Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default ATTENTION all Dolce&Gabbana owners.....

ATTENTION all DOLCE&GABBANA owners....
    The D&G batch code hypothesis

hi, my friends,
    today I had a pleasant discussion with a friend of mine, an expert in perfumery topics, about the "strange" batch codes in Dolce&Gabbana perfumes (why use four, five, six numbers in different times?).
    We observed many bottles of various D&G scents (male/ female/ different fragrances/ splash and spray bottles/ made in Italy/ in Germany/ in UK ), and , at the end, we arrived to this theory:

First of all, don't consider the cosmetic check, in this case it's a bit unreliable, since it considers only the period 2001-2010.
    Second: D&G probably has an inusual code. The first digit, however, indicates the year. Here it is in a few words:

until 1995: five-digits batch number (for example 45321: first digit is 4, so it means "produced in 1994")
    from 1996 to 2005: six-digits batch number ( for example 635423 or 702765 or 945832: these mean "produced in 1996, 1997, 1999", respectively)
    from 2006: four-digits batch number (for example 7425 or 9323 or 2123: these mean "produced in 2007, 2009, 2012", respectively)

Could you check and verify this theory with your bottles?
    If this theory is true, all Made in Germany and UK bottles will have the 4-digit code.
    On the contrary, almost all Made in Italy bottles (except 2006-2008 ones) will have 5digits or 6digits code.
    Last edited by Andrč Moreau; 16th March 2013 at 05:41 AM.

Default Re: ATTENTION all Dolce&Gabbana owners.....

Good detective work! Luckily in my case don't need to worry as I don't own or collect any from this house. Great info for the community here though.

Thanks for the info. I will check mines when I get a chance.

Strong Detective.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Good detective work! Luckily in my case don't need to worry as I don't own or collect any from this house. Great info for the community here though.
    How come you don't own anything from D&G? Personal taste or a moral stance?

Basenotes Plus

True in my case. I have a bottle from 2004 with a six digit batch code, and a bottle that should arrive tomorrow from 2007 with a 4 digit batch code. Great info!!
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

I own five bottles of Dolce&Gabbana pour homme. All 75ml and all produced after 2000.
    Four of them are the vintage/older formula with the sticker and are 'Made in Italy' (pre-2009 bottles). One is 'Made in Germany' (2009-2012) and is the embossed bottle.

All have a 6-digit batch code on the bottom of the bottle of which the first one refers to the year of production.
    2003, 2005, 2007 and 2008 for vintage and the Made in Germany starts with a 9 and is from 2009.

These are all the D&G bottles I own.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

some more infos obtained from experts:

Original version: 1994 to 2000 (produced by Euroitalia factory, with top-quality ingredients)

First reformulation : 2000 to 2008 (produced by Euroitalia, still high-quality, but with slight changes due to restrictions)

Second reformulation :2009-2011 (produced by P&G, "made in Germany", heavily reformulated, great differences from the original, but considered still -barely- acceptable)

Third reformulation, 2012-today: ("Made in UK", probably the worst )

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder if you could post a pictures of 2003, 2008 and 2009 stickers , to see differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    I own five bottles of Dolce&Gabbana pour homme. All 75ml and all produced after 2000.
    Four of them are the vintage/older formula with the sticker and are 'Made in Italy' (pre-2009 bottles). One is 'Made in Germany' (2009-2012) and is the embossed bottle.

All have a 6-digit batch code on the bottom of the bottle of which the first one refers to the year of production.
    2003, 2005, 2007 and 2008 for vintage and the Made in Germany starts with a 9 and is from 2009.

These are all the D&G bottles I own.

What stickers do you mean? The one on the front of the bottle (silver/black) are all the same (the German one is embossed and has no sticker).
    The ones on the bottom of the bottle with the batch-code are all different. Mind that the 2009 one is a 'Made in Germany' sticker and the other two (three) 'Made in Italy' with a slight insignificant difference. The batch-codes are all 6-digits.

All owners with DG pour homme sticker version produced between 2001-2008 will say the same, I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrč Moreau View Post
    some more infos obtained from experts:

Original version: 1994 to 2000 (produced by Euroitalia factory, with top-quality ingredients)

First reformulation : 2000 to 2008 (produced by Euroitalia, still high-quality, but with slight changes due to restrictions)

Second reformulation :2009-2011 (produced by P&G, "made in Germany", heavily reformulated, great differences from the original, but considered still -barely- acceptable)

Third reformulation, 2012-today: ("Made in UK", probably the worst )

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder if you could post a pictures of 2003, 2008 and 2009 stickers , to see differences.

Basenotes Plus

What stickers do you mean? The one on the front of the bottle (silver/black) are all the same (the German one is embossed and has no sticker).
    The ones on the bottom of the bottle with the batch-code are all different. Mind that the 2009 one is a 'Made in Germany' sticker and the other two (three) 'Made in Italy' with a slight insignificant difference. The batch-codes are all 6-digits.

All owners with DG pour homme sticker version produced between 2001-2008 will say the same, I am sure.
    Wrong! Because as I said in an earlier post I have a bottle from 2004 with a six digit batch code and two bottles from 2007 with a 4 digit batch code. So again I'd love to see pics of the stickers from your 4 bottles...
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais

Okay. A very strange thing is that, just 2 days ago, a friend of mine showed me a "silver sticker" bottle ("Made in Italy"), with the batch code "7138" (almost certainly produced in 2007) and ...it's only 4 digits.
    Maybe I'm doing too many questions, instead of smell these scents!

In that post it wasn't said what D&G frag was referred to.
    I am only talking about sticker versions of the pour homme version (1994).
    If you have one like that with a 4 digit code (between 2001-2009) it would be more interesting to show that one instead of mines with the normal 6 digit batch codes.

Quote Originally Posted by FISS80 View Post
    Wrong! Because as I said in an earlier post I have a bottle from 2004 with a six digit batch code and two bottles from 2007 with a 4 digit batch code. So again I'd love to see pics of the stickers from your 4 bottles...

Basenotes Plus

Okay. A very strange thing is that, just 2 days ago, a friend of mine showed me a "silver sticker" bottle ("Made in Italy"), with the batch code "7138" (almost certainly produced in 2007) and ...it's only 4 digits.
    @Slayerized. See above
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais

The code on my Made in Italy bottle is 7141 while the code for my Made in Germany one begins with a 0. I think the next digit is an 8 but it is partially rubbed out (6 digits total), as are others. I would guess it is 082002.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 18th March 2013 at 01:04 AM.

Here is my 'Made in Italy' (old style bottle/sticker) bottle:

Six digit code: 315036

That is how all my 'Made in Italy' bottles look like as well, only at one there is a slight difference in text and font being used but all have 6 digit codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Here is my 'Made in Italy' (old style bottle/sticker) bottle:

Six digit code: 315036

Basenotes Plus

So after a great deal of research on various news articles, it seems P&G entered a joint venture with D&G in 2005, while taking control of D&G's fragrance portfolio in July 2006. With that being said, the Germany reformulation happened at least 2 years after P&G took control.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais

Call from a friend of mine...
    This is very interesting:
    PROOF OF AUTHENTICITY

check the sticker on the bottle: it is two-colors:
    the silver part is flat and smooth
    the blue one is "rough" and sandpaper-like (you can check it with your nails)
    Fake bottles are not so refined!

Some time ago I've purchased an unused vintage gift set (75ml EDT + 75ml shower gel). The box itself does not have any batch code, but the EDT looks authentic (blue-silver cap, sticker in the same colours, the silver part is smooth, the blue one is rough, sandpaper-like). The batch code on the bottle is strange though - 3035120. The juice itself smells nice (no synthetic or smelly things there), but the longevity is 5 hours maximum on me. My guess would be that the juice is the real deal, but the bottle was exposed to heat/sunlight and it's not so potent anymore. Any thoughts?

very likely year 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by nobodythere View Post
    Some time ago I've purchased an unused vintage gift set (75ml EDT + 75ml shower gel). The box itself does not have any batch code, but the EDT looks authentic (blue-silver cap, sticker in the same colours, the silver part is smooth, the blue one is rough, sandpaper-like). The batch code on the bottle is strange though - 3035120. The juice itself smells nice (no synthetic or smelly things there), but the longevity is 5 hours maximum on me. My guess would be that the juice is the real deal, but the bottle was exposed to heat/sunlight and it's not so potent anymore. Any thoughts?

Juice in bottle has to 'come alive'!
    Use it a couple of times, 'shake' it softly a few times and compare the longevity etc. again after a few weeks/months.
    I had that with many bottles of which I thought longevity sucked but was actually extremely good (6-8hrs). I had it with Rocky Mountain Wood, Insense, even D&G ph 2003, Jaguar for men vintage and Givenchy Vetyver. All seems to last like 30 mins on me at first but after some 'breathing' in the bottle they came alive and were like they should be!
    (at least that it how those frags worked with me).

This bottle is 10 years old. One of mine is actually the same, also from a giftset with shower gel of 2003 and that one had to come alive as well and is now one of my strongest out of my four vintage D&G pour homme bottles though they are all about the same in smell and longevity now which is 6-8 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by nobodythere View Post

Juice in bottle has to 'come alive'!
    Use it a couple of times, 'shake' it softly a few times and compare the longevity etc.
    I
    Agree, old perfumes had to revive and "rebirth".

Basenotes Junkie

My "made in Germany" has a six digit code, 026023. Checkcosmetics says it's from 2010.
    Last edited by timmy-j; 18th March 2013 at 06:29 PM.

Christmas 2009 gift: D&G Light Blue.
    Already "Made in UK", 4-digits batch code.

Very interesting. I'm afraid I'm missing the point thought do they smell different? I find the most recent D&G a bit weak, but that said, I don't reckon any dramatic difference...
    Ŕ l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Christmas 2009 gift: D&G Light Blue.
    Already "Made in UK", 4-digits batch code.

I also have a 75ml bottle of D&G Light Blue, bought (in a gift-set with 2.5oz deostick) from an airport duty-free in 2007 and the bottom sticker it's identical except the code which is : 7193.
    Nice work Andre Moreau !
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection in the morning matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day"..... I don't want to miss that

Current Top 12 Fall: | Gucci PH | Cacharel Nemo |
    YSL M7 | LAP L'Eau du Navigateur | Guerlain Heritage | YSL M7 OA | T.Mugler Pure Havane | Terre d'Hermes | Armani Attitude | T.Mugler B*Men | Lancome Miracle Homme | T.Mugler Pure Wood |

ULTRA RARE from a friend of mine
    5-digits D&G bottle year 1994 (one of the first ever produced)
    note the vertical batch-code and the juice darker than modern one

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by lupo View Post
    I'm afraid I'm missing the point thought .
    My made in Germany has a 6 digit code, not a 4 digit code as the theory in the original post eluded to. I also am missing what is trying to be discerned by this theory.
    Last edited by timmy-j; 20th March 2013 at 05:35 PM.

I'm trying to date these perfumes because the cosmetic calculator is full with mistakes.
    Apart this, yes, the old batches smells different (I'd say: "better") than modern ones.

My sticker label, made in Italy bottle:

It's much smoother than the first reformulation (which I got as a gift last year and ended up exchanging). I also get that smooth and creamy tobacco with citrus in the background from it.
    Last edited by NewHaarlem; 20th March 2013 at 09:59 PM. Reason: typo

I guess you meant first reformulation?

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    My sticker label, made in Italy bottle:

It's much smoother than the first formulation (which I got as a gift last year and ended up exchanging). I also get that smooth and creamy tobacco with citrus in the background from it.

I guess you meant first reformulation?
    Yes, thanks for pointing that out.

my bottle of the one has a 4 digit code

No clue what it means. All I know is that it smells good

Still I didn't read nor see about a sticker made in Italy DG pour homme bottle of 2000-2008 with a four (or other) digit batch code instead of six. Anyone?

Basenotes Plus

Originally Posted by Andrč Moreau

Originally Posted by FISS80
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais

it means year 2011;
    so, it's P&G beautč; probably "Made in Germany" ; second reformulation.

Quote Originally Posted by swise0121 View Post
    my bottle of the one has a 4 digit code

No clue what it means. All I know is that it smells good

Again: show all those bottles plz, as they are more interesting than all my 6 digit bottles who just look like already been posted!
    (the 7138 bottle could be from 1997)

Quote Originally Posted by FISS80 View Post
    Originally Posted by Andrč Moreau

Originally Posted by FISS80

Maybe the solution is here....
    (translated from italian)

---------------------------------
    "Ciao Mario,
    could you explain me some things about batching codes (CUT)"

Ciao Andre,
    so you have some spare time huh?
    The main answer is that after the switching to P&G many things changed, and many others were completely messed up.
    Briefly:
    Production line in Italy closed in 2007 or 2008, and another opened in Germany, I guess in 2008.
    Italian bottles since 2007 had the 4-digits batch code (for example 7832), and then the UK ones;
    German bottles, on the contrary, had the old 6-digits batch code but, pay attention! , it was written using white ink (not the usual black) .

For example in this moment I have in front of me a German bottle (no silver logo, but embedded letters) with white ink code : 803452 (year 2008)

So you can find German bottles reporting " 8XXXXX " (six digits in white) it means year 2008
    if you find " 8XXXXX " (six digits in black ) (only italian ones in this case) it means year 1998 (CUT)

Ok for your other statements: best bottles are ones produced the pre 2000-era. It's very simple to identify them, because the sticker under the bottle is written in italian only.
    If you can't find these old gems, other Made in Italy or Made in Germany are still acceptable. But avoid the "Made in UK" ones, very ugly (CUT)"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Andrč Moreau; 21st March 2013 at 07:01 PM.

There are also 'Made in Italy' bottles from 2008 (6 digits; I own one of these). It was the transition year to the German bottlings!
    As of 2009 there are only 'Made in Germany' bottles (till UK 2012).

And the made in Germany juice is to me 'not acceptable' compared with any made in Italy bottle.

Maybe the solution is here....
    (translated from italian)

---------------------------------
    "Ciao Mario,
    could you explain me some things about batching codes (CUT)"

Ciao Andre,
    so you have some spare time huh?
    The main answer is that after the switching to P&G many things changed, and many others were completely messed up.
    Briefly:
    Production line in Italy closed in 2007 or 2008, and another opened in Germany, I guess in 2008.
    Italian bottles since 2007 had the 4-digits batch code (for example 7832), and then the UK ones;
    German bottles, on the contrary, had the old 6-digits batch code but, pay attention! , it was written using white ink (not the usual black) .

For example in this moment I have in front of me a German bottle (no silver logo, but embedded letters) with white ink code : 803452 (year 2008)

So you can find German bottles reporting " 8XXXXX " (six digits in white) it means year 2008
    if you find " 8XXXXX " (six digits in black ) (only italian ones in this case) it means year 1998 (CUT)

Ok for your other statements: best bottles are ones produced the pre 2000-era. It's very simple to identify them, because the sticker under the bottle is written in italian only.
    If you can't find these old gems, other Made in Italy or Made in Germany are still acceptable. But avoid the "Made in UK" ones, very ugly (CUT)"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

That is how all my 'Made in Italy' bottles look like as well, only at one there is a slight difference in text and font being used but all have 6 digit codes.
    "one with slight differences in text and fonts"?
    why don't you post a picture of the bottom sticker of this bottle?

I will post, when I have time, pics of all my 5 D&G ph bottles bottoms.

"one with slight differences in text and fonts"?
    why don't you post a picture of the bottom sticker of this bottle?

only for info:
    -----------
    Hi Andre,
    you're right,
    I have two "made in Germany" bottles, without any sticker, and both sport a six number code on the bottom of the bottle, numbers are painted in white. First number is "8" , I guess it means year 2008.
    Cheers,
    -----------------

Here are 5 bottles of By Man by D&G

(had 2 more 3. 4oz bottles with 4 digit codes too but sold them)

4 of which have 4 digit codes and 1 with a 6 digit code. None of them start with a number, lol.

What an intricate situation!
    It seems they used different codes for different perfumes!

Hmmm… My bottle of D&G The One has a 2255 code and it was made in the UK. Does this mean it was made in 2012?
    Living each day one spray at a time

What an intricate situation!
    It seems they used different codes for different perfumes!
    and the plot thickens....

haha

Every bottle of By Man says "made in Italy".

Just checked my bottle of D&G Pour Homme and it has '1199' Made in Germany at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam View Post
    and the plot thickens....

haha

Every bottle of By Man says "made in Italy".

Just checked my bottle of D&G Pour Homme and it has '1199' Made in Germany at the bottom.
    1199 = year 2011
    2255= year 2012
    about these, we are sure

the classic 6-number code 218203 should mean "2002"
    the other ending with ..04 should mean 2004...but it's only a guess.

the classic 6-number code 218203 should mean "2002"
    the other ending with ..04 should mean 2004...but it's only a guess.
    The the 1st letter is a 'Z'.

You can tell it's definitely a 'Z' because there is a '2' in the batch # there as well. 'Z18203'.

(If you have a Mac, hold command and + to zoom)

As for the 4 digit codes, I was thinking the XX04 was meaning 2004 too... but who knows.

2 of the 3.4 oz's are 'HS04' and the other 3.4 oz is 'HF04' with the 1.7 oz being 'DF04'

We'll have to ask some of the By Man experts in here what their take is and compare their batch #'s
    Last edited by 1280adam; 30th March 2013 at 10:52 PM.

Bought this bottle on eBay a few months ago. This is a 125ml tester bottle, made by P+G, but made in Italy. The writing on the back of the bottle is engraved.

Any comments, queries etc. most welcome.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

nothing on the bottom of the bottle?
    ( Any way, since it's Made in Italy and P&G, it could be 2007-2008 )

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    Bought this bottle on eBay a few months ago. This is a 125ml tester bottle, made by P+G, but made in Italy. The writing on the back of the bottle is engraved.

Any comments, queries etc. most welcome.

Thanks
    - - - Updated - - -

The the 1st letter is a 'Z'.

You can tell it's definitely a 'Z' because there is a '2' in the batch # there as well. 'Z18203'.

(If you have a Mac, hold command and + to zoom)

As for the 4 digit codes, I was thinking the XX04 was meaning 2004 too... but who knows.

2 of the 3.4 oz's are 'HS04' and the other 3.4 oz is 'HF04' with the 1.7 oz being 'DF04'

We'll have to ask some of the By Man experts in here what their take is and compare their batch #'s
    ByMan was discontinued in 2005-2006, so most likely XX04 means 2004.

nothing on the bottom of the bottle?
    ( Any way, since it's Made in Italy and P&G, it could be 2007-2008 )
    Andre, no nothing at all on the bottom of the bottle. Assolutamente niente.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    Andre, no nothing at all on the bottom of the bottle. Assolutamente niente.
    P&G acquired D&G fragrance division during the second half of 2006, at this point your bottle is likely 2007 or 2008.
    Not excellent as those produced before 2000, but still very good: you lucky enough to get the last good ones, before the ruin

Exactly true! As I myself have a gift set of D&G PH with silver sticker on the bottle bought in 2008, which is Made in Italy by P&G and has a 4-digit code starting with 7.
    How come this one?
    I can post some pictures also if needed...
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

Received a vintage bottle today. "Made in Italy" on the bottom with the code '017444'

Received a vintage bottle today. "Made in Italy" on the bottom with the code '017444'
    year 2000, enjoy! ....or, if the back of the box report only 3 ingredients, sell it at "collector" price

year 2000, enjoy! ....or, if the back of the box report only 3 ingredients, sell it at "collector" price
    I'm seeing 5 ingredients haha.

..and woah, huge difference between the 2 scents. The quality of ingredients is unmistakeable in the older bottle.

IMG_0435.jpg
    Ok, here's the bottom of my vintage Pour Homme, I would swear I got this before the 2004 listed on checkcosmetic.net. Note the 7 digit batch code, I know it's authentic because I bought it retail, in person, from Von Maur.
    Last edited by Profumo Saggio; 19th April 2013 at 01:02 AM.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

This info is so cool! I just checked my bottles and I have 2004, 2006, 2008 formulations all made in Italy but I have a 2010 formulation that has the sticker? Actually, all my bottles have the sticker and are made in Italy. I thought the new formulations came out sometime in 09? If I have a made in Italy with the sticker, how was it produced in 2010?

It isn't...........Checkcosmetics makes lots of mistakes confusing decades.
    Yours is from 2000 most likely!

(how do u know the formulation inside is 2010?)

6-digits Batches starting with 0 mean 2000.
    4-digits Batches starting with 0 mean 2010
    and 6-digits Batches written in WHITE INK starting with 8,9,0, mean respectively: 2008,2009,2010.

Quote Originally Posted by jcastano View Post
    This info is so cool! I just checked my bottles and I have 2004, 2006, 2008 formulations all made in Italy but I have a 2010 formulation that has the sticker? Actually, all my bottles have the sticker and are made in Italy. I thought the new formulations came out sometime in 09? If I have a made in Italy with the sticker, how was it produced in 2010?
    Last edited by Andrč Moreau; 25th April 2013 at 08:41 AM.