Code of Conduct

Default Frag that is still fresh suddenly smell sour on you?

I bought a bottle of Invasion Barbare last fall, wore it many times, then suddenly it smelled horrible on me (like sour pepper). I have over thirty frags in the collection and have never encountered this before. I'm certain there is nothing wrong with the juice, as I visited a major retailer and tried on other bottles from other batches. Same odd, sour note. Weird and depressing, as I was so smitten with it but now I'm going to have to sell.

I'm wondering if this is fairly common...

Default Re: Frag that is still fresh suddenly smell sour on you?

I have two that sour on me...and from what I've read, it's common in at least one.

Bond No. 9 - Wall Street. I love the fresh smell, but have to spray it on my clothes or it sours after 3 hours on my skin.
    Trump - Success. It's one of the few celeb scents I enjoy...and it's definately a Wall Street wannabe with the same effects.
    Signature Rotation: A* Men, Pure Havane, Dunhill Pursuit, Varvatos Artisian, Guerlain Vetiver

I get this with Burberry Brit. I like the scent, but it seems like recently everytime I wear it I get a sour/foul note in the top and mid. I'm thinking it's the rose mixing with the citrus and ginger.

Seem to encounter this with Murdock's Bright Leaf. At first, the tobacco leaf and cedar smells great. After about three or four hours it seems to get that sour smell. Still a good scent though.

Bleecker st. and Allure Homme.

Definitely not common or the case with me with fragrances in my collection.

treeman5823

Papasmurf, maybe you are just picking up IB's violet leaf, which smells green-peppery.

It's strange cause for the first few weeks, there was no such note. Now it's all I can smell...

Creed Erolfa

Never had that problem. Was wearing my IB 12ml sample the other day and just got hours of creamy goodness, as usual.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

I sour all kinds of things, all the time -- but with me, it's a skin chemistry issue. If this is suddenly happening, with a fragrance that didn't do it before, it's more likely to be something that's changed with you. Are you eating/drinking different things, or did you switch soaps or something?

Or possibly, since you say you bought it in the fall, maybe you have a chemistry shift with the seasons. Maybe it'll smell good on you again in summertime.

I'm not familiar with Invasion Barbare, but the current Eau Sauvage turns very bitter on my skin. I tried the vintage a while ago, and that wasn't the case.
    Bel Ami Hermes on my skin is a hot mess, it turns immediately sour and smells like a cumin heavy curry. Rather embarassing
    l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Only twice.

About 2/3 through a bottle of tobacco vanille, it turned sour on me. I suspect it was due to storage issues (I was traveling a lot and bringing my little bottle with me, so it got jostled, dropped, and otherwise affected by high heat for months).

A large sample of Back to Black smelled great on me at first . . . but smelled totally sour on my skin by the end.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by papasmurf View Post
    I bought a bottle of Invasion Barbare last fall, wore it many times, then suddenly it smelled horrible on me (like sour pepper). I have over thirty frags in the collection and have never encountered this before. I'm certain there is nothing wrong with the juice, as I visited a major retailer and tried on other bottles from other batches. Same odd, sour note. Weird and depressing, as I was so smitten with it but now I'm going to have to sell.

I'm wondering if this is fairly common...
    lol i get such experiences quite often!!!

just like you it can show up after sevral wearings...i think thats because you start picking up on something synthetic that you just did not notice before, but when you get to know the frag better....

it can be sweaty note...i got it with the latest Ubar, with some nice scents as well.... like 31 Rue Cambon, occasionaly... Timbuktu as well....

i think it has nothing with skin ...but with the nose senistivity on certain days....for Ubar it was every day!!

I had this happen with fragrances that I didn't store properly and are very old. I remember before I started being a BNer, I found a bottle of Kenneth Cole from like 5 years ago thats been stored in the heat, bathroom, you name it. and I tried it on and it smelled super sour, so I threw it out.

Have had something similar happen to me with Prada Luna Rossa, but I want to give it a few more wearings before I give up on it.

Cool Water, The 3rd Man, Gris Clair, Hypnose Homme, Rochas Man and a lot of other fragrances that I tried with lavender in it turn sour on me after a couple of hours.
    My skin doesn't seem to get along with lavender.

You may have hit on it! I noticed the shift to sour pepper after the rainy season set in on the westcoast... May be there is hope yet. I'll wait until the dry weather returns to see. Grateful for all the replies -- BN rocks my world daily

Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    I sour all kinds of things, all the time -- but with me, it's a skin chemistry issue. If this is suddenly happening, with a fragrance that didn't do it before, it's more likely to be something that's changed with you. Are you eating/drinking different things, or did you switch soaps or something?

Or possibly, since you say you bought it in the fall, maybe you have a chemistry shift with the seasons. Maybe it'll smell good on you again in summertime.