Code of Conduct

Cool Tommy's Rose and the Sexually Insecure Thorn of American Consumers

So I tried Tommy for the first time; not sure how I missed this one but my early fragrance days were with that other american juggernaut brand Calvin Klein. Well the scent is brilliant, a wonderful rose and spiced apple. Because its a floral, even as an EDC it's longevity is superb. There's a reason this stuff sold by the boatload, it's quite pleasant.

And let's be clear what Tommy, the all-American brand fragrance is, a modern French floral fougere, a rose fragrance with tart apple and spice accompaniment. Of course, the marketers probably realized you can't sell a rose base fragrance to the sexually insecure American consumer so you need to add fake ridiculous notes like "Kentucky blue grass." A classical French floral sold to men isn't going to fly, and even the folks that make Old Spice leave it off their note breakdown even though Old Spice's rose is even more egregiously pungent and obvious.

Rose or other florals generally have a feminine connotations to American consumers. Unfortunately, florals, like musk are what make fragrance stick. It's why the flood of boring aquatics had mostly 2 hour hang time until Maurice Roucel took an aquatic and gave it incredible longevity simply by adding a floral, mimose to his brilliant 2006 release of Nautica Voyage.

When time came to make the feminine, Tommy Girl, it was easy enough, Calice Becker, she took the same note structure of the best selling original and amped up the rose to an extreme degree to make it unmistakably, undeniably rose and therefore "feminine."

I guess why I posted is to say guys, if you want to know why masculines tend to be largely generic short-wearing rubbish, it's because of hang ups many men have admitting to themselves that they are wearing, enjoy, and smell like a flower.

Default Re: Tommy's Rose and the Sexually Insecure Thorn of American Consumers

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    There's a reason this stuff sold by the boatload
    Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    I guess why I posted is to say guys, if you want to know why masculines tend to be largely generic short-wearing rubbish, it's because of hang ups many men have admitting to themselves that they are wearing, enjoy, and smell like a flower.
    ...?

Doesn't the success of Tommy, which as you say was a best seller that sold by the boatload, disprove your own theory? Shouldn't it have been a flop?

- - - Updated - - -

I agree that Tommy is an underrated scent, by the way.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Tried it and didn't care for it at all.

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

I think his point was that men don't mind wearing florals as long as they are not aware of it. If a men's fragrance is explicitly floral, then many men won't buy it. I have long enjoyed this fragrance as well, since before I was really very aware of fragrances.

I find it interesting how the person bashing American men as being sexually insecure doesn't list what country he's from. HHhmmmmmm...

I get the point he was trying to make, but I don't agree at all, and I find the America bashing part of the post to be cheap and crass. I wonder if he's ever smelled Dior Homme. That's far more feminine than Tommy, and Dior's having no trouble selling that in the U.S. Why? Because it's a great scent. There's a long history of masculine scents with florals that have been worn by men in the U.S. And the bit about "Kentucky blue grass" ...? Singling Tommy out for marketing silliness is equally silly. Or does the OP really believe the Napoleon story Creed loves to tell about Aventus. Yes, Napoleon triumphantly returned to France with pineapples. Please. Being that at least 50% of all men's scents are purchased by women, the idea that Tommy had to hide the word rose in order to boost sales is dumb, even without the nation bashing.

I find the nation bashing, not to mention gender bashing, in the original post offensive, pompous and uncalled for, especially on a forum like this.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 8th March 2013 at 07:19 AM.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I don't care for Nautica Voyage and esp Tommy Girl, which is one of my least favourite women's perfumes ever, so I can't say that I feel a great urge to ever try the original Tommy.