Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dependent
    Blog Entries

Default Great Scents revisited: GIANFRANCO FERRE' FOR MEN, EDT by GianFranco Ferrè.

GIANFRANCO FERRE' FOR MAN
    Leather chypre at highest levels!

YEAR 1986 (vintage, DISCONTINUED)

YEAR 2000 (Newer vintage, DISCONTINUED, glass bottle)

YEAR 2011 (CURRENT, Reformulated, metallic bottle)

Vintage and Newer Vintage are very similar, Reformulated is a bit different, but still acceptable. Reformulation luckily didn't ruined totally this scent.....

IMPORTANT not to be confused with "Ferrè for Men", a totally different, acquatic scent.

IMPORTANT: Newer Vintage sports the GFF mark on the topside of the box; Current version doesn't. the FRONT side of the Box is IDENTICAL in both versions.

Newer Vintage = Glass bottle!

Current= metallic bottle!

Newer Vintage = EVERNIA FURFURACEA (treemoss) on the box

Current= there isn't any moss reported.

Curious to say, there is no cap.

BOTTOM of the bottle: until 2004 Ferre perfumes were produced by DANA DE SILVA; after 2004, by ITF Milan.
    Last edited by Andrè Moreau; 13th March 2013 at 08:00 PM.

Sound Scents

Default Re: Great Scents revisited: GIANFRANCO FERRE' FOR MEN, EDT by GianFranco Ferrè.

An excellent scent in all its formulations, IMO. Definitely an oft-overlooked inexpensive gem.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Default Re: Great Scents revisited: GIANFRANCO FERRE' FOR MEN, EDT by GianFranco Ferrè.

I like this one as well. Took a few wears to get used to it, but I certainly appreciate it now.

Thanks for all the pics and information Andre. I actually did not realize there were three different bottles.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Aramis New West, Alain Delon Iquitos, Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Oxford & Cambridge, Azzaro pour Homme (vintage),...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of PdE Ambre Russe, Jil Sander Feeling Man, Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Giorgio VIP, ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Personally never cared for any of his fragrances.

Thanks for sharing the revisiting of yet another one of the scents that left me with fond memories from my past fragrance testings.

Fantastic fragrance, a wonderful "complicated" leather/vetiver.
    Currently wearing: Eight & Bob by Eight & Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    Fantastic fragrance, a wonderful "complicated" leather/vetiver.
    Agreed! Wearing it today by coincidence (newest version in metallic bottle).

Love the warmth, depth and complexity.

This was my wedding day (1991) scent, hand picked by my then 19 year old bride. Still together, almost 22 years later. I seem to recall some dry dusty citrus aspects in this scent. I believe I had the first iteration.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    This was my wedding day (1991) scent, hand picked by my then 19 year old bride. Still together, almost 22 years later. I seem to recall some dry dusty citrus aspects in this scent. I believe I had the first iteration.
    Nice one ChuckW! There's still a dry, dusty aspect to the latest version with citrus topnotes so it seems it may not have changed too much.

I have the first (splash bottle) and last formulations. The first may have lost some top notes so it's hard to compare and be sure, but the original seems a bit more crisp, dry, and aromatic, whereas the newer one seems more complex. I need to do a side by side comparison one of these days, but at the prices I saw not long ago, it's a great value, better than just about anything selling in typical dept. store fragrance sections these days (either formulation).

Dependent
    Blog Entries

only for info: an old botle with the "Diana de Silva" sticker. It means = before year 2004.
    Could be useful to date old Ferrè perfumes.

Yes -

I fully concur and find a great affinity with this scent. To me, it is a Woody Chypre with a nice leather note (but also a wonderful vetiver and moss base in Vintage formulation). The integration of florals, tobacco, fir, lavender, juniper, wood (cedar and sandalwood) in Vintage bottlings is excellent, with a rather quiet top/opening of warm citrus.

Current juice is a blast of Sicilian lemon, herbs, florals and more musk, wood and leather in the base. The moss is barely there. To me, a great scent to layer Vintage with current and enjoy the full spectrum of notes.

All the best - cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I like this one as well. Took a few wears to get used to it, but I certainly appreciate it now.

Thanks for all the pics and information Andre. I actually did not realize there were three different bottles.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Hello Andrè,
    I own two bottles of the 1986 version (splash and Vap.), This scent is wonderful!
    The vintage aftershave is also very good.
    It is undoubtedly one of the finest powerhouses!
    Enjoy ...

Nice expose on Gianfranco Ferre For Man, Andre.

I do detect a difference between the 1st and 2nd releases. The 2nd is a bit more floral and a little weaker on the oakmoss, to my nose, enough that I've focused exclusively on the 1st release.
    Some favorites: Pasha Incense Royale, Chopard (Oud Malaki, Noble Vetiver), Amouage (Epic Man, Tribute), Versace L'Homme (vintage), YSL (M7, Kouros (1st)), Gucci Envy, Gucci Nobile, Hermes (vintage: Bel Ami, Equipage), Chanel (vintage: Antaeus, Pour Monsieur (+CC), Egoiste (+CC)), Tiffany For Men, Estee Lauder Metropolis, Jean-Marc Sinan VO, Guerlain (Heritage, L'Homme Intense, LIDGE), Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense, Etro (Palais Jamais, Gomma, Vetiver, Shaal Nur), Davidoff Zino (1st), Acqua di Parma (Assoluta 2011, Essenza, Intensa Oud), Gianfranco Ferre For Man (1st), Elsha 1776, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Calvin Klein Obsession (vintage), Jovoy Private Label, Monsieur Carven, Diptyque (Hesperides, Tam Dao EDP), Byredo (Accord Oud, Baudelaire)

Please edit the thread title and pay attention to the name - this is Ferré for Man and not Ferré for Men (2007) (which isn't an aquatic by any means, by the way)

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Personally never cared for any of his fragrances.
    hahahaha for some reason, the frankness of your response made me laugh
    My top ten, in no particular order:
    Insurrection II Wild
    Polo
    Halston Man Amber
    Mugler Pure Wood
    24 Gold
    L'eau Bleue D'issey Pour Homme
    Kenzo Jungle Homme
    Terre D'Hermes
    Mauboussin M Generations
    Calvin(original blue)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post

To me, a great scent to layer Vintage with current and enjoy the full spectrum of notes.

Precisely what I tend to do. Probably the only example in my collection where old and new stand side by side as a tandem and often used that way.

Love these archeology posts from Andre...

Attachment 39783Attachment 39783
    Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    Nice expose on Gianfranco Ferre For Man, Andre.

I do detect a difference between the 1st and 2nd releases. The 2nd is a bit more floral and a little weaker on the oakmoss, to my nose, enough that I've focused exclusively on the 1st release.
    Hi cyntherian.

Here's a pic of my vintage bottle.....the sprayer differs from your photo.

Alan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    Attachment 39783Attachment 39783

Hi cyntherian.

Here's a pic of my vintage bottle.....the sprayer differs from your photo.

Alan.
    Hi Alan, yes -- that photo was more to illustrate the bottle design. The spray head covering looks to have been removed. So yes, it would normally look as your bottle does. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Some favorites: Pasha Incense Royale, Chopard (Oud Malaki, Noble Vetiver), Amouage (Epic Man, Tribute), Versace L'Homme (vintage), YSL (M7, Kouros (1st)), Gucci Envy, Gucci Nobile, Hermes (vintage: Bel Ami, Equipage), Chanel (vintage: Antaeus, Pour Monsieur (+CC), Egoiste (+CC)), Tiffany For Men, Estee Lauder Metropolis, Jean-Marc Sinan VO, Guerlain (Heritage, L'Homme Intense, LIDGE), Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense, Etro (Palais Jamais, Gomma, Vetiver, Shaal Nur), Davidoff Zino (1st), Acqua di Parma (Assoluta 2011, Essenza, Intensa Oud), Gianfranco Ferre For Man (1st), Elsha 1776, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Calvin Klein Obsession (vintage), Jovoy Private Label, Monsieur Carven, Diptyque (Hesperides, Tam Dao EDP), Byredo (Accord Oud, Baudelaire)

