Code of Conduct

Default Feeling kind of bored with fragrances lately... What do you suggest I try?

Anything goes. What are you guys really loving right now?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Feeling kind of bored with fragrances lately... What do you suggest I try?

Black Afgano

I've gone a bit nuts over Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood and keep having a quick sniff even when it isn't my SOTD.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Feeling kind of bored with fragrances lately... What do you suggest I try?

I'd highly recommend sampling Grossmith Golden Chypre - on the expensive side, but seamlessly blended and worth every penny IMO.

Sound Scents

I suggest original Anat Fritz by Anat Fritz (released in 2006)... It is an extremely sharp and potent aromatic lavender and natural Virginia cedar over a vetiver base. It is quite polarizing and challenging, but I find it amazing.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frdric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'dri) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacr (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Priv (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Hm, I looked through your "tried"-list and you've smelled a bunch of the fragrances I would've suggested for a tired nose. So instead I wonder what about fragrances you're tired of? Is it a hopeless "everything smells the same", or is it a lack of swooning; i.e. scents that used to touch you now leaves you cold? Or is it something else? That could make it easier for us fellow basenoters to suggest your proper fragrance medication ; )
    I'd like to swap:
    Tauer - Lonestar memories
    Guerlain - Jicky EdT

You've got more than 600 frags listed on your page but I didn't notice Monsieur de Givenchy.
    As one reviewer said "sometimes when we are are tired of the vulgar notes of (insert frag of your choice) only monsieur de Givenchy will do"
    I agree. This or Gentleman from the same company (But it has to be vintage)..

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    I've been recently enjoying of wearing vintage Drakkar Noir! I love it. I don't seem to get enough of it!! It's just unbelievebly rich and strong compared to the current DN.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Earthworm by Demeter

Les Jeux Faits by Jovoy Parfums

Tobacco Vanille. Tried a sample. Good stuff!

Rivages des Syrtes-MDCI
    Omniscent-Yosh
    Cerchi Nell'acqua-unusual house well crafted linear scents like White Out, Ambr'ero
    H&G-Candour
    Cale-Tepardium
    What do you call people that are afraid of Santa Claus?

Claustrophobic

Egoiste Cologne Concentree. Been workin' it and lovin' it all winter.

Czech & Speake No.88.

Some people refer to it as 'dark' but to me it's anything but.

I love the rose/geranium/frangipani/bergamot combo.
    Reminds me of India, with a bit of Hawaii thrown in.
    And the sandalwood/vetiver base adds to the delight.
    When you step back from stressing the parts,
    when the mind becomes still, the rose comes to you,
    unfolds in you in all her glory.
    The perfume invades you completely.
    The rose is you. You are one.

Jean Klein

I noticed you've tried a good part of the H&G, Parfums MDCI, and Histoires de Parfums line. If you haven't already I'd recommend trying Blask, Chypre Palatin, and Vidi, respectively. Vidi is the best ozonic thing I've smelled since Odeur 71, it's got much more longevity and body than 71, I found it addictive. You know to expect great quality from MDCI, so you should hit it off with Chypre Palatin pretty well. Blask is a roll of the dice. I like it, the wine+walnut make it pretty cozy, but it's not very accessible. You also might give Multiple Rouge because it's the most daring of the line. I also noticed you don't have anything from Slumberhouse. Sova is worth a sniff, as is Norne imo.

I've also recently tried and enjoyed offerings from Carner, particularly Rima XI. Others seem to take pretty well to D600. I have some samples from O'Driu coming in the mail, I'm looking forward to those. If possible, try looking up something from the Six Scents line. Yann Vasnier (of Divine) collaborated to produce Ende/Anfang, which is a go-to for me in warm weather. All natural ingredients, which gives it a distinctive feel, but unfortunately evaporates from my skin pretty quickly. Hope this helps.

Wow, great recs, thanks

I wasn't even expecting you guys to look at what I've tried, that's awesome you thought of that.

Some really interested stuff mentioned so far, I'll be sure to check those out.

Vintage Lauder for Men really blew me away. I have never experienced such a vivid transition from top to bottom, with individual notes popping out in HD.

Basenotes Plus

Black Afgano, Pure Distance M
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

I would start retesting what you already have you might be surprised what you find. There is a reason you got them in the first place.
    Any opinions I post here about frags only reflect MY PERSONAL TASTE and only my personal preference which could change at any moment.

Instead of suggesting a fragrance, I'd recommend making your own fragrance from scratch if you haven't do so.

by Kilian Incense Oud
    Thierry Mugler Pure Havane

Basenotes Plus

Didn't see these on your "tried" list:

Miller Harris Vetiver Bourbon
    Nasomatto Nuda
    Kilian Pure Oud
    Montale Dark Oud
    Profumum Arso
    Dior Leather Oud
    L'Artisan The Pour un Ete
    Tom Ford Santal Blush

All are kind of essentials for me anyway.

To remind yourself how amazing fragrances can be: Puredistance M

To shock you out of your sloth - Dior Leather Oud

Enjoy!

How about not wearing anything for an entire month then starting again from scratch, making notes in a diary?

Wow, great recs, thanks

I wasn't even expecting you guys to look at what I've tried, that's awesome you thought of that.

Some really interested stuff mentioned so far, I'll be sure to check those out.
    When I get "bored" with regular fragrances, I tend to experiment buying Indian/Pakistani Attar samples. They are oils, and have a wide variety of smells...I tend to either love or hate them, but they are cheap to get 1ml vials, and the fun is testing each one.

Basenotes Junkie

I'm kinda in the same boat as you, but I don't really feel like sampling more. I feel "done" for now, and I thought I should be so crazy as to actually recommend taking a ... let's call it a break? A couple of months enjoying what you have, chilling out and not think too much about it. It'll most definitely come back to you (as it's slowly returning to me after about a month of zero interest).

I hope I didn't derail too much. Plenty of fantastic suggestions here otherwise though

When I get bored of cologne, I take a day or two off and don't wear any. Spring is coming and sometimes it's nice just to get out and smell the scents of the season without worrying about what to spray on.

Photography...

Have you explored "women's fragrances"?

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes65 View Post
    When I get "bored" with regular fragrances, I tend to experiment buying Indian/Pakistani Attar samples. They are oils, and have a wide variety of smells...I tend to either love or hate them, but they are cheap to get 1ml vials, and the fun is testing each one.
    Same case here, has a lot of choices in it too, plus you can try and layer your other fragrances with these ittars/oils, it's interesting as I can layer some hollow dull frags with some sweet/woody oud oil or add a floral note to some overly sharp compositions, choices are virtually limitless.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Photography...
    I decided to go out and "buy a little camera" about 18 months ago. I am now a member of 3 photography forums, have around 35,000 shutter actuations and have spent quite a lot of money in the process. Better try a practical hobby that doesn't break the bank. How about woodwork? :-)

Start collecting Dolls.

Photography...
    Hah! Good idea. I need to get out more and make it a full fledged hobby.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Have you explored "women's fragrances"?
    I've been thinking about this lately...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Start collecting Dolls.
    I've never given this a thought but I'll definitely sleep on it and see what happens haha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    To remind yourself how amazing fragrances can be: Puredistance M

To shock you out of your sloth - Dior Leather Oud

Enjoy!
    I've tried the Pure Distance M. It's pretty awesome. Not really my style but I can see why people love it so much.

I'll add the Leather Oud to my sample roster, among some others people have posted, such as Black Afghano

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Traditionalist View Post
    How about not wearing anything for an entire month then starting again from scratch, making notes in a diary?
    Now that I think of it, I feel like that would be impossible..! But if I succeed, that would for sure make me appreciate fragrances again.

Maybe that should be my next challenge...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by charger View Post
    When I get bored of cologne, I take a day or two off and don't wear any. Spring is coming and sometimes it's nice just to get out and smell the scents of the season without worrying about what to spray on.
    I love how fragrances come alive in the spring. I feel like my sense of smell goes into hyper drive in the spring, especially in the morning when people have freshly sprayed on fragrances. Such a great time of year.

Me too...

But nothing that a Najaf / Basala layering and a not so wee dram of Laphroaig cask strength won't take care of.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

I was going to suggest this. Tired nose, give it a rest for a month. Maybe giving each fragrance a few days to see whether you still enjoy it and can enjoy repeated wearings of it (the true test of a great frag IMHO.)

Here are some suggestions if you haven't already:
    1) Get into fragrance oils. I never did but it could be interesting
    2) Start shaving with a safety razor and use a shave brush. This would lead you into buying things like different vintage razors, different aftershaves, different brushes, shave scuttles, and different shave soaps and creams. I have been "wet shaving" for about 5 years now and I will never go back to cream in a can and disposable razors.
    3) Start shaving with a straight razor. I just got into this but there is just something about shaving with a straight razor that is cool, manly, and enjoyable to me. You can buy many different new and vintage razors, different strops, and different honing/sharpening stones.

treeman5823

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique. Wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by gmm150 View Post
    2) Start shaving with a safety razor and use a shave brush. This would lead you into buying things like different vintage razors, different aftershaves, different brushes, shave scuttles, and different shave soaps and creams. I have been "wet shaving" for about 5 years now and I will never go back to cream in a can and disposable razors.
    I have to say, this is excellent advice. It opens up a whole new realm of scent experiences. Most of them are inexpensive so you don't get that 'being taken for a mug' feeling you do with some of the over-priced niche houses.

Basenotes Plus

Sometimes a change in how you approach sampling is all you need to refresh your mind. Dig up your old samples and revisit fragrances by perfumer and figure out if a perfumer has a certain style or preference towards certain accords/combos. Or do a comparative study why you find certain fragrances superior to others within the same genre or subgenre.

If you haven't already done so, do try Mathilde Laurent's offerings from Cartier Les Heures line. The 'horse mane' accord in Fougueuse is something I could never come to grips with having had zero experience with horses but perhaps it might interest you.

Alternatively experiment with fragrance layering. It's like having a remix of your favorite hits.

Take a break from the bottles. Go to the coast. Go for a walk. Anything

- - - Updated - - -

I've been thinking about this lately...

- - - Updated - - -
    Do it! There are a lot of gems on the other side of the fence.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I have to say, this is excellent advice. It opens up a whole new realm of scent experiences. Most of them are inexpensive so you don't get that 'being taken for a mug' feeling you do with some of the over-priced niche houses.
    Lol...

My feelings too! Sheeps for shaving....dont like to be one

I have attars and I love them, specially my two Indian Oud Oils (low grade and high grade). It is really a new universe to be explored.

The tiny bottles are fragile, so be careful not to put too much strength when you close the lid. I destroyed one by accident.

Fetish pour Homme parfum & Fetish Parfum .

for swap/sale:

Give a chance to the whole O'Dri line...the best cure against boredom.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Try Costume National Scent Intense.
    It's really nice, confident and uplifting to me...

Dependent

"Female" fragrances +1

The other thing that has really rekindled my love of frags recently is discovering Middle Eastern scents. Picked up some cheap little bottles at a nearby Islamic center. The stars I picked up were both by Al Rehab: Al Shariga (rose and oud, simple but perfect), and Saat Safa (genius amber + oud + oakmoss -- glows like a Turner sunset over Istanbul). They have such a full and rich effect that is so different than Western fragrances. Plus they aren't members of the IFRA. I'm convinced they have nitromusks. So rich and potent!

treeman5823

Vintage Diorissimo, Sarassins, Chypre Palatin, Idole. :-)

My advice? It's time to rediscover your guilty pleasures!

THIS is actually brilliant advice. If I recall correctly, the cells involved with your sense of smell are regenerated every 31 days. Taking a month off more or less gives you the chance to start over, without whatever tolerance you may have built up. This is especially effective for over-sprayers (not that you're one of those guys. Frankly, I have no idea). I did this about a year ago and was amazed by how much more of everything I noticed when I returned to fragrances. Not only did I get more out of fewer sprays, I also noticed so much more complexity in everything.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Interlude, incensy resineous with gorgeous frankincense drydown

Photography...
    No, no, no.

This doesn't work, you end up collecting lenses!