood, but it smells almost exactly like Bond No 9 Signature (the one in the gold bottle). This one has better quality ingredients. I love Cashmere Mood too, This one is a very better quality Le Labo Oud... They still smell the same, MFK added his famous clean musk in there to make it not as harsh. Velvet was the most original to me. Silk is my favorite because I love the oud and rose combo...The longevity is really suspect.

- - - Updated - - -

Wearing velvet today again.... I really love them all. He is so talented.
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Their online shop just ran out of samples for the oud line. They promised to restock in two weeks.

Although it's not recommended, I'm determined to make a blind purchase. Are these ouds better than The Different Company's Oud Shamash? By better I'm referring to richness, quality, scent, ect.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

I have to say that these 3 have the most OUD smell I have ever seen out of anything. Talking like my real oud samples that are segregated from other scents the pure oils in tiny vials. These are seriously stinky in a good way. Medicinal, bandaid, it's all covered in there but didn't get any barnyard which is good lol.

The sample cards smelled up my room like crazy and the drydowns are awesome, almost too stinky of oud at first but calmed down in about 3 hours. I wouldn't try to spray these on fabric might just run people out of the room haha.

Some very interesting ouds if you want to smell what the real oud smells like in a perfume. Much moreso than any of my other ouds.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Quote Originally Posted by megatropolis View Post
    Wearing velvet today again.... I really love them all. He is so talented.
    I agree as well, MFK to me is easily among the current top 10 and will end up IMO among the top 100 all time parfumers (if such a list could be made)...Saving $$$ to buy this line in the near future.

From mega expensive puerh cakes to cars and perfumes malaysians are liking them very expensive. In $200's range I bet there would be no interest )

Epic Man dries down into a white musk to my nose. Is this similar?
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I actually don't like Cashmere and Velvet. Both smell EXTREMELY similar from the two testers I got samples from, and both dry down into this really, really odd musk that I don't like. Silk is excellent, though not much more than a rose-oud, though it's an extraordinary rose-oud.
    Splits!

Roja Amber Aoud & Tom Ford Tobacco Oud --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...d-Fleur-splits

Quote Originally Posted by Jkidd View Post
    Although it's not recommended, I'm determined to make a blind purchase. Are these ouds better than The Different Company's Oud Shamash? By better I'm referring to richness, quality, scent, ect.
    I would never recommend a blind purchase, just order some samples as they should have more in soon. Oud Shamash is much more along the line of an Amouage fragrance very heavy on pink pepper, bay, cinnamon, rum, rose, cistus, leather as well as having a sweet finish. Shamash is very lively and radiating as a fragrance, whereas Velvet and Cashmere are more subtle, colder and centered around the oud note. The Oud Mood scents focus more on Oud than Shamash does. Sometimes I have a hard time even smelling the oud in Oud Shamash, although I like the scent. Oud Shamash reminds me a combination of Memoir Man + Jubilation XXV + Oud. I think Oud Shamash is probably more important to test than the others because it is more likely to be a polarizing scent. Shamash has many of the typical Bertrand Duchafour characteristic notes that you find also in Jubilation XXV and his other bold incense fragrances. Francis Kurkdjian on the other hand has more of a balanced light handed approach with fewer notes. Until I tried these new ones I thought of MFK's talent with floral notes as many of his scents seem to revolve around the floral combinations, but not these Oud Moods, they are about the oud. I think they are all very bottle worthy, but it is a lot of money to spend on a fragrance without testing.

I been wearing them a week straight it a tie between silk and cashmere. What to do, what to do????
    Im the be$t @ thi$

LuckyScent has samples of the three Oud Mood fragrances. $7 for .7 ml.

I'm very disappointed that they didn't have this yet at my Neimans. I went in the other day to buy another bottle of Absolue Pour Le Soir, and they still didn't have it out yet. i thought for sure they'd have it by now. The MFK rep wasn't around so i couldn't figure out what the deal was.

I'd still like to know what is happening with NR Musc for him intense! Was it just a joke? lol

I'm testing Velvet on my skin now from a generous sample given to me at Neiman Marcus (along with Cashmere -- will save that for another day). So far, I'm impressed by how natural this smells, and at the same time, I'm quite willing to believe this is realistic oud, because it's ODD -- some iodine, slight rubber, a little smoke, just slightly sweet, just slightly balsamic. But not heavy or overdone. I'm enjoying it but I'm not falling in love with it yet.

Cashmere Oud was fantastic! I was anxious about wearing it so I wore it to the gym today to test it out. I received amazing compliments. One lady told me that the more I sweated, the better it smelled. She was a beautiful lady...she also hugged me twice . To my nose it smelled like Amber Oud, (Wayyyyy better) with a more pronounced Oud note, more smoke, and less vanilla. I will order this!
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi

^^^ you wore this to the gym?! Ballsy

Hey at least you got a compliment. I'm curious if these will appeal to the general public as well as frag heads.

Quote Originally Posted by daz View Post
    ^^^ you wore this to the gym?! Ballsy

Hey at least you got a compliment. I'm curious if these will appeal to the general public as well as frag heads.
    LMAO...That's what I'm saying. This was Planet Fitness, with people I did not know. Def the general public. I loved the fragrance but I didn't expect those types of reactions. I've worn Patou Pour Homme, Green Irish Tweed, Jardin D Amalfi, Jubilation XXV, Homage, and many other niche/designer fragrances to the gym and I have never received the types of compliments I've received from Cashmere Oud. I am a true fragrance head who does not wear fragrances for compliments. But, it was flattering to receive that many compliments. Based on my experience, I'm starting to think that this one is a lady killer...and if you're into it, dude killer.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    LuckyScent has samples of the three Oud Mood fragrances. $7 for .7 ml.
    Drop by Nieman Marcus if you can. I came out of there yesterday with 5 MFK samples, each in a 3ml atomizer.

Just tried these recently, I have to agree with the consensus that they smell pretty awesome.

Cashmere is my favorite, but Velvet smells surprisingly similar, although different, and yet almost as good as Cashmere. Both Cashmere Mood and Velvet Mood are great showcases of how a fragrance can be based around oud (and natural oud in this case).

Kurdkjian does it again! I can't say I'm happy about the price points though...

see below--

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Epic Man dries down into a white musk to my nose. Is this similar?
    To my nose yes, which is why I refuse to drop so much money on these fragrances... without that annoying white musk note these would be spectacular. Oh well.

Basenotes Member

Very nice Ouds but a little bit overpriced IMHO.

Anyone know how long shipping takes from the MFK web store?

I'm fed up with waiting for NM to get their act together, so I ordered the trio straight from the source. But it freaks me out that you don't get a tracking #.

They did send me a confirmation that it was "sent" but that's about it.

I'm thinking a week?

Basenotes Plus

Depends on how the were mailed.

Not sure if you knew that Luckscent has all three in stock.

Serious juice (I've only tried cashmere @ Bergdorf) Decided to really have an experience. Took 4 sprays and it was almost an intercourse. That lasted from 4pm till 2am at night and probably later ) Starts off with a high note of animalistic laos oud, a bit too young and strong, but dry down is intoxicating, dreamy, seducing and never ending. Do not try it if you can't afford it, you might like it too much.

To be honest I was not expecting much, as MK never had a real hand on experience with oud and one of the last designers to jump on an oud bandwagon. He is a young kid comparing to Piere Montale when it comes to the subject of oud. His approach was as simple as possible - best quality oud money can buy + as little other notes as possible. Labdanum, benzoin, vanilla. Best quality juice in mass produced modern perfume.
    Last edited by outline; 8th April 2013 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Depends on how the were mailed.

Not sure if you knew that Luckscent has all three in stock.
    Damn it. I did not know this. I have a credit with them too, from returning my black afgano.

I did save about $50 buying from MFK though.

I can't for the life of me decipher their emails, they're in French and gmails translate is not helping much. The site just says "sent".

I emailed them to see if I can get a tracking #. Hopefully they can provide something. Otherwise I'll be on the edge of my seat until they arrive :/

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Damn it. I did not know this. I have a credit with them too, from returning my black afgano.

I can't for the life of me decipher their emails, they're in French and gmails translate is not helping much. The site just says "sent".

I emailed them to see if I can get a tracking #. Hopefully they can provide something. Otherwise I'll be on the edge of my seat until they arrive :/
    There are many members who speak french on these forums!

try the amyris pour home also. that's a great cologne

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post

aphexacid, if you'd like me to translate for you, just send me a pm with the text copied. I was born and raised in Montreal so I speak and read French pretty well.

- - - Updated - - -

For those of you who haven't smelled them yet, here are my first impressions on all the Oud Moods:

Silk: It's a pretty straight forward blend of rose and oud. The rose isn't very lush to me though, it's actually quite clean and clear, and sits perfectly on top of the thick and woodsy oud. I'm not particularly impressed this one though, as the rose-oud combo has been done so many times before. I really appreciate the comforting and cool addition of chamomile, which blends seamlessly with the rose, but it's a little too feminine for me overall. For the price point, I would go with either Juliette has a Gun or Montale Black Aoud instead of Silk Mood. If you want a rose-oud combo sans saffron and patchouli, I guess this would be the best choice though.

