Code of Conduct

Default Patchouli Intense/ Parfums Nicolai

An older thread wouldn't let me post a response so excuse me for opening up a new one.

I was wondering if any of you own a full bottle of this and how you are enjoying it ? I received a sample of it last week and the opening was very appealing to me. It had that masculine "power" vibe of NEW YORK (also by Parfums Nicolai ) but with a little edge to it. It is unmistakably masculine and for a mature person. I really enjoy these types of scents.

It loses some appeal to me in the dry down. It fades into a softer pretty citrusy floral. No raw patchouli here that is for sure.

Anyways I wasn't sure about longevity either. Some people say New York has been watered down. Would it be worth researching this one some more or has it gone in the same direction as NY ? I'd love some opinions.

Thanks

New York was nice but had longevity issues on my skin and chateau intense (?) turned way too sweet on me. All IMO are in a similar gener...polite gentlemen mature.

Parfums De Nicolai Quality/Durable products YES or NO ?

Default Re: Patchouli Intense/ Parfums Nicolai

I have a full large bottle of this in my collection and I personally think it's one of the best patchouli prominent scents out there. Longevity on my skin is excellent and IMO the quality is not lacking.

I don't have the patchouli but I have four others (including NY and Vie de Chateau Intense) and I have no concerns about quality or longevity. They're excellent, as far as I'm concerned.

Fantastic and powerful patchouli, love it!

I bought a small bottle when it was released and find it an unusual one - not classic patchouli, more austere herbal than dense 'earthy oriental'. I don't really relate it to New York, though . . . which has more of a warm classical chyriental sort vibe (a bit like Tiffany for Men which you should try).

I think Nicolai overall is an excellent house - I like Nicolai Pour Homme (lavender mint fougere) and there are a couple of others I should get.

Sounds to me like you should try Derby & Chamade Pour Homme at some point.

...nice scent: **** out of 5...!

I only have a sample at the moment. I got with that sample many of scents from PdN and patchoulli intense seemed, from the small amount sampled, far more powerful than any of the others, including New York. It also lasted longer. I plan on getting a 30ml bottle in the future.

EDIT: Not to get off topic, but I know that Patchouli Intense is reffered to as the replacement of Patchouli Homme and I believe most places say it is the same scent, yet Patchouli Homme is an EDT and Patchouli Intense is an EDP... so there must be some difference, no?
    Last edited by sroreilly; 13th March 2013 at 09:40 AM.

I own Patchouli homme (not intense). It doesn't really feel like a patchouli per se, as others have said, it is somewhat more acidic, and with a certain resinous oriental vibe. If any, rather than NYC, it makes me think a bit about Odalisque (at least, the current version that I have). It lasts pretty well on me.

In general, I have no longevity problems with the several PdN I own. For some reason, many of her things have been renamed "intense" (or named to start with, like musc intense).

cacio

Banned

Patchouli intense is one of the strongest scents i have ever tried!!...it starts almost feminine, but then turns heavy masculine..and lasts for ever.....so no concerns there, i was surprised becasue their scents smell refined, and this one was an outlier a bit raw masculine vibe lol

PdN is quality yes....composition and material...some of the best of modern perfumery IMO
    Last edited by iivanita; 13th March 2013 at 03:49 PM. Reason: add few more

New York is fantastic, I've only sampled some of their others and haven't found one that is bottle worthy yet. Patchouli Intense has good projection and longevity but the smell didn't appeal to me. They all seem like quality frags from this house.

Thank You to everybody that commented. I just purchased the 100ml bottle.

I will be eating dog food for the rest of the month !

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I bought a small bottle when it was released and find it an unusual one - not classic patchouli, more austere herbal than dense 'earthy oriental'. I don't really relate it to New York, though . . . which has more of a warm classical chyriental sort vibe (a bit like Tiffany for Men which you should try).

I think Nicolai overall is an excellent house - I like Nicolai Pour Homme (lavender mint fougere) and there are a couple of others I should get.

Sounds to me like you should try Derby & Chamade Pour Homme at some point.
    First of all, YES on the PdN line overall.

I too bought a bottle of this when it first came out. The first round was labeled "Patchouli Homme", and that's what I have. I was expecting patchouli-er scent, but it's homme all right. It was actually a little too too manly for me. Someone who carried off the '80s powerhouse male frags with aplomb would cherish this one. When I meet him I'll gift PdN's PH over to him. I've only ever given it a few full wears, and those during cold dark winter days, for which this scent is a spicy, warm (but NOT sweet) antidote.

BTW, love the term "chyriental"!

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    In general, I have no longevity problems with the several PdN I own. For some reason, many of her things have been renamed "intense" (or named to start with, like musc intense).

cacio
    true, but patchoulli homme is listed as eau de toillette and patchoulli intense as eau de parfum. they charge more for the parfum as wells o I expect some difference between the two, no?

soreilly:

good point, perhaps when they do edp, now they specify intense. I haven't compared intense and not, so I cannot say.

But for instance, Maharanih was reportedly relatively weak, while the intense version, which I have, is quite adequate.

cacio

Banned

PdN is the only house that makes second versions of their perfumes, i.e. intense versions, better, so far my experience, richer, and hold the same notes,
    As far as i understand they will leave only intense versions...and Patch intense is the one, homme is closed, and they changed homme because many women were buying it( SA version of the story) ,because of that feminine opening i guess:-)
    Last edited by iivanita; 13th March 2013 at 10:30 PM.

I bought a full bottle last autumn. It was tough to decide between this and Vanille Intense (just me?). I'm sure the 30ml bottles used to be 40 or 45 EUR but now they're 50 it's becoming less easy to plunge into the Nicolai line. The boutiques usually only have limited samples of the most recently released scent; they don't make it particularly easy to sample the line.

I was sure the bottle I bought is more intense than the skin sampling I did in 2011. I'm in my twenties and sure the frag would suit a more mature gentleman. I suppose I was hooked by the quality of the ingredients; who knows if they are top-notch but they are certainly a few notches above the dross they try to sell us in department stores. This must be what Guerlain's smelt like in the good ol' days.

On me, the opening is a mess, feminine, powdery, awful. I didn't like it. Then I couldn't stop sniffing my arm a few hours after leaving the boutique. There's a creamy sandalwood in there, reminiscent of MPG Santal Noble in passing. On my next trip to Paris a year later, I bought it. It was punchier than I remembered, you really only need a little. I'd love Nicolai to try something without lavender, without citrus... perhaps a Santal Noble of their own.

As for the Patch, it is somewhere in the background, or in the depths. This simply doesn't smell of Patchouli.

Has anyone bought a bottle of Vanille Intense, I'd be curious what the gents have to say about that one.

I got a sample of this, and would possibly like it if it lived up to the name, or had any patchouli in it. I get zero.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

treeman5823

I think I tried this...Patchouli something or other. It didn't really smell like patchouli, if I remember correctly, more like pepper (not black pepper, chili peppers [habanero, pablano, what have you]).

Quote Originally Posted by ioriw View Post
    I
    As for the Patch, it is somewhere in the background, or in the depths.

YES. I did find the patch but it is buried in there and doesn't show itself too often. It comes and goes on my skin.

I've owned this for a few days now. I think it is another one that will bloom in warmer weather. The good news is the longevity seems to be ok even in dry winter weather like we are having in NYC. The sillage is also decent although not monster.

The warmer weather could really bring this scent out in a positive way.

You are correct when you said that it is a quality fragrance. It has that refined well polished feel of a well done classic cologne from an older house. Guerlain has been mentioned before.

I personally love these kinds of scents. Some are better than other but these days the pickings are slim when it comes to quality. When I smelled the sample it took me to back to that classic era. You cannot deny how formal it smells. So I guess that it what sold me.

In some ways it sort of reminds me of Lauder for Men but this caters better more to my tastes.

I am happy with my purchase.

The name wasn't chosen well but maybe they had another reason for calling it intense and patchouli wasn't one of them...who knows.

NEW YORK is also decent but I had longevity problems with it.

I'm happy with the purchase too, I just wonder if something changed slightly from the tester bottle at the Boutique in 2011 (which could have been 2009 or 10 production) and the bottle bought at the end of 2012. They might have beefed it up slightly to please customers from warmer climes. I can't wait to re-sample the line again soon. Their boutiques are always fixated on being tidy and neat, the bottles laid out just so; they instantly clear away any spritzed test strips. They should just have some ready to sniff a-la-Lutens. The differences within the line are so subtle it takes multiple trips to settle on two or three scents of interest.