Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Calling All By Kilian Fans (And Haters): A 100% By Kilian Thread

I like Beyond Love, but would certainly not consider By Kilian to be a controversial house at all.

I've tried several Ouds by By Kilian, but they can't pull them off like Montale or Amouage.

Amber Oud: A Lot of Amber, no oud. Vanilla, benzoin, slightly medicinal. Very very dry and Entirely forgettable.

Arabian Nights Pure Oud: Sawdust and oud, this is warmer than some ouds, and not medicinal. There is a peppery note that helps, but this is rather forgettable among a large assortment of ouds.

I did like their Water Calligraphy b/c I LOVE Penhaligon's except they disappear on me in 15min. WC reminds me of a Penhaligon's only better longevity.

Water Calligraphy: Very fresh aquatic, and floral. I love the mix of citrus and floral in the opening. Reminds me of something from Penhaligon's. They make light watery fragrances. Seems to have decent sillage and longevity so far, which is rare with light water citrus fragrances.

Back to Black for all it's hype is like Tom Ford TV plus a huge dose of...baby powder. Why did they ruin a decent frag. with baby powder? It conjures up a rich paneled room, full of rich men smoking cigars drinking brandy, and a baby sitting in the middle of the leather wing-back chair...
    Last edited by Diogenes65; 18th March 2013 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I like Beyond Love, but would certainly not consider By Kilian to be a controversial house at all.
    Most of the By Kilian controversy that I have seen here on Basenotes revolves around whether the brand is overpackaged or not and if the juice is worth the price. The general consensus is that the juice is fine across the line.
    "It always seems impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela

SAVE THE DATE: July 1st, 2015 - 12 PM US EDT - 1600 GMT
    Currently wearing: L'Humaniste by Frapin

I own Straight to Heaven and it is a great scent. It grows on me, smells better and better each day. My second love is Sweet Redemption. Never smelt anything like that. Amazingly unique for me.
    For example I don’t really like Back to Black, somehow it is just crazy sweet tobacco and honey on my skin, nothing spectacular.
    “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”

Thanks for this thread MFfan310,
    I have a question and am really relying on your expertise here !!!
    A reviewer on fragrantica mentioned a fragrance called Soul To Squeeze from Kilian. It's supposed to be a limited edition from their Paris Exclusive range ??
    I can't find any info on it whatsoever !
    According to the reviewer, Kilian took over Jacques Bogart and Soul To Squeeze is supposed to be the classic Furyo, (originally Jacques Bogart) rebottled ????? !!!
    Any help much appreciated.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

I agree 100% with the considered, well thought-out post by Mr R.

Straight to Heaven wears amazingly well on me. The only reason I acquired the presentation box package is to display it in a LED-lit display unit. Would have opted for the no-rills refills otherwise. I've been very tempted to get the magnificent looking gold travel atomiser but its heft is not particularly desirable when you're travelling light.

Other favorites:
    A Taste of Heaven, Back to Black, Beyond Love, Cruel Intentions, Incense Oud, Rose Oud, Sweet Redemption.

Without going throught the thread, I'll say this: they have several really good fragrances, including Back to Black, Straight to Heaven (which I owned in travel set form), and Rose Oud. I sampled Rose Oud, and was like wow! Great stuff! But I didn't recall the price. Went back to Luckyscent, and it said $395 for a 50 ml bottle. I could understand that price if you're giving me 100 mls, but not 50! I thought that was RIDICULOUS! HOWEVER, I'm just went back to their site moments ago and saw that you can get it for less with the Travel sets and Refill bottles. Those prices are a little bit more reasonable, so that Refill bottle for $185 just went on my to buy list. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I agree 100% with the considered, well thought-out post by Mr R.

Straight to Heaven The only reason I acquired the presentation box package is to display it in a LED-lit display unit.

Other favorites:
    A Taste of Heaven, Back to Black, Beyond Love, Cruel Intentions, Incense Oud, Rose Oud, Sweet Redemption.
    I'd love to see some pics of your LED lit display post pics!!!

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes65 View Post
    I'd love to see some pics of your LED lit display post pics!!!
    Not the best I got but I'm browsing on my IPhone and this is the only one available (sorry about the orientation.) Of course it's nowhere near jrd4t's magnificent perfume shrine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 19th March 2013 at 03:25 AM.

No work you picture flamediamond.
    for swap/sale:

There is no doubt that Calice Becker does quality work.

I am a real fan of Pure Oud.
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

I don't view by Kilian as a particularly controversial house -- certainly not in the category of Creed or Bond. Seems to me it hasn't aroused the ire of the community like those two.

Personally, the only fragrance it makes that I'd consider buying its Straight to Heaven, but it's not bottle worthy to me for the price. The packaging doesn't bother me, nor is it a plus; it's immaterial to the scent. I liked Back to Black at first, but it does a weird number on my skin after a while.

For me Creed and Chanel probably have the highest number of fragrances I enjoy. I'm sure some would say Kilian is their favorite house, too.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Why are Kilian so secretive about their Paris Exclusive Line. When you look on their website there is just an image of about 20 bottles arranged in a circle. No info or even a list of names of the fragrances.
    Does anyone know anything about them ???
    Thanks.
    RARE PERFUME DECANTS - FACEBOOK (closed group) - Hundreds of ultra rare extraits available, including Djedi and Nombre Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    I don't view by Kilian as a particularly controversial house -- certainly not in the category of Creed or Bond. Seems to me it hasn't aroused the ire of the community like those two.

Personally, the only fragrance it makes that I'd consider buying its Straight to Heaven, but it's not bottle worthy to me for the price. The packaging doesn't bother me, nor is it a plus; it's immaterial to the scent. I liked Back to Black at first, but it does a weird number on my skin after a while.

