Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default ? Any interest in a Ramon Monegal sample pass (7 scents)

CLOSED. We're ready to start our sample pass:

Entre Naranjos
    Impossible Iris
    Lovely Day
    Cotton Musk
    Ambra di Luna
    L'Eau de Rose
    Mon Patchouly
    Kiss My Name
    Cherry Musk

Sharing of impressions welcome but optional. Stay fragrant my friends, Lisa

participants:

1. Twolf
    2. cello
    3. kalli
    4. bogsc
    5. Veroniche
    6. cacio
    7. scentsucker (if cacio can mail to UK) last tester, keeps the samples, spot given by elizrj
    Last edited by SaNielsen; 25th March 2013 at 01:36 PM.

Default Re: ? Any interest in a Ramon Monegal sample pass (7 scents)

Please include me in the pass (I have tried their Lovely Day and just got a sample of Impossible Iris that I have not had a chance to test-wear yet). I do not mind being the first one, in the middle of the country.

I was JUST thinking that I had never tried this line and really wanted to. Especially after hearing quite a few raves on Impossible Iris, and reading a review on the Entre Naranjos. But I do take forever with a scent. I need to wear it a couple times to try and get it. So maybe the best idea for me is to pick up a Discovery pack of my own, then I can weigh in on the thread too but not hold anyone else up.

What did you think of their line?

elizrj -- Please join the pass and save your $! You could be last in line and keep the samples for testing and retesting at your leisure.

The interesting thing about this line for me is that the scents I wanted to try the most (Entre Naranjos, Cuirelle, Ambra di Luna) just didn't do it for me, BUT the ones I kind of feared (Cherry Musk, Agar Musk) were very pleasant surprises. And Kiss My Name proved to me that I am a sucker for Tuberose.

Oh, SaNielsen, I would LOVE to be in on this one. I have Impossible Iris sample (did not care for it like I thought I would), and also the two leathers, but I would love to try the others.

I'm always up for a pts, but I'm monopolizing them. So put me down only if you don't get enough people.

cacio

I've tried half of these but interested in sniffing the half I haven't yet.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Welcome cello, cacio, and kalli! And there for a while I thought no one would be interested

There's maybe room for more folks, we'll see how it goes... Lisa

I'd love to be included if there is room! Let me know?

Carolyn

Welcome, Carolyn! Will be mailing to Twolf as soon as I get the address. Lisa

Can I be included, too? I am not from US, but I can send the samples back to America with no problem.

Hey there Lisa! Thanks for including me in the sample pass. I've been dying to try Monegal's leather scents and haven't gotten my hands on them yet so would love to hear what others think of them. Will be fun to explore other scents from this line while I continue trying to get my greedy little fingers on Cuirelle and Mon Cuir.

Waves to Twolf and Cello, who I've joined in other sample passes, and big hug to new buddy Veroniche, who just helped me with spring cleaning by taking some samples off my hands recently. Carolyn

Would one of you participants be willing to send to Veroniche outside the US?

Veroniche, where do you live?

I can send to veronika. I've done so successfully once. Carolyn

Thanks much, Carolyn! I've put Veroniche after you. We are closed to any more folks for now.

Thank you very much, ladies, and special thanks to Carolyn for introducing me to here and being so nice! Big hug to you, dear friend! :-)
    I live in Central Europe, Czech Republic (former Czechoslovakia). I just woke up to a new day and what a lovely start of the day to read this in the morning, thanks!
    I could sniff Ramon´s Ambra di Luna, and I loved it. Couldnt test it too properly though. I would absolutely love testing the others, RM seems to be very interesting house to me.
    Thanks a lot for this opportunity, SaNielsen.

Thank you so much Sia. I still am more than willing to pick up a sample pack, but I so appreciate you putting me last. I seem to take forever with a scent to get it. I'm not one of those people that can wear multiple scents in a day. Often I can still smell whatever I spritzed the next morning.

I'm so excited to try this line. I have to admit, the little inkwell bottles call to me.

thanks!

Samples mailed to Twolf today. -- may they find their way to you safely.

elizrj-- I'm also attracted to those inkwell bottles, would like to test one out. Lisa

Thank you, will let everyone know if and when.

Veronika, Trying to reach you with an e-mail but getting an error message that your inbox is too full. Can you PM me? Have some info for you. Carolyn

Carolyn, PM sent :-)

They have arrived in today's mail. I will start tomorrow, first thing in the morning. Thank you again.

- - - Updated - - -

Could not wait until the morning, applied Impossible Iris and Entre Naranjos on both wrists after the evening bath.

Twolf, I can't wait to hear your impressions. Especially since I am so interested in the two scents you tried right off!

Any chance these could come to the UK ladies? I could certainly pass them on within the UK.

I understand if the pass is completely full already!

Scentsucker -- maybe the last person on the list would be willing to send to the UK instead of keeping the samples. I find I can't lie to the postoffice...

Yay, Twolf! I'm looking forward to your impressions of Impossible Naranjo!

By now I have tried all nine of them and was able to gather my wits. The whole lineup strikes me as a happy hour (well, happy several days! Paying to get in is not the same as being invited, remember?), where you are enjoying something quite a bit for some time but have to bid adieu eventually. The fragrances are well constructed and use high quality ingredients, without too many obvious repetitions and sharp edges. A time-tested, back-to-basics approach to creating perfumes filled with sensitivity and pleasure? (On a funny note, I was puzzled as every one of the carded samples said Ramon Monegal Barcelona -- all nine of the same fragrance? Smelling so differently even on the cardboard?)

Impossible Iris -- yes, I still have my own sample and yet I tried this one with expectations (see my iris-related thoughts on a SotD thread last Saturday) with the only question in mind What makes this iris so impossible? By the end of the day -- and the fragrances lasted on me good 5-6 hours -- I think I know the answer. The scent is sweet, but not toothachingly so. The composition includes European yellow mimosa (yes, the tiny yellow fuzzy balls of acacia also found in L'Artisan Mimosa pour Moi and PdN Mimosaique and very much so in Bob Mackie Masquerade) that casts smooth green overtones and is very natural in its coolness, raspberry (I am so glad that perfumers experiment with this synthesized note more and more, and IMO it can either kill or make the whole composition, unfortunately it tends to simplify most of the exclusive bouquets in most cases but not here!) and violet (the note was quite pronounced on some reviewers). It dries down to the same muted florals with hints of dusty suede. Where is the iris? It simply is not there! I will be looking to buy a large decant of it simply because of the wonderful mimosa note. ++-

Cotton Musk -- how does a Spaniard know the smell of the starched sheets brought home from freeze-drying on a line outside? Apparently, very well! It could be an excellent smell for the laundry detergent: the contrast between crisp and soft, warm (almond cookies?) and cool (a few gardenias swimming in a bowl), very nice musk (and I do not do most of the modern musks) and great longevity. One of the ugly girls who passes as pretty through effort and association. For the high price of, perhaps, $18? -+-

Entre Naranjos -- the orange tree approached as a whole, with blossoms, fruit, leaves and bark. The concept is not new and, in general, I am a fan -- Garner James Jupiter to Juno occupied my skin (and mind!) the whole year of 2012. Here it is new delightful take on the existing notion, capturing every vicissitude of the entire orange tree with the precision of a brilliant documentary and the delicacy and strength of a poem. Remember the opening of the Eau de Rochas/Eau de Courreges/even O de Lancome? If you like the usual initial bite of neroli, Naranjos is YOURS! It also helps that it dries down to a very comfortable skin scent of blond woods, slightly on a masculine side. Minimalist composition but every component is well-placed. I will be buying a decant, instantly succumbed to its many charms. The name in Spanish is a plus for me too. ++-

Ambre di Luna -- a no good bada** bourgeoise dropping to her spouse's office furnished in 18th century antiques. During the short break between his important megabuck-making meetings. Wearing nothing under her full-length mink coat. Amber with vanilla and sandalwood, with rockrose (labdanum) and castoreum, all on the bed of jasmine petals. Niiiiiiiice! But, for the same effect I would choose Anne Pliska. Or, much rather, scrumptious, stunning and lucid Lorenzo Villoresi Alamut (oh when am I gonna get me a bottle of this last one and why oh why have not I done it already?) ++-

Lovely Day -- stylistically it reminds me of one of the weirder ELdO offerings, partly because of its blend of bravado and sincerity: young fresh dill, just clipped from the kitchen plot being chewed together with Tuttifrutti bubblegum. The green, almost pollen note lasts and lasts and its giddy generous energy hangs in the room. Not bad as a kitchen freshener. Less than boring is sometimes a good thing. ---

Twolf, I LOVE your reviews!!! Feel like I need to do a search of your user name and read through every review you've ever posted.

That's very kind of you. I like writing, although it takes me time. I have not posted too many reviews in the Directory because I am finicky and sometimes afraid of hurting other people's feelings.

- - - Updated - - -

L'Eau de Rose -- this a lemon rose cologne, quite pungent and with the roses I am not particularly fond of (white, angular, sharp). I also suspect there is an unhealthy doze of helional, the tinfoil aftertaste (LT calls it "silver spoon"), and a few ingredients from Cotton Musk used here. Done in a classic style that is neither dated, nor modern, free of popular faddism. Fragrances like this are important to understand our own preferences , to develop rhythm and rapport, and to create a background for other fragrances that appeal to me on many levels. Easier than fighting, vraiment? ---

Kiss My Name
    -- a tuberose-based scent, not creamy and not very sweet either. Green, fragile and, like a good deal of great tuberoses, with so many secrets unspoken. Instant chic without a trace of pretentiousness. A must try for every tuberose lover, as it can be both delightful and exasperating. +--

Cherry Musk
    -- another scent I was afraid to try because of the word "musk" and another one where musk is quite pleasant. An opposite of cheap and cheerful, a soft enveloping fragrance similar in feel to Hermessence Ambre Narguile, with vanilla, dry woods and hint of tobacco. There is also black cherry, quite realistic and done with the light hand. Smooth, charming, careful even. A little glad surprise, especially on a man I love. Will buy a larger decant, I think. Not for myself. LOL ++-

Mon Patchouly -- another enveloping cozy scent, almost gourmand with boozey vanilla, dry oakmoss and fruity patchouli light years away from Coco Mademoiselle and plethora of others with fruity patch. This one is a cautionary tale (they say it also about the city of Naples): smell it once -- hate it, smell it twice -- like it, smell it for the third time -- love it forever! Languid, to use for self, whispering and alluring. Will not buy. +--
    Last edited by Twolf; 24th March 2013 at 10:55 AM.

Wonderful, Twolf! I think ELdO should do a scent called "Less Than Boring".

Mrs. T, this is yet another example of why you have been, and always will be, my perfume mentor! While I sense things, you identify them head on

Here is my Sample of the Day entry last month of Impossible Iris, and I treat Sample of the Day quite literally - first sniff, first impression:

"The opening blast is very violet iris to me, sweet and sharp. It is headache inducing, like a shrill scream. There is little of the earthy or rooty aspect to be found here. It does subside a bit when the sweetness of the raspberry creeps in, but there is very little powder or softness during much of the duration of this scent. This perfume runs high on the treble, and grates on my nerves. Finally towards the end I sense a dose of powder or even some cooling vetiver maybe, and it calms.

I have read comparisons to F. Malle Iris Poudre, which I adore and own. While they both capture the floral and slightly sweet aspects of iris, Iris Poudre integrates and balances all aspects of iris for a much more facinating ride. Impossible Iris seems to pick it's prettiness and stick with it. It is a somewhat linear perfume."

Guess what the grating note most likely was? Mimosa! And to a lesser extent, violet. I did not identify or recognize it, but mimosa is a note I struggle with as shrill rather than your "cool and green". Ironically, your example of the PdN Mimosaique is the only fragrance of that note that I have liked, as I found it smoothed out and integrated. I sampled that one with the intention of coming to terms with the little mimosa that irritates me to no end So I look forward to sniffing Impossible Iris again with all this in mind.

Lesson learned from a Basenote mentor! Great reviews. I look forward to my comparisons of the others.
    Last edited by cello; 23rd March 2013 at 06:28 PM.

Basenotes Plus

I should lurk the Female Fragrance Discussion board move. I would have loved to get in on this one as Ramon Monegal's line is one I've been wanting to try.

Looking forward to more reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    I should lurk the Female Fragrance Discussion board move. I would have loved to get in on this one as Ramon Monegal's line is one I've been wanting to try.

Yes! You should visit us more often, as we do a lot of sample passes, and we love the guys to join in

Lo siento, Juan! Maybe someday I'll get another sample set and do it again. Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Yes! You should visit us more often, as we do a lot of sample passes, and we love the guys to join in
    Oh, I definitely will.
    Quote Originally Posted by SaNielsen View Post
    Lo siento, Juan! Maybe someday I'll get another sample set and do it again. Lisa
    No worries, Lisa. I'm hoping to get a sample pass going myself. These are fun!

Cello, dear, you are making me blush. You are an experienced nose yourself and you have a nice way with your words too (now I need to find me a wearable leather for this skin, too). Iris Poudre is a benchmark here too, the one that all other irises get compared to vs. against.

Juan, right now there are more than one pass opened right here on the Ladies'side.
    Last edited by Twolf; 24th March 2013 at 10:18 AM.

Interesting, that you didn't get any iris in the iris scent? I don't remember the mimosa, will have to re-sniff it.

Nice reviews and who cares if other people's feelings get hurt, review what you wish I say. They will get over it or they simply don't have to read your stuff. People have different tastes and appreciate different things.

So overall, you seem to like the Monegal's. I am impressed with his work, he should get perfumer of the year for 2012, imo. Or at least some kind of tidbit, lol.

Ambra Di Luna is nice, even though the animalics make my nose a bit unhappy. I apply it with a light hand because of that.
    Last edited by kalli; 24th March 2013 at 08:23 AM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Twolf, I loved reading your reviews! They are so well worded, so well thought out. Beautiful to read and will be nice to come back to as I go through the scents.

Cello, it was lovely reading your review of the Impossible Iris as well. I think you are both very experienced. I tend to flounder, I cannot identify notes. My nose tends to take in the entire scent like a tornado and spits it out as an image or an emotion. It becomes an experience, a roller coaster, a walk along the beach, a riotous karaoke party, a moonlit night with fireflies blinking. I cannot pick out the individual components. I hope to work on that this year, so I can identify what it is about a scent I love or hate, but for now, I am terrible at it.

Scentsucker, I will gladly give you my spot in line. I had been considering ordering a sample set of my own so I could take my time with them. As I said above, it takes me a long time to get a scent. I need at least a few wearings. And I would love to enjoy the process without feeling that I was taking up someone's time or scent Sia, if you would rearrange the list, I'd be happy to order my own, since I adore Scentsucker and don't want someone to miss out because I am a plodding perfume tester

I have tentatively put scentsucker in the last spot (thanks elizrj!). I have messaged cacio to see if they would be willing to mail the samples to the UK when they are done testing them.

elizrj: I seem to sense perfumes like you do, I am not good at identifying notes but get a perfume more in pictures/story form. It's very subjective, I know. For example, Sarrassins for me was boom, immediately: "Cruella D'Eville" from 101 Dalmations.

Hah, SaNielsen, you crack me up with that. I've never tried Sarrassins, but now I have to, and the whole Cruella D'Eville song will be playing in my mind

The package has been mailed to cello. Should be there early next week. 7 days was not that bad, right?

Ramon has arrived at Casa Cello The fun shall begin tomorrow, if not tonight.

Good, thanks for letting us all know.

La Casa de Cello is smelling muy bueno, I am sure.

Que linda nariz tiene! Can't wait to hear cello's thoughts.

C'mon cello, we are waiting here. Please?

OK, OK, OK Twolf!! I got distracted this weekend, but I did wear two samples. And here are my thoughts.

I wonder if I picked out the two "nice" ones. But I bet Cotton Musk will be along the same lines.

Cherry Musk - I found this pleasant and very simple. It opened with cherry, and closed with a clean musk. In between, it really mostly smelled of cherries, but cherry pipe tobacco would not be far off. I was dissapointed somewhat, and I don't even know why, because I don't want to smell like cherries. I just did not find much here.

Ambre di Luna - Now, this one I liked, but I also continued to have the feeling that it was a simple and straightforward fragrance. Immediately amber, with a soft and slightly dirty and musky castoreum developing underneath. It reminded me of Ambre Russe without the vodka note. It continued softly and fairly close wearing, an almost airy feeling. It never approached the powdery or sufficatingly sweet heights that many ambers do, most likely due to a dry wood. I thought it smelled great, and I appreciated the care taken to make a "light" amber. But I don't think I would have to have it.
    Last edited by cello; 1st April 2013 at 03:21 PM.

Great, thanks. Agree about both.

Today I wore Mon Patchouly. I am not quite through here, as this is rather long lasting. But this one is much more interesting!

There is a fresh, almost herbal slant going in that made me think we were headed into the herbal aspect of patchouli, but this quickly veered fruity patchouli, and quite sweet. BUT, it is still not without very interesting twists. There is an almost salty smell, like wind blown skin, maybe again almost herbal in nature. And there is possibly some indolic white florals blending in, jasmine per notes but I cannot distinguish a spicific identity, that is almost continuing the tropical vibe. And yet again, I am getting a fair amount of semi dirty musk in the drydown. This one was a shape shifter, smelling good and also interesting.

I need to wear this one more, and I need to spray it. It is confusing me, and is vastly interesting because of that

- - - Updated - - -

Lovely Day - I can totally see what TWolf is saying about this one. I found it silly, syrupy sweet, and thought of it as a simple fruity floral, but it did try to redeem itself by adding a contrasting interest, a bitterness (blackcurrent plus something) that attempted to keep it relavent. It is sort of a happy go lucky scent, almost unfocused.

Syrup sweet contrasted by bitter edge, then green tinged edgy but simple drydown. Hmmm. I did not enjoy this fragrance at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Entre Naranjos - this is a lovely little orange citrus, neroli floral and woody fragrance. I liked this very, very much, but i want to spray rather than dab. It turned very quiet on me after about 2 hours, but smelled wonderful when direct sniffing. I will explore this one further

P.S. It is April 3, and the auto update has beaten me. Could someone post a short something so that this thread shows on the forum page as updated. I am kind of talking to myself here
    Last edited by cello; 3rd April 2013 at 07:12 PM.

Doing so as per your request, cello. Thanks for your impressions.

I agree the Monegal samples should be sprayers and that addenda should bump! I wish Entre Naranjos had been BIG CITRUS on me instead of a shy little kumquat. Liking your reviews, cello.

I received my sample pack of these yesterday, I can't wait to dip into them this weekend and compare to what you all are smelling.

Yes, elizrj, JOIN US!

As an aside, I recently tried Lutens' Mandarine Mandarin, and that complexity is what I was hoping for from Entre Naranjos.

Basenotes Plus

I smelled some just an hour ago at Neiman Marcus and picked up a bottle of Umbra, so I'll elaborate on that one- same for the Agar Musk sample they decanted for me.

The others I smelled were Entre Naranjos and I agree with Lisa as I was also expecting something more "biting" and complex. The other one I smelled was Cuirelle and was not impressed (but I didn't pay that much attention to it).

Jaunderer, these were not even in this sample pack with the exception of Entre Naranjos. Lucky you, we do not have a Needless Markup nearby.

Yesterday I tried Kiss My Name, and it was pleasant enough. I should preface with the fact that I do not like tuberose, or really too many overt white florals, so dabbed on my arm was plenty for me.

It was soft and almost delicate, but true to the note. I found a tiny streak of green running through it, keeping it from becoming too thick and rich, and I appreciated this facet. Very nice, but just certainly not for me.

I am shipping these guys off tomorrow evening, Cotton Musk tomorrow. I enjoyed testing these out!

IMO, it is always like that with tuberose -- you either like it or not, with one possible exception of L'Artisan Chasse au Papillions.

Thanks for posting. (I am trying to post something between your reviews.)

I was surpprised how much I liked Agar Musk (the name made me think of petri dishes). The samples not offered in this pass I had promised to a friend. Other than Agar Musk they just didn't make an impression on me -- probably because I've already found leather scents I like.

Oh, Twolf, I love me some tuberose but I just didn't like La Chasse au Papillons. Apparently I am also the one woman alive who loathes Chanel No.5.

I got a ginormous lot of samples on ebay recently and have been trying not to overload my schnoz. It's just so entertaining to find new delightful things (like Satellite's Paparadaschka -- which for sure I have spelled incorrectly). There was one last night called Tobaco Latino by Monotheme which my son called "Bassetts Licorice Allsorts with maple syrup poured on them", which was what I got, too. Nary a Tobaco in sight. This whole hobby is fascinating, and it is harmful to so few -- I am thnking of the jusband yelping "too strong" when some new thing is sprayed. He of the used-to-wear-Stetson-but-now-nothing school.

I'm so glad I picked up my own sample pack, because I can see this is going to take me a while!

So far, I've worn Entre Naranjos, dipped my toe in Kiss my Name, and today am wearing Impossible Iris. I'm a hard head (or is that nose) and it takes a few wearings to "get" the fragrance. So far there's nothing that I don't want to wear again. The interesting thing is that I never wear a fragrance to bed, and last night before I went to sleep I thought I'd just try a drop of Kiss my Name. Wow, that's one that I could probably see wearing to sleep. Actually, so far is Impossible Iris. Not because they bore me, but they're very comfortable.

Nothing has made me want a full bottle, but they definitely make me want to explore some more. I'll post up some more detailed impressions, I've just been back and forth reading reviews as I wear them and thought I'd see how everyone else was doing.

SaNielsen, I agree, and I am bogged down in a mountain of fragrant samples right now ... and how much do I love that mountain?! The packet of Ouds has been so much fun too!! Hope you're enjoying your ginormous lot!

thanks elizrj for the thoughts. Yes, I also think they are very pretty, so you will enjoy going through your samples I think. And I did find one or two that I will explore further. Entre Naranjos is one of them.

The sample went out yesterday to Kalli, so she will be sniffing these soon!

Thanks again, Lisa, for this opportunity.

Thank you for your impressions, Twolf, cello & elizrj. I've had very little exposure to Ramon Monegal & your reviews are helping me hone in on the scents I might find the most appealing! Entre Naranjos & Mon Patchouly are in the lead so far.
    Note to Kalli: No, you can't skip Kiss My Name!

And most of all, thank you Lisa for organizing this pass. You have, in my opinion, done so much to bring our community together with your endless giveaways & sample passes. Your generosity has not gone unnoticed. I think you deserve the signature... *scenting the world -one basenoter at a time*