Velvet: To an unexperienced nose, this simply smells like oud. It's actually really hard to notice any of the added notes unless you think about it. Looking at the notes listed though, you can definitely smell the subtle notes of cinnamon, saffron and the turpentiney addition of Brazillian Copahu balm. Overall, it's slightly nutty, clean, yet still has that special feeling only natural oud can give off. Compared to Cashmere, there are very little barnyard or fecal notes in this one. The opening phase also has an interesting feeling to it, like a garage with motor oil and grease. It's clearly oud, but it's a sophisticated one. I see this as an oud for wearing with a suit and tie.

Cashmere: As mentioned by others, this is the best one of the three Moods to my nose too. It opens up with all the typical facets of oud: barnyard, smokey, motor oil, fecal, woody and human. Out of the three Moods, this is the one that makes the biggest statement. If I had to put the way it smells into a nutshell, I'd say it smells like one of the best quality oud oils you can buy, with the subtle addition of amber just to round things out and keep you guessing what you're really smelling. It's not super dirty, not super tame, but somewhere balanced perfectly in between. This is the only one I might consider buying, again, because they're so damn expensive!

So as I mentioned above I was invited to a breakfast at Neiman Marcus where MFK CEO Mark Chaya launched the Mood Ouds. He gave (there were 12 of us) a presentation on the perfume industry and where MFK fit in. Eventually he got around to how Francis K. was convinced to create the 3 new Ouds. Initially Francis absolutely declined to do them for the reason everyone was doing Ouds and thought everything Oud had all been done already. Marc said he was eventually convinced by arguments like, "Just because Hermes makes a great handbag doesn't mean others can't be made as well...". He then brought out multiple bottles with MFK labels that contained the different oils used in each of the new Ouds. Rose, Chamomile, Vanilla, Benzoin, Labdanum, Cinnamon, Papyrus, Saffron, Capahu Balm, and Oud. The Oud straight up is an interesting scent. A little skanky. He dipped strips in each and passed them out so we could sample right before we sampled the final Oud Mood. These are much higher concentrations as they are "Perfume Extraits". After the presentation I asked him the difference and he said where the Original MFK Oud was 18% concentration the new Oud's have 30%. (As a side note I shared the table with 3 other very lovely ladies who all owned and adored the first MFK Oud.) He also spent some time justifying the price based on how expensive the oils were. After it was over they sold several bottles. The women at the table loved the Silk Oud the most (which didn't surprise me for the Rose/Oud combo it has) and one bought Silk and picked up a Velvet for her husband. Marc signed the bottles as well. I still needed some convincing so got my 3 samples and will continue to feel them out.

My take so far is that they are all great, but I like Silk and Cashmere the most. Velvet is very good, but I know I have sampled something very similar before for much less. It comes of as a leathery Oud and for the price I would pick Tuscan Leather or even Dueto Golden Boy for the price difference. It didn't stand out as a unique enough fragrance for me to justify the price. Now Silk Oud is probably the best Rose Oud combo in terms of quality I have tried so far, but I didn't appreciate it that much more than Montale's Black Aoud for less than half the price. And I know I have plenty of Rose/Oud options over at Montale whenever I want to try their 100 variations of the same. If I were to buy one of these it would be Cashmere Oud. It was the most unique and has beast longevity. The day before I was at a different Neiman's at about 4pm and sprayed one arm with 2 sprays of Silk and the other with 2 sprays of Cashmere. The Silk seemed like the stronger projector (Montale like), but Cashmere won in the long haul. At midnight (8 hrs later) I could easily smell them on each arm. In the morning the Silk was barely there, but the Cashmere easily detectable. I wanted to do more sampling that day with different frags so scrubbed with soap in the shower. The Cashmere was still there. Anyway I will try each out a few more times to get a better feel for them. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    aphexacid, if you'd like me to translate for you, just send me a pm with the text copied. I was born and raised in Montreal so I speak and read French pretty well.
    Thank you much, thats very nice of you. I did finally get emailed back, in english. They shipped it DHL since it was a big order. I guess normally they use something called Colissimo. Which seems like its a regular mail type service. Which would have been pretty unsettling to say the least!

Mikesc, I am SO jealous! Thanks so much for the inside account of the new releases.

On a side note, I found it strange that Velvet Mood wasn't getting too much recognition on the boards, so I wore it a few days in a row. I finally got that "white musk" accord that gtsb mentioned above (in combination with ambergris?) and... it's the best part!

The drydown of Velvet Mood reminds me quite a bit of L'Antimatiere by Les Nez, which is one of my favorite fragrances. After getting to know Velvet Mood, I have to say, the saffron is really upfront and, in combination with the ambergris/white musk drydown, the oud is perfectly supported. Velvet Mood has a mysterious je se sais quoi feeling that takes time to get accustomed with, but it's very seductive and unique. It's slowly rising to be my favorite of the three, after having given each one ample time.

I agree with you... After finishing all my samples velvet is my favorite also. I was drawn to silk in the beginning because there is no secret that I love a good rose oud combo. You just can't deny velvet's charm. It's my Angelina Jolie it's dark, beautiful and mysterious. Silk is like Jessica Alba.. Everyone knows she hot, but what else can you do??
    Im the be$t @ thi$

I tried all 3 today and I just don't get it... they all smelled familiar. Nothing new here, this type of oud has been done already, Pure Oud by kilian, Montale's Original Aouds and Xerjoff Gao are a few examples. As for the Silk... I'm not even going to bother with another rose oud combo! In my opinion not even worth the 7$ I paid per sample, not because they're bad but because they bring nothing new to the world of oud fragrances.
    Last edited by hawk; 12th April 2013 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    I tried all 3 today and I just don't get it... they all smelled familiar. Nothing new here, this type of oud has been done already, Pure Oud by kilian, Montale's Original Aouds and Xerjoff Gao are a few examples. As for the Silk... I'm not even going to bother with another rose oud combo! In my opinion not even worth the 7$ I paid per sample, not because they're bad but because they bring nothing new to the world of oud fragrances.
    Hmm give it some time, I wouldn't pass them off without giving each one a few full wearings. At first I thought Cashmere and Velvet were indiscernible from each other, but after wearing them each on their own, they're totally different now. Velvet is an uber-smooth saffron and oud combo with a magnetic and ghostly drydown and Cashmere is like wearing an old and comforting wool sweater by a beach campfire.

I don't know if it's just me, but Cashmere even has this crazy top note of dill... If there's another oud-centric fragrance with a dill top note out there, let me know!

hawk is just having buyers remorse )))))))) it's smells nothing like Montale or Killian Pure Oud. You gotta give it another try. It's all about dry down. For me at least.

I don't know if it's just me, but Cashmere even has this crazy top note of dill... If there's another oud-centric fragrance with a dill top note out there, let me know!
    Not oud, but Le Labo's Santal 33 has quite a pronounced dill top note that gradually recedes as it dries down, and blends quite nicely into a woody Australian sandalwood. I find the drydown has some similarity to Oud 27 too, though slightly nicer (less sour).

I've got samples of these three Ouds on the way from luckyscent, can't wait to try them.

These fragrances are high quality and they are very good but they are way overpriced in my opinion. I do concur with Hawk to a degree, but Cashmere oud is quite nice. The Xerjoff Oud Stars were definitely more complex.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 16th April 2013 at 03:12 AM.

Hmm give it some time, I wouldn't pass them off without giving each one a few full wearings. At first I thought Cashmere and Velvet were indiscernible from each other, but after wearing them each on their own, they're totally different now. Velvet is an uber-smooth saffron and oud combo with a magnetic and ghostly drydown and Cashmere is like wearing an old and comforting wool sweater by a beach campfire.

Of course I will try them again till the samples are finished, maybe I will like one of them enough to get a full bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post
    hawk is just having buyers remorse )))))))) it's smells nothing like Montale or Killian Pure Oud. You gotta give it another try. It's all about dry down. For me at least.
    The Montale I was the referring to was Montale Original Aouds which is no longer in production. To me, it's the only Montale that has that "real oud" smell!

- - - Updated - - -

on me Cashmere is the sharper one (and I hate sharp) while velvet is smoother and more smokey. Velvet is the closer one to kilian's pure oud, I just looked at their note lists and they do share a few notes.
    Last edited by hawk; 16th April 2013 at 08:05 AM.

@ MR. Hawk: I'm glad you are still sampling because I think the Cashmere Oud is the best thing since sliced bread. This fragrance reminds me of Amber Oud with (way more) Oud, smoke, and less vanilla. It's more smokey than sweet on my skin. It's also very intriguing in hot weather.

- - - Updated - - -

@ MR. Hawk: I'm glad you are still sampling because I think the Cashmere Oud is the best thing since sliced bread. This fragrance reminds me of Amber Oud with (way more) Oud, smoke, and less vanilla. It's more smokey than sweet on my skin. It's also very intriguing in hot weather.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi