Code of Conduct

Thread: Help?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help?

Hi all,

Basically the last couple weeks ago I created a perfume blend using a carrier oil of castor oil.
    Perfume overall came out nice, sweet and fruity just like i was expecting but 1 problem I noticed when using the perfume. I put it into a roller ball bottle, due to the thickness of the castor oil I could not get a decent amount onto my skin.

Is there a thinner carrier oil I could use for this and which would you recommend? I'm looking to stick to oil based perfume.

Any responses would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help?

If you must use a natural carrier, then there isn't a better.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with David. Just thought the other way around: instead of a looking for a "thinner" carrier oil, you could consider making a solid perfume, based on melting cocoa butter, de-scented bees wax and your oils. Adding maybe some Castor or JoJoba, if it's to thick. Having a solid makes it easy to apply and to take around with you. Just a thought.

Happy perfuming!

Your'e welcome to visit my formulation blog, with a dozen of perfume formulations and accords to share!

I'm not a perfumer (just learning!) but I make skincare products and I wouldn't choose castor oil for an oil based perfume myself. It's a very viscous oil and can feel quite sticky on your skin. I know you probably won't be applying your oil based perfume all over, but even if you don't notice the sticky feeling, as you have seen it is a bit too thick for a roller bottle. Better oils for use in a rollerball bottle would be fractionated coconut oil or jojoba oil. Or as jsparla suggests try solid perfume, you can make a solid base with just an oil and beeswax if you want to start simple. Try using a ratio of 25% beeswax to 75% oil to start with. I don't know your location though, if you live in a hot country solid perfume may melt too easily!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to add to the suggestions, if it does not have to be natural then you could try either DPG (dipropylene glycol) or IPM (isopropyl myristate) - both work well and as IPM is much thinner than DPG you could even use a combination to adjust the viscosity to suit your application.

If it is important to you that you use a natural oil carrier then you could use some FCO (fractionated coconut oil), which is very thin to reduce the viscosity of your castor oil in the same way.

One thing to be aware of is that although most materials will dissolve happily in all of these carriers not everything will - castor oil is particularly good because, just like ethanol, it is a good solvent for many materials. They don't all mix with each other either:
    DPG will mix with ethanol, IPM and castor oil but not FCO
    IPM and castor oil will (I think) mix with all of them
    Ethanol will mix with IPM, DPG and castor oil but not FCO
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Post Thanks / Like

I mentioned that Castor Oil was the best option because I thought natural solvent was required, and Castor Oil is the best natural solvent. Seems to be more stable too, and doesn't go "of" as quickly as some others. If it is not important to have all natural, then of course there are many, better solvents around.