Code of Conduct

Thread: Back to Creed

Basenotes Member

Default Back to Creed

It's more than a week ago that I paper tested Taberome, Aventus and GIT. Now that I'm left with only the basenotes, how comes that they smell identical. Unless I'm wrong, all three have different base notes so is it just my inexperienced nose that is unable to detect the differences. If I've said a faux pas, just put it down to being a rookey.

Default Re: Back to Creed

Most Creeds have a similar ambergris base. After a week, I suppose that's all that's left on the paper.

Basenotes Member

Thanks for the swift reply Randall Flagg and for clearing that problem for me.
    Now that you've explained the reason, can I take advantage of your experience. I now can confirm and recognise that I really like the smell of ambergris. What fragrance would you recommend?

The most prominent notes are surely going to last longest.

Basenotes Member

That the most prominent notes last longest I get. I was under the impression that the above mentioned three fragrances had different base notes but still seemed to smell very similar. Thanks to Randall Flag, I now realise that they have ambergris in common and that is obviously the note that I'm picking up on.
    Let me ask you the same question that I asked Randall Flagg, now that I have recognised my liking of ambergris, what fragrance wouyld you recommend me?

Doubt very much about the ambergris. I would go for whatever musk they use.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    Doubt very much about the ambergris. I would go for whatever musk they use.
    Yes sir.

Do a search for ambergis here on Basenotes to get loads of info on it and how it is used in perfumery.

I would agree with Prince Barry that ambergris, in and of itself, is not something you want to smell like. Think of it as a musk. I like the way it enhances a fragrance, but the ambergris dry down is not one of my favorites. To my nose, it is rather soft, sharp, bitter and powdery.

Here's something on ambergris I ran across that I think describes what it does pretty well....

"The truth is that Ambergris is a very soft and elusive fragrance; unlike any other scent. It is at times fleeting and hard to grasp and is best experienced on the skin or secondly on a perfume blotter and can never be rightly experienced by smelling it from the bottle. Some people find it unpleasant, while others find it addictive. When added to any other fragrance; its own scent disappears while amplifying the scent of the other. It exalts any perfume to which it is added and makes everything it touches bigger and more sensual than it can possibly ever be on its own. Ambergris is magical and unlike any other material. It is hard to find a fragrance type which is not markedly improved by its inclusion."
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...ns-L-deCerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerutti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Whatever note that is used, it distinguishes it from other houses.

Basenotes Member

Do you know what I feel like? You know when you go to foreign country and you want to impress the locals by learning a few words. You then get embarrassed when the local begins to converse with you at a speed that you can't understand a word they are saying.... well that's exactly how I feel at the moment. Rome wasn't built in a day I suppose.

From up North? Nay lad, don't be gettin yersen all flumoxed.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Basenotes Member

@PrincBarry. Brigus, to be exact.
    Thanks for the info RedRaider430, it makes more sense now.
    But, I still would like to know what the common denominator is between Aventus, Git and Tabarome. This is of course assuming that my nose isn't playing games with me. The testing cards are now two weeks old and smell identical, why? What is the predominant smell?
    PrinceBarry is right that here is no point concerning myself too much with this, in fact, it's only because I have too much time on my hands that I bother. The consensus on this forum is, try it, and if you like it, buy it and I couldn't agree more.
    One thing that I have learnt so far is that even experts can't agree on the make up of fragrances; I've been on many different sites since I started this interesting journey and nobody is in total agreement with the composition of certain fragrances, especially Creed.

Ambergris is basically whale spew. Olivier Creed stated recently that you have to very careful with ambergris as sometimes these great floating islands of vomit will drift through oil slicks, etc and ruin the stock. Hmmmm.

In my opinion, the Creed house signature is an amberish/ambergris-ish base (combination of ambroxan, resins, woods, and musks), and this does come through in GIT, MI, Himalaya etc., and a little less in Aventus. I don't think it is ambergris in the traditional sense of the material, but the ambroxan is the synthetic that mimics ambergris.

If you like this Creed signature, then explore all the Creeds (even the feminines), but some Creed scents have less of it.