Code of Conduct

Default i want to purchase an expensive fragrance... Black Afgano or Jubilation XXV?

i want to purchase an expensive fragrance... Black Afgano or Jubilation XXV? Which one would you purchase? I can't quite make up my mind?
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Banned

Default Re: i want to purchase an expensive fragrance... Black Afgano or Jubilation XXV?

Are you purchasing one of these because they are expensive?

Default Re: i want to purchase an expensive fragrance... Black Afgano or Jubilation XXV?

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    i want to purchase an expensive fragrance... Black Afgano or Jubilation XXV? Which one would you purchase? I can't quite make up my mind?
    Not a fan of either but if I had to choose it would be the latter.

Basenotes Plus

Jubilation XXV would be my choice.

I had the choice. JXXV is a nicer fragrance. Just beautiful! I chose Black Afgano because it is more challenging. Don't regret the buy at all.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Jubilation XXV.

Jxxv
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Jubilation XXV. I've never smelled it, but I can't imagine it can possibly be worse than Black Afgano.

Definitely not Black Afgano, a terrible fragrance imo.

since it's going to be an expensive purchase

wouldn't it be better if you fork out a small amount of monies and sample those 2? and many others? then decide from there?

if monies is not a matter, then grab both and add invasion barbare, puredistance M, guerlain derby to the list while you are at it.
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Basenotes Plus

Black Afghano if you're into 'weird and stinky'. Sorry, make that 'weird, stinky & expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Black Afghano if you're into 'weird and stinky'. Sorry, make that 'weird, stinky & expensive.
    lol, spot on
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Overcome By Fumes

I just want to poke myself in the eye. Should I use a fork or a knife?

Seriously? Why not buy a fragrance you like? Why not test first as others suggest?

If you love a fragrance, whether pricy or inexpensive, you should feel comfortable getting it because you know you like it and will wear it. Asking advice to buy one of two fragrances whose only similarity is high price is just silly. If you love them both, get both.

Oh, and since you rank Jubilation XXV as your 8th favorite and Black Afgano doesn't even make your top ten, I might suggest the Amouage as the best choice for you of these two.
    Last edited by docluv45; 15th March 2013 at 05:43 AM.

Neither IMO.

Please tell me you at least smelled them both.

I HATE black afgano. It's nauseating. I'm so happy I was able return it for a refund. I sampled it, liked it. Bought a bottle, hated it after a full wearing or two.

Jub xnxx is nice, not worth it's retail price IMO. I have a bootle, but I got it at a discount.

If you want something new and exciting, and higher end, look into By Kilian. Top notch stuff!

Sound Scents

Jubilation XXV is an excellent smelling scent, and Black Afgano is a giant stink bomb, IMO... My vote goes easily to the former.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Jubilation no question about it!
    "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

I forgot to add that i sampled both and owned many 2 ml samples of xxv... i like both very much, but can afford just one now
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Jubilation XXV.

I've smelled XXV and think it's very nice. I own Black Afgano and like it very much. They're very different from one another. Try a sample of each before buying one!

J xxv

Jubilation XXV. Black Afgano is... interesting. Certainly worth trying just for the experience. But if you live in an actual society - with people around you - go with Jubilation XXV. They will appreciate your decision of Jubilation XXV also.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Jubilation XXV would be my choice.
    +1.... Black Afgano is a very interesting frag for sure but imo just a bit weird and stinky.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    Jubilation XXV. I've never smelled it, but I can't imagine it can possibly be worse than Black Afgano.
    You imagine correctly -- it is much much better.

Basenotes Institution

The Amouage. Nonetheless, we are headed into warmer weather, and I always think of it as a Fall/Winter scent.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Get Jubilation XXV, you will love it

Jubilation XXV.

With the amount of money you have to pay for one of these perfumes..... you could buy at least 3/4 gems from the past.

Basenotes Plus

I assume you like both of them? Jubilation is a better fragrance overall. Personally I wouldn't spend money for either.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dernier_Cri View Post
    I assume you like both of them? Jubilation is a better fragrance overall. Personally I wouldn't spend money for either.
    +3 .....new old amouages are watered down heavily

Jubilation XXV, although there are much better 'expensive' choices out there

and thank goodness for all the validation in this thread that the much talked about Black Afghano is really not very good
    Top 5:

1. Chanel - Platinum Egoiste
    2. Creed - Millesime Imperial
    3. Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    4. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    5. Bond No. 9 - Signature

Jubilation, but, as mentioned, there are plenty better fragrances for the money.

treeman5823

Jubilation XXV, without any doubt. Black Afghano is crap.

Basenotes Plus

I vote Black Afgano. Jubilation XXV is boring, short lived, and not worth the pricetag. Black Afgano is a beast, captivating, and gets nothing but compliments.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

Dunno why there are snyde remarks regarding the 'expensive' part of his query.

People sometimes derive a certain pleasure from price.
    c
    Anyways,mdedinitelt JXXV. It's much much more versatile than BA.

for swap/sale:

I have not smelled BA, but, while I love the smell of JXXV, I can't ever think of a time to wear it. Whenever I do, I smell like some sultan or sheik who is waiting in their palace for a 20 course meal to be served by scantily clad women who wear gold chains around their arms and legs. I wore it out once to Chinese food and it felt like a culture clash.

Maybe I read too much into these things.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Dunno why there are snyde remarks regarding the 'expensive' part of his query.

People sometimes derive a certain pleasure from price.
    c
    Anyways,mdedinitelt JXXV. It's much much more versatile than BA.
    Indeed! And assuming he'd never sampled either of them.

Jxxv is my rec. also
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I enjoy both, but I would go with Jubilation XXV because it is more versatile.

Basenotes Plus

Change1, since you assigned MKK and Kouros 5 stars, my hunch is you probably prefer Black Afgano to Jub xxv. On the other hand, since Jub xxv made your top 10 list, why don't you buy something you already fall in love with and buy a sample of Black Afgano (or decant) to test.

Cheers

Jubilation XXV.

As you said earlier Change1, you have had a few 2ml samples of Jubilation XXV, so you obviously like it enough to return again and again. This indicates that it might well make a good buy for you and is far more versatile than BA, so this would be my choice for you. BA, maybe sample this a few more times to see if you really like it or opt for a large decant while you make up your mind. However, for me BA did not make such a lasting or good impression.
    Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart; but the heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as a fragrant forest.

Have you sampled them both?

Basenotes Plus

Black Afgano. Live a little.

I think you could safely blind buy Jubilation, but you better sample Black Afgano first: there is a current split on youtube for Black Afgano....$39 for 5ml

Basenotes Plus

bleeeeaaaaahhh! I don't know why I get indignant on behalf of the OP- but some of these posts make me go bonzo.

He SAID in post 18 he sampled both. He can only afford to buy ONE right now. Cap-eeesh??

Sorry, change1 if you find my reaction overly intrusive (witchy/bitchy/catty) to your thread. Maybe from now on, just toss a coin to decide

I need a massage....
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

No kidding, Knit! Read the thread before commenting, folks.

I would encourage you to get the Amouage. I've only sampled Black Afghano once - I thought it was bizarre, cloying, and very synthetic smelling. The Amouage is pretty versatile and interesting. Buy it and get a decant of BA so you can spend more time with it before deciding whether you want a bottle.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -