Code of Conduct

Default Why do people say Guerlain Vetiver smells "ancient"?

I honestly don't understand, it smells quite modern to me. It really smells a lot like TF Grey Vetiver.

The majority say it smells like an "old man's" vetiver.. which kept me from trying this. I own a bottle now, and am quite impressed.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Default Re: Why do people say Guerlain Vetiver smells "ancient"?

I've not heard 'ancient' or 'old man' comments much before - moreso that it's very green and sharp.

I dislike it, personally.

treeman5823

I've never smelled Vetiver. Yes, I admit it. But if it really does smell anything like Grey Vetiver, I will cry (angry tears).

Not dated to me. The new Vetiver is really citrusy, I could see how it could be compared to Tom Ford GV. The old one has more depth (tobacco).

Well, opinions are A-holes...
    To me Guerlain's Vetiver is very gd & w/o doubt worthy to buy a FB...

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    To me Guerlain's Vetiver is very gd & w/o doubt worthy to buy a FB...
    Agree.

It's great and i love it, one of the masterpiece!
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Who says it smells ancient?
    Those who say it, are they credible? What are their qualifications in order for you to accept their statements.

But no it doesn't smell anything like Grey Vetiver.

Its a different vetiver.

A greener vetiver with whiffs of tobacco and a bit of citrus on top.

Grey Vetiver is smoky and very tart (from the grapefruit).

for swap/sale:

I don't think it does to me but to answer your question
    Maybe is because Vetiver was popular back then and gentlemen wore it like maybe todays Gourmands or even Oud? So if our parents or granparent wore vetiver our brains do the assosiation.

So maybe in a few more years my daughter will perceive A*men as an Old man's scent, lol

I agree that Guerlain Vetiver smells excellent, always, and IMO is ageless. That being said, there is always a danger in wearing a fragrance that has seen more of the world than you have (I make this "mistake" all the time). Ultimately, you should wear what you enjoy, and expect some things to be lost on others, but you will never smell bad wearing Vetiver!

Overcome By Fumes

Really? Show me that survey. I don't believe it exists.

Don't listen to idiots.

I don't think Guerlain Vetiver smells anything like Grey Vetiver. I own Grey Vetiver and enjoy it as a fine fragrance for most any occasion. I sent Guerlain Vetiver back after purchasing.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Basenotes Plus

I blind-bought Guerlain Vetiver purely because of all positive reviews, and have to say the first half a dozen times I sprayed it on, I did get that 'old man' vibe. I felt like one should have been in his 30s when GV first came out (1961?). However, after a while that vibe has gone away and now I just smell very soapy vetiver. A little old school classic, but no longer 'old man'...

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, on the other hand (which I also own a big bottle of) smells very modern to me, and has since the very first time I tried it. It has similar soapy citrus vibe, just updated for our modern times.

By the same token, the first few times I tried Chanel Sycomore I thought the "burnt grass" vibe was too much and not very refreshing, but after a few wears it really grew on me and now I love it. If, however, you prefer this same scent just without that burnt grass smell - go for Encre Noir, it's nice and fresh, like just-pressed linnens or freshly starched dress shirt, giving Chanel a good run for the money.

I guess you have to like vetiver in the first place to enjoy these different interpretations of it. If you are not sure if you will like vetiver, I think Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is your safest bet, and great all around scent.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I honestly don't understand, it smells quite modern to me. It really smells a lot like TF Grey Vetiver.

The majority say it smells like an "old man's" vetiver.. which kept me from trying this. I own a bottle now, and am quite impressed.
    So you have bought a bottle of this wonderful fragrance and because other people described it in a disparaging way you won't wear it; how very sad. I assume you have smelled it, I assume you like it or else why did you buy it? I really can't see what the problem is.
    Last edited by David Ruskin; 8th March 2013 at 08:16 AM.

Because they associate the smell with fragrances that are older/worn by older people (usually). I can understand this to some extend, seeing how many mainstream, modern fragrances smell like. I don't think that GV, whilst I personally enjoy it, appeals to everyone for that reason and/or because some people simply don't enjoy vetiver.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    So you have bought a bottle of this wonderful fragrance and because other people are described it in a disparaging way you won't wear it; how very sad. I assume you have smelled it, I assume you like it or else why did you buy it? I really can't see what the problem is.
    Actually I got it in a swap, it was a "blind swap" as I have never smelled it. It's always been on my test list, but was pushed back a bit, because based on the reviews, I imagined it to be something like the vetiver note in Beckham Instinct, which smells very dated to me.

where I'm getting at, is.. I don't see why this guy isn't mentioned when people want a recommendation.. Instead you see Sycomore, Grey Vetiver, and other niche brands. This is quite versatile, niche quality and inexpensive. I'll be recommending this more often to those in need of a good, high quality vetiver.

It really does smell like Grey Vetiver to my nose, at least the opening, citrus/vetiver all the way, when it dries I get an aldihydic like smell, common note I have found in many Guerlain frags (Habit Rouge, Shalimar). I am really enjoying this one.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Sound Scents

Guerlain Vetiver doesn't smell "ancient" or anything like that to me... It is not my kind of vetiver presentation, however, and it is one of the few vetiver scents I just don't care much for. I do get the Grey Vetiver comparisons others have made, and can see someone perceiving Grey Vetiver as a modernized take on Guerlain's vetiver presentation (though hardly a clone or anything like it). I don't care much for the Tom Ford release either for the same reason the Guerlain didn't click with me.
    Last edited by drseid; 7th March 2013 at 10:06 AM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

It is the strong vetiver note. Vetiver was a very popular fragrance note in mens fragrances back in the 60s.

Nowadays, if a scent doesn't smell somewhat sweet or aquatic somewhere in the mix, youngsters more than likely will perceive it as ancient.
    Regards,
    Renato

I think the vetiver in this one is quite light - it's hidden with a lot of citrus. What makes me think this is 'dated' is actually the tobacco. Can't stand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Nowadays, if a scent doesn't smell somewhat sweet or aquatic somewhere in the mix, youngsters more than likely will perceive it as ancient.
    Regards,
    Renato
    I agree with Grandad

I think vetivers and tobacco scents were more popular in the 'olden days', so naturally people associate them with 'codgers'. It doesn't bother me really. The one exception being Eau Sauvage, which every man and his uncle seemed to wear when I was a nipper.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Just tell them you're a 400 year old vampire...

I own Grey Vetiver and it is ok IMO. Never tried Guerlain Vetiver, but on this site it seems to be liked.

Thumbs up Re: Why do people say Guerlain Vetiver smells "ancient"?

Because it doesn´t smell like bathroom cleaning products
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain Vetiver is a great tobacco-y vetiver and yes the style always strikes me as being of times gone by. Like Grey Vetiver? Uh....no.

I am in my late 30's and I get compliments from lots of ladies in
    my own age group. Not quite ancient. Might be mature
    for a college kid.
    Signature Rotation: A* Men, Pure Havane, Dunhill Pursuit, Varvatos Artisian, Guerlain Vetiver

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain Vetiver is timeless. It is still THE "Benchmark" from which all other vetivers are measured. I, personally, believe that it is a masterpiece (or near masterpiece) in virtually all bottlings as I have Vintage EdC and EdT bottlings.

It is a mature and classic scent - but will never smell ancient.

The current juice is actually wonderful, as is the (still readily available) 2000 formulation in the ribbed bottle.

Get the latest formulation if you want a very green, fresh and more linear (in a good way) vetiver. The spotlight is clearly on the root - nice bergamot on top, a dash of spices in the heart and only a light touch of Tonka Bean and a light pinch of tobacco. On the other hand, the 2000 juice has a blast of zingy lemon, bergamot and coriander. Even a nice neroli note is in here (adding a nice peppery, orange note - a spicy citric tinge that I adore). The base is much deeper with rich and smoky tobacco and heavier use of Tonka Bean. You smell vetiver throughout, but there is a lot more notes in the composition - therefore, less linear. I love both...

And, that is not even approaching my adoration of the Vintage juice from the decades before.

Guerlain Vetiver will definitely be considered an "ancient relic of taste & class" in a few hundred years...and people will probably still be wearing it in their spacesuits.

Cheers,

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post

Guerlain Vetiver will definitely be considered an "ancient relic of taste & class" in a few hundred years...and people will probably still be wearing it in their spacesuits.

Cheers,

ericrico
    I would love to have this circulating in a spacesuit. Bliss

I was shocked when I moved to France to hear peoples negative comments regarding all forms of vetiver fragrances. It is generally seen by the french as very old fashioned/old hat and a no no. I am referring to people below the age of 50.
    Anything vetiver is really pooh poohed here in France. I guess it's the same in the UK with violet fragrances. I was also shocked living in Germany by the german "severe" aversion to anything lavender, always with the connotation ~ "stinks like my Grandmother".....truly shocking and so negative.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "