Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fragrance for a Job Interview

I have a very important job interview in 2 weeks. I've been unemployed for some time, because here in Portugal, economy is not at its best and unemployment is a major problem. But problems aside i was looking for something classy, non-invasive or offensive and that portrays confidence. Unfortunately good colognes like GIT and Aventus are very hard too find and i had bad experiences buying online.

i came with:

Egoiste Platinum (although it's kinda 90's it's still great and portrays confidence)
    Egoiste
    Allure Homme

Default Re: Fragrance for a Job Interview

My personal suggestion: Don't wear anything to the job interview. After you get the job, celebrate by wearing Egoiste!

Banned

Dont wear fragrance for an interview.

ok thanks guys thanks for the tip i was thinking something very subtle and classy, but i think you are right

This, and a funeral are just about the only times I would not wear a fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My personal suggestion: Don't wear anything to the job interview. After you get the job, celebrate by wearing Egoiste!
    I agree. Find a great smelling body wash, get a great haircut and shave, get your clothes pressed, and go in smelling like you are clean and unpretentious.

Quote Originally Posted by FullCollapse View Post
    I agree. Find a great smelling body wash, get a great haircut and shave, get your clothes pressed, and go in smelling like you are clean and unpretentious.
    Exactly.

If you are going to wear something, make sure it has very mild projection. Golden boy is the least potent fragrance I have tested thus far:

http://fpindex.com/dueto-parfums-golden-boy/

Terre de Hermes also has very mild projection, but sillage is pretty substantial...

I would agree with everyone else though. Don't bother with fragrances at a job interview
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by The Smelly Scientist View Post
    If you are going to wear something, make sure it has very mild projection. Golden boy is the least potent fragrance I have tested thus far:

http://fpindex.com/dueto-parfums-golden-boy/

Terre de Hermes also has very mild projection, but sillage is pretty substantial...

I would agree with everyone else though. Don't bother with fragrances at a job interview
    i'm sorry mate but for me terre de hermes smells like rotten oranges, cant stand it at all.

Overcome By Fumes

Rochas Lui

nothing or 1 spray of pe

Dior Eau Sauvage
    Chanel Pour Monsieur

Stay away from heavy sweets and spices.

Platinum Egoidte. 1 spray
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Clean and light scent or nothing

Sound Scents

I join those in recommending not wearing a fragrance, certainly not the ones on your list. If you absolutely *must* wear something, then I recommend either Mugler Cologne or Monsieur de Givenchy.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Platinum Egoiste. 1 spray
    This, or something else clean, fresh and soapy, like Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Limes, which has low sillage and is totally inoffensive.

I think I agree with nothing but if you need it for mental support:

Gendarme
    Angeliques Sous La Pluis

...or something similar lightweight and clean smelling - in small doses.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    This, and a funeral are just about the only times I would not wear a fragrance.
    +1. Just don't do it!
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Just go in with quiet confidence and believe you can do it!

Black Aoud will do just fine with 4 sprays on your neck.

Dude leave the bottles for a few hours and get the job then wear what you like.
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Picollo30 View Post
    I have a very important job interview in 2 weeks. I've been unemployed for some time, because here in Portugal, economy is not at its best and unemployment is a major problem. But problems aside i was looking for something classy, non-invasive or offensive and that portrays confidence. Unfortunately good colognes like GIT and Aventus are very hard too find and i had bad experiences buying online.

i came with:

Egoiste Platinum (although it's kinda 90's it's still great and portrays confidence)
    Egoiste
    Allure Homme
    Honestly, you are better wearing nothing at all than wearing too much cologne for an interview.

If the employer doesn't like what you're wearing or is allergic to it, you probably won't get the job.

If you do decide to wear cologne, wear VERY little. No more than one spray, and spray an hour before you step foot in.

Oh, and PE over Egoiste and Allure.

Basenotes Member

What about D&G The One? That will never be noticed anyway lol.

best advice you can get. you have to sell yourself and nothing is worse than the Recruiter is paying attention to your scent. oh there is worse, if she cannot stand it......
    “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”

I Would NEVER wear any fragrance for a job interview. I would just take a long bath, wear a fresh set of clothes, put on my best pair of shoes with a fresh pair of socks, and apply an unscented deodorant.

Shoot -- nothing. Supposing one of the board starts sneezing because of you -- you are f...ed

Quote Originally Posted by Picollo30 View Post
    i'm sorry mate but for me terre de hermes smells like rotten oranges, cant stand it at all.
    I find it has a sweaty accord to it, which I don't find very appealing either. Although the EdT is tolerable for me.
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Just don't wear any. They will still be there after the interview. Put on deodorant and that's it.

I'd personally follow this great advice.

I know everyone is saying don’t wear anything but I think one or 2 sprays of something light and inoffensive can’t hurt. Especially if the interviewer is a female she may like the scent and it may actually help you. I’ve been complimented by female interviewers on my fragrance when I went for interviews. One of them ended up hiring me, now im not saying that the cologne had anything to do with it but it certainly didn’t hurt. Now if you’re interviewing with a guy, you’re on your own lol
    twitter.com/_notufatjesus

I tend to either opt for no fragrance whatsoever or a spray or two of Molecule 01 which isn't really detectable as a specific fragrance in itself.
    Creed Aventus lid wanted: please pm if you can help

What kind of job is it?

DO NOT WEAR FRAGRANCE TO A JOB INTERVIEW. PERIOD.

