Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A Fragrant Oddyssey

AQUALAMBARA ~ DIEGO DALLA PALMA

A masculine fragrance lauched in 1993. Discontinued.

Classed as a woody chypre

Notes Top
    Aldehyde, Bergamot, Coriander, Green Note, Lavender, Rosemary

Middle
    Geranium, Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, Orris, Pine Needle, Rose,

Base
    Amber, Cistus, Leather, Musk, Oakmoss, Patchouli, Santal, Vetiver

- - - Updated - - -

This is one of those rare fragrances that contains a strange, beautiful note that's almost impossible to describe.
    Very sophisticated, incorporating a cool metalic note and subtle, powdery palma violet and rose. My nose also detects a rich tobacco note.
    Silliage and longevity are excellent.
    Last edited by david; 15th March 2013 at 06:43 PM.
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A Fragrant Oddyssey

Sounds lovely - & love your Camellias too

This could be the start of a really amazing thread, recording discontinued & unusual fragrances!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi david,

I also own this fragrance, and I can say that this is the best tobacco-based fragrance that I have ever experienced.

Due to its rarity, I try to use it quite a few times, so the bottle lasts a long time.

I know it will be hard to find another to replace it.

It is because of perfumes like this that I'm an obsessed with fragrances.

Congrats,

mdclx

I like the bottle cap on this one.

treeman5823

Great thread, great bottle. Almost sounds like you're describing Nombre Noir.

Post Thanks / Like

SANDALO DEL KASHMIR ~ PERLIER

Nobody does it quite like the italians.
    An incredible fragrance at an incredibly low price.
    Get this quick. Perlier turns them out fast and tends to discontinue them after a few years.
    To give you an example of how good this fragrance is.... it has shot straight to my top ten favourites and I have bought fourteen bottles as back up....just in case ! Three words should be eliminated from the bottle....... "for men", (this is a unisex fragrance) ~ and "sandalwood". This fragrance has nothing to do with sandalwood.
    This one has everything to do with Aromatics Elixir from Clinique and Aramis 900, but actually surpasses both. A sweet tangerine note makes this one just that bit better.
    If you want the ultimate feelgood factor fragrance, look no further ~ this is it.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for sharing these gems...thought I was bad with 'back-ups'!

And agree - Italian stuff has style.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    Great thread, great bottle. Almost sounds like you're describing Nombre Noir.
    Re. Aqualambara. Thanks. There is a resemblance to Nombre Noir, ( I thought about mentioning that in the description !), but the tobacco note in this makes it that much more interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Thank you so much for sharing these gems...thought I was bad with 'back-ups'!

And agree - Italian stuff has style.
    Thanks fror your appreciation !

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mdclx View Post
    Hi david,

I also own this fragrance, and I can say that this is the best tobacco-based fragrance that I have ever experienced.

Due to its rarity, I try to use it quite a few times, so the bottle lasts a long time.

I know it will be hard to find another to replace it.

It is because of perfumes like this that I'm an obsessed with fragrances.

Congrats,

mdclx
    Thanks mdclx.....yes this one is harder to find. Glad you own it !

David, you're the man when it comes to bringing up these rare classic gems. Never tried it, but it sounds nice bro.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    SANDALO DEL KASHMIR ~ PERLIER

Nobody does it quite like the italians.
    An incredible fragrance at an incredibly low price.
    Get this quick. Perlier turns them out fast and tends to discontinue them after a few years.
    To give you an example of how good this fragrance is.... it has shot straight to my top ten favourites and I have bought fourteen bottles as back up....just in case ! Three words should be eliminated from the bottle....... "for men", (this is a unisex fragrance) ~ and "sandalwood". This fragrance has nothing to do with sandalwood.
    This one has everything to do with Aromatics Elixir from Clinique and Aramis 900, but actually surpasses both. A sweet tangerine note makes this one just that bit better.
    If you want the ultimate feelgood factor fragrance, look no further ~ this is it.
    Available for less than 8 euros online...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Available for less than 8 euros online...
    .....and the quality of the juice smells like €180.
    I really hope someone will try this and report back. For italian members it's available at the chain called IperSoap.
    ....guaranteed to get you on cloud nine !

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    David, you're the man when it comes to bringing up these rare classic gems. Never tried it, but it sounds nice bro.
    Thanks sjg3839. Here's another gem worth checking out

BALAFRE VERT ~ LANCOME
    Last edited by david; 16th March 2013 at 03:24 PM.

Pretty cool. Reminds me of a soda bottle.

Post Thanks / Like

PURE CACAO ~ MAVIVE

The most luxurious smelling chocolate perfume I have ever encountered.
    Incredibly sensual and very wearable.

Once again, an excellent quality italian fragrance for an incredibly low price.
    Puts a lot of so called "niche quality" outputs to shame.
    This fragrance, along with the likes of Sandalo del Kashmir, will make you re~think the whole structure of perfumes and change your perspective regarding price and quality.
    Last edited by david; 16th March 2013 at 11:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great idea for thread David. Please keep them coming.
    My mom's great. I appreciate her sense of humor, patience and fondness for daytime drinking. :0)

Post Thanks / Like

ROSE INTENSE ~ SEVELINE

A simple structured rose fragrance.
    100% natural/biological.
    Eau de Parfum strength for approximately €14.

My only criticism with this fragrance is the lack of longevity, (possibly due to the fact that it is 100% natural and without the use of a fixative).
    An ideal perfume to use for layering.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    Great idea for thread David. Please keep them coming.
    Thankyou !

- - - Updated - - -

A behind the scenes look at a great fragrance. I'm not sure how many people are aware of this, but some fragrances are designed in advance and not for a particular house/brand. If a house/brand tries these "ready made" creations, and likes one enough ~ then it is picked out for, (hopefully) stardom. In effect they are purchasing the finished product, instead of creating from scratch ~ which is obviously the cheaper option, when launching a new release.
    One such case is this creation, "Bois de Loupe".

......which later, (with the addition of the preferred colourants) went on to become this

- - - Updated - - -

For any guy who likes the smell of Angel, (womens), but hasn't got the nerve to wear it, this just may be the answer !
    Jaguar Mark II was created by Olivier Cresp, who also created Angel. This fragrance contains the special "angel",(patchouli) accord, but in a more subtle form.
    Last edited by david; 20th March 2013 at 10:19 PM.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

A behind the scenes look at a great fragrance. I'm not sure how many people are aware of this, but some fragrances are designed in advance and not for a particular house/brand. If a house/brand tries these "ready made" creations, and likes one enough ~ then it is picked out for, (hopefully) stardom. In effect they are purchasing the finished product, instead of creating from scratch ~ which is obviously the cheaper option, when launching a new release.
    One such case is this creation, "Bois de Loupe". End quote

Never realised that - thanks for the info David, fascinating - is that still common now, or was it more with the older stuff?

Yes, those natural rose things don't last on the skin if they're any good - but agree that they do add an extra lift layered with other stuff, love roses myself.

Nobody here that I know of sells the Perlier - only the soaps, etc., maybe I'll go hassle the people who stock the soaps next week as it could be a good seller for them.

How on earth do you find them all?
    Last edited by lpp; 17th March 2013 at 09:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Like lpp asked where do you find these gems?

BTW, have you tried any from Iunx?
    My mom's great. I appreciate her sense of humor, patience and fondness for daytime drinking. :0)

Post Thanks / Like

LANCETTI UOMO ~ 1982
    A leather chypre

In my view this is one of the most beautiful and underrated men's fragrances ever created.
    Personally, I find similarities with Patou Pour Homme.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    Like lpp asked where do you find these gems?

BTW, have you tried any from Iunx?
    Most of thefragrances I have mentioned are readily available on the net, (ebay etc.). AquaLambarda is more difficult to find though.
    I have never heard of Iunx. Thanks for mentioning the brand. I just looked on the net. They look very prestigious !! I am not so much into niche perfumes, simply because of the price tag !!!.... I prefer collecting discontinued fragrances, but if I come across them I will definitely try them.
    Last edited by david; 20th March 2013 at 10:22 PM.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Those Italians again

Any more photos yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Another Italian Beauty.
    ANIMA VIBRANTE ~ I DISTILLATI
    (I Coloniali/Atkinson's)

Stunning. Niche quality. Very sensual.
    There were at least four varients made under the name I Distillati. Anima Vibrante is my favourite.

Last edited by david; 20th March 2013 at 11:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing so many underrated and/or less known masterpieces with us. There is definitely some more place in my sampling and, possibly, future purchases list (in order to accommodate at least some of these, if I ever find them in retail).

Post Thanks / Like

MARRAKECH TALES ~ MAURER + WIRTZ 1996 (discontinued)
    FISHBONE MAN 2005 (discontinued)
    This fragrance started life as Marrakech Tales and several years after being discontinued was reborn again under the name Fishbone Man. A very strange name I know, (it is a company manufacturing jeanswear and clothes for the young crowd ~ hence the name). The company bought the license/fragrance from M+W.
    There are a couple of blips in the directory. The notes listed for Fishbone Man are not the right ones, and Marrakech Tales has been spelled differently ~ so if you want to find it in the directory, spell it Marrake(sh) Tales.
    MT/FM is a simple structured citrus fragrance based around grapefruit, orange and cardamom. There are other notes, but I cannot recall them all. There is some cedarwood in the drydown.
    As simple and drugstore orientated as it is, MT/FT has something special. It projects fantastically, but close up smells not so special. Rather like the trick of throwing the voice....this juice smells wonderful from afar, rather than close up. Having said that, this is by no means a powerhouse fragrance. It is simple, elegant and fresh. Great for daytime/Summer wear.
    I have had an enormous amount of compliments wearing this, probably more than any other fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice thread, David. I'm enjoying reading it.

I think some of these are probably very difficult to find in the states.

Just doing a quick google search I was unable to find any vendors selling Sandalo Kashmir or Pure Cacao. I think I'll stay on the hunt for these two as they sound great!

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see this thread doing wonders for the Italian tourist trade this summer David.
    And I hope it encourages people to look around - as much as the internet had broadened our horizons, it has equally limited them in some respects as we are becoming too used to click & buy, rather than search & sniff
    Some stunning bottles , and simple citric things are so refreshing in summer - MT/FM sounds very interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

FERRARI CUVÉE ~ 1998
    Discontinued.

This offering towers above all the other fragrances Ferrari have produced.
    It may be hard to find, but worth the effort.

- - - Updated - - -

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________

MOSCHUS ORIENTAL LOVE ~ 1980(?) Sophie Nerval
    Discontinued.

This is a real insider tip.
    Not so many people know this range of moschus fragrances produced by Nerval, but in Germany they have attained a cult status. If you look on the german ebay platform you will find them. They usually go for auction ~ and they can go high !
    There are two variants, an edt form ~ like the one I have, or a stronger oil based perfume. Both variants are good, and although I haven't smelled the entire range ~ the ones I have smelled are all good. You will get an idea of the most popular ones in the range by the prices sellers are asking for.....or how high they go on auction.
    Unfortunately they are not listed on the basenotes directory, but most of them are listed on the fragrantica directory along with photographs and the olfactory notes.
    "Supposedly", they contained real deer musk and were subsequently banned, (see fragrantica for more details).

.........humble message to frequent readers. If you notice I have uploaded something new, please could you bump the thread by saying eg "updated", (so that others know I have added a new fragrance). Thanks !
    Last edited by david; 23rd March 2013 at 11:36 PM.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Reading this thread I smile, there are hundreds and hundreds of such perfumes in Italy -sold at ridiculous prices- a whole book library is not enough to contain descriptions and pictures!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    MOSCHUS ORIENTAL LOVE ~ 1980(?) Sophie Nerval
    Discontinued.
    "Supposedly", they contained real deer musk and were subsequently banned, (see fragrantica for more details).
    Moschus has the "recycle" symbol on the bottle, most likely it is mid/end of the Nineties.
    Deer musk was banned in 1979, so probably it was used for the last time -and only for most luxury perfumes- at the beginning of '80.