Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by EndlesslySurprised View Post
    "I have never pursued wealth for its own sake. Creed fragrances are cheap, frankly." (The average retail price for a bottle is 145.) "If I aimed for the same profit margins as some of the famous fragrance houses, who pay a tenth of what we do for raw materials, we would have to charge 10 times the price they do. But we aren't 10 times as expensive as them, or anything like it."

Mr. Creed advances the idea that his fragrances are, "frankly," cheap. He's undercharging us, possibly out of the goodness of his heart.

Would somebody more professional than us, simple perfume lovers, offer an articulate/detailed commentary on that bold assertion?
    Broadly speaking this interview is a huge hot fresh steaming pile of BS. Welk actually not so fresh. All the typical Creed PR talking points, naturals, skewed history, celeb name dropping, OC as master perfumer. How he keeps a straight face amazes me.
    It is true however that profit margins for mass market frags are much greater than for quality niche. Economics of scale and in some cases a greater investment in fragrance construction and materials. Though Creeds since GIT have hardly been more natural than anything else in that price bracket. That interviewer must have had a pretty brown proboscis when he was done...

sent from a mobile device - please excuse any swelling mistakes

Default Re: The Independent talks to Olivier Creed

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Broadly speaking this interview is a huge hot fresh steaming pile of BS. Welk actually not so fresh. All the typical Creed PR talking points, naturals, skewed history, celeb name dropping, OC as master perfumer. How he keeps a straight face amazes me.
    It is true however that profit margins for mass market frags are much greater than for quality niche. Economics of scale and in some cases a greater investment in fragrance construction and materials. Though Creeds since GIT have hardly been more natural than anything else in that price bracket. That interviewer must have had a pretty brown proboscis when he was done...

And people wonder why Creed is such a divisive brand when we read this trash.

What precisely do you disagree with and based on what? Thank you.

When reading the article, I kept looking for the Advertisement disclaimer in the header and footer.

"...In an industry with an unrivalled reputation for vacuous hype, the House of Creed has thrived on a different strategy: being, and remaining, magnificent..."

I doubt many would describe the article as objective journalism.

Seriously now Basenoters, calm down. It's a newspaper feature article. Not investigative journalism. Not a fragrance trade report. This kind of stuff is intended as a light read in the newspaper's lifestyle section. The writer is well aware of the notion that few of the newspaper's readers have ever heard of Creed, and most of them probably couldn't care less about fine fragrance. In terms of journalistic quality, this piece far surpasses what goes as feature writing in most U.S. newspapers. It's an amusing, light read. Mr. Creed displays a wicked sense of humor here, in my opinion. Overall, a well-done item that fulfills the objectives of this kind of writing. Reasonably informative, and good for a chuckle, too.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 15th March 2013 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Can't believe the interviewer didn't ask him where he harvested his royal pineapples
    I wear Aventus almost daily...and even though you were probably kidding, I wondered the exact same thing.

Creed for me is not an elitist thing, I just like the 6 bottles I have. However, this article seems to have been one giant marketing piece. I'm good with that. He's not putting sample strips in gentleman's magazines...and he has to find some intelligent method of selling his product.

I don't care that a fragrance has "Royal Pineapple" or Mysore Sandlewood. In fact, whenever somone asks me what I'm wearing, I rattle off the exact pyramid...it's a running joke, but the stuff does smell good to my nose, even if the ingredient list is embelished.
    "All of my 2012 batches of Aventus smell EXACTLY the same...even the grey market one with an Arabic lot sticker on the bottom of the bottle." - BT260

I have read and see these kinds of interviews in most newspapers......British, Canadian, American. The Guardian may be the only exception. I really don't get why some of the reactions here are in such offence to the interview or are pretending that it is just the newpapers of today that produces such articles. This is actually pretty tame. The newpaper stands are littered with tabloids. This is perfume we are talking about. At the end of the day, Creed doesn't go out of their way to make life miserable for other fragrances companies.

I also think it is pretty obvious that Creed was being facetious when saying "Luca who?". Come on Bigsly.

I am sort of in the anti-Creed camp. I was actually enjoying reading the recent threads with posters making fun of them ( although I quite enjoy Orange Spice and see many of their fragrances as OK). But this is just silly.

PS : welcome back zztopp. Always enjoy your posts.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    ...I also think it is pretty obvious that Creed was being facetious when saying "Luca who?". Come on Bigsly...
    I am glad to hear that you are proud of your own opinions. However, I am not familiar with this publication and the interview seemed straightforward. Creed is described as elegant yet they supply a picture of him that is anything but, IMO; was that meant to be sarcastic as well? Overall, I did not detect sarcasm in the article and the interviewer did not follow up on the comment you believe to be sarcastic, which is what most people (forget journalists specifically) do in that sort of situation. A person might say, "seriously, I'd like to know what you think about him." At this point, I have decided to dismiss the whole article as something I shouldn't have bothered to waste my time on in the first place, so I will now bow out of this thread, with elegance !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I have read and see these kinds of interviews in most newspapers......British, Canadian, American. The Guardian may be the only exception. I really don't get why some of the reactions here are in such offence to the interview or are pretending that it is just the newpapers of today that produces such articles. This is actually pretty tame. The newpaper stands are littered with tabloids. This is perfume we are talking about. At the end of the day, Creed doesn't go out of their way to make life miserable for other fragrances companies.

I also think it is pretty obvious that Creed was being facetious when saying "Luca who?". Come on Bigsly.

I am sort of in the anti-Creed camp. I was actually enjoying reading the recent threads with posters making fun of them ( although I quite enjoy Orange Spice and see many of their fragrances as OK). But this is just silly.

PS : welcome back zztopp. Always enjoy your posts.
    Agree.

I'm not really a fan of Creed, I find many of their offerings redundant and overpriced. i believe this article confirms the Mr. Creed is quite arrogant, but thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I am glad to hear that you are proud of your own opinions. However, I am not familiar with this publication and the interview seemed straightforward. Creed is described as elegant yet they supply a picture of him that is anything but, IMO; was that meant to be sarcastic as well? Overall, I did not detect sarcasm in the article and the interviewer did not follow up on the comment you believe to be sarcastic, which is what most people (forget journalists specifically) do in that sort of situation. A person might say, "seriously, I'd like to know what you think about him." At this point, I have decided to dismiss the whole article as something I shouldn't have bothered to waste my time on in the first place, so I will now bow out of this thread, with elegance !
    When did I say I was proud of my own opinions ? I suppose we all are.

I'll bow out of this thread with elegance as well.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I wish Tom and I could have fielded some questions about the origin of Creed scents

Other frags are elitist yet I call myself a master perfumer LOL

I shall bow out of this thread even though I never even posted in it.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post

Thank you for your answer. Hopefully somebody of a different opinion might actually find, some day, some arguments to answer yours.

Thanks ZZ. It was a good and interesting read. Martin

Just another Creed's advertising disguised as an online article!

Good article. Bringdown thread....
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

'a dismal Bach fugue'

SAY WHAT????

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Can't believe the interviewer didn't ask him where he harvested his royal pineapples
    Precisely! The most laughable thing is his obsession with Royalty (and celebrity Royalty) and also his assertion that his products are reasonably priced. Oh dear.

Lazy, humourless interview!

Last edited by lpp; 15th March 2013 at 09:02 PM.

like some Creed stuff
    who wears what...who cares..I wear what I like...
    "The Exodus is here... The Happy Ones are near..Let's get together before we get much older!"
    - Pete Townshend