Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Great Scents revisited: GIANFRANCO FERRE' FOR MEN, EDT by GianFranco Ferrè.

GIANFRANCO FERRE' FOR MAN
    Leather chypre at highest levels!

YEAR 1986 (vintage, DISCONTINUED)

YEAR 2000 (Newer vintage, DISCONTINUED, glass bottle)

YEAR 2011 (CURRENT, Reformulated, metallic bottle)

Vintage and Newer Vintage are very similar, Reformulated is a bit different, but still acceptable. Reformulation luckily didn't ruined totally this scent.....

IMPORTANT not to be confused with "Ferrè for Men", a totally different, acquatic scent.

IMPORTANT: Newer Vintage sports the GFF mark on the topside of the box; Current version doesn't. the FRONT side of the Box is IDENTICAL in both versions.

Newer Vintage = Glass bottle!

Current= metallic bottle!

Newer Vintage = EVERNIA FURFURACEA (treemoss) on the box

Current= there isn't any moss reported.

Curious to say, there is no cap.

BOTTOM of the bottle: until 2004 Ferre perfumes were produced by DANA DE SILVA; after 2004, by ITF Milan.
    Last edited by Andrè Moreau; 13th March 2013 at 08:00 PM.

Sound Scents
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Great Scents revisited: GIANFRANCO FERRE' FOR MEN, EDT by GianFranco Ferrè.

An excellent scent in all its formulations, IMO. Definitely an oft-overlooked inexpensive gem.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Great Scents revisited: GIANFRANCO FERRE' FOR MEN, EDT by GianFranco Ferrè.

I like this one as well. Took a few wears to get used to it, but I certainly appreciate it now.

Thanks for all the pics and information Andre. I actually did not realize there were three different bottles.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Personally never cared for any of his fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing the revisiting of yet another one of the scents that left me with fond memories from my past fragrance testings.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic fragrance, a wonderful "complicated" leather/vetiver.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    Fantastic fragrance, a wonderful "complicated" leather/vetiver.
    Agreed! Wearing it today by coincidence (newest version in metallic bottle).

Love the warmth, depth and complexity.

Post Thanks / Like

This was my wedding day (1991) scent, hand picked by my then 19 year old bride. Still together, almost 22 years later. I seem to recall some dry dusty citrus aspects in this scent. I believe I had the first iteration.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    This was my wedding day (1991) scent, hand picked by my then 19 year old bride. Still together, almost 22 years later. I seem to recall some dry dusty citrus aspects in this scent. I believe I had the first iteration.
    Nice one ChuckW! There's still a dry, dusty aspect to the latest version with citrus topnotes so it seems it may not have changed too much.

I have the first (splash bottle) and last formulations. The first may have lost some top notes so it's hard to compare and be sure, but the original seems a bit more crisp, dry, and aromatic, whereas the newer one seems more complex. I need to do a side by side comparison one of these days, but at the prices I saw not long ago, it's a great value, better than just about anything selling in typical dept. store fragrance sections these days (either formulation).

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

only for info: an old botle with the "Diana de Silva" sticker. It means = before year 2004.
    Could be useful to date old Ferrè perfumes.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes -

I fully concur and find a great affinity with this scent. To me, it is a Woody Chypre with a nice leather note (but also a wonderful vetiver and moss base in Vintage formulation). The integration of florals, tobacco, fir, lavender, juniper, wood (cedar and sandalwood) in Vintage bottlings is excellent, with a rather quiet top/opening of warm citrus.

Current juice is a blast of Sicilian lemon, herbs, florals and more musk, wood and leather in the base. The moss is barely there. To me, a great scent to layer Vintage with current and enjoy the full spectrum of notes.

All the best - cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I like this one as well. Took a few wears to get used to it, but I certainly appreciate it now.

Thanks for all the pics and information Andre. I actually did not realize there were three different bottles.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Andrè,
    I own two bottles of the 1986 version (splash and Vap.), This scent is wonderful!
    The vintage aftershave is also very good.
    It is undoubtedly one of the finest powerhouses!
    Enjoy ...