Code of Conduct

Default Please help! what's the difference between a rose 'attar', rose otto and essential rose oil?

Hi.
    i am thinking of buying, for my next purchase, an oil-based, non-alcoholic, perfume made from all natural ingredients which has rose as its main, or only, scent.
    i am a bit confused though between rose attar, rose otto (otto of rose) and essential rose oil.

what's the difference? are they the same product with different names or what?!

specifically, I am thinking of either amouage rose attar (or homage) or one of these:

http://www.enaissance.co.uk/acatalog...arian-167.html

am i missing something here?
    "Three things of this (temporal) world have been made beloved to me: women, PERFUME, and the coolness of my eyes is in prayer" -- Prophet Muhammad (upon him be the peace and blessings of God).

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Please help! what's the difference between a rose 'attar', rose otto and essential rose oil?

Hi!
    Firstly, Homage is not quite so rosy these days!
    It was re-formulated, but suggest trying before buying as it may have improved again!

Amouage do several rose attars (Itrs).Harrods used to have a good range and certainly used to post from available stock within the U.K.
    The Amouage Lowndes Street Boutique has access to a good variety, so suggest a 'phone call if you are in the U.K.
    I have the old white box version rose attar, then just sold as 'Rose', which I am fairly sure was made from Bulgarian rose.
    New versions may be different, they were recently doing a Turkish & a Ta'ifi as well.
    The prices range from o.k., to painful!

I think that the traditional Rose attar (Itr) that you might be thinking of is rose distilled into sandalwood, but other people should be able to add to this!

Otto is just another name for the steam distilled essential oil & does not last very long on the skin or smell like Itr oils as it is an ingredient, rather than a finished product.

There are various branded Bulgarian otto-based scents, but they may have an alcohol base - the one that I have does.
    Again, someone may know one that doesn't.

These people have a good selection and turnover of high quality oils & absolutes & will give you a good idea of prices that you will expect to pay for a good product - but they are not 'finished scents' intended to be used straight on skin & the one in your link is not either, so just a comparison.
    http://www.hermitageoils.com/rose-collection
    See this article
    http://www.hermitageoils.com/rose-absolute-1120

Surrati (K.S.A.) do a Wardh Taifi oil, which may not be 'pure', but lasts fairly well and is remarkably well-priced at about $30 for 1/2 tola.
    It is not easy to obtain and I don't know of a U.K. supplier - if anyone else does, please share!

There are many low quality 'attars', Itrs and essential oils on sale over here.

Good luck & please let us know how you get on
    Last edited by lpp; 21st March 2013 at 02:40 PM.

Default Re: Please help! what's the difference between a rose 'attar', rose otto and essential rose oil?

Quote Originally Posted by naqshbandi View Post
    Hi.
    i am thinking of buying, for my next purchase, an oil-based, non-alcoholic, perfume made from all natural ingredients which has rose as its main, or only, scent.
    i am a bit confused though between rose attar, rose otto (otto of rose) and essential rose oil.

what's the difference? are they the same product with different names or what?!
    Dug this up on the internet. Don't know if this clears up your confusion:

"Attar of roses, also called otto of rose, essence of rose, or rose oil, is a fragrant, colorless or pale-yellow liquid essential oil distilled from fresh petals of Rosa damascena and R. gallica and other species of the rose family Rosaceae.

Basenotes Plus

@hednic - thanks, but Itr is not the same as rose otto, as I understand it.
    Decent rose Itr is not easy to find and many sellers have lower quality versions that don't smell very good.
    We tend to refer to all Itrs & Mukhallats as 'Attars' here & this adds to the confusion!
    Which, I suspect, is the cause of the O.P.'s problem, but further advice would be welcome.
    And the IFRA regulation situation, together with current shipping problems, doesn't help either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ittar

Edit 19 March 2013

The Amouage Boutique in Lowndes Street just confirmed that they are willing to order in various attars, depending on availability, & post within the U.K.
    Obviously, a shipping charge will apply.
    Last edited by lpp; 19th March 2013 at 03:09 PM.