Code of Conduct

Default Favorite Inexpensive Drug Store Products...

I thought it would be fun (and useful) to have a thread dedicated to favorite finds from the drug store. Here are some of mine. Please feel free to post your own.

Ponds cold cream – I’ve been using it most of my makeup-wearing life to remove makeup. Massage it in, tissue it off, then use a warm damp washcloth to finish.

Sea Breeze Astringent for Sensitive Skin (the blue one) – Thoroughly removes the Ponds residue. I follow up with a splash of water and a moisturizer. I don’t use this every day, as it's a bit harsh, but it seems to exfoliate.

Pond’s disposable facial cleansing wipes – These are great for traveling when I don't want to drag along the big tub of Pond's. They are wet, not oily.

L’Oreal 100% Oil free eye makeup remover in the blue bottle. Does the job.

L’Oreal 48 Hr Ideal Moisture, Sensitive Skin, SPF 25 – I just started using it this week, and it seems like a winner for me. Does NOT irritate my skin, soothes and hydrates just as it claims. Aveeno Calming Lotion, of all things, made my skin a littel irritated and pink. This one does not.

Wet ‘n Wild Coloricon Bronzer SPF 15 in Reserve Your Cabana – I just found this one a week or so ago. It is a very pale bronzer, not even *bronze* at all, perfect for pale faces like mine. It’s a light, blush beige color with a little shiny iridescence, which means I won’t use it on my face (I don't like shiny mica face), but it turned out to be a great all over neutral eye shadow, helping neutralize the pinkness of the skin there. (Made in China)

Wet ‘n Wild MegaSlicks lip glosses, assorted colors – I’ve been using these for a hundred years. They are $1.99 each and come in an assortment of sheer tints. The formula is a bit thin, which I actually like because I don’t like thick, gacky, shiny lips. I can’t go matte, though, because I need protection on my lips, and these are great.

Jordana Easyliner for Lips – Retractable creamy lip pencils in an assortment of colors for $1.99. (Made in USA!). I don’t line my lips but rather color in my lips, using the pencil like a thin crayon. Then I go over it with a sheer lip gloss. I also use other drugstore brands of lip pencils (L’Oreal, Cover Girl). The drugstore doesn’t seem to be replenishing stock on lip pencils lately because apparently lip liners are so dated and out of fashion.

Yardley Soaps – My perennial favorite is English Lavender. Such a soothing scent. It’s a good closet freshener, too. The Aloe one smells nice, too.

Vaseline Petroleum Jelly – On a windy cold day a dab of this protects my face better than anything. And a tiny dab tapped on under the eyes around the orbital bones adds a little brightening shine and extra protection.

Chapstick lip balm - Goes well over the lip pencil colored lips when I don’t want a shiny look.

Vaseline Intensive Care and Jergens lotions for hands and body. Been using these my entire life. Nothing works better.

Maybelline Shine Free pressed powder – my latest discovery, only $5 at the grocery store. It might cost even less at Walmart or a discount store. Mine is Soft Cameo 02. It isn’t a miracle product, merely a neutral almost transparent powder, non-scented, that takes away shine. Sometimes I just like a little powder rather than foundation, and My MAC Studio Fix powder is looking a bit thick and cakey these days. This Maybelline powder is much sheerer. Still made in USA.

Finally, not a drugstore item, as I order mine online, but I keep rosewater to use as a freshener/toner on my face. I use Alteya brand, an organic hydrosol rosewater from Bulgaria. The rosewater is a byproduct of distilling Bulgarian rose petals to make attar (or oil?) of roses. It's the real deal, and it smells just a tad vegetal and briny, not like a sweet live rose, although it isn't as briny as a pickle. I think it's about $25 for sixteen ounces. Something like that. I highly recommend it.

Default Re: Favorite Inexpensive Drug Store Products...

Not drug store but on ebay and handmade by a lady in Scotland.

Cleansing Balm £5 for 100gms with different essential oils to suit different skins. elimae4u. As good as the expensive highend brands.

Marks and Spencer own brand skin care is fabulous and even has the bunny logo.
    DONNA

Not always necessarily the cheapest, but not the most expensive either, also quite easily found in regular drugstores:

Genuinely seconding Yardley bar soaps, also adding the lavender-scented shower gel of the same manufacturer- pure bliss, some of the smoothest, yet most natural and simple, but also timelessly stylish lavender notes

Nesti Dante- mainly their bar soaps, not just upscale, but throughly environmentally-friendly, discreetly yet persistently scented, lots of natural ingredients and unusually high tolerability and moisture even for sensitive skin, also looking forward to discover their shower gels and liquid soaps in future

Je Reviens, not just the scent but the matching body care products- the scented talcum powder, the bar soap, the shower gel and the body milk, though affordable, smell much more expensive than their actual cost and have a rather unisex fragrance note

Further matching scented body care/beauty/grooming etc. products, this time, by drugstore retailed fragrances, both female (like most Elizabeth Arden products, Vanderbilt etc.) and male ones (Daniel Hechter Caractere) - in all these cases, the persistent and pleasant scent is combined with good features and qualities of the product itself

Anything by Cussons Imperial Leather- especially their classic bar soap, but also the shower gels, foam baths, scented talcum powder- one of the cleanest, literally soapiest scent notes around, very affordable too

Almost anything by L'Erbolario, both their fragrances and their matching scented body care/beauty/grooming etc. products- another apothecary-style, hidden gem amongst Italian manufacturers, a variety of traditional Mediterranean scents, also with good skin care benefits

Baylis&Harding- inexpensive British cosmetics and body care company with a record-worthy output of pleasantly and non-generically scented, very fresh but also relaxing shower gels, liquid soaps, hand and body lotions etc.

Old Spice, surprisingly or not, far more the matching deodorants, bar soaps etc. than the actual fragrance- these products have the advantage to combine just a hint of this classic scent note, without the strong "Old Spice overpowering accord" (liked by some including myself, but easy to dislike because of its strength)

Sulfur soap bars by Harrogate's - pleasant and skin-friendly, easy and pampering to use even in the absence of mixed/oily skin or other skin problems, in fact, one of the most mild and forgiving sulfur-based formulations

Dr. Scheller- almost any cosmetic, grooming and body care products by this certified organic German manufacturer combine some of the most natural and pleasant ingredients, especially in its price range

Grace Cole Ltd. gift sets- versatile and extensive selections of cosmetic and body care lines, neatly and even artistically packed together, grouped in quite diverse scent notes
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 29th March 2013 at 11:39 AM.

Aveeno unscented body lotion

Eucerin skin calming body wash. Good for everyday showering (I add some perfumed body oil for a fragrant shower)

Nivea essentially enriched body lotion: more calming for me than most others (perhaps it's because almond oil. I like almond oil too, which is also found in some drugstores).

Gold bond healing foot cream: talons crack very easily after the pool.

CVS dry skin therapy deep repair hand cream (which is the same formula as one of the Eucerin hand creams): based on urea, it seems to work very well on my hands.

cacio

I use Eucerin Smoothing Repair Dry Skin Lotion on my face and occasionally my hands. It provides gentle, non-greasy, and very long lasting moisture. (I tend to have very dry skin, and this has staved off any signs of dryness throughout the winter!)

Burt's Bees lip balm.

Avalon Organics lotion is wonderful, and the lavender smells fantastic. Makes my skin feel soooo soft.

Queen Helen's Cocoa Butter Creme. Cheap and effective at softening skin. I use this especially on my feet.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Love Burt's Bees Pomegranate lip balm

I like products by PHEBO and GRANADO, two very old brands of cosmetics here in Brazil. They offer quality for a VERY low price.

The new DOVE - Men care line is really great.
    I used to use mainly Nivea for men products, mais am now switching to the new Dove for men line.
    Ce message provient du Québec!

Ken Russell, I'm envious that you have all those Je Reviens bath products in your drugstore!

I'm so interested in the drugstore lines outside the USA. I think you all have more interesting things! Maybe it just seems that way from this side of the fence.

Miss Casey, I forgot all about Queen Helene! I love that brand. I love the mint mud facial masque, though it is fairly drying as it is clay (fullers earth?) I believe, which is better for oily skin, but it gets deep into pores to suck out impurities and it is gentle, not abrasive. You just need to use a good moisturizer afterward. I bought a Queene Helene cocoa butter stick, sort of a push up thing in a tube, but I never used it for anything. I'm not sure why I bought it, it just appealed to me.

Cacio, I also use almond oil - on my face. I've been adding a couple of drops of lavender essential oil added for its healing properties. I read about that on makeupalley, and I think it works. At least, it seems to when I do it regularly, but I tend to get lazy and/or forget. I can't use more than one or two drops of lavender oil or it becomes irritating - the reverse result.

My husband likes Dove soap and Nivea, too. But he will use whatever lotion is closest to hand, as long as it isn't very perfumey. I like Vaseline Intensive Repair unscented lotion. It isn't actually unscented, it has a very, very faint laundry musk sort of scent.

Basenotes Plus

ooh Yardley soap is great!

Another good make-up cheapo is Wet & Wild coloricon pencils. Classic and trendy colors- $2 each but I wait till they're on sale and get them 2fer.
    I also like to use pencil lightly as a base fill-in color and then put some balm or gloss over it. Just gloss alone is too sticky and gone in 60 seconds.

Argo cornstarch or cornstarch baby powder from the dollar store. I spoon a little into a spice jar or zip loc bag, spray in some fragrance and stir or shake the heck out of it. Voila! A talc matching a scent for a few pennies.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

The wannabe Ponds at Dollar General
    Ponds sensitive skin cream
    Eucerin

The further advantage of regular drugstores/pharmacies/cosmetic stores etc. where I live is that increasingly more of them (and counting) contractually, thus perfectly vouching for authenticity, become re-sellers, authorized distributors etc. of established cosmetic brands (mid-range and above) like Vichy, Avene, Galenic, Roc, La Roche-Posay, Uriage, Eucerin, Seba Med, Caudalie, Bioderma, L'Erbolario, Apivita, even L'Occitane as of lately.
    All this at comparatively affordable prices, partly due to occasional promotions, in order to familiarize customers with this brand and to gain/consolidate a steady market share, partly due to slowly, but steadily increasing turnovers, thus allowing to keep prices reasonable while still remaining profitable.

Cetaphil moisturizing lotion and facial cleanser
    Burt's Bees lip care products
    Tom's of Main deodorant
    jojoba oil for hair treatment and eye makeup removal
    Neutrogena sunblock

Forget the brand, but I get these dark chocolates from Kenya at my drug store, that are heavenly.

Also on fragrances, Nautica Competition & Hummer for CAD $20 is a decent deal.

Aveeno unscented moisturizer is another good buy, although Walmart does have better prices...

Looks like I m not into drugstore products))), what I owe and love are Burts and Bees Cuticul Balm and Loccitane Shea Hand cream.
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

Aqueous cream. Best discovery since I moved to England. As a facial cleanser I just smear it on and then remove with a warm washcloth. Even removes eye makeup. And totally non-drying.

I also love Ponds cold cream, Vaseline, Lubriderm lotion, and ChapStick.

And I second Cacio's recommendation of urea lotions and creams for really dry skin - but thanks, Cacio, for the recommendation of the generic one. Didn't know that existed.

Vaseline intensive care has been proven to be as good if not better than some of the high end named £100+ creams with some proper scientific research. I cannot lay hands on the article, but I read so long ago.

I swear by eight hour cream and the tinted lippie of the same.

Tescos black 'make-up' range by Barbara Daley.

Bourgois powders and blushers.

Any magazine giveaway of a really nice tinted product that is ordinarily way out of budget. Take a sample sized pot and half fill it with your favourite fairly solid face/night cream and squeeze the sample out on top of the plain cream. The sample then lasts for a long time because the base cream acts like a wet palette. Useful for concealers you cannot normally afford.

