Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: ? Any interest in a Ramon Monegal sample pass (7 scents)

I should lurk the Female Fragrance Discussion board move. I would have loved to get in on this one as Ramon Monegal's line is one I've been wanting to try.

Looking forward to more reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    I should lurk the Female Fragrance Discussion board move. I would have loved to get in on this one as Ramon Monegal's line is one I've been wanting to try.

Yes! You should visit us more often, as we do a lot of sample passes, and we love the guys to join in

Lo siento, Juan! Maybe someday I'll get another sample set and do it again. Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Yes! You should visit us more often, as we do a lot of sample passes, and we love the guys to join in
    Oh, I definitely will.
    Quote Originally Posted by SaNielsen View Post
    Lo siento, Juan! Maybe someday I'll get another sample set and do it again. Lisa
    No worries, Lisa. I'm hoping to get a sample pass going myself. These are fun!

Basenotes Institution

Cello, dear, you are making me blush. You are an experienced nose yourself and you have a nice way with your words too (now I need to find me a wearable leather for this skin, too). Iris Poudre is a benchmark here too, the one that all other irises get compared to vs. against.

Juan, right now there are more than one pass opened right here on the Ladies'side.
    Last edited by Twolf; 24th March 2013 at 10:18 AM.

Interesting, that you didn't get any iris in the iris scent? I don't remember the mimosa, will have to re-sniff it.

Nice reviews and who cares if other people's feelings get hurt, review what you wish I say. They will get over it or they simply don't have to read your stuff. People have different tastes and appreciate different things.

So overall, you seem to like the Monegal's. I am impressed with his work, he should get perfumer of the year for 2012, imo. Or at least some kind of tidbit, lol.

Ambra Di Luna is nice, even though the animalics make my nose a bit unhappy. I apply it with a light hand because of that.
    Last edited by kalli; 24th March 2013 at 08:23 AM.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Twolf, I loved reading your reviews! They are so well worded, so well thought out. Beautiful to read and will be nice to come back to as I go through the scents.

Cello, it was lovely reading your review of the Impossible Iris as well. I think you are both very experienced. I tend to flounder, I cannot identify notes. My nose tends to take in the entire scent like a tornado and spits it out as an image or an emotion. It becomes an experience, a roller coaster, a walk along the beach, a riotous karaoke party, a moonlit night with fireflies blinking. I cannot pick out the individual components. I hope to work on that this year, so I can identify what it is about a scent I love or hate, but for now, I am terrible at it.

Scentsucker, I will gladly give you my spot in line. I had been considering ordering a sample set of my own so I could take my time with them. As I said above, it takes me a long time to get a scent. I need at least a few wearings. And I would love to enjoy the process without feeling that I was taking up someone's time or scent Sia, if you would rearrange the list, I'd be happy to order my own, since I adore Scentsucker and don't want someone to miss out because I am a plodding perfume tester

I have tentatively put scentsucker in the last spot (thanks elizrj!). I have messaged cacio to see if they would be willing to mail the samples to the UK when they are done testing them.

elizrj: I seem to sense perfumes like you do, I am not good at identifying notes but get a perfume more in pictures/story form. It's very subjective, I know. For example, Sarrassins for me was boom, immediately: "Cruella D'Eville" from 101 Dalmations.

Hah, SaNielsen, you crack me up with that. I've never tried Sarrassins, but now I have to, and the whole Cruella D'Eville song will be playing in my mind

Basenotes Institution

The package has been mailed to cello. Should be there early next week. 7 days was not that bad, right?

Ramon has arrived at Casa Cello The fun shall begin tomorrow, if not tonight.

Basenotes Institution

Good, thanks for letting us all know.

La Casa de Cello is smelling muy bueno, I am sure.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

Que linda nariz tiene! Can't wait to hear cello's thoughts.

Basenotes Institution

C'mon cello, we are waiting here. Please?

OK, OK, OK Twolf!! I got distracted this weekend, but I did wear two samples. And here are my thoughts.

I wonder if I picked out the two "nice" ones. But I bet Cotton Musk will be along the same lines.

Cherry Musk - I found this pleasant and very simple. It opened with cherry, and closed with a clean musk. In between, it really mostly smelled of cherries, but cherry pipe tobacco would not be far off. I was dissapointed somewhat, and I don't even know why, because I don't want to smell like cherries. I just did not find much here.

Ambre di Luna - Now, this one I liked, but I also continued to have the feeling that it was a simple and straightforward fragrance. Immediately amber, with a soft and slightly dirty and musky castoreum developing underneath. It reminded me of Ambre Russe without the vodka note. It continued softly and fairly close wearing, an almost airy feeling. It never approached the powdery or sufficatingly sweet heights that many ambers do, most likely due to a dry wood. I thought it smelled great, and I appreciated the care taken to make a "light" amber. But I don't think I would have to have it.
    Last edited by cello; 1st April 2013 at 03:21 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Great, thanks. Agree about both.

Today I wore Mon Patchouly. I am not quite through here, as this is rather long lasting. But this one is much more interesting!

There is a fresh, almost herbal slant going in that made me think we were headed into the herbal aspect of patchouli, but this quickly veered fruity patchouli, and quite sweet. BUT, it is still not without very interesting twists. There is an almost salty smell, like wind blown skin, maybe again almost herbal in nature. And there is possibly some indolic white florals blending in, jasmine per notes but I cannot distinguish a spicific identity, that is almost continuing the tropical vibe. And yet again, I am getting a fair amount of semi dirty musk in the drydown. This one was a shape shifter, smelling good and also interesting.

I need to wear this one more, and I need to spray it. It is confusing me, and is vastly interesting because of that

- - - Updated - - -

Lovely Day - I can totally see what TWolf is saying about this one. I found it silly, syrupy sweet, and thought of it as a simple fruity floral, but it did try to redeem itself by adding a contrasting interest, a bitterness (blackcurrent plus something) that attempted to keep it relavent. It is sort of a happy go lucky scent, almost unfocused.

Syrup sweet contrasted by bitter edge, then green tinged edgy but simple drydown. Hmmm. I did not enjoy this fragrance at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Entre Naranjos - this is a lovely little orange citrus, neroli floral and woody fragrance. I liked this very, very much, but i want to spray rather than dab. It turned very quiet on me after about 2 hours, but smelled wonderful when direct sniffing. I will explore this one further

P.S. It is April 3, and the auto update has beaten me. Could someone post a short something so that this thread shows on the forum page as updated. I am kind of talking to myself here
    Last edited by cello; 3rd April 2013 at 07:12 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Doing so as per your request, cello. Thanks for your impressions.

I agree the Monegal samples should be sprayers and that addenda should bump! I wish Entre Naranjos had been BIG CITRUS on me instead of a shy little kumquat. Liking your reviews, cello.

I received my sample pack of these yesterday, I can't wait to dip into them this weekend and compare to what you all are smelling.

Yes, elizrj, JOIN US!

As an aside, I recently tried Lutens' Mandarine Mandarin, and that complexity is what I was hoping for from Entre Naranjos.

Basenotes Plus

I smelled some just an hour ago at Neiman Marcus and picked up a bottle of Umbra, so I'll elaborate on that one- same for the Agar Musk sample they decanted for me.

The others I smelled were Entre Naranjos and I agree with Lisa as I was also expecting something more "biting" and complex. The other one I smelled was Cuirelle and was not impressed (but I didn't pay that much attention to it).

Basenotes Institution

Jaunderer, these were not even in this sample pack with the exception of Entre Naranjos. Lucky you, we do not have a Needless Markup nearby.

Yesterday I tried Kiss My Name, and it was pleasant enough. I should preface with the fact that I do not like tuberose, or really too many overt white florals, so dabbed on my arm was plenty for me.

It was soft and almost delicate, but true to the note. I found a tiny streak of green running through it, keeping it from becoming too thick and rich, and I appreciated this facet. Very nice, but just certainly not for me.

I am shipping these guys off tomorrow evening, Cotton Musk tomorrow. I enjoyed testing these out!

Basenotes Institution

IMO, it is always like that with tuberose -- you either like it or not, with one possible exception of L'Artisan Chasse au Papillions.

Thanks for posting. (I am trying to post something between your reviews.)

I was surpprised how much I liked Agar Musk (the name made me think of petri dishes). The samples not offered in this pass I had promised to a friend. Other than Agar Musk they just didn't make an impression on me -- probably because I've already found leather scents I like.

Oh, Twolf, I love me some tuberose but I just didn't like La Chasse au Papillons. Apparently I am also the one woman alive who loathes Chanel No.5.

I got a ginormous lot of samples on ebay recently and have been trying not to overload my schnoz. It's just so entertaining to find new delightful things (like Satellite's Paparadaschka -- which for sure I have spelled incorrectly). There was one last night called Tobaco Latino by Monotheme which my son called "Bassetts Licorice Allsorts with maple syrup poured on them", which was what I got, too. Nary a Tobaco in sight. This whole hobby is fascinating, and it is harmful to so few -- I am thnking of the jusband yelping "too strong" when some new thing is sprayed. He of the used-to-wear-Stetson-but-now-nothing school.

I'm so glad I picked up my own sample pack, because I can see this is going to take me a while!

So far, I've worn Entre Naranjos, dipped my toe in Kiss my Name, and today am wearing Impossible Iris. I'm a hard head (or is that nose) and it takes a few wearings to "get" the fragrance. So far there's nothing that I don't want to wear again. The interesting thing is that I never wear a fragrance to bed, and last night before I went to sleep I thought I'd just try a drop of Kiss my Name. Wow, that's one that I could probably see wearing to sleep. Actually, so far is Impossible Iris. Not because they bore me, but they're very comfortable.

Nothing has made me want a full bottle, but they definitely make me want to explore some more. I'll post up some more detailed impressions, I've just been back and forth reading reviews as I wear them and thought I'd see how everyone else was doing.

SaNielsen, I agree, and I am bogged down in a mountain of fragrant samples right now ... and how much do I love that mountain?! The packet of Ouds has been so much fun too!! Hope you're enjoying your ginormous lot!

thanks elizrj for the thoughts. Yes, I also think they are very pretty, so you will enjoy going through your samples I think. And I did find one or two that I will explore further. Entre Naranjos is one of them.

The sample went out yesterday to Kalli, so she will be sniffing these soon!

Thanks again, Lisa, for this opportunity.

Basenotes Plus

Thank you for your impressions, Twolf, cello & elizrj. I've had very little exposure to Ramon Monegal & your reviews are helping me hone in on the scents I might find the most appealing! Entre Naranjos & Mon Patchouly are in the lead so far.
    Note to Kalli: No, you can't skip Kiss My Name!

And most of all, thank you Lisa for organizing this pass. You have, in my opinion, done so much to bring our community together with your endless giveaways & sample passes. Your generosity has not gone unnoticed. I think you deserve the signature... *scenting the world -one basenoter at a time*