Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default SOTD Thursday, March 14

Hello everyone and thank you for all your lovely anniversary wishes! John and I enjoyed a cozy dinner at home last night.

SOTD is Gabriele Strehle Strenesse.

Wish you all a very good day.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: SOTD Thursday, March 14

Good morning !. Terry, glad to hear the anniversary celebrations went well - sounds like a very nice evening indeed.

SotD is Tobacco Vanille.

Happy Birthday Baldufita

Morning All,

Jon - I was really sorry to hear yesterday that 'your' place on the Isles of Scilly has gone under. I really feel for those who are losing their jobs, too.

One thing and another kept me up till the wee small hours, so I'm a bit scattered today. Weirdly, went with a sample of Molecule 01. There's something that keeps drawing me back to it...

Have a great Thursday, gang.

Hello all. EL Private Collection.
    DONNA

Vintage Diorissimo by Christian Dior.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Bonjour!
    vintage EDP

Good morning. Retrieved a package from the Post Office, chock full of wonderful fragrance-related goodies and went overboard last night: Jo Malone Red Roses+YSL Paris Premieres Roses+Chanel 1932. Many many thanks to a kind BN friend, and honestly -- I do not know what I woulda, coulda and shoulda done without the whole community.

A friend stopped by and shared our supper -- was first time eating couscous for him, he said not the last time either (mind you, most men our age in this area are habitual and non-adventurous eaters: potatoes, meat and bread type, skip the veggies please, you all know them LOL).

Today I am wearing the new(er) Lancome La Vie est Belle -- another yet pleasant variation on Euphoria/John Varvatos/Coco Mademoiselle theme, not bad at all.
    Last edited by Twolf; 14th March 2013 at 11:56 AM.

Hello everyone -

I'm in Paco Rabanne Metal, vintage edt. Y'all have a good day!

Happy Birthday to dear ((Baldufita)), just in case you peek in ...but you'd better say "hello" if you do! I hope you've been very well and having a fabulous time, especially today.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 14th March 2013 at 11:57 AM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Donna Karen Black Cashmere. Best to you all! X

A belated Happy Birthday to all of our celebrants. Have a wonderful and fragrant year each and every one! Happy Anniversary to the tdems. Here's to many more!

Well G, you and I agree about the Molecule One. It is just a great smell, haunting, ghostly, woody, Iris-y. I can't help but like it too.

Jon, sorry to hear your bad news yesterday. You sounded really down in the dumps.

Dunno today. This and that.

Good morning and happy Pi day to everyone. Somewhat appropriately scented in Mure et Musc Extreme, I sure missed this while I didn't have it. I am not a scent monogamist (obviously) but if I were, well, poly I guess, this is one of my regulars. It's just such a good balance and safe for work.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Good morning and Happy Birthday to Baldufita-- where've you been, girl? Hopefully you will stop into BN on your birthday.

SotD is Goutal La Violette.

Testing Frederic Malle Dries Van Noten today

Tomorrow is the day when I'll be re-taking the exam I failed in the exam session in February. Please think about me and keep your fingers and toes crossed for me!

Happy Thursday all.

Quarry, I loved reading your post last night, dreaming of England. I watch all those programs too, dreaming of a day I could relocate to somewhere exotic, warm, exciting, instead of dreary winter skies for months upon months. I also wish I had the funds to just travel as I desired. No way should I complain, since I do have a company trip down the Blue Danube in May. But I so long to see London, Paris, Tuscany, Rome, Egypt, China, I could go on and on. I guess I will need to start playing the lottery

My scent today is Kelly Calèche by Hermès. I haven't worn it in quite a while and right now it's at the stage where you wonder "hmmm, why did I need a full bottle rather than just a decant/sample".

The molecules that make Jicky Extrait for me today. I must say a friend of mine wore the Molecule 01 magnificiently. I always liked it on him.
    Best to all

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

lucasai, we will be thinking of you. Be sure to get a good night's sleep tonight and eat a balanced breakfast before leaving home in the morning. Carbs for the brain, protein and fat to make the energy last, fluids to keep you hydrated.

Thumbs up Re: SOTD Thursday, March 14

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Encre Noire

Black Oud Extrait by LM Parfums

Lucasi, best of luck on your exam!! I will be thinking of you. Deep breaths, don't panic, once panic set in, my mind would freeze up. I always would take a deep breath, say a prayer, remind myself that all would be ok, then flip over the exam and start.

You can do it!! We will be cheering you on

Good afternoon.

Cuir Ottoman for me today.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Chanel 31 rue Cambon for me today, since I skipped it yesterday with a waivering hand.

