Code of Conduct

Question Santos de Cartier, red box, good deal for $39?

So there is a bottle of Santos at my local TJ's that has been tempting me for awhile. It's on red tag clearance for $39 and I guess part of me keeps waiting for it to go a little lower I'm a fan of Cartier fragrances and frags from the time period that Santos came out, and I was planing on finally biting the bullet and buying it tomorrow. Then I started to do some research to see if it was a good deal and saw all these horror stories about how poor the longevity is on the reformulation and I assume that is the bottle I would be getting from TJ's.

Is the reformulation really that bad? And considering everything is $39 a decent price?

This is the same box that I see at TJ's and it appears to be sealed and untouched:

Thanks
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Default Re: Santos de Cartier, red box, good deal for $39?

Is that for a 1.7 or 3.4oz bottle? Either way, I'd say it's a very good price considering the retail one.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/cartier-...rigin=category

I have the latest version and on me it has decent longevity. I think the current Santos has great top and mid notes but the basenotes are not that great, kind of boring, without much depth.

Basenotes Plus

Works well for me.

IMO Yes.

In my opinion, yes

Great price IMO

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

If you're looking to complete your Cartier collection, sure why not? But do give it a try. If you don't enjoy the scent even $39 is too steep a price to pay.

My fault, it is the large 100ml bottle. Thanks for your input. For anyone who has had the "new" formulation, is the longevity really that bad?

Imo the longevity is bad. If you can find it, go for the concentree version.

I agree with Oslo-Fjord. The longevity is terrible. I have not sampled the concentree, but the reviews are indeed favorable. Go for that one instead. It is a good price ( but not as cheap as $39). Vintage Santos de Cartier is really pricey ( if you can find it).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Well, I decided to pass on the Santos, maybe if it goes down some more I will pick it up. But I did buy Azzaro Night Time. I'm liking it! I feel I paid a little too much $25 for a 1.7oz bottle, but I'm glad I have it.
    We should have a TJ Maxx community on here where we can say what we're looking for and if a BN'er from another town sees it they can pick it up and mail it to the guy looking

Overcome By Fumes

Night Time is pretty good too. Keep your eyes out for an older vintage Santos and you will find some sooner or later.