Plain ol witch hazel.... at target a bottle is $1.25.

got shaving irritation on your face or legs? put witch hazel in a spray or misting bottle. once done shaving, rinse with warm water then spray witch hazel on very liberally, until its dripping off your entire face, legs, whatever. Let it stay like this for a minute or 2, then rinse off with cold water. Yes it smells weird, i think somewhat like a campfire. Who cares, you wash it off after a minute. REALLY helps with shaving irritation. Dont believe me? Visit a wet shaving forum and look at all the posts about witch hazel....... its like Aventus here on BN.

I love witch hazel.

Lucas Papaw ointment is great. It may not be so well know in Europe and the States, but in our part of the world this ointment is a cult product. I use it as a lip balm/moisturizer and a quick zap for insect bites.

I use apricot kernel oil as a facial cleanser. Massage it in, then wipe it off with a warm, wet washcloth. Follow with Thayer's Rose Scented Witch Hazel.

I've been using almond oil (1/4 tsp) with a drop of organic lavender essential oil dropped in it to massage into my face and neck at night before bed. My skin has a nice texture when I wake up, but it isn't fading my age spots. This is the latest evidence of looming decrepitude: I'm getting age spots now.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    This is the latest evidence of looming decrepitude: I'm getting age spots now.
    Lol.... At least we are here to display our decrepitude. Wasn't it lemon juice and chamomile to fade freckles? It may work on age spots. I think I am an age spot.....

I've read that frankincense is supposed to help with age spots. Those age spots are a result of going outside and enjoying oneself in the fresh air and sunshine. I have lots of age spots!

Lemon juice, chamomile and frankincense oil. Those are all worth a try. Thank you!

Pears soap, Kylie Minogue perfumes, 4711 cologne for heatwave/hot summer days, rosehip oil great for mature skin, german brand Balea products also Alverde products.

- - - Updated - - -

see www.dm.de/

I like the L'Oreal Paris Men Expert line and Nivea line at the drugstore.

L'Oreal Facial Cleanser and Scrub:
    *Hydra Energetic Cleansing Gel
    *Hydra Energetic Magnetic Charcoal Cleaner
    *Hydra Energetic Detoxifying Cleansing Foam
    *Oil Controller Deep Cleansing Scrub

Hydra Energetic Energizing Powered Water Toner
    Hydra Energetic Turbo Booster Wake-Up Fuel

Hydra Energetic Ice Cold Eye Roller

Hydra Energetic Icy-Effect Shaving Gel
    Hydra Energetic Multi-Repairing Gel Icy-Effect After Shave Balm
    Nivea After Shave Splash

Nivea Creme Hair Gel

Nivea for Men Shampoo:
    *Cool Kick Shampoo only
    *Strong Power Shampoo only
    *Power Anti-Dandruff Shampoo only

L'Oreal Power Moisture Hair Conditioner

Nivea For Men Shower Gel:
    *Pure Impact
    *Vitality Fresh
    *Relax & Recharge
    *Cool Kick
    *Platinum Protect
    *Power Refresh

Nivea For Men Sensitive Roll On Deodorant
    L'Oreal Paris Men Expert Sensitive Sensitive Comfort Roll on Deodorant

Nivea For Men Regenerating Night Moisturizer

Nivea For Men Moisturizing Body Lotion

Nivea For Men SPF4 Lip Balm
    Nivea 'Kiss of Smoothness' Hydrating SPF10 Lip Balm
    L'Oreal Ombrelle SPF30 Lip Balm

L'Oreal Ombrelle Complete SPF60 Suncreen
    L'Oreal Paris Ideal Moisture-Sensitive skin sunscreen lotion SPF25

Now I just need some suggestions on unscented suncreen. Anyone have some good ones? Unscented??? Wanting to try some new ones.
    Last edited by just-visiting; 8th May 2013 at 01:05 AM.

Blog Entries

Good old-fashioned NIVEA CREAM. There are also various Men products. NIVEA has such a pleasant little smell. Fresh and skin-like.

And here's this link for some nostalgia - http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.gr/201...nostalgic.html
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)