Code of Conduct

Default Trying Polo again...

So I got nostalgic and bought a bottle of Polo. I wore this in 1983 in High School. So I sprayed it and the first 2 or 3 min. were different from what I remembered. Then... It was EXACTLY like the old high school frag. Was it reformulated or did I just forget the opening? I don't care b/c it is exactly like the vintage after a couple of min. Man, after trying and owning some of the most expensive niche in the world...This cheap old frag. is STILL CLASSIC!!!

treeman5823

Default Re: Trying Polo again...

Reformulated or no, this stuff is fantastic. Similar to Yatagan, but truth be told, I might like Polo a little more.

I enjoy my vintage bottle of Polo Crest, nice stuff! :-)

Enjoy...
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Might be reformulated but if it's the same dry down. It's good enough.

I wore polo when I was young. It used to be my signature scent. I can tell you for sure that the new juice is reformulated, but it is a very very very subtle reformulation. It lost a touch of sweetness and some of the green power of the opening. But as I said it is very subtle. I bought a new bottle recently annd I do not regret it one bit.

Another classic that I love, on the other hand, was reformulated with a heavy hand. Azzaro pour homme lost most of its powerful basenotes. I can still relate to it, but it is a different perfume. It is not a powerhouse anymore. At least in my opinion.

Has always been a good frag. Enjoy!

Never liked Polo - decades back and still now.

Sound Scents

A classic and a favorite of mine for sure. I too wore it in the 80s and still love it today.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie

Polo is actually one of those fragrances that, when I smell it on somebody else, I think it actually smells pretty good, but when I smell it out of the bottle or on myself I just don't like it at all. I can certainly appreciate it as a classic, however.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    Reformulated or no, this stuff is fantastic. Similar to Yatagan, but truth be told, I might like Polo a little more.
    One big difference is Polo has a ton of smoky birch tar, while Yatagan has none or nearly none.

Also, Yatagan focuses on wormwood for its herbal accord, while Polo features rosemary.

Polo is sheer genius

It *has* been reformulated, scent is a little different (but not bad), but longevity and projection suck now.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

I loved it on my university boyfriend.

Yea, It is a testament to the fact that there are classic fragrances out there that don't cost $300...I spray it and hear Journey, Foreigner, The Police and Michael Jackson...when the music and the fragrances were classics... Ahh...I'm glad I bought it!

It was my signature scent in High School, along with about every single other guy in my high school class that wore cologne.

Good God, did girls like it back then.

Almost positive it was reformulated, but most reports on basenotes from people who know the new and old (at least the ones I've read) report that they're nearly identical.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    I wore polo when I was young. It used to be my signature scent. I can tell you for sure that the new juice is reformulated, but it is a very very very subtle reformulation. It lost a touch of sweetness and some of the green power of the opening. But as I said it is very subtle. I bought a new bottle recently annd I do not regret it one bit.

Another classic that I love, on the other hand, was reformulated with a heavy hand. Azzaro pour homme lost most of its powerful basenotes. I can still relate to it, but it is a different perfume. It is not a powerhouse anymore. At least in my opinion.
    Agreed. Polo is still a very unique scent, and worth having in a collection. The reformulation on Polo is "better" done than the Azzaro reformulation. As you said, the Azzaro isn't a powerhouse anymore, while the Polo still is (in my oppinion).

Not bad. The top notes though smell almost like meat or something, slightly off and disgusting. I'd imagine Thierry Mugler to smell like it if you'd bury your nose deep into his sweaty folds after a prolonged workout and him eating salami.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Not bad. The top notes though smell almost like meat or something, slightly off and disgusting. I'd imagine Thierry Mugler to smell like it if you'd bury your nose deep into his sweaty folds after a prolonged workout and him eating salami.
    ahhhh hahahahahahaha!!!!!! To think you started this with "not bad." Oh, the irony....

I used Polo as a signature scent in the 80s when I could afford it, and as an adult have always owned it or at least the majority of my life. I do have to say that the reformulation is a lot different. I have a couple of the Polo after shave balm "tubes" that came with gift sets. I never thought I would use them. Imagine how happy I was to see that they were Cosmair! They were stored properly(though not on purpose), and the smell is REAL Polo. The balm lasts longer than the current reformulation EDT. As for the current version? Well, if you loved Bohemian Rhapsody, I guess you could still call "Radio Gaga" Queen, but it lacks almost everything that made the classic great.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    It *has* been reformulated, scent is a little different (but not bad), but longevity and projection suck now.
    This....+1

Banned
    Blog Entries

Not into it at all..
    2 piney and very annoying

Great fragrance which was a rock star in it's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
    ahhhh hahahahahahaha!!!!!! To think you started this with "not bad." Oh, the irony....
    The meaty top notes don't last very long, so they're not that much of a problem. Rest is quite nice.

Loved Polo since high school. It's a very distinguished sexy scent. Mmmmm
    It's been a long hot Summer in Sydney, looking forward to Winter & wearing vanilla fragrances.