Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Fragrances that "WOW" you recently?

Nombre Noir

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes65 View Post
    I just explored the relatively new Ramon Monegal line...Have tried them all, Dry Wood and Agar Musk were both "wow" scents.
    +1
    agar musk wowed me
    My current obsessions for now
    Oud Wood , Noir de Noir , DHI , Mugler Cologne , Bond No.9 Bleeker St. ,
    Ramone Monegal Agar Musk & Umbra , Chanel Coromondel ,

his barcelona store is superb, one of the best if not the best boutique in barcelona.

My latest "wow" fragrance that I just sampled earlier today is Prada's Luna Rossa. Very impressed! I went back and got a sample which I've been wearing tonight, and this may be the mint fragrance I've been searching for. Definitely a future purchase for me.

Timbuktu by L'Artisan. This scent is glorious, knocked my socks clear off.

Nothing has wowed me recently. The most interesting things I've sniffed lately were by Amouage - Opus VII, Tribute, Homage, and other attars.

I thought Sahara Noir was pretty good based on a quick sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    L'Eau D'Issey Sport
    When this first came out I gave it a quick try and didn't like it at all. Fast forward to a few days ago when I decided to give it another chance. Still didn't like the opening all that much, it reminds me of asphalt and lemons :} BUT, after it stayed on my skin for awhile I really liked it! The citrus and the nutmeg combine for a very nice fragrance that had wonderful longevity on my skin.
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Amouage Tribute, I can't get over the frankincense.

Amouage Interlude Man, damn I love that juice

One more that impressed me recently: Terryfic Oud by Terry de Gunzburg.

I was wowed recently by MFK Oud Cashmere Mood. A well balanced oud fragrance that has the intensity needed to bring alive and enhance the oud note which is kind of shy in character but mesmerizing in effect. All of the other oud fragrances I've tried really focus on complimentary notes whereas this one seems to build totally around oud.

I have been moderately wowed by the new Atelier Cologne Sous le toit de Paris. This is a fresh take on traditional violet and leather notes that is refreshing and very satisfying. I like it more than I expected.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 5th May 2013 at 08:38 PM.

Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia. The opening is a giant hit of everything it promises to be: a vintage roadster with sunbaked rubber tires, wrinkled and crazed leather seats, and gasoline stains around the fill spout. The patina of good tobacco, and more aged rubber ... Whoah. Styrax and birchtar dreams.

But that's so fleeting! It dries down to a dull, vanillic indistinct thing that says, "this is a men's fragrance." Sigh. :s

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    I have been moderately wowed by the new Atelier Cologne Sous le toit de Paris. This is fresh cologne stylistic take on traditional violet and leather notes is refreshing and very satisfying. I like it much more than I expected.
    I was moderately-plus wowed on Sous le Toit — hehehe. Not slam-wowed or even sham-wowed, but definitely more than moderately wowed. It's just damned attractive, fun and wearable. And the sillage is enchanting.
    Last edited by onaluna; 5th May 2013 at 07:14 PM.
    Don't ask me to scrute the geranium. Some things are inscrutable.

Opus VII> ? How was it Noggs??

What We Did In Paris Is Secret by A Lab On Fire. I just LOVE the smell but it's not very long lasting unfortunately.

Comme des Garcons Black EDT - A new release from CDG that's gone back to the "old school" roots. Definitely worth a sniff for any fan of Comme des Garcons, or fragrances that have tar qualities. This one has a brash top that contains birch tar, pepper, woods and incense that will blow your mind!

I had today a chance to smell and old version of Armani Eau Pour Homme when visiting my childhood friend. That stuff was something so good that it feels unreal! How come i have missed such a masterpiece? I remember trying it in the 80's but it didn't impress back then - now it did!!!
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Quote Originally Posted by Tucansam View Post
    +1
    agar musk wowed me
    Wearing this one today. I must say that "wow" is a good one word response. Wife said same thing. Will be buying a bottle of this very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Comme des Garcons Black EDT - A new release from CDG that's gone back to the "old school" roots. Definitely worth a sniff for any fan of Comme des Garcons, or fragrances that have tar qualities. This one has a brash top that contains birch tar, pepper, woods and incense that will blow your mind!
    This is coming to me in a sample vial, as well as CdG Play Black, just for a fun comparison.
    Don't ask me to scrute the geranium. Some things are inscrutable.

