Code of Conduct

Default Monsieur Rochas: new versus vintage

I am curious to find out more about Monsieur Rochas, particularly about the new version (EdT with pink juice) and how it compares to the vintage EdC (yellow juice) or vintage EdT Concentrée. There is really little information or discussion about this fragrance, on Basenotes and on the Internet in general.

How do they compare? Are the notes vastly different between the formulations?

Default Re: Monsieur Rochas: new versus vintage

Haven't tried what's out there now so I can't compare. Have a very old one but would be willing to bet that there's a marked difference.

I own vintage bottles of the eau de cologne and the edt concentree as well as a newer reformulated edt with pink juice I bought around 2006. I cannot say whether the 2013 version of the edt is the same as my bottle from 2006.

My 2006 bottle smells more or less like the older stuff as far as the notes go, but there are differences. The vintage juice is softer and smoother and better integrated. The newer is leaner and sharper with more aggressive herbal notes.

This difference in texture is typical when comparing reformulated fragrances with their vintage counterparts. I believe this is partly due to the use of different ingredients (cheaper and/or more synthetic in the newer version) and partly due to the mellowing effects of age on vintage fragrances.

Vintage Monsieur Rochas is superior to the 2006 version. The 2006 version is still Monsieur Rochas, but lacks the refinement, subtlety, and overall elegance of the vintage version.

noggs, thanks for the input! I am happy to learn that the notes are more or less the same, because some sources/reviews seem to indicate otherwise.

Since the new version is an EdT, when you refer to vintage Monsieur Rochas, are you referring to the EdC or the EdT Concentrée? In the first place, are the differences between the EdC and EdT Concentrée very large? If so, then does the new formulation resemble the EdC more, or the EdT Concentrée?

I'm not sure that 2006 version is very similar to what is available 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    I'm not sure that 2006 version is very similar to what is available 2013.
    Me, neither. Seven years is now a very long time in a fragrance's life, and it wouldn't surprise me if Monsieur Rochas had been reformulated once or even several times since 2006.

I find that the smells of the vintage cologne and edt concentree very similar. I assume that the top notes of the cologne were livelier 15-20 years ago when my bottle was new