Code of Conduct

Default Tuberose - carnal flower or...?

So it turns out I like tuberose. Or at least, I really like Carnal Flower and I could see myself wearing it a lot. I am tempted to just save up and buy it, but I am conscious that I haven't tried many tuberose scents and maybe there is something even better out there. So which tuberose scents would people recommend I try?

Default Re: Tuberose - carnal flower or...?

The best tuberose fragrances in my opinion are:
    1) FRACAS
    2) CARNAL FLOWER

I recently figured out that I am a sucker for tuberose. Try:
    Peche Cardinal by MDCI.
    Kiss My Name by Ramon Monegal

Basenotes Plus

Try By Kilian Beyond Love or Diptyque Do Son.

L'Artisan Nuit de Tubereuse is an earthy, almost smoky take on tuberose. I find it a little more easily wearable than Carnal Flower, as a casual everyday scent; it's not as opulent, much more subtle. And believe me, I love me some Carnal Flower, but the projection is somewhat fierce. Fracas is the classic. Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle is beautiful and weird, almost mentholated. I have almost finished my sample, and might just end up buying a bottle.

Welcome!

Carnal Flower is indeed luscious and worth the price. I don't think there's anything better, just different. My favorite is perhaps Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle, which, as said, stresses a bit the camphoraceous, mentholated aspect of the flower, and is perhaps a touch more masculine. Then, as also suggested, there is the classic Fracas, which instead stresses the creamy, buttery aspect (Madonna's Truth or Dare is more or less copied from Fracas, and, as all copies, is a little more pale than the original); while I like it, as a man I find it difficult to wear at times.

For the sake of completeness, I also want to mention the superexpensive JAR Eclair (also called Bolt of Lightning), which goes for $900 for 30ml. It's a tuberose bomb, sweet, with all the disturbing aspects (camphor, meat, etc) nicely in evidence.

cacio

treeman5823

Try Fracas, Tubereuse Criminelle, and Beyond Love, too. You can get a 3.4 oz bottle of the first for around 80 bucks on Amazon.

Well, LittleMiss, as far as I'm concerned, you're starting at the top with Carnal Flower. Well done. I have both Carnal Flower and Tubereuse Criminelle on my full bottle list -- quite different but both are marvelous.

Another bottle i just picked up is Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia -- it's sometimes more tuberose, sometimes more gardenia, but who cares when it's that beautiful? I was surprised by how much I liked this one. I wore it around the store for 30 minutes and then just bought it on the spot. It's that good.

I have not tried Fracas -- I shy away from aldehydes, and, from all accounts, there's a lot of them in the opening.

Happy hunting -- and welcome to Basenotes!

I don't do tuberose but I would say +1 on the Kilian and Fracas.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Annick Goutal Tubereuse - a soliflore, absolute - very true flower rendition
    Mahora - exotic tuberose, very nice
    L´Artisan Tubereuse Indiana - rather sh*ty on me
    Renee Tuberose - a buquet of spring flowers with heading tuberose
    Pavlova - I have only reformulated version that is very soft and pale rendition of the original one
    Tubereuse Criminelle - tuberose heaven, No. 1
    Nicolai Number One - also very nice and heady but wearable tuberose

Blog Entries

My top three;

1. Carnal Flower; l agree with others here that this truly is the best & most beautiful!
    2. Fracas; a whole bouquet of flowers really, but dominated by a big, buttery tuberose, & a bit of a manslayer. l don't really notice any aldehydes in it.
    3. Beyond Love; high quality, sweetened by a touch of coconut, musk & vanilla in the drydown.

Tuberose Gardenia is indeed wonderful, but l find it more gardenia than tuberose.

Welcome to basenote LittleMissMainstream, & do let us know what you sniff!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

People who love tuberose have swooned, literally swooned over :

Beyond Love

My mother, sisters, scent, a couple of female employees at work, my wife , mother in law and sister in laws.

After that I suggest Carnal Flower and Fracas.

for swap/sale:

I'll add Mona di Orio's Les Nombres d'Or Tubereuse, Andy Tauer's Loretta, and Memo Sundance. And you should read this: http://thecandyperfumeboy.com/the-ca...e-to/tuberose/

Enjoy.

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I'll add Mona di Orio's Les Nombres d'Or Tubereuse, Andy Tauer's Loretta, and Memo Sundance. And you should read this: http://thecandyperfumeboy.com/the-ca...e-to/tuberose/

Enjoy.
    No, not Loretta! We don't need people walking around smelling like they just picked up an old Lifesavers candy :-)

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    No, not Loretta! We don't need people walking around smelling like they just picked up an old Lifesavers candy :-)
    Haha! I do love it. At first I dismissed it as candy, but after a while I noticed something darker in it- it's got a smoky aspect that suggests it's not just sweetness and light.

Fracas, although not a soliflore, is as wonderful as everyone here suggests ... grand, luscious and adorable. Softer tuberose fragrances that conjure colourful shades of cerise and pink include:
    Parfums MDCI, Peche Cardinal
    Annick Goutal, Tubéreuse ... creamy
    Serge Luten, Tubéreuse Criminelle ... the styrax leads to a cool and unique entrance
    Dorin, Un Air de Damas Tubéreuse ... a beautiful, soft variation of Fracas
    JAR, Bolt of Lightning ... an eye-opening, head-clearing green fragrance that remains close to the skin
    by Kilian, Beyond Love ... a favorite amongst lovers of this opulent flower
    Bruno Acampora, Blu ... a slightly sweet perfumed oil

There are so many others and good affordable everyday fragrances amongst them as well which other BNrs have mentioned.
    Enjoy
    Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart; but the heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as a fragrant forest.

Very different from CF, but certainly worth trying, is Honoré des Près Vamp à NY: a boozy, rubbery, fruity, extremely funny tuberose
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Frederic Malle Carnal Flower is great if you like it loud, an in-your-face 'supersonic' tuberose. Apply carefully.

By Kilian Beyond Love is in the same fresh green vein but softer and in my mind easier to wear.

L'Artisan Tubereuse is a delicate, decidedly more feminine take. The one that started my love affair with tuberose.

Serge Lutens' Tubereuse Criminelle has many fans here but I simply can't find the love for its weird mentholated beginning.

Ava Luxe Tuberose Diabolique a creamier more voluptuous take on tuberose that unfolds slowly on the skin.

Histoires de Parfums' Tubereuse 1 Capricieuse is my favorite, but it is really more about the tuberose/iris duet.

WELCOME to Basenotes!

To me, nothing beats Carnal Flower in the arena of tubereuse fragrances, so I would say: save up for it and enjoy.

I do also enjoy a lot Mona di Orio - Tubereuse and L'Artisan - Nuit de Tubereuse and HdP Tubereuse 3 L'Animale for a more quirky twist.

My favorite Tuberose perfume hands down is HdP's Tubereuse 3 L'Animale.

Carolina Herrera is my personal favorite

[QUOTE]Carolina Herrera/QUOTE] as recommended by jacona, is also another very soft and pretty Tuberose
    Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart; but the heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as a fragrant forest.

Enjoying a sample of Carissa created by basenotes member Paul Kiler. Its tuberose is deep and fresh at the same time.

This thread is so helpful (and so evil!)-- now look at all the other tuberose samples I'm going to have to try... Lisa

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Claire811 View Post
    The best tuberose fragrances in my opinion are:
    1) FRACAS
    2) CARNAL FLOWER
    These are the ONLY tuberose scents I love.

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    These are the ONLY tuberose scents I love.
    Have you tried Beyond Love?

for swap/sale:

Carnal Flower is my favorite. I also like Fracas, and I wear it well, but I never seem to reach for it.

I did the same thing you did, OP -- I discovered Carnal Flower, went "yowza!" and then started looking around for other tuberose fragrances. I sampled pretty much everything I could get my hands on...and wound up coming back to Carnal Flower . But it IS worth trying! There are some very nice tuberose fragrances out there. OTOH, if you're happy with Carnal Flower, you really can't go wrong purchasing it -- you'll smell beautiful.

Thank you all for your suggestions - I'm reporting back on my tries so far. I am in the UK, so some of them are quite hard to track down but this is what I've tried so far:

Fracas - Is verrry nice. I do get some aldehydes from this (full disclosure: I like aldehydes), and I read it as a more feminine perfume than Carnal Flower (though Carnal Flower is not so much unisex as daring you to guess while singing "I am what I am" at the top of its voice). I did like this a lot and it's certainly got the same heft about it ("grand" is a good word for it). I probably prefer Carnal Flower a tad just because I like the "dragged up to the eyeballs" aspect I get from it (just in case I didn't make it clear I am looking for an On The Town With Red Lipstick and Heels perfume*)

l'Artisan Nuit de Tubereuse - I also like this a lot. It is smokier and starts fairly indolic on me (just about at the borders of taste and decency, which is fun) before settling down into a lovely seductive scent. It's more restrained than Carnal Flower but actually it's not terribly restrained and I'd say it was definitely an evening perfume. I take the point that this might be a tad more generally wearable and if I don't go for the Malle (or lose patience saving up) this is the one I'd go for at the moment.

Beyond Love - this was medicinal for over an hour on me before it settled down into a very nice tuberose, but a lot more delicate and restrained than the other two - this could be a work perfume.

Loretta - I'm disappointed in this because Tauers often work on me. I do get a nice tuberose in there oscillating between candyfloss and smoke, but the candyfloss/smoke interchange means the perfume has something of barbecue sauce about it after a while and its just weird rather than intriguing (I would wear something with a barbecue sauce note in it if it was interesting enough, but this isn't it!)

Tuberose Gardenia - very pretty indeed. I'm another who got more gardenia from it, but it really is pretty. I'm not really out for pretty, but this is impressively good at what it does - I can understand the poster who just went back and bought it.

I'm still hoping to track down some of the other suggestions, though I'm not sure how many I will find before I'm next in London.

* If I also wear it to do the ironing just because it is that fabulous and ironing needs More Glamour, noone will know...

queen of the universe

LMM, you are quite the writer! Stick around, we'll—'scuse the Royal We—want to hear more from you.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Gosh - thank you!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    LMM, you are quite the writer! Stick around, we'll—'scuse the Royal We—want to hear more from you.
    +1, thanks for reporting back, LMM! Just for the record, Fracas *is* my On the Town with Red Lipstick & Heels perfume!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.