Code of Conduct

Default Tried Aventus and not that impressed

My sample of Aventus came in fragrancenet and I wore it today. I gotta say, I'm not that impressed and would definitely not pay the price for it.

I expected more pineapple, and a sweeter fragrance but I could barely make out the pineapple in the open, and its a very smoky scent. Not really sure what to say about projection since I'm not usually good as smelling scents on myself

Overall, I can't say I was blown away or had the urge to keep smelling my arm throughout the day. Its nice, but no "WOW that is an awesome smell".

So far the fragrances that I did get the WOW response to are A*Men, La Nuit, and D&G The One. The impression I get from those 3 are much better than how I'm feeling with Aventus.

Testing Creed MI tomorrow, we'll see what happens.

Edit: Its about 9 hour since I put it on this morning and I actually get a little aquatic, citrisy feeling to it. Mid afternoon was a lot more smoky. The initial faint pineapple scent is totally gone now. may also be a nosefatigue thing. That happens with a lot of fragrances for me actually.

I think if this was an above-average designer fragrance price, I would consider buying it, but I can't justify spending the niche price just because it lacks the wow factor for me.

Edit: since there are a gazillion threads on this, I thought I add a little more of my thoughts other than "I expected more out of aventus". This is a reply of mine later in the thread for anyone interested:

well, really the issue is pricing.

Unlike things like clothes, I'm paying for quality, not just the brand name. Often it is the case that I think a $200 pair of shoes is indeed worth that much because it has qualities that a $100 pair doesn't

but with fragrances, its hard for me to justify the purchase because for there are many fragrances for 1/3 of the price that 1) other people like better, and 2) I like better.

I gave Aventus 4 stars, and it may even be one of the higher 4 stars fragrances but the value is still not there, and I'm certainly not enough of a collector or have the resources to buy this.

and thats probably the reason for all the threads about it. though, I think one can have this thread about any fragrance over $200 because really, are there nothing out there in the designers under $200 that is as good, if not better than those niche fragrances over $200? I find that hard to believe.

to be even more honest, if I ever have the resources, and the interest, I may purchase a bottle of niche, knowing its a horrible buy that is probably driven by marketing, hype, and law of supply and demand but I'll be fine with it because it makes me feel pretty inside.
    Last edited by mtheory8; 12th March 2013 at 11:28 AM.

Default Re: Tried Aventus and not that impressed

you have to try it more than once to get the full experience, if your skin doesnt do it justice then try it on your clothes (it works 20x better on my clothing)

MI is great, but longevity isn't the best. Too bad you didn't like Aventus as much as you were expecting. I personally like the scent quite a bit, the smoke and pineapple are well balanced for me

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by mtheory8 View Post
    My sample of Aventus came in fragrancenet and I wore it today. I gotta say, I'm not that impressed and would definitely not pay the price for it.

I expected more pineapple, and a sweeter fragrance but I could barely make out the pineapple in the open, and its a very smoky scent. ... Overall, I can't say I was blown away or had the urge to keep smelling my arm throughout the day. Its nice, but no "WOW that is an awesome smell".
    Testing Creed MI tomorrow, we'll see what happens.
    Not a fan here either and I too find it much more smoky focused than pineapple (though I did like the pineapple I *did* smell).

My guess is MI will be much more your speed.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Fragrance is subjective. You might hate the most loved fragrance there is, and love something that everyone else finds garbage. Just keep an open mind and don't stop sampling. You'll find what your looking for

IMO the hype for Aventus has gotten so out of control that people will almost always be disappointed when they smell it for the first time. Try it again, maybe it will grow on you. I personally think it smells 100x better than La Nuit and D&G The One.

Sounds like you got a smokey batch. I feel the pineapple batches does Aventus a better justice.

But girls like smoky batches

Basenotes Plus

You have to find the perfect batch from the perfect store on the perfect day at the perfect hour in order for it to be its absolutely, mind-blowingly amazing self. Right after you do this and spray it onto yourself, the planets will align, the Earth's magnetic poles will revert, and a total solar eclipse will occur and dinosaurs will reconquer the universe.

I like the dry down. The opening got on my nerves a bit.

Try it Again!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Opinions will vary widely on this. Personally love the stuff.

Aventus is not impressed with your skin.

Shun the unbeliever. Shunnnnn...

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    LOL
    Touche

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    That, too. You have to get on Aventus' good side. Altar offerings and things of the such.

All these threads are so absurd... I seriously think it's an operation finalized to obtain more hype than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrè Moreau View Post
    All these threads are so absurd... I seriously think it's an operation finalized to obtain more hype than ever.
    well... we are talking about juices that smell.

based on your criteria, there wouldn't be any threads left on this forum that isn't "absurd".

Basenotes Plus

So far the fragrances that I did get the WOW response to are A*Men, La Nuit, and D&G The One. The impression I get from those 3 are much better than how I'm feeling with Aventus.
    I find these fragrances just meh at best. Goes to show you that what one person may like, the next one may not.

This morning I put a sample of Aventus on the back of one hand and a sample of Chez bond on the other. I seem to be more interested in Chez bond .

Basenotes Plus

well... we are talking about juices that smell.

based on your criteria, there wouldn't be any threads left on this forum that isn't "absurd".
    I wouldn't take any offense. The point he may be trying to make, there are hundreds of threads just like yours on Aventus, and sometimes people get frustrated when the search function is not used and instead of starting a new thread, adding to one of the 100's of existing threads on this same topic.

Aventus doesn't live up to the hype, but then again, the hype is ridiculous. To me, Aventus is just a very nice very safe scent. It isn't one of my favorites and I own many scents that get me more compliments (not to mention more enthusiastic compliments) buuuuuuuuuuut, that being said, I enjoy it and don't regret purchasing it.

Here's my advice: You bought a sample but it does nothing for you, right? Put it away and revisit it when temps rise to around 70 F / 20 C, more or less. Save your sample for some nice sunny spring days. I'm always disappointed by Aventus on a cool day or especially a cold day. With warmer weather, you may enjoy it more. Or, then again, you might not. Either way, no worries.

As you know, the nose to trust is your own.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Oh oh OP!
    You are talking about the Basenote's darling cologne!
    I like it but it has not done anything for me......NO compliments zero nada! But get this....I did get compliments from my Zara Gold which is a $12.00 pineaple like cologne

Quote Originally Posted by Andrè Moreau View Post
    Agreed. Whatever happened to the search function? Surely there must be plenty of threads about trying Juventus or what it's called.

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    You have to find the perfect batch from the perfect store on the perfect day at the perfect hour in order for it to be its absolutely, mind-blowingly amazing self. Right after you do this and spray it onto yourself, the planets will align, the Earth's magnetic poles will revert, and a total solar eclipse will occur and dinosaurs will reconquer the universe.
    He speaketh wisely.

TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

but lets be honest though, how many threads on the first page are completely original and never been discussed? after all, we are here because we like to give our SUBJECTIVE, OPINIONS about little bottles of juice that smell.

I bought some from John Lewis and was not impressed, neither was anyone I know. Pencil shavings.

I got a split from Kron on the splits board and I love it, and its been complimented numerous times.

I put it down to batch variances, of which I am no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by sunny5011 View Post
    you have to try it more than once to get the full experience, if your skin doesnt do it justice then try it on your clothes (it works 20x better on my clothing)
    How about he just isn't feeling it? Lol. Going to extreme lengths to make your nose like a scent is just funny.
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

I have a decant from a z01 batch.

its the bomb

- - - Updated - - -

Not something I could wear everyday though. Got 50ml for 80$ from a crystal flacon member. money well spent

Thanks for your take, OP.

I like Aventus. For the 5-10 seconds I can smell it. Then I become anosmic to it, even though others around me can detect it hours later. Olfactory fatigue is harsh with this one for me, but unlike other fragrances that I become nasally numb to and still get wafts of throughout the day, I can't smell Aventus at all after the 5-10 seconds following application. If I could enjoy it and often detect it on my skin, I would likely buy a bottle, but I like to smell my fragrances on myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm View Post
    I have a decant from a z01 batch.

its the bomb

- - - Updated - - -

Not something I could wear everyday though. Got 50ml for 80$ from a crystal flacon member. money well spent

It may be a batch thing as well. I think I would enjoy it a lot more if there was a more fruity, sweet pineapple note.

I smelled my animale animale and the pineapple mixed with the tobacco is just wonderful. The smokiness of my sample is a little too unbalanced I think. I don't hate it, I like it but not for the price. And I definitely like several designers much better. But I guess thats expected anyhow.

mine starts off smelling like the taste of fresh cut cold pineapple and than settles after 1-2 hours to a deep smell that I dont have an olfactory description for. Reminds me of the color of a plum, a dark deep sensual purple kinda smell. I don't get too much smoke, but than again I smoke maybe 1-3 cigarettes a day (quitting) so maybe I just don't notice. Its the first fragrance I've become addicted to smelling

I find it hard to sniff something once and call it a dud, just my two cents.

It was worth it to me, very unique scent.
    Rotation

CREED Aventus
    Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
    DIOR Homme Intense
    Guerlain L'IDGExtreme
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Jean-Paul Gaultier Le Male
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pav View Post
    But girls like smoky batches
    you mean grandmas?

i cant imagine a hot young girl would compliment someone for smelling like her grandpa lol.

I didn't like it either, much preferred GIT.

But both not worth the money IMHPO

Banned
    Blog Entries

with me, at first wearing i didnt like aventus. it was too strong, too smoky, too rich, and just wierd. but then by my 3rd wearing i was in love it. its such an amazing fragrance. i'd marry it if i could.

I got the so called pineapple heavy batch and my first reaction is exactly the same as yours. But give it a few more wearings and it might grow on you just like it did with me. Its not my favourite, but its become my signature scent because I think it fits my personality and dressing the best.

I still don't get sweet pineapple today but I don't care so much nowadays. To most of my friends who enjoy the stuff I wear, its either its good or its not

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Opinions will vary widely on this.
    Hilarious.

A gazillion threads and a 37 page and counting epic on which batch is 'the right one' . . . yup, that would be my guess too.

It's okay - I bought it for the hell of it when it turned up on the shelves here but only wore it a couple of times.

I feel bad jumping in on the Aventus beatdown, but I don't 'get it' either. I blind bought because of the hype when I found it for a good price from a reputable shop. Every time I see it on my shelf or give it a try I just think damn, that was a mistake.

I recently got a sample of Heely's "Oranges and Lemons say the Bells of St Clement's". To me it smells very similar. The difference for me, I get a lot more of the oranges and lemons in it than I do with the apples and pineapple in Aventus. And the base underneath is practically the same to my nose, mostly the woods/vetiver. They both have that 'traditional old school citrus cologne' smell. I get about the same longevity on my skin with each (around 6-8 hours), and the projection seems around the same, too.

Wish I had tested both a few times, I would have gone with the cheaper and IMO better O&L.

well, really the issue is pricing.

Unlike things like clothes, I'm paying for quality, not just the brand name. Often it is the case that I think a $200 pair of shoes is indeed worth that much because it has qualities that a $100 pair doesn't

but with fragrances, its hard for me to justify the purchase because for there are many fragrances for 1/3 of the price that 1) other people like better, and 2) I like better.

I gave Aventus 4 stars, and it may even be one of the higher 4 stars fragrances but the value is still not there, and I'm certainly not enough of a collector or have the resources to buy this.

and thats probably the reason for all the threads about it. though, I think one can have this thread about any fragrance over $200 because really, are there nothing out there in the designers under $200 that is as good, if not better than those niche fragrances over $200? I find that hard to believe.

to be even more honest, if I ever have the resources, and the interest, I may purchase a bottle of niche, knowing its a horrible buy that is probably driven by marketing, and hype, but I'll be fine with it because it makes me feel pretty inside.

Aventus is a pretty amazing fragrance to me. It will always be a part of my collection after my 50mL runs out I will definitely be purchasing a full bottle. And probably at retail, so I can attain the same batch.

Like most Creeds, not much of a fragrance, but makes a decent shampoo or air freshener.
    Last edited by pluran; 12th March 2013 at 12:19 PM.

I've tried quite a number of fabulous expensive things that "everyone else" thinks are the bomb and they've been outright disgusting on my skin. Not Aventus, though, not yet. Maybe I should start my own thread. "CompassRose is not impressed." Then everyone could sneer at my lack of discernment.

Price, name, hype, mean nothing in fragrance. The only important things are whether it works with one's chemistry and taste, whether it costs fifteen dollars or five hundred.

Women love it when they smell it... not as a perfume, but as a scent cloud in a room, like an air freshener. Who would want to be a human-air freshener?
    Last edited by NewHaarlem; 12th March 2013 at 02:57 PM.

That, too. You have to get on Aventus' good side. Altar offerings and things of the such.
    I find from personal experience that holding a broad sword helps.
    Signature Rotation: A* Men, Pure Havane, Dunhill Pursuit, Varvatos Artisian, Guerlain Vetiver

Basenotes Plus

mtheory8, did you say the right words when you applied? You have to get the words right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dernier_Cri View Post
    mtheory8, did you say the right words when you applied? You have to get the words right.
    I did it with an accent maybe thats what offended the Creed gods.

I'll wear my ceremonial robe next time and see what happens, I'll come back with another impression.

Basenotes Plus

I'll come back with another impression.
    Try Nicolas Cage or Jerry Lewis.

Lmao!!

I've seen so many people praising the Aventus that I think when the day comes that I have the opportunity to try it, I probably won't be much impressed either.

It's actually ok to not like Aventus...

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    with me, at first wearing i didnt like aventus. it was too strong, too smoky, too rich, and just wierd. but then by my 3rd wearing i was in love it. its such an amazing fragrance. i'd marry it if i could.
    To paraphrase the old bon mot about beer, you can rent Aventus, you can't own Aventus.

PS What would your babies smell like?

As I have gained more experience with this I can conclusively say it has 12+ hours of longevity (as opposed to the less than an hour I was claiming beforehand) and has great projection and room filling power (though after 10 hours very close skin apparently on me)...Only one main beef: I myself can't enjoy it that much, since it's fleeting to my nose...big time.

I have a smoky batch but I loooooove it! The longevity is out of this world. I took a plane trip home last June and i brought my 2.5 oz bottle of Aventus with me. On the flight back some of the juice leaked out of the bottle into my shaving bag (I have no idea how) and I can still smell it everytime I open my bag! I didn't get the wow factor with La Nuit, but I must admit I absolutely did with D&G the one when it was first released as well as L'Homme.
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    Price, name, hype, mean nothing in fragrance. The only important things are whether it works with one's chemistry and taste, whether it costs fifteen dollars or five hundred.
    I wish more people understood that. It amazes me how important it is for some people to be part of a hype, as if being a "me too" for the opinions of others is more important than having their own opinions.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Nicolas cage in a cage ?