Code of Conduct

Default How Safe is It to wear Mitsouko and Shalimar at work?

Hi Guys,

I read a lot about the guerlain classics here at BN and I discovered that many of you wear these wonderful fragrances. I tested and I love Shalimar and Mitsouko EDP. These perfumes are truly delicious. But I get worried about people´s reactions at work. So the question is: is it safe and appropriate to wear Mitsouko and Shalimar at work? What has been your experience with it? Please tell me your experiences.

P.S. Please don´t simply say "wear what you dig". This isn´t enough. I need hands on experience with the stuff.

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: How Safe is It to wear Mitsouko and Shalimar at work?

No casualties reported. Very safe.

Smelling good speaks for itself. I seldom get comments positive or negative, and I can't say I recall any particular reaction when I wore either of these to work. I am fairly light on the application usually. I work in hospitals and medical offices which some would consider more sensitive locations to be wearing fragrance.

I would fall out of my chair if you actually had any trouble wearing either one.

Some people may wonder why are you wearing the same thing that their mother or grandmother used to wear. But I think they are both safe for work as long as you keep the dosage down to one spray.

BTW the EDC version of Shalimar is very butch IMO. I have not tried Shalimar Light but it is supposed to be a safe version for men to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    So the question is: is it safe and appropriate to wear Mitsouko and Shalimar at work?
    I would say it depends on where you work and how conservative the clientele and work colleagues are. So I wouldn't wear them to a lawyer's office, for example, but might if working at a fashion chain, theatre, or high-end strip joint.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    No casualties reported. Very safe.

Smelling good speaks for itself. I seldom get comments positive or negative, and I can't say I recall any particular reaction when I wore either of these to work...
    Ditto.
    I think most people pay very little attention to others' perfumes. It's only when one reeks that it can become an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I would say it depends on where you work and how conservative the clientele and work colleagues are. So I wouldn't wear them to a lawyer's office, for example, but might if working at a fashion chain, theatre, or high-end strip joint.

I work at a College. It is very informal (sometimes teachers wear polo shirts with chinos). The male students don´t usually wear perfume and are incapable of discerning if it is a Guerlain or a Diptyque. The female students do wear perfumes sometimes, but the popular clean aquatic types. They are unused to the classics.

I may be shocking them. I fear I may be.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I think they are excellent choices. I have been wearing those, plus others that are more feminine than those all over town including close-up enviroments like my Dr.'s office with no strange looks or comments. Feminine frags including Mitsouko and Shalimar take on a different, masculine accord on men than they do on a women.
    I would also say it depends on your attitude. If you feel comfortable with yourself, then there are few frags you can't wear.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

It depends on the type of mentality at your workplace.

The more liberal, the less negative the connotations. But at that level, even if you were to wear a sporty Cologne, it'd be the same.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    It depends on the type of mentality at your workplace.

The more liberal, the less negative the connotations. But at that level, even if you were to wear a sporty Cologne, it'd be the same.
    The mentality is too heterogeneous. Some people are accepting and liberal, and others are extremely conservative and close minded. I would guess the population is 60% liberal, 40% conservative.

Try some Mitsouko for a while and see how that goes . . . and as for Shalimar, it is nowhere near as candy sweet as half the stuff marketed to men these days.

then spray 60% of what you normally would spray

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Institution

I wear both to my office, I've always felt comfortable doing so
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

In my case - would never be safe.

My own experience with these kind of fragrances is people will annoy you by saying their mother or their grandmother wore that etc, etc - but as Hedonist points out, it depends what it's like at your work. I would save it for another time, personally.

At work, moderation is the key to any fragrance. I find that these wear extremely well and will not offend if you don't overapply. Your fragrance will react to your confidence level. Trial and error. Put a little on, take it for a test drive at work and see how it makes you feel.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Depends on how many old ladies are around. You wouldn't want to wear the same thing.

I would not do this.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Depends on how many old ladies are around. You wouldn't want to wear the same thing.
    When was the last time you come across fine old ladies wearing Mitsouko? Honestly, i find these type of replies disrespectful and borderline ageist.

I've worn many fragrances to work, incl. Mitsouko and others deemed less acceptable to the Le Male-worshipping or calone-loving crowd. I find that as long as you keep the projection/sillage discreet you can wear just about anything. But if you doubt your own sensibilities in fragrancewear I suggest you play it safe and stick to the office-friendly genre.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 15th March 2013 at 03:09 PM.

To me Mitsouko and Shalimar are very different scents in different classes, and the same answer doesn't apply to both.

Shalimar is probably the most male friendly of any scent marketed to women. Yes, you might get some funny looks if someone's mom or girlfriend once wore it, but it could pass for unisex pretty easily. Personally, I find it too feminine for men, but again that's a taste issue. Do not over do it, as with any work scent.

Mitsouko is in another league -- it is far more feminine. Yes, I know people say it's wearable by men. If you think so, great. I personally think it is clearly feminine, and clearly smells just plain wrong on a guy. That's just me. But since you're asking about work, just realize that the number of people that think Mitsouko will smell strange on you is double or triple the number that will give you a funny look for wearing Shalimar. And for God's sake, go easy on the stuff. Wear less than you normally would. Way less.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    When was the last time you come across fine old ladies wearing Mitsouko? Honestly, i find these type of replies disrespectful and borderline ageist.
    Twice near my local Tescos. They wore Mitsouko.

I find your reply borderline too serious

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Sorry. Didn't know you work at Tesco.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    In my case - would never be safe.
    Don't you own the place Hednic ...

I'm not implying that since you own the place you can bloody well as you please. Well you can but it's not always polit to do so.

I'm implying that since you are the big guy on top, you actually have the oppurtinity to fine tune people's tastes, tolerance and threshold to non-mainstream perfume.

for swap/sale:

Sorry. Didn't know you work at Tesco.
    I still wonder what you find disrespectful and ageist about the claim that older ladies may wear old Guerlain scents to be honest.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

The disrespectful part comes from the earlier implicit suggestion that one should never smell like an older person even if it's as wonderful as a Guerlain classic. It's not funny. Everybody gets old. Our grandparents are old. Why do people view 'old' so negatively? A fragrance is neutral but people tend to form associations with it, not all of which are positive. I just wish it isn't so.

I'll get off my soapbox now. Classics imo are to be appreciated not just by the old. But back to topic, treat fragrance like a wardrobe accessory and you'll probably find it easier to decide what to wear to work.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 15th March 2013 at 03:39 PM.

treeman5823

Just wear a little bit.

The disrespectful part comes from the earlier implicit suggestion that one should never smell like an older person even if it's as wonderful as a Guerlain classic. It's not funny. Everybody gets old. Our grandparents are old. Why do people view 'old' so negatively? A fragrance is neutral but people tend to form associations with it, not all of which are positive. I just wish it isn't so.
    Apart from that nobody suggested such thing, we can agree . I wear Mitsouko, Shalimar and plenty of old women's/men's scents (and I'm only jokingly calling them that. If anything, to me, it's a plus if something doesn't smell like the typical, modern mainstream scent). Would I wish to smell like an old, or young if you wish, lady, or a male colleague, that works at the same place as I do? Not really. And there's the whole people recognizing that you wear a lady's scent thing, of course, which, depending on the work environment, can be awkward.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Don't you own the place Hednic ...

I'm not implying that since you own the place you can bloody well as you please. Well you can but it's not always polit to do so.

I'm implying that since you are the big guy on top, you actually have the oppurtinity to fine tune people's tastes, tolerance and threshold to non-mainstream perfume.

I'd revel in such an opportunity - educating the uninitiated for a sweeter smelling workplace. Bring it on
    In all seriousness, self-confidence and a little restraint is all that's required. I've worn Shalimar to work on numerous occasions without issue. The one comment I did receive from a co-worker was overwhelmingly positive.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    I'd revel in such an opportunity - educating the uninitiated for a sweeter smelling workplace. Bring it on
    In all seriousness, self-confidence and a little restraint is all that's required. I've worn Shalimar to work on numerous occasions without issue. The one comment I did receive from a co-worker was overwhelmingly positive.
    You are a beacon of leadership Jon!

for swap/sale:

Motsouko is very unisex, it's a reference chypre, but Shalimar; that's a tad too feminine for a guy to pull off Imo...bother are glorious though

My wife has a bottle of Shalimar that I bought her in the mid-1980s, and recently she confessed "I don't like that one. It smells so old-ladyish." I've managed to convince her since then that it's a vintage masterpiece. She's come around to my way of thinking, fortunately. It smells wonderful on her.

So, it's not just guys who commit the sin of referring to fragrances in ageist terms. Glad I talked her into Shalimar again.

For me: like it, can't wear it. Keep trying to get along with Mitsouko too, but so far not much luck with it. Love it on women. Hasn't worked for me yet.

Agree with other posters: almost anything can work in the workplace if applied with moderation. If you're curious, go ahead and give them a whirl. Best wishes for success. Shalimar and Mitsouko didn't become classics by accident. High probability for success with them.

"what's your is mine"

now my lovely bottle of Shalimar is @my ex

she bloody took my beloved bottle of Shalimar, now i got none

sometime/rarely i wear mitsouko exttait to work and its work like a charm
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Personally I don't like either fragrance. They do remind me of an old lady. They also remind my wife of an old lady - tried to hive her my samples - she didn't want them.

However, if you like them, wear them to work. But as others mentioned, you should go easy since they are powerful fragrances, and so may not blend into a workplace environment.

PS - it is not "ageism" to say they smell like an old lady. It is simply pointing out a mental association - the same way people do with almost every other fragrance. Some say 1 Million reminds them of teenagers. I don't expect younger kids to kick and scream and cry about ageism. Lets all have a little backbone and stop looking for things to be offended by. And certainly stop being offended on behalf of other people. I would expect that from a little old lady

I think Mitsouko would be the wiser choice but keep the dosage down to a minimum. I own Amouage J25 which is very similar to Mitsouko. I feel it would work great in warmer weather and a short sleeve dress shirt. For some reason I feel it would be way too soft for me when wearing a thick flannel shirt or down jacket. It just doesn't seem right.

IMO Shamilar is very risky. If you care about what other's think. Older men and sweet fragrances can be creepy. Again just IMO.

A practical hint, in case it hasn't been mentioned, with some of the classics like Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit, Shalimar, Cuir de Russie, Bois des Iles et al it can actually work well for a guy to wear the Parfum/ Extrait - less projection and sparkle, wears closer and longer - overall a more sedate experience and useful if you want to enjoy it for yourself.

Well said. I have often stated that there is no such thing as an "old man" or "old lady" smell, just people with set tastes in what they wear, and in some cases a far more close-minded view of fragrances than my own. Its too bad, they're missing out on quite a few nice fragrances.

I've worn many fragrances to work, incl. Mitsouko and others deemed less acceptable to the Le Male-worshipping or calone-loving crowd. I find that as long as you keep the projection/sillage discreet you can wear just about anything. But if you doubt your own sensibilities in fragrancewear I suggest you play it safe and stick to the office-friendly genre.

IMHO, great scents. Some fems are more masculines than masculines (I am among the ones thinking Dior Homme is Polge's better joke at the industry). I have a fondness for 1970's greens.

IAs to the "I don't want ladies wearing the same as I do" factor:

1-. Not in France.
    2-. In the USA, depends on the ladies at your office.
    3-. Around here, completely safe. Unless a 90ish - 110ish woman, no one will recognize them.

Now, you can give a damn about wearing something ladies use.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post

IAs to the "I don't want ladies wearing the same as I do" factor:

1-. Not in France.
    2-. In the USA, depends on the ladies at your office.
    3-. Around here, completely safe. Unless a 90ish - 110ish woman, no one will recognize them.

Now, you can give a damn about wearing something ladies use.
    Yeap, right, in France it is compulsory for old ladies to wear Shalimar & Mitsouko.

I'm gonna deceive you... Old french ladies, like my mother or my mother in law, consider that Shalimar is a very naughty girl and prefer "après l'ondée" ou "L'heure bleue" which are about nostalgia...

I have already worn Mitsouko at work (and I'm still alive)