Twolf, any thoughts on the 1932? I really like it as an easy wear scent. It will be a spring and summer staple I think.

queen of the universe

Trying to hurry spring along with Caron Fleurs de Rocaille. This wasn't love at first sniff—florals seldom are for me—but three days in I am blissed out by it's springy vibe. Lots of muguet to this nose.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by lucasai View Post
    Tomorrow is the day when I'll be re-taking the exam I failed in the exam session in February. Please think about me and keep your fingers and toes crossed for me!

Kenneth Cole ~ RSVP

Hi everyone!

Amouage Rose and Sandalwood attars for me today.

Blog Entries

Afternoon all, & Many Happy Returns to Baldufita!

Lucasai, l will be keeping everything crossed for you, do take Roses' sage advice!

Jon, l do hope you feel a little better today.

SOTD was the last of my sample of Geisha Rouge, for a bright & frosty morning.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Jon - I was really sorry to hear yesterday that 'your' place on the Isles of Scilly has gone under. I really feel for those who are losing their jobs, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    Jon, sorry to hear your bad news yesterday. You sounded really down in the dumps.
    I suppose we just have to be philosophical under the current economic climate and accept that these things will happen. I have spoken with one or two friends there already and they have other irons in the fire, so there is some hope for a a potential silver lining.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Jon, l do hope you feel a little better today.
    Thanks, I do

SotE - Canali Black Diamond.

Lucasai, you are in my thoughts. Usually things are easier the second time around, hopefully this holds true for you today.

Basenotes Institution

Good luck lucasai!

Got COLD again last night / this morning. Had to meet Comcast at my new place, 1st thing in the morning, to install internet (so I can go on BN when I am home!) and I had the incorrect modem/router (damnit!) but we came up with a resolution and I have internet tonight. Yay!

Busy day at the office, then the gym, then dinner with a friend, then a massage tonight.

Needing (and enjoying) the intensely complex:

Shalimar (vintage Parfum de Toilette) by Guerlain

"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Evening Everybody,

Good luck tomorrow, Lucasai.
    Back in the comforting embrace of Jicky tonight - PdT concentration to match Mike.
    Best to all.

Must de Cartier.

Twolf, did you like the 1932? Haven't tried it yet..lol, seems cello and I were both wondering.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    I have spoken with one or two friends there already and they have other irons in the fire, so there is some hope for a a potential silver lining.
    Oh, I hope this means good news is in the works! I'm wishing hard for absolutely spectacular accomodations to fall into place for you!

(((Lucas))), you're in my thoughts, have been all week. I know you've been studying your hardest! Remember, we have every reason to believe this time will be better. Best of luck, sweetie!

I'm such a lucky lady in my No.5 vintage EDC today. Lovely scent which is all the better because it comes with association of the loveliest of friends- thank you, Whitefluffy!
    The nose wants what it wants!

Today I'm in Gucci No 3

10211588.jpg

Jon, I'm in love with Spanish and Chilean wines right now -- grenaches (as a varietal and not a blend), tempranillos, and carmeneres .... Yum! What do you have planned for wine o'clock tomorrow? Also, I'm hoping we see a few photos from your trip to NZ!

G, my significant other just purchased a full bottle of Molecule 01 even though he can't smell it when he wears it, other than a faint whiff every now and then. I, however, nearly swoon whenever he wears it. So I can confidently say YOU SMELL MAHVELOUS, DAHLING!

Twolf, I suspect I'd eat anything you chose to put in front of me. How do you prefer flavor couscous? Do you add any vegetables to it?

((((((Quarry)))))) [translation: massively HUGE hugs!] Thank you so much for your post last night about England (and the lovely birthday wishes the day before ) Now you (and elizrj!) have gone and put me in a traveling state of mind! I think my first-ever trip to Paris will have to wait until next year as I wrap up the last of the financial consequences of my divorce and house sale. But there are plenty of options here at home, and I may just look into a few of them. (Door County, Wisconsin is on my list, btw)

Lucas, you have my best wishes for calmness, clear thinking, easy recollection, and -- most of all -- confidence! Test well. You can do this!

The sun is out, temps are in the 50s, and the snow is melting fast. Une Fleur de Cassie seems right for today. A little bit of the skank of winter amid the sunshine of coming spring.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post

G, my significant other just purchased a full bottle of Molecule 01 even though he can't smell it when he wears it, other than a faint whiff every now and then. I, however, nearly swoon whenever he wears it. So I can confidently say YOU SMELL MAHVELOUS, DAHLING!
    Oh, you are sweet. And fine smelling (you know I love me a little bit o skank)

Blog Entries

SOTE is lncense Extreme on the left arm, & lncense Rose on the right, from my samples.

Jon, glad to hear you're feeling more hopeful today.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    Jon, I'm in love with Spanish and Chilean wines right now -- grenaches (as a varietal and not a blend), tempranillos, and carmeneres .... Yum! What do you have planned for wine o'clock tomorrow? Also, I'm hoping we see a few photos from your trip to NZ!
    I'm sure there will be one or two pics .

Coincidentally there is a Chilean merlot on standby for tomorrow, and we do have a nice Spanish rioja in the rack too.
    Grape minds think alike

Hello again, everyone!

I'm back in vintage Miss Dior, 60s edt ...I just can't get enough of this gorgeous stuff lately. ♥

I just noticed your sotd, sfmedusa - one of my all-time favorites! You smell incredible!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Thank you- it was in celebration at picking up a little bottle bottle of Gucci No3 parfum for a song on Ebay

You've made me eager to wear tomorrow's perfume already though. I'm now very likely to go down in the cellar and pick out my Miss Dior parfum for tomorrow- wahay!

^ Congratulations - the parfum is such a treasure! I've got my own little stash of it too, hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Coincidentally there is a Chilean merlot on standby for tomorrow
    Oooh, I love some Chilean Merlot! There is one we love that smells of teak wood, quite exotic.

Speaking of delicious, I just got my package from UPS with 28, La Pausa and Coromandel. Had to celebrate with the generous application of Coromandel, and I feel....aaahhhhh . If it wasn't for you,PerfumedLady, these two gorgeous would have never found its way into my home

Lucas when it comes to exams, in my experience second time IS the charm. I know you will do well!

Good luck, lucasai!

Happy Birthday, Baldufita!

I wore Nu today,
    appropriate for this cold day, before spring comes.

Basenotes Plus

Beautiful day here, nice amount of snow melting going on! Love it!

Happy Birthday, Baldufita!

Lucas, my fingers will be crossed for you, but I don't think you need any outside help,
    you'll do great!

Went to the dentist this morning and finally have my implant finished, YAY! Took
    a year and 9 months, lol, but it's done. Good to feel 100% once again.

Scent this afternoon is Alien, loving the jasmine!

Have a great day!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Chanel Bois des Iles and I have had a little thing going on lately. I ordered a batch of samples last week and added a decant of BdI, so now I'm burning through my long-held sample. I'm 58 years old, I've been on BN 7-1/2 years, and just this year I added Shalimar and BdI to my wardrobe. That's one long learning curve.
    It took me YEARS to warm to Bois de Iles but when it snuck up on me the hold was irresistible. Something about the aldehydes and sandalwood (minus the fruity sweetness of say...Egoiste) is addictive.

And, since you asked, I'm not usually shopping at Home Depot so I can't say if my Serge Lutens fragrance choice will be a continuing tradition, but I'll let you know. (Note: I can't imagine rockin' A La Nuit while trying to buy a hammer...but who knows, right!?) My learning curve (in regards to home renovations) is equally long.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Dentists are no fun, K. Glad to hear the implant is done. Alien is the only TM scent I find kind of wearable.

I picked up an awesome smelling candle. Tobacco scented, smells just like a smoke pipe. Never seen a tobacco candle. And it's not weak either.
    Last edited by kalli; 14th March 2013 at 09:08 PM.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Cuir Mauresque for me today.

Lucas, I've crossed all my fingers and limbs for you. Good luck!!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Elizrj, ExtremeK, wouldn't we just take Europe by storm? Heck, we could stink up Door County pretty good.

Lucas, we are again pulling for you, although you deserve all the credit for your accomplishments.

Glad you're feeling whole, Kiliwia.

Grape minds think alike, eh, Jon? You are perpetually cute.

Mike, you're making me nostalgic for the smell of the first-generation home-improvement stores with real lumber yards and oil-based paints. Today's stores don't provide the best olfactory education. Cedar, pine, oak, linseed oil -- real perfume.

We're really earning our spring this year, aren't we? I'm helping the season along with L'eau de Tarocco by Diptyque. Weak but oh so fun. Orange is so cheery.

summer means fireflys

Drive-by posting tonight; I've had to work late tonight and I'm on call ... I'm wearing Sweet Redemption today.

Thinking of everyone ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

cello -- my impressions of 1932 are sort of jumbled, but it is LOVE at first sniff. I will give it a full wearing tomorrow, OK?

Meantime, I find Ramon Monegal Impossible Iris irresitible as it has the sweetness many realistic iris fragrances lack and is void of a variety of musk I can't stomach (like in Prada Infusions d'Iris). I do not know about the correlation between the price and longevity yet, but I will definitely be looking for a large decant to wear in the summer.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Floris No. 89 edt tonight
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Love at first sniff? Nice. So two scents are winners lately, huh? That's pretty good twolf!