Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Is Eros really that bad?

A magazine came in the mail with samples, and Eros was one of them. The paper, in my view, is a good way to judge as it represents both the top and base accurately. The other samples were Issey Miyakes, Essenza and Bulgari Extreme, but Eros stood out from the bunch, for me. It doesn't stand out from all fragrances in general, but if you compared Eros to Bulgari or Dolce&Gabanna fragrances, it does stand out.

I've heard a lot of bashing of Eros, and as I smell it, I don't get it. It's actually quite pleasant. Okay, it's no masterpeice, it is synthetic, I'm not sure about it's projection/longevity and I don't think I would pay retail for it, but I actually like it. I'd say it's probably maybe a hair better than the average fragrance, but thats all, but it's not bad.

I think some people said this before but it does feel like Bleu de Chanel mixed with 1 Million (I'm a big fan of 1 Million, and I like BdC as well). Eros does smell like a chaotic flurry of notes and a little cheap, but then again, that's exactly what I said about Chanel's Allure Homme. I don't think Eros can be a disappointment because the Versace line has never came out with anything spectacular, though it did have some nice releases. If this were a Calvin Klein release, I would commend them for making an improvement, but I guess with Versace, people tend to associate greater expectations of quality.

I think it's worth sampling, though I don't recommend blind buying.

Default Re: Is Eros really that bad?

It doesn't smell good IMO.

it's alright. i can see why baseenotes would massacre it though. mainstream, synthetic.

Banned
    Blog Entries

to me, eros seems like a fragrance that's not love or hate, but rather like or dislike. it is discernably different from what's out there, but it never goes the full mile in innovation.

in the end, fragrances like Angel Men or Fahrenheit or Egoiste will find people who absolutely love them and people who absolutely hate them. But Eros could be enjoyed by beginners or people who buy anything decent without discriminating tastes.

Eros wouldn't fit in my lean-20 collection. But if I had a 150 bottle collection, Eros would have a spot.

You said it, chaotic flurry of notes, synthetic and cheap. Hate is a big word, but at the least I dislike it intensely.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    You said it, chaotic flurry of notes, synthetic and cheap. Hate is a big word, but at the least I dislike it intensely.
    Still better in these regards than Allure Homme.

I smelled just bottle yesterday and it immediately reminded me Axe Excite... except of that it smelled worse than Axe.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Banned
    Blog Entries

It does unfortunately have that Axe vibe lol.

It is really bad. Tested it yesterday along with Fan di Fendi. Both are awful.

Almost all scents launched after 2010-2011 are disappointing, you should know...

I didn't "hate" it. I just found it similar to other releases such as Luna Rossa, which I liked, but then with a bunch of vanilla added. I just found it unnecessary for me

90% of designer fragrances launched within the past few years are trash, all of my purchases are niche fragrances or discontinued designer fragrances pre IFRA regulations.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 11th March 2013 at 02:36 AM.

Falls between very bad to worse...

I don't think it's as bad as some make it out to be. In fact, I don't think it's bad at all.

It's not bad, but X Rocawear smells almost identical (berry topnotes instead of mint) and costs 1/3 of the price of Eros.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I quite like it. I've smelt a lot of the fragrances is Nordstrom and Macy's and I'd put it above most of the designer fragrances.

Banned
    Blog Entries

yeah, with me.

as i said, i can't say if it's bottle worthy, but i do know that it's better than a majority of designers (even with all of its flaws)

I've not smelled it in person, but I did sniff the magazine insert and wasn't impressed at all. It struck me as a cheap Axe type ripoff of Allure Homme Sport (or maybe AHS Eau Extreme as it was very sweet). I'm not usually a big fan of citrus mixed with a sweet base. (I prefer spices or wood with my sweeter scents), So this isn't really for me. I was, however, impressed with the sample of ADG Essenza that was in the same magazine. Far far more impressive than Eros. As far as Versace, The Dreamer is still this house's masterpiece.

It's not awful, but it's also not worth paying retail prices for a bottle.

Like I say about most dept. store frags...they are safe, polite, and Many Bn'ers will rip them up b/c they aren't niche. I like it, but it isn't 'special' If I got a good deal, I'd buy it.