La Nuit de l'Homme, even though it's very popular it amazed me.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Onda Parfum Extrait (vintage)

A modern day Vintage Tabarome.
    Last edited by pluran; 12th May 2014 at 03:27 AM.

Eau Sauvage Parfum

I was with a sales rep at Sephora, along with 2 other staff trying to help me find something, I asked, what is this? they sprayed it on a tester and gave it to me, my reaction must have been PRICELESS as one of the staff immediately had to smell it for themselves.

Creed Jardin D' Amalfi

- - - Updated - - -

Creed Jardin D' Amalfi

Amber Narguile. Sweet warm apple pie amber.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddysLittleHelper View Post
    Eau Sauvage Parfum

I was with a sales rep at Sephora, along with 2 other staff trying to help me find something, I asked, what is this? they sprayed it on a tester and gave it to me, my reaction must have been PRICELESS as one of the staff immediately had to smell it for themselves.

Pretty special stuff. Potent, too. Two sprays and you're set. Might wear it this week some time.

Vintage Hermes Bel Ami
    Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe - far and away my favorite amber-based fragrance
    Several Santa Maria Novella frags - Acqua di Sicilia, Pot Pourri, Opoponax
    Several Slumberhouse frags - Norne, Vikt, Sova, Jeke
    Eau de Guerlain - cannot stop sniffing myself. Stunningly beautiful citrus

Quote Originally Posted by Grungevig View Post
    Vintage Hermes Bel Ami
    Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe - far and away my favorite amber-based fragrance
    Several Santa Maria Novella frags - Acqua di Sicilia, Pot Pourri, Opoponax
    Several Slumberhouse frags - Norne, Vikt, Sova, Jeke
    Eau de Guerlain - cannot stop sniffing myself. Stunningly beautiful citrus
    great list, those are all very "wow" worthy!

Kanon Agarwood. Dirtt cheap at Marshalls and smells so damm good!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Gucci pour homme ii. It's probably one of the few designers that make me go wow.

That and d&g the one, ysl la nuit, pure malt, and dhi.

Pal Zileri Sartoriale.
    Perfect blend of Gucci Envy and Rush.

Enchanted Forest wow'd me recently from the sample i got, enough to warrant a full bottle methinks.

Montale's Chypre Vanille was my test drive today. I quite like it as well. The vanilla is not sweet, its just lovely, quite dry and inviting, considering a full of this as well.

The frag budget has been blown for this month on clothes and dvds though :|

Pegasus Parfums de Marly
    The best vanilla I have ever experience
    Longevity it's also amazing

Serge Lutens Amber Sultan
    TdH (yes!)
    Chanel Egoiste - poor longevity on my wrist , though... gone after 3 hours

Memoir Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    What We Did In Paris Is Secret by A Lab On Fire. I just LOVE the smell but it's not very long lasting unfortunately.
    That one actually lasts very well on me. Weird!

Escentric Molecules Kinski. A hauntingly beautiful Vetiver scent. I can't smell the dirty, animalic side of it, which is mentioned sveeral times.

Eau de Frhliche - A very kind and generous perfumista sent me a decant. I am wowed and then some.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/282...ght=frochliche

Haven't been wow-ed in a while.

Current favourite: Spiritueuse Double Vanille

The few things that have "wowed" me lately that I have smelled for the first time in 2014...

Xerjoff Nio. Not a fan of very much from Xerjoff, so I had lowered expectations. But based on the recent love it has been getting by some other Basenoters, I got in on a split of this. Amazing stuff. Will need to get a full bottle of this very soon I am sure.

24 Gold. Would have never expected to like this. Just wore this last night for the first time - I'm still amazed at how excellent this stuff is. I don't ever bother trying celeb scents, and this is basically in the same category, but this stuff is REALLY good. Was not expecting that.

Puredistance Black. On first sniff I just thought it was an office-friendly version of Nasomatto Duro. But the more I wear it, the more I really enjoy some of it's subtleties. Really a nice scent that works well in a lot of situations. Growing on me more and more.

Majda Bekkaio Mon Nom Est Rouge. Incense & Rose. Not a new idea. But this one pulls it off as well as anything I have smelled before (possibly even as good as Paestum Rose!), and adds a really nice amber to the mix. Killer longevity too.