Sorry for the all caps. This is the first time I've used them. That's how strongly I feel about this issue. And it is based on personal experience as one of the partners that did the interviews and hiring for a company for several years.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Basenotes Plus

Prada Amber

treeman5823

You're really not supposed to wear fragrances to job interviews. Bad form.

You could get away with Bulgari PH. It's very professional and literally the most discreet frag I can think of.

Other than that I'd say don't wear any.

Relax everyone. He's not in the States. He's in Portugal. People there aren't adverse and averse to perfume. They're normal. Hurrah.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Relax everyone. He's not in the States. He's in Portugal. People there aren't adverse and averse to perfume. They're normal. Hurrah.
    Quite so! I remember a similar cultural division last time this issue was raised.

Olá Picollo30,

I think that one or two sprays of something like Platinium Egoiste or Davidoff coolwater is enough.

Unless the job interview is in a perfume store.

Abraço!!

Basenotes Plus

I've worn fragrances to all job interviews I've had in the States (I've only been employed here), and got all but one of the jobs I interviewed for (but also was over twenty minutes late for that interview).

For the last one I probably wore Armani Code Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by coney718 View Post
    I know everyone is saying don’t wear anything but I think one or 2 sprays of something light and inoffensive can’t hurt. Especially if the interviewer is a female she may like the scent and it may actually help you.....
    Well, this won't work with anyone I know including myself ....

My advise is with the majority: no fragrance or one spray maximum.

If the interviewer is female, she will check for appropriate, clean, well fitting clothes and polished shoes of good quality. Being well groomed and with a proper haircut will be noticed as well. If you are getting this right you have passed the first test.

Oh, PORTUGAL. Go for vintage Kouros. Show them there's a new sheriff in town.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

One spray of everything in your collection should do the trick.

Too funny! I needed to laugh today.

Banned
    Blog Entries

if he's in portugal, he should wear Bois Du Portugal

Basenotes Member

Something that hums close to your person like Gucci PH II. Or better yet nothing at all like previously mentioned

One spray of bleu de chanel on the chest. Noticeable but not over powering

On the flip side, I've worn Fumerie Turque when laying someone off. Seemed appropriate with the whole "funeral pyre" bit.
    The Bark Bites Back.

I asked the same question here once, overwhelming majority said don't wear anything. I wasn't going to, but right before the interview I sprayed Aventus on. Ended up getting an offer for the job, obvs has nothing to do with perfume. Honestly I'd wear fragrance if you felt like it, most people here say don't wear, don't wear, fuck that. There's no rule against smelling good. In many case it makes you comfortable, gives you confidence, I say why not. Granted, don't go overboard with application of the juice, but it's no crime to wear perfume. And frankly, if you are a dude it's a double standard, most women I've encountered at work are drowned in perfume in office environments. A lot of people say oh it's a first impression what if you offend them or allergic...whatever, life's taking chances, no need to be so bland about this.

Wear whatever you like, and on this topic in particular, I'd ignore the popular consensus. There's no right or wrong answer here, do whatever feels good man.

Banned
    Blog Entries

if you have to. something light and fresh. clean shower fresh or bvlgari pour homme

Be on the safe side man. Don't use anything. After the interview go crazy with 10 sprays of Lapidus Pour Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Be on the safe side man. Don't use anything. After the interview go crazy with 10 sprays of Lapidus Pour Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    I asked the same question here once, overwhelming majority said don't wear anything. I wasn't going to, but right before the interview I sprayed Aventus on. Ended up getting an offer for the job, obvs has nothing to do with perfume. Honestly I'd wear fragrance if you felt like it, most people here say don't wear, don't wear, fuck that. There's no rule against smelling good. In many case it makes you comfortable, gives you confidence, I say why not. Granted, don't go overboard with application of the juice, but it's no crime to wear perfume. And frankly, if you are a dude it's a double standard, most women I've encountered at work are drowned in perfume in office environments. A lot of people say oh it's a first impression what if you offend them or allergic...whatever, life's taking chances, no need to be so bland about this.

Wear whatever you like, and on this topic in particular, I'd ignore the popular consensus. There's no right or wrong answer here, do whatever feels good man.
    Nice response. I just had an interview on Wednesday. Told myself I would not wear anything after much contemplation. Wound up spraying my wrist with one shot of La Nuit. It helped calm my nerves and made me feel more comfortable. So yeah, just go with what you feel like doing.

I'd go with 2 sprays of YSL L'Homme on the neck and chest, one each.

1 Spray of Aventus if you ask me. Chest/neck.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post

+1, and quoted for truth. If I'm the interviewer, my first priority is to look for qualified candidates -- whether they're scented or not.

I used 6 sprays of Aventus, and ended up making out with the only female interviewer while the two male interviewers watched

depends on the job and on you. if youre applying for artistic director of a theater, expectations are different than if youre interviewing at Goldman Sachs. That applies to haircut, jewelry, clothes, and fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by anewtypedude View Post
    I used 6 sprays of Aventus, and ended up making out with the only female interviewer while the two male interviewers watched
    So six sprays of Aventus make you hallucinate. That is good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    depends on the job and on you. if youre applying for artistic director of a theater, expectations are different than if youre interviewing at Goldman Sachs. That applies to haircut, jewelry, clothes, and fragrance.
    The above sounds like reasonable advice.

My personal experience: I work in the IT sector in the US as an application programmer, and have had two job interviews in the last year or so. Got the offer both times. Each time I was wearing a moderate amount of fragrance (~3 sprays on shirt fabric). Once it was Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, the second time Bulgari Pour Homme Extreme.

Avoid any cologne for an interview at all costs...