Code of Conduct

Default Vintage shalimar

Hi, I purchased this shalimar bec it was what my mother wore (and I wanted to smell it). I had tried to win a few auctions on ebay and was never able to. This particular auction, I was the only bidder. Hoping that I got lucky (and didn't buy a dud). Is it possible to tell from the listing. When I recieve item, I can post more pictures. I will post what I think is pertinent as this is my first time posting. Thanks in advance, Eve

Item: Vintage Shalimar
    Seller: treasurebroker01
    item #: 400425978167
    Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=400425978167

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: Vintage shalimar

Looks good, but smelling is what counts. G'luck! (and welcome)

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Looks like a great buy, but as docluv45 said the proof is in the scent. If it's sealed and never been opened then you stand a very good chance of the juice being well preserved and smelling great!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

As others have said, it seems ok. The fact that there is a box is a plus - no guarantee that it has been kept there, but at least there's the possibility. As always, buying vintage is never riskless, but this is true of all purchases.

cacio

Thank you to everyone for your feedback. This particular auction allows me to return for 14 days. I imagine if the parfum has not kept it's scent, I can return it. I am not, however, familiar with this bottle. Will I be able to open and smell without breaking a seal of some sort. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
    Eve

queen of the universe

Welcome, evesorto. I see you won! The purple box is a good vintage. I'm betting it's good. I've had good luck with vintage fragrance, and this sealed boxed Shalimar looks like the real deal. Enjoy and report back to us!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it.

Just for future reference, the crowd on the MUA fragrance board is quite vigilant against fake vintage perfume ebay sellers. A few of the people there have been collecting info about bad auctions and sellers, with photos and explanations and all sorts, for ages. If I were thinking about a vintage fragrance purchase, I'd definitely check there first.

One of my best clients loves Shalimar and has been a great collector of the finest fragrances of the 20th Century, I thought that I'd share a photograph of two bottles from their collection from when I visited for a bespoke fragrance consultation with them...
    Vintage Shalimar Bottles - Wal Cecil Collection small.jpg

It's a wonderful honor now to be considered amongst their greatest hits collection with my own perfumes. :-)
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    Gold Medal for "Best Aroma"; Los Angeles Artisan Fragrance Salon

Hi, I did recieve the Shalimar. It smelled liked I remembered (almost). I imagine my mother's "chemistry" was the missing ingredient. I actually wore some yesterday. It started out a bit musty/medicinal, but within a few minutes it became that sweeter/sultrier scent that I remembered.

I browsed the ebay listings again and came upon the following auction in it's last 30 seconds. Without researching, I bid and won. I was pulled in by the year - 1967. Hope I luck out again

Item: Vintage Shalimar Toilette
    item #: 400430194250
    seller: *honestseller*
    Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400430194250...84.m1439.l2649

Again, any feedback regarding bottle "correctness" will be greatly appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    Eve

A little off note at the start is extremely common in vintage perfumes, some top materials deteriorate very fast (likely, citrus, Shalimar has a lemony start). But then, as you point out, it goes away.
    Congratulations anyway, great purchases.

cacio

Banned

that medicinal note may come from bergamot top i noticed it only in PDT....not in EDT, and i smelled new new version of Shalimar today!!

its different then 2011 version! which was trying to mimick maybe that little sharpness from the start, but it stayed there for too long, and was much more masculine and a lot less vanilla scent that i could not even get why all people are talking about some creamy vanilla creme brulle??

this new version is i think better, with ingredients available today this is best one can get.....there is no opoponax, musk nothing dirty in the background that Shalimar is famous for......but the hay note is under control now! and m,uch more lemon vanilla.....and bottle is gorgeous too! finest spray i have seen so far! that wows me

Vintage Shalimar is lovely but vintage Mitsouko is 2 times lovely

Hi all,
    I am really not knowledgeable with regards to perfumes. I've read quite a bit lately, but there is a lot of info out there and sometimes, I am unable to make heads or tails of it all. I was looking at the Vintage Shalimar parfum bottle that I recently purchased and I can see that some letters are etched in the glass ( I can make out an "M" as in Made), Is this "collectible". Thanks for any info.

Item: Vintage Shalimar
    Seller: treasurebroker01
    item #: 400425978167
    Link: Item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SHAL...vip=true&rt=nc

Eve