Creed Green Valley. Blind bought this last month from the Creed Boutique based on BN love. I was expecting something soft and breezy. This has a green punch to it that was quite unexpected. It certainly lives up to it's name, and smells more like a rainy golf course than anything else in my collection. Going to be wearing this one a lot this year.

Dior Cologne Royale. Received a sample from a fellow Basenoter a little while back, and I think a full bottle of this will be in my future at some point. Nice and fresh - with that distinctive "Dior" vibe, with a touch of musk to give it a unique twist. The musk says clean and luckily never gets dirty. Wife loves it on me too.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Some recent eye openers are:

Memo Shams
    Memo Italian Leather
    Matriarch Blackbird

Every time I wear No 19!

Shalimar parfum initial Leau

Wow it was March 2013 I posted something here and re-reading it, it seems like just a month ago.

Well, Dries van Noten was a wow for me, I think it's great, and Chypre Palatin lived up to all the praise it has received.

In the last year or so the 'wowz' for me have been: Fate Woman, L'Arbre, Tam Dao EDP, Ode a la Vanille 'Mexique', CdG Black, the revamped Yohji Homme and Epices Marine (altho I can understand it's not for everyone).

Cuir d'Oranger has also become a wow, a late discovery for me and I am deeply indebted to friends elsewhere who found me three bottles of this amazingly 'obvious' and yet totally surprising piece of work.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    ― Isaac Asimov

Another recent stunning experience was a classic deservedly enjoyed and valued here on Basenotes: namely Havana by Aramis. Stunning notes development in my opinion, impressive depth, warmth and complexity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Another recent stunning experience was a classic deservedly enjoyed and valued here on Basenotes: namely Havana by Aramis. Stunning notes development in my opinion, impressive depth, warmth and complexity.
    You are right, there. I was just trying to work out what to wear tomorrow; problem solved

Eva Kant by O'Driu', Ettore Bugatti EDT, Eau Scandaleuse by Anatole Lebreton.
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Jil Sander - Man
    Comme des Garons - Black
    Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'ascse
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Ambra Nobile.

MDCI Chypre Palatin This one is very special indeed, I bough two bottles!
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    Xerjoff Rich Wood
    Xerjoff Homme
    Roja Dove Roja
    Hermes BelAmi

Esencia Loewe all the way. Just perfect for me. I also love spice and wood.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

[QUOTE=dougczar;3146587]The few things that have "wowed" me lately that I have smelled for the first time in 2014...

Creed Green Valley. Blind bought this last month from the Creed Boutique based on BN love. I was expecting something soft and breezy. This has a green punch to it that was quite unexpected. It certainly lives up to it's name, and smells more like a rainy golf course than anything else in my collection. Going to be wearing this one a lot this year.

Green Valley is a scent I enjoy very much too.

Basenotes Plus

Turtle Vetiver Back. A very different take on vetiver. I sampled it side by side with Oliver & Co Vetiverus, but Turtle Back won. Very funky, sort of Jovoy Private Label (-ish) kind of take on the root. A must try if you love vetiver. Heck, even if you don't, try it anyway, as the vetiver note here is unlike any other vetiver-centric fragrance you may be familiar with.

Basenotes Plus

And oh yeah, duh... Jovoy Private Label!!! I got a sample from a generous BN friend and it was love at first sniff. I literally didn't care how much it cost, I just had to have a bottle. Thankfully it turns out it's a little under $200 so it didn't break the bank. I *love* this type of fragrance, and this one came completely out of nowhere. If it wasn't for this one small sample, I would have likely never tried this one. It immediately landed in my top-5 most favorite fragrances ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Absolutely. Especially the Reserva version.

O Hira by Stephane Humbert Lucas 777. Unique, rich, potent and smells wonderful. Might have to coax my son into letting me borrow it on occasion.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Tam Dao Eau de Parfum
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Ferrari Silver Essence EDP
    Midnight in Paris EDP
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Blog Entries

Wonderwood by Comme des Garcons

Basenotes Plus

Amouage tribute attar
    Amouage reflection man
    Vintage Bel Ami
    Hanae Mori HiM
    Micallef Shanaan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Regarding anything made recently, not much.

Not something I'd wear, but Fate Woman is excellent for something made these days.

Kilian - A Taste of Heaven. Just amazing!

Blog Entries

Tiffany For Men just re-wowed me. Other recent wows include Santal Massoa, Karl Lagerfeld Men, Un Bois Sepia, and Mitsouko Parfum.