Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default The Independent talks to Olivier Creed

I have been away for a while trying to fervently consume my vast stash of perfume bottles and samples (my word, the quantity is mindboggling..), but I saw this article online and thought I should share. It contains lots of snippets of Creed information that some of us may have been privy to over the years. If nothing else, its worth looking at because of a new Olivier Creed pic.

A snippet:

"Can you imagine," I ask Creed, "coming across Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse when the only products you knew were things like Old Spice?"

"Hang on a minute," Creed says. "You know, a lot of those old classics, like Old Spice, were really very good."

"I think the first real foreign aftershave I remember was Agua Brava, from Puig of Barcelona."

"Well there again, Agua Brava was very well balanced and carefully produced. It isn't, as you suggest, a luxury product, but you know, naming no names, these days there are some really dreadful fragrances marketed at ridiculous prices, by elitist manufacturers."

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...t-8513595.html
    -

Default Re: The Independent talks to Olivier Creed

Thanks for the link.

Yes, yes. Love this item. The honorable Mr. Creed is full of wit and verve. Obviously a knowledgeable chap, with highly refined tastes. British press does stuff like this very well. Love the writer's character and style, too. Thanks for bringing this link back up to the top.

Thanks folks - I thought Olivier Creeds response when asked about Luca Turin (possibly) dissing him personally was rather respectable.
    -

Banned

Sensei Master Perfumer Olivier Creed Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I thought Olivier Creeds response when asked about Luca Turin (possibly) dissing him personally was rather respectable.
    Exactly - best part of the item, IMO.

Thanks folks - I thought Olivier Creeds response when asked about Luca Turin (possibly) dissing him personally was rather respectable.
    Luca who? Lol, I see he mentioned you as well zztopp. He enjoys listening to your soothing voice while driving.

A nice read. Thanks and hope you come back regularly!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

"We've always had a lot of singers, actors and artists," Creed says. "And perhaps people who are slightly… different. If you wear a Dior product that sells millions of bottles, you're not different – you're the same."

Douche

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Thanks - I am still 7(!!) bottles away from being back regularly
    -

Good article.

Quote Originally Posted by alexwagner View Post
    "We've always had a lot of singers, actors and artists," Creed says. "And perhaps people who are slightly… different. If you wear a Dior product that sells millions of bottles, you're not different – you're the same."

Douche
    Hilariously hypocritical since he boasts about Creed have annual sales of over a million later in the article (and I say that as someone completely neutral in regards to Creed as a company/house).

Creed made Old Spice?

treeman5823

"Well there again, Agua Brava was very well balanced and carefully produced. It isn't, as you suggest, a luxury product, but you know, naming no names, these days there are some really dreadful fragrances marketed at ridiculous prices, by elitist manufacturers."
    I smell hypocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    I smell hypocrisy.
    I'd heard that some customers come to him and have a formula tailor-made for them. It does happen, he admits, looking cagey. "But there's a waiting list." He will offer this service to only half-a-dozen individuals a year. He won't say who the privileged few are, or how much they pay, but Madonna and Gérard Depardieu are believed to have been among them, and the price is rumoured to be in the region of £10,000.

"Are there any more recent clients you'd like to mention?"

At this point he becomes positively bashful.

"Well … Michelle Obama is a regular customer," he says, when pressed. "But then so is Laura Bush."
    And he's calling others elitist HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Seconded . You've been conspicuous by your absence - glad to see you treading the boards again.

I take the interview with a (tiny) grain of ambergris. Seriously, it surprised me to hear that he carries around a handkerchief with patchouli on it, because so few Creed scents have any detectable amount of patchouli in them. However, the most important point I think that should be made here involves the concept of "luxury goods." Creed mentioned the cost of some materials, but one does not need to use those materials in order to create a scent that smells great. If we assume that what he says is true about spending ten times more on materials than many other (and well-known) companies, and leaving aside how much more packaging and other things cost (relative to the cost of the actual liquid inside the bottles), what are we to make of the situation? Some people seem to want to think they are special, so they can seek out his scents that contain these expensive ingredients (again, assuming his claims are accurate). Others (who can barely afford one or two Creed bottles. perhaps), can decide for themselves is this is accurate and if so, it matters to them.

What I've found, in fact, is that some of these ingredients, if used in large amounts, are actually a distraction, tending to unbalance the composition. Thus, IMO, one needs to discuss the skill of the perfumer, regardless of the ingredient quality. Yesterday I wore the new formulation of Azuree, and just couldn't believe how good it is. I have yet sample a Creed scent that I believe to be as good (I've tried at least a dozen of them), the point being that ingredient quality is only one of several important criteria for assessing a scent. And since he claims not to know who Luca Turin is, this interview seems to confirm something I have thought for a while now, which is that many of these people are rather isolated, and are not really thinking about aficionados when they concoct their potions, though it does seem that they would really like to be able to say that a famous person wears their scents.

Interesting read.

Of course he knows who Luca Turin is Bigsly.

Of course he knows who Luca Turin is Bigsly.
    "When I read Luca Turin's book," I say to Creed, "I got the feeling that he dislikes you personally. Have you offended him in some way?"

"Luca who?" Creed asks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    "When I read Luca Turin's book," I say to Creed, "I got the feeling that he dislikes you personally. Have you offended him in some way?"

"Luca who?" Creed asks.

Quote Originally Posted by weylin View Post
    The author gave no indication that it was meant to be sarcastic. Regardless, Creed's emphasis on the quality of certain ingredients rather than other factors suggests that he views his creations as "luxury" (along with his comment about Agua Brava), which is fine, but is not consistent with the aficionado mentality.

Am I the only one who noticed that Luca Turin posted a comment on that article?

I take the interview with a (tiny) grain of ambergris. Seriously, it surprised me to hear that he carries around a handkerchief with patchouli on it, because so few Creed scents have any detectable amount of patchouli in them.
    first thing that came to mind, given prior descriptions of his habits, was "Olivier is working on scent which contains Geranium, Vetiver, and patchouli", something like a rounder, earthier, more citrusy (it's creed, of course) version of Ropion's Geranium Pour Monsieur.

The author gave no indication that it was meant to be sarcastic. Regardless, Creed's emphasis on the quality of certain ingredients rather than other factors suggests that he views his creations as "luxury" (along with his comment about Agua Brava), which is fine, but is not consistent with the aficionado mentality.
    Wasn't taking a jab at you Bigsly and yes the interview is full of hypocrisy.

- - - Updated - - -

Luca Turins reply

If Mr Creed is a perfumer, I'm a pharmacologist.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    I smell hypocrisy.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing when I read that little tidbit...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

- - - Updated - - -

Luca Turins reply

No offense taken; everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Good to see you around here again, zztopp! Wonderful article with pointed digs hitting home runs, lol. Also nice to see Turin posting in the comments section.

I like Creed fragrance style in general but a good fragrance speaks for itself. I can't believe Oliver Creed still feels the need to rehash the 'fragrance favored by royalty/celebrities' schtick every chance he gets. It's such a turn off. Perhaps that other comment was spot on: bloody snake oil mechant. Lmao.
    Currently wearing: 31 rue Cambon by Chanel

Good article, above average company, decent Nose...too bad the freaking Creed Cheerleaders kill it all for me. I'll quietly wear my GIT, and if anyone asks, I'll tell them it's Cool Water...

- - - Updated - - -

Luca Turins reply

I think it shows the the difference in positive attitude between the two people that Turin chose not to reply to Olivier Creed's request that he would like to meet him but instead chose to post another public snarky comment
    -