Code of Conduct

Default Le 3e Homme de Caron

Hi all, my first post!

Would I be right in thinking that Le 3e Homme was reformulated? The reason I ask is because I bought a bottle from (what appears to be) a reputable seller on eBay just last week and it smells quite a bit different from what I know of it.

I would say that it is definitely not a fake as bottle and box are all good in addition to which I don't think it's a fragrance that counterfeiters would profit much from. I confess that my other experiences with it have come from decant samples (on two separate occasions) acquired from First In Fragrance, so I've not seen the original bottle they come from.

From memory it was quite heavy with a harsh lavender which lasted pretty much right through it's development. It used to last a good 7 - 8 hours. It was definitely strong and had a decent sillage. Now it seems to have lost it's mojo ... the beginning is pretty much the same, but it kind of fizzles out and sits very close to the skin after about 3 hours. It is no longer a silage-monster!

Would it maybe an old bottle? My memory of it suggests that it's the kind of fragrance that wouldn't weaken over time, but more likely intensify as the core accords I remember were too apparent.

Has it been reformulated and if so when? If so would my thoughts on it's doctoring be correct - mojo-removal!

I don't want to tackle the seller if it's nothing to do with their product as they seem to have a good reputation with 20000+ feedback.

Thanks for any illumination.

Default Re: Le 3e Homme de Caron

Welcome!

There has been some talk about reformulation. Perfume critics Turin and Sanchez say so in their latest book. According to their nose, it's not so much about power, but about the fact that it is now less floral than it was, and more with a woody-licorice aspect (which could be lavender). I have bought some old stuff online, and I have a 2-3 year old bottle (which could be older), and don't notice that much difference, but of course the latest batches could be different. I must say I don't get much of a harsh lavender in either version. To me, it's a slightly sweet, citrusy top, some aromatics and flowers, and then an intense barbershop musk in the drydown. Now you've made me want to try the latest version...

In any case, as you say, 3eme doesn't sound like a frag that is faked. In the past, there used to be an aftershave as well, which of course is much weaker than the edt, but at the moment, there's only the edp. You should also correct for the amount of frag you're using; different atomizers can deliver more or less liquid.

cacio

Have no idea if it has changed, but my opinion of it certainly has not - it's a wonderful fragrance.

Must have been a great fragrance before the reformulation. I had a chance to briefly smell a vintage bottle at a pharmacy in mexico a few months ago. It smelled richer to me than the bottle I purchased 2 years ago.

IMO none of the Caron's have survived.

Basenotes Plus

Not sure if Caron is reformulating their bottles (or have just recently).

I do know that the recent formulation bottle I have of Le 3eme Homme is excellent - but, Vintage juice is simply wonderful. I also am very lucky to have a nearly full 100ml Splash After Shave of the Vintage (a nice deep green-colored juice).

I am going to look into this more, but I personally believe that the recent formulations of Caron's classics (Caron Pour Un Homme, Le 3eme Homme, Yatagan, and I'll even mention L'Anarchiste) are all excellent. All are extremely wearable and of great quality.

Ironically, I enjoy Le 3eme Homme the most in current formulation out of all of these (with CPuH very closely behind!). I'm not even sure if L'Anarchiste has been reformulated. It was mentioned here on BN that "The Guide" from Turin/Sanchez indicated such. But, that's another thread...

Bottom line - Caron juice in Vintage is better, like all houses...they have to adhere to IFRA regulations. However, being totally honest, they are one of the few houses that keeps their reformulations as close to the Original as possible and quality is still excellent for the price. I am, forever, in love with Caron's offerings!

Cheers,

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    IMO none of the Caron's have survived.
    Not even Caron Pour Homme? Pretty hard to screw that one up.

Thank you for the welcome.

This is all most mysterious! What you all have said and what I have read here review-wise does sound very much like the bottle I have bought. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word harsh for the lavender, thinking on it I really meant dry or arid - I'm new to trying to describe my impressions of fragrance.

The seller I would say is good as I noted positive feedback for this Caron from previous buyers, so I can only think that my problem stems from the samples I got from First In Fragrance. If they where not from a good bottle then they have skewed my view. Although the company has been excellent in the past - maybe they have a bottle that's been heat-damaged or something.

The memory I have of it (and this is just last month) is that it was not what I would call floral but quite ashy and desiccated. I did email Caron to try and find out how old the batch was, but since I mentioned lavender the person who answered thought that I probably got it mixed up with Caron Pour Homme. Definitely not as CPH is to me a soft lavender/vanilla (no!) which couldn't be easily confused with Le 3e Homme.

I think I will have to try and re-condition my memory - again!

3rd man has been reformulated, for sure!
    The vintage juice is strong,strong,strong....
    The reformulation is a lot milder and very suitable to wear to the Office.
    There are still some vintage bottles for sale on Ebay. Pricey though...
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Basenotes Plus

Thank you Snaggy -

Yes, no doubt it was reformulated since the Vintage bottling. However, the current juice is still excellent and actually rather close to Vintage. We must focus on what is being discussed here - not that it was reformulated once, but that current bottles are different from the initial reformulation. I have seen no difference in packaging or anything to show me that has happened. We all know Vintage bottles of Le 3eme Homme and Caron Pour Un Homme, what they look like, etc. compared to what is being sold today...

However, the lingering question is...has there been another RECENT reformulation???

This is the issue.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Snaggy1 View Post
    3rd man has been reformulated, for sure!
    The vintage juice is strong,strong,strong....
    The reformulation is a lot milder and very suitable to wear to the Office.
    There are still some vintage bottles for sale on Ebay. Pricey though...
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

i haven't notice that this lovely juice has been reformulated (hopefully not)

i love this, a masterpiece!
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    Not even Caron Pour Homme? Pretty hard to screw that one up.
    That was my signature scent for almost 16 years. The reformulation smells identical on top but the base is very weak. The musky base used to project for days on me...very short lived with the current.

With L'Impact (the extrait) I got an even heavier top and a little more musk in the dry down but even then it was still mainly top notes IMO.

I used to fill a room with Pour Un Homme that I applied a few hours earlier. Trying doing that with your $30 bottle

Howdy all,

I've been interested in this fragrance for a while. Apologies for the following possibly stupid questions.

when posters refer to the new or current formulation, I assume they mean something like :
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LE-3RD-HOMME...item4169ac3ca6

and when they refer to the original or vintage formulation, I assume they mean something like :
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OLD-FORMU...item2577874efa

is this right ?

Thanks
    Last edited by Paul P; 12th March 2013 at 01:55 AM. Reason: corrected 2nd link

Basenotes Plus

Hi Paul -

Good day! Speaking on my behalf - yes, those are the bottlings for the two formulations of Le 3eme (Troisieme) Homme/The Third Man from Caron. I have and know both.

What is being discussed here (at least my perspective)...is whether or not there has been an EVEN MORE recent reformulation.

If someone knows, please clarify. This current formulation (as shown) has been around for several years - it is not recent.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    Howdy all,

I've been interested in this fragrance for a while. Apologies for the following possibly stupid questions.

when posters refer to the new or current formulation, I assume they mean something like :

and when they refer to the original or vintage formulation, I assume they mean something like :
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OLD-FORMU...item2577874efa

is this right ?

Thanks

I interpret this as Ericrico. I also own both bottles (and there were likely other types of bottles as well in the past), I like both, and don't find such a great difference. But often perfume houses reformulate without changing bottle and packaging, and the discussion about the weakness I think refers to the latest batch of the modern bottle.

(Incidentally, Turin Sanchez review of anarchiste was from 07 and talks about reformulation relative to what he remembered from the past, ie likely the original one. Instead, the review of troisieme changed between 07 and 11, though it is well possible that the 07 was also from memory rather than from an actual bottle of that vintage - it's always hard to know for sure).

cacio

The new version I tried a couple years ago is quite strong, stronger than the vintage I have, and is only suitable to cold weather (and that's with just one spray). To me these are different scents, though there may have been a loss of top notes in the vintage. Here is my comparison as of about year and a half ago:

"I did a side by side comparison. The original/vintage has an animalic quality lacking in the new one (I'd guess civet/"dirty" jasmine and/or rock rose) and it is considerably softer, almost syrupy. Both are sweet but the new one is sweeter, and it's harsher/sharper as well, though that may be due loss of top notes in the vintage bottle. Vintage has better balance and is not as strong; it's also got more quality amber in the base, perhaps aided by some oakmoss (preventing it from becoming too sweet and syrupy)."

Before I did that comparison, I had written:

"I now have some of the vintage formulation and it is quite different, and close to vintage Emeraude PdT, actually. It's not as strong, though more animlaic, and has better note separation. It also seems to have more notes. The new one is similar to others that have been reformulated; they are stronger but with cheaper or less base notes, and they tend to be sweeter. Perhaps skin chemistry is an important factor with these kinds of really strong ones. Anyway, neither of these is a fougere, so keep that in mind. I've got plenty of them and this is nothing like them. The new Third Man might be best described as a fresh oriental but the herbal aspect doesn't really fit, so I'd call it a hybrid. The original Third Man might be best described as a citrus/floral oriental, considering the obvious ambery quality."

I think one could own both versions that I have and simply think of them as different scents, suitable for different kinds of situations.

Basenotes Plus

Interesting input, cacio & Bigsly -

Not sure what to say. Is there a place to even look up batch dates from Caron? Nothing on checkcosmetic.net - I will need to go with my nose and trust it.

You would think if there was a major reformulation that Caron would change the packaging at least to some degree...which is common practice. I am going to look into this more.

A final point - as much as I love Caron Pour Un Homme, I have to say to "thatmakesscents" that it has never been a strong scent on me. And, yes, I have Vintage Caron Pour Un Homme. I even have earlier bottlings (in perfect condition) of Vintage Les Plus Belles Lavandes (CPuH) - which are simply divine. Bigsly can speak to this very articulately. But, that may be the best juice I've ever tried from the house of Caron. It is a richer, more herbal and wonderfully integrated composition that Caron Pour Un Homme was 'scaled down' to...and it's 3-note harmony of Lavender (soliflore), Musk and Vanilla. There are some different notes in both Les Plus Belles Lavandes as well as Vintage CPuH, while current has more vanilla in the base.

Please DO NOT confuse the current Eau de Cologne from Caron called, "Les Plus Belles Lavandes" with the rare Vintage bottling I am speaking of. More info here - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...-Pour-un-Homme

Back to Le Troisieme Homme, I am very curious to hear more from people on whether or not there has been a reformulation who truly know...

Cheers.

ericrico

Gentlemen,

many thanks to all of you who have responded. Well, we're all in the dark at the moment. Let's hope someone can shed some light on this.

Boys, this scent is amazing! I love its transitions through the day. Is is very rich and well done. The lavander does not lasts, but the fruity-floral heart is lovely. Also the heavy mossy dry-down, gives the scent a comfort ending. Can´t live without and for me it is a perfect scent.

The two bottles of Third Man I had looked nothing alike, so they certainly weren't trying to fool anyone with packaging. The name, of course, is the same. The new one I had was by no means bad, and in fact had its place but it was quite different from the old one. In fact, I would say they "modernized" it much better than other reformulations. I just wish they could call it something like Third Man Modern, so that everyone would know it was not the same scent, even if just in terms of ingredient quality (which to me is largely the case with CPuH).

I just purchased a new bottle. Reformulated or not, it is a beautiful scent. One of my favorites. I'm looking forward to testing pour un Homme.

I have a bottle from a couple of years ago and it smells right to me. I have been buying on and off for a long while. It still retains that lush drydown.

Basenotes Plus

Thank you, Kaern and many others -

Without jumping to a quick conclusion...I have to go back to the Original Poster (Munstead) - a new member who perhaps remembers Vintage Le Troisieme Homme and has the reformulation. Please confirm, Munstead. Did you have the olive green bottle and then buy the latest - please refer to Paul P's post with links to pictures of the bottles.

I look on the bottom of my box last night of the reformulation and my dear 'friend', Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss) extract is a listed ingredient. My only concern is that it has now been taken out of Le Troisieme Homme due to IFRA regulation (and that would change the scent). So, anyone (including the OP, Munstead)...please look at the bottom of your box and confirm what you have. If anyone can find a box that does not list it, then we may have found exactly what is possibly our biggest concern.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I have a bottle from a couple of years ago and it smells right to me. I have been buying on and off for a long while. It still retains that lush drydown.

Thank you all for such enlightening information.

I never had the original bottle, as I stated, I had some decants from First In Fragrance Germany so I can't even be 100% sure that it was Le 3e Homme - I can just trust that they are reputable which I think they are due to previous dealings with them. I can say that what I did smell and what I have now are definitely the same fragrance, it's just that my new bottle is much less pronounced. So I can only assume that they had an old, old bottle ... or dare I say (as I have read such views) it was a tester bottle which may have been stronger!

Ericrico, I have checked the box and Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss) extract is listed - so, so far it has not been removed. Maybe it's down to my skin consuming the new formulation, I may enquire what bottle the samples were decanted from.

Anyway, I will give the seller positive feedback as it's obviously a good bottle.

Basenotes Plus

Hi Munstead -

Thank you. A sigh of momentary relief. Yes, welcome to a microcosm in the universe here on Basenotes where people care about the ingredients listed on a box for a bottle of fragrance. Along comes a new member and we start doing back-flips that something could be amiss with a treasured scent. But, for those of us who are deep into this passion...it is a part of knowing when producers of our beloved bottles reformulate and change what was expected to be there. It has been happening, unknowingly to the masses - but here, we take notice and care. Vintage formulations are 'endangered species' that are certain for extinction. IFRA has banned ingredients - so, that leaves us with our precious and very well-cared for bottles to be with us for (hopefully) another 30-50 years. And, that is only because we (as aficionados) go to great lengths to store them properly and with great care. Like Vintage wine - it will one day, turn - and what is highly sought-after and wonderful now will be "vinegar" later. I am 40 years old and have been in this passion for over half my life, but only joined Basenotes in November of 2011. Why? Because of the shocking changes that were occurring to all the bottles that I 'knew' for years and also to join a community of intelligent, articulate, like-minded people who share the passion of olfactory art in fragrance. Welcome.

I feel rather confident after your post that, so far, there has only been two formulations of Le Troisieme Homme - Vintage and Current formulations (as per Paul P's pictures). Knowing and having both, they are different to a trained nose (Bigsly points out some interesting differences that I find as well)...but both are very well-made, actually exceptional!

An excerpt of my review for the current formulation, so I can share my perspective with you:

"Personally, I don't get anything cloying or unnaturally sweet. The top citrus blends seamlessly into the heart of gorgeous, "spiced" florals - a spring bouquet that consists of a smooth and full lavender and jasmine mixed with a great coriander accord and clove blended in (which could be where some reviewers are getting the slightly burnt/smoky note - I don't see it as a negative, but actually a great accord with the ingredients in this composition blending together). This segues beautifully into a touch of amber warming the base, which is a combination of nice vetiver and an elegant green moss (oakmoss) that is fragrant. The florals linger wonderfully and that is what makes this composition work so well...the longevity of the heart.

No candied lemons on top for me (the citrus is fresh and crisp) and while it is a touch powdery in the heart (an accord that comes from the great jasmine in here) - there is nothing wrong with that feel in a fresh masculine floral with good spice. I actually find great strength and the softness of the florals are able to express themselves uniquely - amazing! Overall, it is actually a potent, vetiver and moss base with the wonderful clove that really drives this from the end of the heart through the base (again, mentioning that the florals stay for a long time here). Apply a bit more, I find, and the notes integrate better (a layered wearing) and you can "refresh" the bouquet on the base, as longevity overall is exceptional!"

All the best - cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Munstead View Post
    Thank you all for such enlightening information.

I never had the original bottle, as I stated, I had some decants from First In Fragrance Germany so I can't even be 100% sure that it was Le 3e Homme - I can just trust that they are reputable which I think they are due to previous dealings with them. I can say that what I did smell and what I have now are definitely the same fragrance, it's just that my new bottle is much less pronounced. So I can only assume that they had an old, old bottle ... or dare I say (as I have read such views) it was a tester bottle which may have been stronger!

Ericrico, I have checked the box and Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss) extract is listed - so, so far it has not been removed. Maybe it's down to my skin consuming the new formulation, I may enquire what bottle the samples were decanted from.

Anyway, I will give the seller positive feedback as it's obviously a good bottle.
    Last edited by ericrico; 13th March 2013 at 08:22 AM.

I sprinted home from work to check the list of ingredients on my box. Oakmoss extract is listed as the last ingredient.

Quote Originally Posted by SweeneyTodd View Post
    I sprinted home from work to check the list of ingredients on my box. Oakmoss extract is listed as the last ingredient.
    Thanks for that - if you go back to my post above (post #12), can you tell us which of the two you have ?

Blog Entries

I don't mean to add to the confusion here, but I have a 1 oz (28ml) bottle that I bought from a local fragrance shop here; it doesn't look like any of the pics in post #12:

I looked at the bottom of the box and Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss) is not listed. As a matter of fact, only three items are listed on the left side: alcohol, water, fragrance.

I think that is just the 1 ounce packaging and that it is consistent with the vintage in post #12. I have the vintage you see in post #12 (100 ml size).

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    Thanks for that - if you go back to my post above (post #12), can you tell us which of the two you have ?
    This is the bottle I have, so it must be the new formulation:

Basenotes Plus

Correct, Bigsly.

I have this bottle. It is the 1oz bottling of Vintage Caron Le 3eme Homme...enjoy it!

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I think that is just the 1 ounce packaging and that it is consistent with the vintage in post #12. I have the vintage you see in post #12 (100 ml size).
    - - - Updated - - -

Yes, correct -

The reformulation...with Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss) Extract listed as the last ingredient.

Wonderful stuff - you may want to try Vintage as there are differences, but this is fantastic unto itself and a wonderful reformulation by Caron!

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by SweeneyTodd View Post
    This is the bottle I have, so it must be the new formulation: