Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Dark,..of the darkest of scents..?Totally mediveal..gothic..victorian..DARK!!

What are your deep....dark....scents...??Totally....mysterious.. .dark ages.....gothic..victorian?

Default Re: Dark,..of the darkest of scents..?Totally mediveal..gothic..victorian..DARK!!

to me Alexander McQueen Kingdom is very dark. I actually own this and have never worn it in public .... it just seems bigger and darker than my personality.

Default Re: Dark,..of the darkest of scents..?Totally mediveal..gothic..victorian..DARK!!

If not for the semi-sweet vanilla note, I would say Parfum Lucifer from Damien Bash but I've taken to it for more quotidian occasions now. I remember Dior Poison being quite dark when I was little but now I've relegated it to something far more ethereal, too. I guess Helmut Lang's Veliviona brings out the dark chords for me, albeit far more akin to the renaissance than medieval ones.
    Last edited by eau-k; 1st September 2010 at 02:24 AM.

Black Aoud, which sounds extremely dark, is my absolute favorite scent, but I don't consider it medieval or gothic, as it is too beautiful on me to be considered anything but noble. But the beautiful rose in it is indeed a black-red rose, and would be comfortable in a graveyard at night.

Call me boring, but I think Stella is very dark and victorian. What's more gothic than a dark rose?

It's difficult for me to associate a perfume with medieval times or with gothic stuff. Maybe it's because I like dark perfumes but am not into the goth stuff? The one perfume I highly associate with the (modern) goth look is Kingdom. I don't like this scent though, and I don't think it's dark either. It just sits on my skin and takes over it, no development or interaction. Just like those goth kids who wear the exact same clothes for about 5 years in a row (hope I am not insulting anybody here, I have nothing personally against this fashion style, this is just what Kingdom makes me think of...).

Caron, in my opinion, is the ruler of dark scents. They do it in such a magnificent manner. The Caron perfumes are so complex and most of them have a dark, dense base. They are not medieval though.

My favourite dark scents include quite a few Carons (and I haven't tried their entire line yet...):

Nuit de Noel (Caron) - parfum
    N'Aimez que Moi (Caron) - parfum
    Tabac Blond (Caron) - parfum
    Narcisse Noir (Caron) - parfum only, the EDT is too cheerful
    Youth Dew (in parfum only)
    Feuillles de Tabac (Miller Harris)
    Arabie (Serge Lutens)
    Muscs Kublai Khan (Serge Lutens)
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

I've got to agree with Ayala - Narcisse Noir is definitely the darkest scent in my collection. I don't think of it as a medieval Goth scent, but I do think of it as a 1930's vamp scent, which carries its own kind of darkness.

The only thing that pops in my mind is Frankincense - Myrrh - Rose Maroc by Regina Harris.

I second Andrew with the Regina Harris, and will direct people who like that one to DSH perfumes Une Robe de Zibeline, which is quite similar and has a balsamic/vanilla base so it just a bit sweeter.

Messe di Minuit is the 'Gothicest' fragrance I know.

L'Artisan's Passage d'Enfer always reminds me of medieval, gothic churches in England. Dark churches and dark scent and I am loving both.

Default Darkest scent

If I keep going on about Zagorsk, I know somebody is going to want to slap me, BUT do I find it a cheerfully dark fragrance.

I am currently in Denmark, and Winter is setting in fast; in a few weeks it will be twilight by 16.00, a nice time of day to sit an a warm, dimly lit coffee shop, enjoying the scent of lovely baked goods and coffee while looking out at the chilly blue darkeness outside.
    Zagorsk embodies this sort of dark Winter, warm inside atmosphere.
    Then again, I grew up in Florence, and find massive stone buildings with gargoyles cosy, so the warm aspect of Zagorsk's darkness may note be present for everyone.

Cabochard also has a warm enveloping darkness (or at least the original did, don't know about the reformulated version yet).

Default Re: Darkest scent

Very nice topic - dark > im smelling turkish rose- patchouli - labdanum - leather - musk .
    "Where should one use perfume?" a young woman asked. "Wherever one wants to be kissed," I said. - Coco Chanel

Hmmm, I don't have it yet, but on the way a decant of Paestum Rose --rose and incense. High hopes!

Avignon CDG, Incense Norma Kamali (dry, dark and pure), Paestum Rose (a beautiful, spicy, dark rose!), Angelique Encens (dark and lovely oldfashioned, etheral), Borneo 1834 SL (hippiedark), Voleur des Roses (another dark rose with patch).

I agree on Stella, the Rose Absolute version, esp.
    Have you thought about Donna Karan's Black Cashmere?
    Féminité du Bois is darkness in a cool and elegant japanese-medieval way.
    "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
    Edgar Allan Poe

http://perfumum.blogspot.com/

Smile The MOST dark...gothic scents...

We have talked about Gothic scents before..Any new oideas for deep...dark..gothic...etc..????And deep..dark..Rose??

Blog Entries

Default Re: The MOST dark...gothic scents...

You simply MUST try Paestum Rose from Aedes. The rose is not the usual kind. It's a deep damascus with some dark woods, patchouli and the myrrh provides the most amazing finale. I can't think of a more 'Gothic' rose.

interesting - i have to disagree about paestum rose. i like it because it's LESS gothic than the usual suspects (VdR, #88). Nor is there patchouli listed in the pyramid, nor do i detect it in the frag. There are other woods, indeed, and a bit of incense, but none of the dark earth that the other two i mention possess. I think of it as technicolor/deeper version of costes. I love both paestum rose and costes, btw. And i really can't stand either VdR or 88 because of that patchouli note (i can rarely tolerate patchouli). So for a gothic feel, i'd recommend the OP seek out VdR and 88 before PR. I suspect atht house like phoenix alchemy lab do even more gothic scents however....
    baald

Buy my extra scents - mainly niche - over 50 items (tiny bottles)

Blog Entries

You're right, I should have checked before I shot my mouth off. I could have sworn it was patch. It has a slightly lemony edge to it that reminds me of it. I guess it's mainly wenge and cedar and incense. Whatever it is, it's lovely.

Blog Entries

My current Dark Rose Scents include:

L'Artisan Voleur de Roses
    Ava Luxe Rasa Xtreme
    Caron Parfum Sacre
    Paco Rabanne La Nuit
    Montale Black Aoud
    Ava Luxe Incense Rose
    Caron Coup de Fouet
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Cool Re: The MOST dark...gothic scents...

I'm sure alot of incense fragrance would go under that category, I haven't smelled enough of them to say, but the few I have were, MdM, & Black Cashmere, they both seem kind of Gothic or Dark in my opinion, but I'm sure there many others I don't know about yet.

"Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

L'Artisan VDR, for one

Ungaro III is for men, but is dark and rose strewn. Could work on most women.

Many of the Incense Series from Comme des Garcon are pretty dark and could function for women.

That's just my experience as a guy.

I agree, read those previous threads posted by Tigrushka. Great recommendations. My own include Black Aoud and Messe de Minuit.

La Myrrhe the most enigmatic gothic scent

Tubéreuse Criminelle the most sensual vixen gothic scent

Noir Epices and Black Oud, a black rose on a grave!

1000 the darkest and most luxurious floral

Basenotes Institution

The whole friggin' CdG Incense line...

Chaos by Donna Karan

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

How about Fracas?

how's about Norma Kamali's Incense....
    the gargoyles at Notre Dame would be stunning in this frag!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

These are what I wear when I'm in Goth Mode:

1: CdG Zagorsk
    2. CdG Avignon
    3. Gucci pour Homme layered with Crazy Libellule Encens Mystic (only $16)
    4. my own strange creations

Zagorsk in particular has a very melacholy, edgy feel to it. My husband and I share it. He wears it when he's wearing his skull jewelry....

One of my all time favorites Parfum Sacre. Beautiful and dark, but never "heavy".

Oh....And another one that comes to my mind is Nu edp....Leathery,incency and a bit strong.Defenitely a bit femme fatale scent that I can picture on a gothic look

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41
    how's about Norma Kamali's Incense....
    the gargoyles at Notre Dame would be stunning in this frag!
    You're so right! Made my eyes BURNNNN!!!

"London" by Black Phoenix Alchemy Labs. I'm surprised their fragrances aren't on this site, come to think of it. Their perfume oils are cheap, long-lasting, and they smell great. blackphoenixalchemylab.com, you can find London by clicking on Wanderlust. All of their perfume oils have a gothic twist.

I second (or third) Black Aoud and Voleur De Roses.
    Black Aoud is in your face, more high energy, more black leather. VDR is moodier, more somber - the dying rose garden at the end of summer.

Also try The Goth Rosary - she's got some wicked stuff at a good price:
    http://www.gothrosary.com/

Try Etro fragrances.

For example, Shaal Nur.

Quote Originally Posted by baald
    I suspect that house like phoenix alchemy lab do even more gothic scents however....
    Another vote for checking out Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, which a dear friend highly recommended as "wonderful scents for Goth girls and boys, with names to match."

She then gifted me with a marvelous mistletoe/juniper berry/pine/myrrh beauty from BPAL called "Winter of Our Discontent" just to prove her point.

Happy hunting, and let us know what you find!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

I have only came across one this year, which is the Black Aoud by Montale. It is a very lonely scent... the smell of withered roses carried me away. the frightening thing is that I could imagine myself being totally isolated or living in a coffin when I wear this.

* I have asked a friend to get a full bottle for me in Paris~~~

Basenotes Plus

Kingdom, blatently!
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

I'm a huge fan of dark, Gothic scents, although I haven't smelled most of the ones mentioned here. I'd love to!
    I personally love Encre Noir by Lalique, that's a pretty dark one in my opinion. But it may be too modern to be right for a sort of burlesque gothic thing.

OH and Icon by Lush (or now, Gorilla Perfumes) That is awesome, churchy and dark and mysterious.

This is so interesting. I was sitting here at my desk, before hopping on BN to post my SotD and thinking to myself, "if I could have only one word to describe what I'm wearing today, what would it be?", and the word I came up with was "GOTHIC." And then I pull up the forum and, boom, there's your thread! It must be something in the air today....

What am I wearing? Tom Ford's Amber Absolute. I get none of the sweet, syrupy opening that some of the reviewers mention. I get dry, dark incense with just a hint of amber at the base. The incense stays and stays and stays until about 5 or 6 hours in, and then it softens and sweetens into a more "traditional" amber and vanilla.

So my two "gothic" scents (and I lovelovelove them both) are Amber Absolute and CdG Avignon -- dark, church-y, incense-y fabulousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayala View Post
    ........The one perfume I highly associate with the (modern) goth look is Kingdom. I don't like this scent though, and I don't think it's dark either. It just sits on my skin and takes over it, no development or interaction. Just like those goth kids who wear the exact same clothes for about 5 years in a row (hope I am not insulting anybody here...).......
    Ayala, I love your notion that "Goth" is a static aesthetic and finds its fragrance equivalent in Kingdom, I couldn't agree more. I realize most young people that this movement appeals to don't have a lot of money to spend on their clothes, but there is way too much pre-made, plastic/polyester China goods, basically suburban mall crap, going on to make it a true artistic statement.
    When I think of the real Goth, I think of priests, nuns and Emily Dickinson and yes, Youth Dew extrait and Muscs Kublai Khan, preferably layered together!

Tauer's Orris. It's the darkest fragrance I know, bar none. Not Victorian, however... or even particularly in line with modern western perfumery. It smells like some ointment you'd find sealed up in medieval tomb.

Tom Ford Black Orchid. Dark, Deep annis gourmand. Amazing and long lasting.

I think Neil Morris's "Gotham" is very deep, dark and mysterious. It has top notes of black pepper and yuzu, heart notes of rose and narcissus, and base notes of ambergris, myrtlewood, russian leather, tonka bean, and labdanum.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Tom Ford Black Orchid +1 here. Black bottle and a "dark" scent. I associate aquatics and light florals with "light" or lightness. I associate "heavy" with dark.

I don't associate the Victorians (at least the early ones) with anything dark at all. They were more into the eaux and violets, jasmines and orange blossoms.

I associate Medieval with spice scents. The Crusades brought many spices/perfumes to Western Europe: myrrh, cloves, Eastern jasmine (yasmin), olibanum (frankincense).
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Well, if we're not talking about cheap disguisting stuff marketing towards teenage emo girls. I'll have to say black aoud and rose aoud by kilian. Also, Narciso Rodriguez EdP is very dark, but it's more of the cold, dry type of dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekove View Post
    Well, if we're not talking about cheap disguisting stuff marketing towards teenage emo girls.
    BPAL! *cough* *cough* Sorry, just an odd tick I've developed lately...

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    BPAL! *cough* *cough* Sorry, just an odd tick I've developed lately...
    LOL, Suga. I actually like their "Cathedral," a "gothy" incense oil.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

When I think of dark fragrances in general (not necessarily victorian or gothic), Chanel Antaeus, Drakkar Noir and Halston z-14 come to mind.

To be fair to BPAL, their line is so huge I've only tried a handful. Most of my negative associations with the line come from enthusiastic purchasers of the goth persuasion ( with alter-egos like "Rotunda Tragique" ), and fragrance names along the lines of Death's Crying Unicorn. If anything there's a twinge of embarrassment along the lines of "Crickey, the people I used to hang out with" added to the mix too.

Czech & Speak No 88. How hasn't this been mentioned yet?!
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Blog Entries

Cabochard by Gres
    Bandit by Robert Piguet
    Amouage Lyric Woman by Amouage
    Habanita by Molinard
    The Infidel by Agonist
    Voleur de Roses by L Artisan Parfumeur
    Voleur de Roses by L Artisan Parfumeur has a bit of a Victorian Goth side due to the wet patchouli and roses.
    but the rest are more Mysterious and modern then Medieval.

Blog Entries

Voleur de Roses by L Artisan Parfumeur Smells like an graveyard
    Last edited by Weimar27; 13th October 2010 at 08:36 PM.

What about L'Air de Rien Miller Harris(amber, vanilla, oak moss and musks) ?

Avignon by CdG; Rossy de Palma from ELDO, Le Labo's Rose 31, L'Artisan's Voleur de Rose come to mind. Bulgari Black.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Among male frags- another vote for Ungaro III, one of the utmost Gothic I know
    Among female frags- though it would work easily as a male or an unisex frag too, since it's a very dark and edgy leathery scent: Ispahan by Yves Rocher

John Galliano and Agent Provocateur
    LOVE IS BEST
    My sale thread :http://www.basenotes.net/search.php?searchid=2281122
    "There are people of spirit and there are people of passion but much less common that one might think. Rarer still are the people of passion and spirit. But rarest of all is a passionate spirit."
    -- Martin Buber

Quorum is another one that came to mind.

I think of Mystère de Rochas as being very shadowy, velvety and darkly elegant. Ungaro's classic Diva is still possibly the darkest, deepest rose fragrance I know, with L'Arte di Gucci at a close second (there's something about oud that smells bright and fresh to me, otherwise I'd agree with Black Aoud for the dark quality of the rose. And Dark Rose smells bright and fresh to me too, nothing dark about it.) Knowing by Estee Lauder is deep dark mossy green and very earthy, maybe sort of witchy or goth. Hermès Rouge is very dark and smoldery, too, rich and mysterious.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan