Code of Conduct

Default SotD: Friday, 8th March 2013

Morning,

I was reading John Donne's 'Elegy IV: The Perfume' last night, and thought to share a few lines. Who amongst us hasn't been betrayed by our perfume during a nighttime assignation ?

"...But Oh, too common ill, I brought with me
    That, which betrayed me to my enemy:
    A loud perfume, which at my entrance cried
    Even at thy father's nose, so were we spied.
    When, like a tyrant king, that in his bed
    Smelt gunpowder, the pale wretch shivered.
    Had it been some bad smell, he would have thought
    That his own feet, or breath, that smell had wrought.
    "

Guerlain Li¨ today.

Best to all.

Default Re: SotD: Friday, 8th March 2013

Hello all. Helmut Lang edp
    DONNA

Great quote Gandhajala!

I'm in synch with Melograno. It takes
    a brave man/woman to wear this scent.

It has massive sillage and once induced a
    coughing fit in my sister, who bought it for me
    in Florence!
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Diptyque again, Volutes edt today. I haven't had a chance to smell the edp version yet but I look forward to it.

L'Artisan SÚville Ó l'Aube.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Today FRACAS.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. Lagerfeld KL Homme today. In synch ?...hmmm...not altogether sure. KL isn't as easy to wear or as versatile as many others in the wardrobe, but I don't really consider any of my fragrances overtly challenging. I'll be in synch for wine o'clock later though, guaranteed

Bonjour!
    ............ vintage EDT

Basenotes Plus

Joining Androidi in Diptyque, Eau Duelle for me. It's lovely on this gloomy, snowy morning.

Happy Friday, all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Sunny here finally! We get week upon week of grey skies here in the winter and by March, we're all dragging. The sunshine will do our entire state good. Still hard to believe spring is coming, what with snowbanks piled high everywhere.

In the challenging HdP Tubereuse 3 Animale today. Have a great Friday, all!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Not in sync, sotd is Tuscany Per Donna, EL.

Afternoon ladies and gents.

Andy Tauer une Rose vermeille for Challenging Synchronised Friday.

Hello everyone -

I'm in vintage No19 this morning, 80s parfum and edt. Y'all have a wonderful day!

Thanks for starting our thread so beautifully this morning, g!

Happy Birthday to Mr. teardrop! That dinner you fixed last night sounds so delicious teardrop - I hope it all went well. You enjoy your pottering and the ongoing birthday festivities!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

In sync with Jicky Guerlain. Harsh and maskuline today((

Blog Entries

Afternoon all!

Thanks Evangeline! Yes, dinner went very well, the lamb was perfectly cooked if l say so myself. Tonight we're off to our favourite ltalian restaurant for more wine & feasting.

Great start to the thread today, G!

l'm not scented yet, but will report back later.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Good morning, good smelling and challenging smelling persons.

I am assuredly *not* in synch today, except in the sense of being a little overapplied at the moment. Mango body lotion and Mure et Musc Extreme, as my package arrived in the mail yesterday, intact. Thank god for the heavy glass bottles of L'Artisan.

L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme

Thumbs up Re: SotD: Friday, 8th March 2013

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

I loved the poem gandhajala! That last line slays me.

I'm most assuredly not in sync. I'm in your camp PL. I'm in SW Michigan, and it's usually grey skies all the time. Today we have sun and 41 degrees so I"m pretending it's spring and wearing Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford. Sample is courtesy of the sweetest sales rep in Chicago. I am still working through the bag full he gave me of options. This is my first try at this scent and it's definitely fulfilling my longing for spring. Quite a change from all the deep, spicy, warm scents I've been wearing for the past two months.

Happy Friday everyone!

How utterly delightful G. Thanks so much for that.

SMN P'Eau D'Espagne for the challenging synch today. As I said to the girls, it doesn't challenge me because I really love it, but it might challenge other folk! Ah well.....

Bourbon French Parfums' Anastasia for me this morning. Not challenging at all, it is as cozy as custard pie still warm from the oven. Good take on the synch, Foustie - challenging others!

Good morning, everyone!

Teardrop, may I give you two very big thumbs up on your preferred method of celebrating? I don't think we should be relegated to just one day of celebrating ourselves. Actually, that's one of the reasons I dove headlong into this fragrance journey -- it's a way of celebrating myself and how I feel about the day every single morning and evening.

Sort of in synch today with Lutens Bois de Violette. I had trouble with this one initially because my skin really draws out the cumin, but now it's one of my early spring staples. I adore it.

Rectoverso Man Blue Atoll

By the way, it is International Women's Day.

Here is a quote I have on my inspiration board lately:

"A good measure of the civility of any society is the number of women riding bicycles."

