Code of Conduct

Default Article: A new way of measuring fragrance potency? An Interview with Aaron Benjamin of the FPIndex P

Default Re: Article: A new way of measuring fragrance potency? An Interview with Aaron Benjamin of the FPInd

I love the creativity behind this idea, but it seems arbitrary in its usefulness. Aaron himself said:

"I noticed that people's individual impressions typically varied substantially, making it difficult to get an idea of just how potent a fragrance was."

If this is the case (which I think we will all agree it is), then of what use is a scientific measurement of the fragrance's projection? If it varies from person to person, does it matter what a sniffing machine says?

This isn't equivalent to the Scoville Heat Scale where subjective sensations are objectively assigned a value. This is nice, but not really scientific

No description of what the "odour detector" is, or how it works. To be really scientific you need a room with a controlled temperature, humidity and air pressure. No mention of how it is confirmed that "the air is clean" either. Nice idea, but not really scientific.

While not completely controlled for all variables, it is a neat idea. I won't waste my money on something with a longevity of less than 4 or 5 hrs...

Well he's not trying to launch bottles into space, just getting a fairly realistic idea about projection in a more real world environment. I think it's great! Kinda sour grapes for all the Aventus haters haha.

Blog Entries

Great Idea! Thanks

This is a great idea - there's no way an experiment like this can take into account every known variable; heat, humidity etc. but this has to be a useful way of scientifically measuring fragrances for the benefit of the consumer. I'd love to see the classic powerhouses - Lapidus Pour Homme, Kouros, Giorgio Beverly Hills et al given this treatment.....It'd quickly be bye bye to Aventus's record...!

Default Re: Article: A new way of measuring fragrance potency? An Interview with Aaron Benjamin of the FPInd

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes65 View Post
    While not completely controlled for all variables, it is a neat idea. I won't waste my money on something with a longevity of less than 4 or 5 hrs...
    Same as the above...

Hi guys!

I appreciate all the comments and criticism. I thought I would quickly address some comments just to provide a bit more clarity as to what I'm trying to achieve.

Fragrancebros: I shot you a message with a longer explanation, but I strongly feel empirical testing to determine the baseline potency of a fragrance should not be precluded just because one person perceives a fragrances as being more potent than another.

Helo: I apologize if my use of the word "scientific" appears misplaced. I do not hold myself out to be a real scientist (hence the silly moniker), but I do try to emphasize that there is a scientific aspect to the testing that I do, in that I am trying to obtain empirical data through a standardized testing method.

David Ruskin: Please see my above comment.
    With regards to the odor detector information, I shall be posting more about my equipment in the near future on my site. Also, when I say "clean air", I mean that I use multiple air purification devices to eliminate any lingering odors, and only do testing when my odor detector reads "0" (essentially stating that there are no detectable odors to the human nose).

Diogenese: Glad you like it! I wish I could properly test longevity; however, I wouldn't be surprised if higher FPi fragrances have better longevity than low FPi ones. I will try to do some subjective testing to confirm this conjecture in the future.

Paradigm: I shot you a PM, but I just wanted to thank you for your support!

Francop: Thank you!

Derbyman: I appreciate you being lenient with regards to my idea. You're absolutely right in that it's near impossible to control every single possible variable out there for testing. In the future I do hope to conduct tests in a lab where I can attempt to control heat, humidity, and other variables, but for now I am doing the best with what I have.

I would love to get some powerhouses on the Index as well. Hopefully I will be able to obtain some in the near future.

Stay fragrant, friends!

Aaron Benjamin

You don't have to control every variable. Just run multiple trials so that the signal to noise ratio is high, look at the distribution of distances to make sure error variance is normally distributed around zero, if it is, then you can have high confidence in your results. (Bonus points if you do the statistical analyses as well)

It performs better on fabric, but the people around me, including me, smell perfumes all the time and can barely smell Aventus after two hours unless they are up close within a few inches of me. The test is apparently BS. I'm beginning to think this site is a propaganda machine for Creed.

Novel idea. Thanks for the link.

Inscents: I do plan on doing a revamp soon using manufacturer-produced fragrances, and I will be sure to do repeat testing this time around to ensure there are no discrepancies. Thanks for the advice

Pluran: I wish Creed would fund my site! I can't even get in touch with them, so a giant conspiracy is not really possible at this point. If you would like to prove me wrong, feel free to run a test of your own and get back to me with the results.

Get back to me on the propaganda machine rehtoric when I have more than one creed fragrance on the site...

Hednic: It means a lot coming from you, sir. Thank you very much!