Code of Conduct

Thread: LM Parfums

Default LM Parfums

Any BN who have sampled / tested this line? I vaguely remember a friend who mentioned about this last year and it resurfaced when I saw @Hednic's SOTD post - Black Oud from LM Parfums (assuming you own the entire line). BN has 5 parfums from this line, with very few reviews (@ Alfarom's review's on 2).

Feedback from BN who have sampled this line - required on:
    1 - Silage / projection / longevity
    2 - FB worthy compared to its price?
    3 - Similarity to existing fragrances, which might make a parfum from this line redundant to buy.

Thank you in advance...

Default Re: LM Parfums

There are currently seven in the line (and you're right I do own the entire line) Two Extrait de Parfums and 5 EDP.

1. Sillage, projection, and longevity are very good.
    2. IMO all are full bottle worthy, but especially Black Oud
    3. No redundancy IMO.

Thanks Hednic! Now comes the hard part - hunt for samples!!! Where did you buy them / order it from? Direct from their website?

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Thanks Hednic! Now comes the hard part - hunt for samples!!! Where did you buy them / order it from? Direct from their website?
    No. Premiere Avenue in Grenoble, France

Thx guys, will look both the sites up...

I'm a bit late to this thread but I only just stumbled upon this range yesterday. Still relevant to answer and not start a new thread I think.

My thoughts so far, only from paper sniffing, and I will update as I type them.

PATCHOULI BOHEME
    The hippy in me adored this one. An unashamed and vegetal, rich patchouli.. Like a wild pot smoking party biker animal from the 70's, but grown up now, tamed, and taken for a walk on a very smart leather lead in a smart woods with woody, dark mahogany overtones.
    This is no hippy boho chick now, she has grown up to a dark and sophisticated patch. Her hippy heart is still burning in there, now disguised in a black, slinky, smart, leather outfit, and ready to party. When she warms up, the animal will be out. I say she, referring to the patchouli. This is definitely unisex.

HARD LEATHER
    Tonka dried fruits marries leather and they are riding off together into the dusky, balmy night, sweet with heavy blossoms. The strong night flowers are just opening up and the perfume develops into a mysterious, heavy not too sweet, floral sweetness, almost like a marzipan warmed night. Very nice but a lighter hand on the coumarin type gourmand note here would be good for true leather lovers. This in turn might be a bit leathery for the sweet gourmand lovers. A dry woody note of the oudish kind that I do not recognise but is from the dry parchment family. The horse has slightly sweaty (nice hot and fresh) musky tones. It nearly goes too far in many directions but never crosses the invisible lines of too much. Nice, but try before you buy. Gets some points in the powerhouse department.

BLACK OUD
    Norimbanol darkness. Very rich and powerful like a gigantic chained beast, but lightened and made wearable with powdery spicy, slightly smoky notes. There is a barely perceptible, almost powdery fresh vanilla holding the Oud notes from overwhelming the composition with too much black darkness. It feels like a restrained animal power that could go further but just keeps you in suspense. To unleash its power only if it wants to. This could be really sexy on the right skin. If you liked Nasomatto Black Afgano then you may love this. It shares much but this one is so much more wearable
    Last edited by mumsy; 11th April 2014 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Adding frags

I tested only Ambre Muscadin some months ago and I quite liked it, despite a subtle but a bit disturbing pee note.
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Comme des Garçons - Black
    Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'ascèse
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

I was just about to add that one.

AMBRE MUSCADIN
    An almost almond clad amber, very rich, with some heady powdery floral notes enhancing the sweet natural depth of a labdanum/benzoin nature. There is an interesting modern twist to this, something like a floral nuance that isn't very 'flowers'. It reminds me of a powdery vanilla scented plastic doll mixed with woody palma violet sweeties. Well blended. A lovely snuggly perfume for nuzzling necks if you like gourmand perfumes. It is very sweet but never quite sickly. The woody side has a plant like duskiness that keeps this from getting cloying.

(I picked up that sharp note as plastic. It would probably be the violet note.)

SENSUAL ORCHID
    Creamy, buttery orchid. Hints of toffee, rich malted notes almost like a floral labdanum or spicy tolu resin with no cloying sweetness. Something I cannot quite nail down along the lines of benzoin, woody cedar, sandalwood, vanilla but all mixed together as one. There is a huge encompassing floral that presents itself as a heady mystery cloud of sweet loveliness. Never sailing away too far into the realms of a floral perfume as such. This one is so well blended that it is hard to pull out the individual notes of the flower. It reminds me of tiny night flowers just emerging in their hugeness at dusk. The innocence of the small flower belying the pure power it has. It again is on the sweet gourmand side but always in check to the musky woody notes. A lovely composition.

That's it on the LM line from me for now. There seems to be a sort of gourmand signature as far as I tried but would need to smell more to confirm that. I will certainly seek out the rest to smell. Nice journey for the nose.
    Last edited by mumsy; 11th April 2014 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Adding frag

Basenotes Plus

Yes, as Hednic says, go to Premiere Avenue. They have a 5ml decant (manufacturer's) available of three of the most expensive of the fragrances (like Hard Leather) for 19 euros, and I think 5ml decants of all of regular fragrances for 15 euros a pop. Add to that shipping (which is expensive, in my opinion) but I think they are the only ones offering this large sample/decant size.

We've had some splits here

Hm, Black Oud sounds like something I'd love. I'm always into daring, yet wearable scents. I wonder if anyone can tell me how it compares to Vikt from Slumberhouse, as it seems they share some common features (oud, incense, animalic woody undertones, extrait strength). I know they are probably not entirely similar, but I thought I'd ask as I am definitely considering splitting this elsewhere.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

My youngest dog unfortunately destroyed my sample of Black Oud shortly after arrival, but it seemed a lot drier & starker than Vikt to me, although there wasn't enough left to wear it

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    My youngest dog unfortunately destroyed my sample of Black Oud shortly after arrival, but it seemed a lot drier & starker than Vikt to me, although there wasn't enough left to wear it
    But I bet he must have smelled pretty nice shortly after!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I've got Vol d'Hirondelle, waiting for the warmer weather to kick in to start regularly wearing it. I have a hard time with citrus scents but this one has something about it that separated it from the usual crowd pleasers.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    But I bet he must have smelled pretty nice shortly after!
    Quite tantalising

Osswalds is now carrying this line by the way. Of note, Black Oud is $225 there, and several others (EDP's) are $175.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Actually they have been carrying the line for quite a while now which is great for Statesiders interested in this line and don't want to purchase from across the Atlantic. However, it took them some time to get Hard Leather from abroad and my guess is that it will be another wait before Ultimate Seduction arrives there along with upcoming release Army of Lovers.
    Last edited by hednic; 2nd September 2014 at 01:17 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Actually they have been carrying the line for quite a while now which is great for Statesiders interested in this line and don't want to purchase from across the Atlantic. However, it took them some time to get Hard Leather from abroad and my guess is that it will be another wait before Ultimate Seduction arrives there along with upcoming releases Army of Lovers and Tropical Paradise.
    This is LM's doing, not Ossawlds. They received Hard Leather before FIF and Essenza Nobile.

They seem to give Premier Avenue first for a little while, then everyone else.

The old EdP Vikt to me smells a lot like Givaudan Black Agar, I get this in Montale's Dark Oud too but it's drier and much starker. Lpp, is LM Black Oud similar to Montale Dark Oud at all?

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post

They seem to give Premier Avenue first for a little while, then everyone else.
    Which I guess makes perfect sense since Laurent Mazzone owns Priemiere Avenue.

Guess I just didn't know. Still really interested in Black Oud, but blind buying it seems like not the best plan since I've no experience with the line.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    The old EdP Vikt to me smells a lot like Givaudan Black Agar, I get this in Montale's Dark Oud too but it's drier and much starker. Lpp, is LM Black Oud similar to Montale Dark Oud at all?
    Sorry, rynegne - I don't know the Montales (or the old Vikt).

I keep intending to buy another sample, but the shipping is expensive unless they're part of a larger order.

Edit - just dug out the mangled sample - there was only a drop left.
    It reminds me of Sahara Noir, if that's any help but it's unfair comparing a drop with a whole spray!

Edit- Personally prefer Hard Leather to Black Oud, comparing them, again unfair 'though due to the amount used.
    Last edited by lpp; 18th April 2014 at 06:41 PM.

Black Oud has a beautiful sweet wood shavings note up front--I guess that's the oud-- but then the frankincense kicks in, and bit later, the labdanum seems to take it over. Its a beautiful fragrance, but comes off to me as mainly an incense+labdanum blend that would be at home in the Amouage line. Amber lovers would likely go crazy for BOud.

I liked it well enough, but don't think its all that much like Vikt extrait, which is to me much darker, much woodier and has that wonderful anise note. And not a trace of amber sweetness to it. I pretty strongly prefer the Vikt, and also LM's Hard Leather, to the Black Oud.
    Last edited by james1051; 18th April 2014 at 07:11 PM.

I'm speaking of the EdP, which is a completely different fragrance IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    I liked it well enough, but don't think its all that much like Vikt extrait, which is to me much darker, much woodier and has that wonderful anise note. Pretty strongly prefer the Vikt, and also LM's Hard Leather, to the Black Oud.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Guess I just didn't know. Still really interested in Black Oud, but blind buying it seems like not the best plan since I've no experience with the line.
    Are you located anywhere close to the NYC area? Also FIF sells samples of it but don't know how that
    plays out with shipping. Might not be worth the hassle.

@james1051 - I don't know the old Vikt, but the new one is not remotely similar to Black Oud.
    Last edited by lpp; 18th April 2014 at 07:15 PM. Reason: crossed posts

Waiting on Hard Leather...looking forward to it after my sample.

New LM Parfums "Army of Lovers" to be launched in November and according to what I've read in a respected review: "It is a chypre and, honestly, this is a true chypre! None of that neo-chypre or wanna-be, pretend, quasi-chypre business." Sounds exciting. Notes forthcoming. Will be definitely buying this blind as I have every other release in the line.

Extrait de Parfum Army Of Lovers Intimacy Collection
    15 November 2014

Last edited by hednic; 2nd September 2014 at 02:53 AM.

Owned Black Oud and gave it away after a few weeks. Not worth it in my opinion although it's not bad. If I had to give it a color it would be "velvet purple". It's got that goth thing going for it.

The word "Extrait" is what made me buy it but the performance was just so/so. I've definitely sampled better extraits. I've read that Hard Leather (another one I was interested in) smells like BO but with some added leather.

I would definitely sample these before buying.

On another note somebody is shilling for LM BIGTIME I've seen this brand hyped up on here for a while now.
    Last edited by thatmakesscents; 2nd September 2014 at 02:50 AM.

Enjoy black oud. Love hard leather. Haven't tried the others.
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

LM have a good sales team with pots of dough for advertising.

UK Manchester bods may be able to smell it first as the lovely perfume sales manager in Harvey Nicks there carries the line. Ask him because he's a mine of niche information. Lovely man.

..when traslated into Italian the house name is disconcerting...

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Hmmmm.... "LM Parfums"....? What does this translate to? (my Italian is a little rusty)
    Laurent...Mazzone, can't say any more..bit of research on Italian slang dictionaries!