Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Yatagan...does anyone actually like this?

Wow. I don't understand how this could appeal to anyone. To me it is crazy bad. I can perhaps understand the novelty of it but does anyone here actually like it? If so, when do you wear it? On what occasions? First scrubber for me.

Banned

Default Re: Yatagan...does anyone actually like this?

I have a brand new bottle that I ordered when I was drunk because the name sounded cool. I use it to make my sons finish their dinner threatening to spray them with it

I personally own and like it. It's an acquired taste, I admit.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    I have a brand new bottle that I ordered when I was drunk because the name sounded cool. I use it to make my sons finish their dinner threatening to spray them with it
    lolllll

Basenotes Plus

I love it but would never wear it to work.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Yes, many people do. You could search the threads here; you could check the reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121723.html where 99 people have written positive reviews; or you could just do the maths - hmm, this product has been in place since 1976. They're still making it, and people are still buying it. There must be plenty of people who like it.

You could also then figure that it is from the venerable house of Caron who have kept themselves to just 5 mens' fragrances, of which Yatagan is one, and that might mean something.

Like all perfumes it is to be worn on all and any occasion.

Overcome By Fumes

Yes, I like it. I wear it whenever I want. All occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Yes, many people do. You could search the threads here; you could check the reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121723.html where 99 people have written positive reviews; or you could just do the maths - hmm, this product has been in place since 1976. They're still making it, and people are still buying it. There must be plenty of people who like it.

You could also then figure that it is from the venerable house of Caron who have kept themselves to just 5 mens' fragrances, of which Yatagan is one, and that might mean something.

Like all perfumes it is to be worn on all and any occasion.
    Yeah. I was just reading the reviews. I smell nothing of what others are smelling. The following excerpt from this review kinda hit home though:

"I wish I could warm to this one, but my reactions to Yatagan range on a scale from "grin and bear it" to "please get it off me". The pine and castoreum meet and create an unpleasantly smoky, sweaty accord, unnervingly meaty yet rather human at the same time. I hate to resort to disgusting imagery, but Yatagan is a powerful muse, and smells of rancid, pine-smoked meat crammed up an unwashed anus."

That said, I am clearly in a small minority on this.
    Last edited by Mtnbkr123; 15th March 2013 at 05:26 AM.

Yatagan is pretty nasty stuff. You don't wear it, it wears you.

I'm not a castoreum fan and there's at least a bit of a note clash in the latest formulation of Yatagan, but one thing that nobody except me seems to perceive is a kind of "synthetic" quality. Perhaps a modern musk molecule was used that irritates me. Whatever it is, the scent comes across to me as not entirely natural, and that may be what is the "final straw." There is a scent called Les Copains Homme, which is like a softer, more natural version of today's Yatagan, and I suspect it is closer to the original formulation of Yatagan, so if you ever get a chance to sample that one, you may find it considerably more wearable, even though it is very similar.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    Yes, I like it. I wear it whenever I want. All occasions.
    This. A masterpiece quality scent, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

When I first smelled Yatagan (when it was launched in 1976) I recoiled with disgust. 30 minutes later I came back and bought a bottle. I don't know how it happened but I went from one extreme the other in that short space of time. I love Yatagan, and have both the vintage and the most recent formulation. The reformulated fragrance is still good (to me) but nowhere near as complex as the original. It is very much a polarising fragrance, I can see that, but I wear it whenever I feel like it; indoors and out.
    Last edited by David Ruskin; 15th March 2013 at 09:40 AM.

I do, the girlfriend does too. I find nothing stinky or all that controversial about it, I mainly see it as a very fine pine scent.

One of the best ever made. The epitome of civility, with real quality and character. A paragon of herbal, spicy, and woody. One of my favorites, especially in the summer. My girlfriend's second favorite to Sycomore.

But I didn't like it either when I first tried it. :-)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    When I first smelled Yatagan (when it was launched in 1976) I recoiled with disgust. 30 minutes later I came back and bought a bottle..
    How many shots did you do within those 30 minutes?

I have tried it on several occasions, but on each I haven't been able to get past the godawful skanky topnotes.

Well I will say that I have found the new longevity beast in my collection. It smells as strong on me this morning as it did last night. I may never get it off.

Perhaps, as it often happens, some people are just more sensitive to the particular musks used in a perfume. While it does not smell to me particularly clean, the reformulation doesn't smell especially dirty to me, it's more vegetal-woody. (I have not smelled vintage, though).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    How many shots did you do within those 30 minutes?
    Oh please!!

Basenotes Plus

I agree with my friend, cacio.

The current formulation is toned-down and more balanced (to me, it is cleaner...but still a nice outdoor vibe with vegetal nuances). I actually love the opening...the rich booziness and depth which reminds me of Vintage even further into the wear. A good amount of castoreum is no longer in current, comparatively. Present, but not very strong. However - I do find more musk. To me it is not that dirty, maybe just a touch (which works well here)...certainly not sweet. I don't have a problem with it - I actually miss the castoreum (depth!) of Vintage. The galbanum resin is a very key note that is like the 'glue' in this composition - appearing in the opening (top notes), but staying throughout the wearing into the base notes. Personally, and this is a polarizing scent...as we each have our own relationship with it, I like to wear it very closely sprayed on skin and rubbed in. I find that spraying from distance doesn't present the depth I like (which is reminiscent of Vintage). And, what is actually just as important - it smells wonderful on fabric. The transformation (and even presentation) of notes is significantly different.

To an untrained nose and even those that know scent (but are honest to themselves) - the 'celery' accord will come out. It comes from the galbanum, mint, watercress and basil in the top blending into the artemisia in the heart. The pine is fresh, green...and the wood is not as strong as before. I cannot fully avoid it, but close application (rubbed in) and layered with an additional spray plus a couple/few sprays to a dark shirt while wearing this and I get (to me), an ideal wearing. Overall, Caron created a more wearable reformulation of a classic scent. Vintage can be worn, appreciated and adorned in privacy at home - wonderful to wear on a cold, chilly day - and Yatagan also shows differently with rain.

I applaud the house for what is currently being made. It keeps its form to a good degree, but toning down what once was.

Not one I reach for often, but when I am in the mood - it is there, and I most definitely enjoy it.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Perhaps, as it often happens, some people are just more sensitive to the particular musks used in a perfume. While it does not smell to me particularly clean, the reformulation doesn't smell especially dirty to me, it's more vegetal-woody. (I have not smelled vintage, though).

cacio
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Absolutely!

I get spicy, herbal, fir and patchouli. I like good blasts of it most on a thick flannel shirt kind of day, but anytime's fine in moderation.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

People have tastes. As you know some tastes are acquired and some lack what's needed to acquire a taste.

for swap/sale:

I really enjoyed reading all these responses.

Mine is a very untrained nose. Maybe I will grow to appreciate this fragrance some day. I hope I do. My intial experience though has been nothing short of repulsive. I can honestly say that I would be hard pressed to come up with ANYTHING that has repulsed me more. I'm not talking about fragrances only. Anything, including the most disgusting things I have ever smelled in my life. Nothing remotely approaches my intial experiences with Yatagan in terms of disgust.

All that said, it really woke my nose up over night. When I awoke, it was as strong as it was last evening. I showered, scrubbed it off, and put on some Fahrenheit. Wow!!!!!!!! It was like a bomb. Of delicate, complex completely beautiful notes. From opening to drydown, and after. I have never appreciated Fahrenheit like I did this morning (and right now - OMG is it good). So maybe I have Yatagan to thank for that. It was like going from one end of the spectrum to the other. Up until now, I think I was largely anosmic to Fahrenheit, especially its top notes. Hallelujah! For the first time, I think I have finally been able to appreciate the beauty of Fahrenheit like others here. To the extent Yatagan was responsible, it was the best buy ever.

Then again, maybe all of this is in my head. Who cares though. I can finally smell Fahrenheit. Thank you Lord.

Homework for the future. If you ever get the chance (though these are niche and hard to find), try smelling:
    Secretions Magnifiques
    Boadicea Complex
    Kouros (vintage)
    Le Labo Oud 27

I wonder if any of them will generate a stronger reaction than Yatagan. But then, as said, everybody has his or her own gut reaction. I am hypersensitive to many marine notes, for instance.

cacio

I just bought a 4.2 oz bottle, so I better like it. In fact, I do. When the leather smell is about to overpower there comes a pleasant herbal rush. Complex indeed, but you can tell this is a work of a master perfumer.

I would second Kouros as being a "scrubber", as well as Secretions Magnifique (which is unwearable in my opinion). When I first smelled Kouros, my reaction was the same ; I could not believe that anything that vile could be sold. During the time when just about everyone was wearing it, my feeling did not change. I still think the same. Luckily we are all different.

I would second Kouros as being a "scrubber", as well as Secretions Magnifique (which is unwearable in my opinion). When I first smelled Kouros, my reaction was the same ; I could not believe that anything that vile could be sold. During the time when just about everyone was wearing it, my feeling did not change. I still think the same. Luckily we are all different.
    I just got Kouros too, the same time I got Pure Malt and Yatagan. I posted a separate thread on Kouros and said this (in part) in my post:

"Now the Kouros on the other hand...one spray only. And it's very nice. Beautiful bottle too and normally I couldn't care less about the bottle. It is a longevity and projection beast. Of nuclear proportions. And this coming from a guy who uses 6 sprays of Fahrenheit at a time and still complains. I sprayed one spray of it on one wrist, and 3 big blasts of Rive Gauche on the other and the Kouros walked all over it. Crushed it.

Anyway, for those who say the current formulation of Kouros is a neutered impotent embarrassment of it's former being, well maybe so - I have not tried Vintage Kouros. But the bottle I have is right there with A*Men, Le Male and 1Million in terms of its potency. It was a very pleasant surprise.

EDIT: I need to do a few more wearings of it but I think that Kouros may be the most potent frag I have in terms of longevity and projection. More so than anything I mentioned above."

I am sure you are galaxies beyond me in terms of your sophistication when it comes to fragrances so I am not at all taking issue with what you said. But to me, I find Kouros (the current formulation) to be anything but vile. To me it's fun, clean, and upbeat. Safe. Happy. As in "life is beautiful, Brady Bunch" happy. I get absolutely nothing animalic or controversial from it. Zero. It's just really potent. In measured doses I would not have a problem at all wearing this to my ultra-conservative workplace for example. Or on a first date. Really, anywhere, anytime. I haven't decided how much I like it yet but the reason it has not immediately risen to the top for me is not because it is vile. To the contrary, if anything, it might be because it lacks any edge of any sort.

All that said, I need to wear it more as I just got it.

It's interesting how different people smell different things.

No idea about "terms of sophistication", as I wrote above "luckily we are all different". I haven't smelled the most recent version of Kouros, I only know the original, and I remember when I first smelled it thinking "This smells of cat shit". I was clearly in the minority as for a while everyone wore it ; you couldn't not smell it.

If you enjoy your sample of Kouros, then I'm happy for you; that's what it is all about.

After hearing rave reviews, I kept on sampling it but didn't enjoy it at all. It is one of those highly rated on bn that just doesn't make sense to me.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 26th March 2013 at 09:51 AM.

I liked the sound of it from the reviews and descriptions but when I got a sample all I got was pine and musk. It smelt...strange. I didn't grab me and what sealed things for me was when my girlfriend caught a whiff and said I smelt like a kebab.

Not a compliment, in my book!

I have a bottle of Yatagan and I agree that it is an exotic fragrance. But I love its smell and I think it is wearable provided that you don't spray too much. Also, it is a bargain.

a staple in my wardrobe..a masterpiece...a panty dropper also!

Banned

Homework for the future. If you ever get the chance (though these are niche and hard to find), try smelling:
    Secretions Magnifiques
    Boadicea Complex
    Kouros (vintage)
    Le Labo Oud 27

I wonder if any of them will generate a stronger reaction than Yatagan. But then, as said, everybody has his or her own gut reaction. I am hypersensitive to many marine notes, for instance.

cacio

thanks to dear Cacio i tried vintage Yatagan......

for me this is all about deep green forest, deep dark green smell, ok later i noticed it can be maybe a bit like celery note...but nothing dirty there or unpleasant smells like masculine classics (like pino silvestre lol)

i will sniff it today again..i just thought people are describing something else when i read this....

also Le Labo Oud for me is not revoking that much,..its not nice at the beginning but later becomes like nice oud smell...a bit like thin....will revisit that as well

and Secretions is just unbarable that metalic note in there i can not say it stinks its just that one ugly note that provokes vomiting reaction

Yatagan for me is normal perfume as any other i remember how it felt so masculine and complex to me lol

Basenotes Member

So far it is the only Caron Fag I don't like. The dry down to me smells like Celery and I can't stand Celery. It is the first frag that literally made me sick to my stomach.
    Smelling Good on a Budget!

nope, nobody likes it. it's just a massive prank by caron.

How wonderful if you love it (like me); how sad if you don't. Seems it is a polarising fragrance; to say that nobody likes it is clearly untrue. The recent version is good, the original was superb.

Taste differs and that's OK in my world. The only thing I don't like about this one is that it doesn't last on my skin. And I'm infamous for spraying copious amounts of Black Aoud... One/two sprays don't exist in my fragrance-book

Shame it doesn't last on you. On me it lasts all day; and the vintage version last even longer.

I don't think it's too bad at all. I especially liked hearing someone say "what smells like dirty celery in here?"
    Not for everyone, not a compliment-getter, but a unique, affordable, masculine frag that's stood the test of time.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

It could well be the celery that causes the problem. I have known a couple of people who violently (and I do mean violently) hated celery, Hated the taste of it, hated the smell. To the extent that they could not stand to be in the same room, if there was a bunch of celery; and could not stand to taste anything with celery in it. Maybe that is the reaction over Yatagan.

A pillar and a staple in my wardrobe. Love this stuff.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Yes Alfarom, a pillar than unfortunately at moment i have not in my collection. I hope to find soon a full bottle.

I'm going to have to spray this again. These are from notes.

Just sprayed and the opening is supremely well balanced..... and that is slowly departing..... I can sense a lean towards charred celery incense.... it doesn't suit me in the slightest and is veering into the bitter/green/dank celery on my skin. Not ten minutes on now and the celery is all powerful and has drowned all the rather nice foresty woody opening notes..... it is physically making the back of my throat catch. Most interesting and actually like a slightly sweetened up side of galbanum. This sharp green note/s has totally dominated the scent on my skin.

I think I would really love this if the green wasn't so dominant in the middle, but galbanum is a hard beast to manage IMO. I would imagine this to be really lovely on the right skin but is pretty shouty-bitter-green on the wrong skin whilst full blast in the heart section.

I can feel it as a well thought out composition, but it just doesn't work on me in these mid stages..... later still the leathery aspects emerge and it gets nicer again. Turns into a softer woodsy castoreum creature like sawdusty dry suede in the woods. A beautiful dry down.

I can certainly see where the love/hate aspects are with this one.

Fascinating how fragrances perform on different skins. I get a hint of Celery in the top which is not that long lasting, after that a green animalic (Castoreum) and herbal woody accord which lasts for ages. After several hours all I get is Patchouli, Pine and yet more Castoreum.

To me, from Polo I get a strong note of pine, while from Yatagan I get a strong note of turpentine - just a bit over the edge for me. Current formulation.

I've never been as desperate to try a fragrance as I have since reading this thread! I own and love Knize Ten and I have a sample of Secretions Magnifique which, while I can't ever imagine wanting to wear, I have come to appreciate in a way. I wonder what my chances are of getting on with Yatagan...
    Smelling good on a budget!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by voodoodanny View Post
    I've never been as desperate to try a fragrance as I have since reading this thread! I own and love Knize Ten and I have a sample of Secretions Magnifique which, while I can't ever imagine wanting to wear, I have come to appreciate in a way. I wonder what my chances are of getting on with Yatagan...
    Go for it!

This may be an acquired taste but until you try it you will never know. It may end up atop your list of loves.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I wonder what you would say about Annick Goutal Sables then?!
    Agree with guys, both of them are acquired tastes.
    I crave for yatagan now, i will go and spray!

While it does not smell to me particularly clean, the reformulation doesn't smell especially dirty to me, it's more vegetal-woody. (I have not smelled vintage, though).

cacio
    This reflects my experience. Unfortunately the vegetal part comes across with a very strong celery note that doesn't work for me. I also find it a bit old-school for my tastes. I don't think I'd say I like it, but I don't dislike it either.

Well, thanks to this thread I ordered a sample and currently have it on the back of my hand. First impressions are far from repulsion. To my nose there's an accord of something incense-like (I know it's not listed in the notes) nestled amid the deep greens and musty leather. If this is an acquired taste, then it's one I'm in the process of acquiring. Challenging but impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by SmellGoodPimp View Post
    Dont fool youself with the acquired taste bs. Yatagan or SHitagan is a fragrance fit for Jabba the Hut. If you are homosexual and want the girls to run away then spray this. If you want to over power frail men to do the dirty wear Yatagan lol
    Been single a while? You can't keep blaming Yatagan, dude

Dont fool youself with the acquired taste bs. Yatagan or SHitagan is a fragrance fit for Jabba the Hut. If you are homosexual and want the girls to run away then spray this. If you want to over power frail men to do the dirty wear Yatagan lol
    LOL, don't beat about the bush SmellGoodPimp. Stop holding back and let us know how you really feel about this scent.

Does this mean you don't like it?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

The celery smell really really makes me mad, otherwise I would like it. It is also a ramen noodle smelling thing of a fragrance.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianHT View Post
    So far it is the only Caron Fag I don't like. The dry down to me smells like Celery and I can't stand Celery. It is the first frag that literally made me sick to my stomach.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I rather let a homesless person with TB from skidrow piss on my face before I put that trash on my skin. Smells so bad it may give you skin cancer
    Nicely put..
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Sensed it only once, as a part of the small but tasteful fragrance collection of a lady who liked and used it.

Frankly speaking, my impression was a positive one, but it may have been slightly biased by certain factors: already liked her as a person, already liked most of the other fragrances in her collection too, also liked when she was wearing it, as she could pull it off very stylishly and also effortlessly natural.

Do I see that someone has been "nonpersoned"? A couple of comments have been removed.

Lots of talk about celery. It's the reason I didn't like Yatagan for two months after buying it. My girlfriend loved the stuff, she went on and on about how it smelled like a temple in the forest, etc. One day I tried it, the celery was gone and all I smelled was the best herbal-spicy-woody thing imaginable. In that regard, second only to Patou pour Homme.

Every girl and woman I know considers it one of the best things they've smelled. Like many great fragrances with real character, you have to give it time, and you judge it on the drydown and it's sillage. Being in a hurry, jamming your nose into the back of your hand or wherever usually won't give you an accurate perception on anything. Try spraying it on someone else, wait forty-five minutes or longer and see what happens. If you don't like it keep trying it over the next two to six months or two years. There is no guarantee that you will ever like it, it might not be your kind of fragrance. But it can easily take that long for your olfactory system to work some of them out.
    Last edited by pluran; 31st March 2013 at 11:49 AM.

Do I see that someone has been "nonpersoned"? A couple of comments have been removed.
    Rather retarted. A mod believes this is an alternative account when infact this is my only account.

It could well be the celery that causes the problem. I have known a couple of people who violently (and I do mean violently) hated celery, Hated the taste of it, hated the smell. To the extent that they could not stand to be in the same room, if there was a bunch of celery; and could not stand to taste anything with celery in it. Maybe that is the reaction over Yatagan.

I hate celery, but I love Yatagan. I can smell something, like celery salt note in Yatagan, but only from close. In distance I can smell just sunny pine forest and peppery leather (almost tobacco note). Wonderful. Great alternative to Yatagan is Phileas (Nina Ricci)