Thanks cytherian for your reply (and my apologies for misspelling your name first time around).
    Heres a link to my post of some months ago when I first acquired this gorgeous scent:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/401...-Ferre-For-Man

I sat at the next table to GFF once at a tiny little restaurant in Milan's golden triangle (the late, great St. Andrews). Probably 1988/9. Not sure if this is what he was wearing but his table smelled great. I noticed it as soon as I walked in. Similarly, I sat next to Geoffrey Beene once, years ago, at the Cafe des Artists and kept sniffing the air for Grey Flannel but all I smelled was Goulash.
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

Great story Oviatt......
    Did you recognize him right away?
    Who was he with?
    If it was 88/89 I'd like to think that he was wearing this.
    Alan.

I literally smelled him first. A few minutes after I sat down, the penny dropped. He was with an very chic older woman. He was a very commanding presence, even though he just quietly got on with his dinner. I will have to seek out a bottle of this and see if I remember it as the one he was wearing--makes sense, though....
    Currently wearing: Coriolan by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by schnozz View Post
    Precisely what I tend to do. Probably the only example in my collection where old and new stand side by side as a tandem and often used that way.

Love these archeology posts from Andre...
    Originally Posted by ericrico

To me, a great scent to layer Vintage with current and enjoy the full spectrum of notes.

totally agree...I had a new bottle and scored a vintage on ebay and have been layering the 2...works great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    I sat at the next table to GFF once at a tiny little restaurant in Milan's golden triangle (the late, great St. Andrews). Probably 1988/9. Not sure if this is what he was wearing but his table smelled great. I noticed it as soon as I walked in. Similarly, I sat next to Geoffrey Beene once, years ago, at the Cafe des Artists and kept sniffing the air for Grey Flannel but all I smelled was Goulash.
    Great story. Given the time frame, it's easy to imagine him wearing GFFM... I wonder if it was a really good seller back then? It's such an interesting scent. It has qualities that evoke impressions of a mid 80's era fragrance that's heavy on the oakmoss along with petitgrain, bergamot, and aldehydes. But the balance is so nice. Complex and captivating. I get different qualities from it when sniffing close to catching a whiff from a distance. I don't find it a real powerhouse. It's more dignified and refined for that. A real classic.

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    Great story. Given the time frame, it's easy to imagine him wearing GFFM... I wonder if it was a really good seller back then? It's such an interesting scent. It has qualities that evoke impressions of a mid 80's era fragrance that's heavy on the oakmoss along with petitgrain, bergamot, and aldehydes. But the balance is so nice. Complex and captivating. I get different qualities from it when sniffing close to catching a whiff from a distance. I don't find it a real powerhouse. It's more dignified and refined for that. A real classic.
    Excellent analysis cytherian.
    I can't remember any of my friends owning this back in the day, and we all had small collections.
    I'd be interested to hear if anyone did purchase it when released.
    Alan.
    Last edited by AlanG; 15th July 2015 at 12:43 PM.

Can anyone comment on the performance and longevity of the 2nd formula versus the current? It would seem there are no 1st editions to be had, so Im going for the 2nd

Mine is vintaege - a "spray intensive" scent if after silage and longevity. In that sense, a traditional masculine. However, quite complex and "rounded" to the nose.

Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    Can anyone comment on the performance and longevity of the 2nd formula versus the current? It would seem there are no 1st editions to be had, so Im going for the 2nd
    There seems to be a 75 ml vintage here:

http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_..._products.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Mine is vintaege - a "spray intensive" scent if after silage and longevity. In that sense, a traditional masculine. However, quite complex and "rounded" to the nose.
    I see, so not much of a powerhouse?