For me Creed and Chanel probably have the highest number of fragrances I enjoy. I'm sure some would say Kilian is their favorite house, too.
    Very nice thought and I can parallel your sentiments.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Why are Kilian so secretive about their Paris Exclusive Line. When you look on their website there is just an image of about 20 bottles arranged in a circle. No info or even a list of names of the fragrances.
    Does anyone know anything about them ???
    Thanks.
    Just their standard fragrances from the discovery set arranged around the travel atomizer. If you look closely, several of them are repeated.

The only thing I find that may have been exclusive, some of the regular fragrances were in special bottles that are not the regular bottle.

I do not find any secretive fragrances that are not available anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Just their standard fragrances from the discovery set arranged around the travel atomizer. If you look closely, several of them are repeated.

The only thing I find that may have been exclusive, some of the regular fragrances were in special bottles that are not the regular bottle.

I do not find any secretive fragrances that are not available anywhere else.
    Thanks PalmBeach. They definitely have what they call "Paris Exclusive Line", (which I believe are limited editions ?). Are these limited editions perhaps the ones you refer to as not being in the regular bottles ?

Pure oud is my favorite from this line. It smells exactly as called. My second favorite is straight to heaven ( unique) and back to black. I own samples of the rest . It is high quality , no doubt.

Has anyone else tried the new Gold Oud from the Arabian Nights line? The SA said there are only 500 bottles worldwide with 250 in the UAE (rest I don't know where). Supposedly a more concentrated version of Rose Oud. I've tried it twice now and absolutely love the dry down it seems somewhat similar to Amber Oud. I am still debating a FB purchase even though it is ridiculously expensive....

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Thanks PalmBeach. They definitely have what they call "Paris Exclusive Line", (which I believe are limited editions ?). Are these limited editions perhaps the ones you refer to as not being in the regular bottles ?
    These are the only thing I see that appear to be limited:

But the fragrances are part of their regular line. Love, Straight to Heaven and Liasons Dangereuses.

Basenotes Junkie

I am recently loving the honey drydown of Back to Black. It lasts more than 24 hours.

I love the Pure Oud, It just isn't worth the money for me only b/c its longevity isn't great...there are several other frags that smell close with much better longevity. If I found a really good deal, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Not the best I got but I'm browsing on my IPhone and this is the only one available (sorry about the orientation.) Of course it's nowhere near jrd4t's magnificent perfume shrine.
    Nice Picture....thanks!

Since we're talking By Kilian photos, here's my Straight to Heaven keepsake box that was autographed by Kilian himself at the South Coast Plaza Saks in 2008:

20130328_220111_resized.jpg

I may sell, swap, or give away fragrances at times, but I'm not parting with my autographed Straight to Heaven at ANY price. (That, and I get a bunch of compliments while wearing it.)
    "It always seems impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela

SAVE THE DATE: July 1st, 2015 - 12 PM US EDT - 1600 GMT
    Currently wearing: L'Humaniste by Frapin

I like STH but feel Clive Christan V is far better.

Dependent

The name of the house is Kilian. What's with the uber-affected "By" Kilian? By is not his first name. We don't go around calling Guerlain, "de Guerlain" even though many fragrance boxes or bottles may have "de" written on them in front of Guerlain. Just seems weird that this is the only house that has spawned people to call it that way.

And yes, they do have some pretty decent fragrances, and one very good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I have no tried Clive Christian V, is it similar to Straight to Heaven? On another note, I refuse to buy any Clive Christians due to their snobbish and pretentious marketing ie "the world's most expensive perfume". If you resort to how high your fragrance costs to sell your product, it's pretty much the epitome of snobbery.

Anywho...the By Kilian line is kind of up in the air for me. Any personal experience with the owner of a line would most certainly create a strong bias for the line. Regardless, their price is a bit too high overall I'd say. They definitely have quality stuff and it tends to last quite long as well, but for those prices I'd have to absolutely love them. I do agree with the OP that they're not too far off from other niche houses (and I have the same gripe with them).
    I've sampled all of them and the only one I'd consider purchasing at this point would be Straight to Heaven. I enjoy Incense Oud almost equally, but $400 for a 50 ml? COME ON!

Their line would be far more appealing if those prices were for a 100 ml instead of 50. Since they're discontinuing the refill sprays, the line lost more appeal. So far I find many of the scents enjoyable, but none are getting my money yet and more than likely in the future either.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I am doing a side by side at this very moment. V is a clean spicy cedar; a bit peppery. STH is almost dank with the rum, cedar, and patchouli but to tell the truth, I'm leaning towards STH, actually. I do detect a faint hint of vanilla and white musk but just enough to smooth out the patch.

I'm definitely digging STH!
    Last edited by Scentologist; 29th March 2013 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danielstripedtiger View Post
    I love the Pure Oud, It just isn't worth the money for me only b/c its longevity isn't great...there are several other frags that smell close with much better longevity. If I found a really good deal, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice Picture....thanks!
    Longevity and projection is outstanding. I get 10 hours easily.

How many sprays are you spraying?
    for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Longevity and projection is outstanding. I get 10 hours easily.

How many sprays are you spraying?
    I agree with this. Projection not super but good. Longevity very good. I'm sorry I can't agree with Danielstripedtiger though that there are several other frags that smell close. Pure Oud stands alone for me.

The only fb I wouldn't mind having from this house so far is Amber Oud. Good stuff.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

honestly I get compliments all the time I am wearing STH. there is something in it that is liked by the ladies.
    “Aren’t you a little short for a stormtrooper?”