--(from a Virginia bicycling site, can't remember where now).

MFK Amyris Homme today

Blog Entries

SotD is Evelyn.

Snowing here...looks like a good 5 inches of heavy, wet snow so far. My daughter and I will be out there shoveling when it stops later this afternoon. Tomorrow is supposed to be beautiful.

Snow days have been a real problem this year for the schools. As it is, the last day of school, originally planned for June 19, will be Fri., June 28-- it would be even later but contracts prevent the school year continuing into July. Our daughter's school (alone) has to lose some April vacation days due to the 3 extra days they had while the high school's roof was being repaired back in October, but they may lose the rest of the April vacation as well unless our town is granted relief by the State from the mandatory-180-days-of-school rule. We shall see!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Chanel No. 22
    Extrait sample.
    From Larimar, I think.

I understand 22 a little better with each attempt. It's perhaps more feminine than I, more upper class than I, more worldly than I. But we can get closer to each other with each encounter. There's just that soapy quality that may always keep us distant.

Have I mentioned lately that I love you folks? I really do. If not for the awkwardness of the Kindle keyboard, I'd pontificate and mention each and every SoTD regular by name. Thank you for being your brilliant, individualistic selves! You are the best companions, humorists and teachers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    Teardrop, may I give you two very big thumbs up on your preferred method of celebrating? I don't think we should be relegated to just one day of celebrating ourselves. Actually, that's one of the reasons I dove headlong into this fragrance journey -- it's a way of celebrating myself and how I feel about the day every single morning and evening.
    Thanks, ExtremeK, l couldn't agree more!

Q, we love you too!

Have decided on Black Orchid for this evening. l guess that makes me in synch too? l know this one is challenging to some..
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Good evening!

I've been very very busy at school this week, so I haven't visited BN often

Anyway, stay assured I've been extremely well scented: patchouli mostly, trying Ramon Monegal Mon Patchouly (weirdly metallic...) and my latest love, probably my holy grail in the note- Classic Patchouli by Von Eusersdorff. Perfect for giving me strength through these rainy gloomy days.

Have a nice evening
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Floris Eau de Santal.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Q, we love you too!

We certainly do, and as today is International Women's Day, my evening glass is raised in honour of all the female members who participate here regularly. I can only echo the sentiments of our beloved Mrs Q - each and every one of you is special and it is a privilege to spend time with you here every day.

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 8th March 2013 at 07:00 PM.

Thank you, Jon!

Oooohhh, woman.... Ooooh, fragrant ladies.. ;-)

Basenotes Institution

Here, here for all of the lovely women on Basenotes - they make each visit to this site warmer and more inviting. ((bear hugs))

In Sync in:

Orris by Tauer

"You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hi everyone!

Louve for me this afternoon.

Hello everybody
    It's Aqua Allegoria Flora Nymphea by Guerlain my scent for today
    It's my 3rd year celebration on BN today! Happy day and best wishes to you all
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Basenotes Plus

Congratulations sophi

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 8th March 2013 at 10:11 PM.

Started with Bois des ╬les earlier today, and finishing this day with my new fix, Coromandel - I think I'm in love
    Last edited by Astrud; 8th March 2013 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Congratulations sophi

Thank you !I highly appreciate this place and the company of you all ...i do not have the time to be around as much as i used to but my heart and spirit is always set on Basenotes
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

I'm sticking with Chanel for the evening, and joining Astrud in Coromandel.

Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I'm continuing with the challenging theme this evening. Iris has been a nearly impossible note for me since I started this fragrance thing almost three years ago. Impossible, that is, until a number of you wonderful Basenoters began singing so fervently the praises of Ramon Monegal Impossible Iris, that I couldn't resist.

And now, thanks to you all, I have found my iris. I even enjoyed the Prada Infusion d'Iris I sniffed the other night until I got distracted by Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia.

I'm heading out to dinner and some much-needed wine with girlfriends this evening. Idiocy was running rampant today at my company. Thank goodness for you guys to help keep me sane!

Love you all!! (((BIG HONKIN' HUGS)))

Blog Entries

I'm trying to warm up-- we finished shoveling. We had 9.5 inches of compacted snow---so it was clearly higher before it began to compact.

I sure hope that's all we're getting, but we've had snow in April here so I'm not holding my breath. Hubby will get the wheel back onto the snowblower this weekend.

SotE is Eau d'Hadrien edt, from around 2001.

Wearing Serge Lutens Fleurs d'oranger -- but not in synch. This is one of my favorites. Have a great weekend.

Could not log on in the AM. Wore Ungaro Diva as I am. Called mother in Europe to say Happy Women's day.

Raining buckets right now, perfect sleeping weather.