Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Beware of these fragrances: Do never buy them blind

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    The Le Male BOTTLE makes me physically ill. I immediatly start vomiting when I glance at it.
    LOL. Do you consider it too "gay" looking?

Dont hate me for this, but I blind bought Invasion barbare
    and was rather disappointed, not for the scent not being pleasent
    But i was expecting something unique, cult if you like.
    I was expecting same impression I got from:
    LADDM
    GIT
    Jardin d'Amalfi
    Rose31
    Laura Mercier Amber passion Elixir
    Homage

Quote Originally Posted by salim96 View Post
    and was rather disappointed,
    You can easily sell it at Basenotes marketplace, or at Ebay. Do you still have the box?

I will give it a couple more wearings
    and then see how it goes
    I just got it 2 days back

Quote Originally Posted by salim96 View Post
    and was rather disappointed, not for the scent not being pleasent
    But i was expecting something unique, cult if you like.
    I was expecting same impression I got from:
    LADDM
    GIT
    Jardin d'Amalfi
    Rose31
    Laura Mercier Amber passion Elixir
    Homage
    You're not the only one. I didn't care for it either.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Oh, i really enjoy blind buying. But it is not a "grab and buy". I search for notes i like, perfumers behind the creations and the house. I see that blind buy tend to be much more out of the expected when people buy only based on someone suggestion or based on positive reviews. I like many from the list above, also i wont say a single comment if someone loves a popular scent like one milion or le male. Let it be happy with it.

Basenotes Member

Rive Gauche sent me to a wave of nausea. Seriously. I own 2 on the list and am pretty ok with it.
    www.luvessentials.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie10 View Post
    Rive Gauche sent me to a wave of nausea. Seriously.

I'm not alone in the universe.

This was not a blind buy, but my mother-in-law used to wear Giorgio Red, and it made me nauseous and headachy, to the point where I had to ask her not to wear it when I was coming over.

My brother-in-law wears Obsession, and it doesn't make me headachy, but I get a bit nauseous and wonder why he wants to smell like cat farts.

Quote Originally Posted by Galatea8 View Post
    This was not a blind buy, but my mother-in-law used to wear Giorgio Red, and it made me nauseous and headachy, to the point where I had to ask her not to wear it when I was coming over.

My brother-in-law wears Obsession, and it doesn't make me headachy, but I get a bit nauseous and wonder why he wants to smell like cat farts.
    I always thought Obsession smelled kind of "fart-y", too.

The guy at the gas station down the way from me wears 1 Million. I normally find this scent annoying to begin with, but it must not mix with his chemistry at all because he's got a real fecal thing going on.

My girlfriend's best friend wears some sweet vanilla-y, spicy Oriental as a general rule. I'm afraid to ask her what it is, mostly because that would mean I might have to open my mouth to do it, and I might hurl. She leaves a trail of "old lady flowers-meets-pizza belch". It's sickening.

The strength of the perfume, or the amount worn also makes a difference. Some people just put too much on, and everybody else around is retching. Some people put perfumes over their already stinky bodies, hoping for the "cure-all". Maybe this worked during the Victorian Era, but no more.

Smokers... oh man. The mix of a BEAUTIFUL fragrance PLUS the stink of the cigarettes makes me want to puke every time. That's the big one. Smokers and the sick cover-up.

MapofTheWoods, it sounds to me like maybe the issue is with a weak stomach. Reading thru this threa, there's an awful lot that makes you want to hurl.

Quote Originally Posted by elizrj View Post
    MapofTheWoods, it sounds to me like maybe the issue is with a weak stomach. Reading thru this threa, there's an awful lot that makes you want to hurl.
    Ha! Maybe you're right. But it doesn't look like an awful lot to me. Just an awful lot of circumstances where something good is turned into something bad. I'm certainly not a "hater". My friends all call me "super nose". I work as a naturalist and educator. I work with all kinds of animals and plants. In the mornings, going into work, when I first open the front door, I can instantly tell if one of our snakes has peed. Maybe I am a bit sensitive in the olfactory realm, but a good scent is a good scent, and not everything works on everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    The Le Male BOTTLE makes me physically ill. I immediatly start vomiting when I glance at it.

LOL. Don't you like the male figure? What happens when you look at Michelangelo's David?

Interesting list. I actually like Rive Gauche and Egoiste.

MY BLIND BUY FAILURES LATELY INCLUDE: Frogonard Reve De Grasse (just like Red Door, YUCK) and the newer Balmain Vent Vert (too sweet)
    There are NO BAD Creeds, Chanels or Diors in my book. Just wish for better SILAGE!!!!!

I have blind bought about 90% of my collection and I am very happy with just about all of it. The only ones I regret are the ones that have a strong soapy smell like Quorum and Ceruti Image. For some reason the real heavy soap fragrances make me feel like I can taste them and this upsets my stomach.
    Living each day one spray at a time

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

Royal Oud by Creed

I think there was little point in posting a "Beware" post relating to specific scents, as plainly most people don't share your affliction for the scents you've listed. I doubt that you'll find too many other people sharing your affliction, as evidenced by checking either the Basenotes or Fragrantica reviews of those scents, and the fact that some are extremely popular.

It's a shame you are so touchy to scents.

The only nasty one I've ever come across was Secretions Magnifique but, regardless of what Luca Turin thinks about it (five stars), I think it's a joke scent - like stupid works of poetry made up from random smatterings or paintings made by monkeys that professional critics foolishly give rave reviews to, before being told how those works came about. Anyhow, it makes most people ill, so I'm not alone.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I think there was little point in ... I doubt that you'll find too many other people ......It's a shame you are so touchy to scents. ....like stupid works of poetry made up from random smatterings or paintings made by monkeys that professional critics foolishly give rave reviews to, before being told how those works came about.

Lighten up, Renato!

sfmedusua said: "If you were working on my budget then you'd understand that a part used bottle picked up for a song is worth a try (once it's been researched) if you know that a full bottle at retail prices is completely out of your reach."

What follows is a shameless plea for commiseration. As in, "I got burned on ebay." I know, not exactly an exclusive club...

I, too, have champagne tastes and a beer budget. Tried to make that "buy it vintage/used on ebay" tactic work, but got bit in the arse just this week. Sampled classic Givenchy III (vintage twice, reformulated once), fell hideously and hopelessly in love, then bought a partial bottle of vintage on ebay at a decent but not spectacular price. What I got was a vintage bottle with watered-down reformulation, or worse; hell, it hardly smells like GIII at all! Takes 3x more to smell like anything, and it fades in an hour. Real vintage GIII is tenacious and green and glorious. Vendor basically cyber-shrugged and offered no recourse (alas, I already left positive feedback before figuring out I'd been had, the ad description left a gray area, and I'm not interested in an ebay dispute for under $25). What I spent isn't much to a heavy hitter, but it's my month's allotment, plus I still don't have my coveted juice.

Ebay does seem to require a gambler's spirit. Maybe I should have taken a hike when I noticed the seller's other items were tasteless kitschy knick-knacks, not fragrances. Thought that meant seller didn't know what the juice was worth; turns out they knew exactly what it was worth! Poor little me. OK, rant over.

To DanielPlainview, Egoiste I love, but it sends my man into a sneezing, coughing frenzy, as do many, many fragrances. Armani pour Homme is like catnip to me, but he gets a sinus headache every time he wears it. Same with Eau Sauvage and Equipage, both high end. The list of fragrances that give me a headache or make me literally nauseous is extensive, and it includes ones I actually enjoy! Actually this cheap watered-down shit that came in the Givenchy III bottle is making me a bit queasy as we speak. Off to scrub-a-dub-dub...
    Last edited by 1dita; 6th April 2013 at 12:23 AM. Reason: omission

This is the "Just starting out" forum on this board right.....

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    What's the point of this thread?
    The OP is pointing out some frags he blind bought, and couldn't stand.
    Not too difficult to understand. Don't like it? Don't read.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Last edited by voodoodanny; 7th April 2013 at 04:10 PM.
    Smelling good on a budget!

Quote Originally Posted by sfmedusa View Post
    Most of the fragrances I can afford to buy are under 10 part used bottles. I have the choice of either spending 5 on a sample including P&P (if I can find one of that scent- believe me it's not that easy for a lot of them in the UK) or spending 7 including P&P for half a bottle full.

Which would you choose?
    Exactly! I tend to either buy blind(ish) on eBay or buy into one of Kron's World Famous Splits.

Probably about 75% of what I get from eBay goes back on there. The thing is, by the time a bottle goes back I will generally have given it a number of proper wearings, and had it in my wardrobe for at least six months. Not something you can do with a 1 or 2 ml sample.

Basenotes Plus

When I make blind buys, it's only after researching both the ratings and comments at Basenotes as well as the product's ingredients. I've found this to be extremely unreliable especially when considering the ingredients. I know what I like and several times I've purchased fragrances with my favorite ingredients only to find the cologne to smell nothing like I expected. My advice is to pruchase samples first.

was about to blind buy angle men then i thought of testing it (had the money in my hand). As soon as the SA sprayed it on my hand I put the money back into my wallet, 5 hours later I am still happy with my decision, that burnt smell :3 yuck

Quote Originally Posted by craniumbash View Post
    was about to blind buy angle men then i thought of testing it (had the money in my hand). As soon as the SA sprayed it on my hand I put the money back into my wallet, 5 hours later I am still happy with my decision, that burnt smell :3 yuck
    Its disgusting, isnt it?

I'm still up in the air about my Histoires 1889 Moulin Rouge purchase. I bought the 4 oz bottle and split it with a co-worker.

I really like the fragrance when I first put it on and even more so on the dry down. It's so unique and it smells fantastic.

However, if I can still smell it after I go to bed it makes me feel queasy after awhile. If I happen to wake up in the middle of the night and can still smell it, it really is off putting to the point where I want to wash it off.

I still have 55ml of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Here I will list all fragrances that made me feel sick. Really sick (physically sick). I invite you guys to do the same. :

Michael Kors
    Egoiste
    The topnotes in Heritage
    Rive Gauche
    Z-14
    Grey Flannel
    Canoe
    Angel Men

I had to wash them off of my skin and gave them for free immediately.
    Rive Gauche has to be one of the safest blind buys possible imo

Quote Originally Posted by Noteworthy View Post
    I'm still up in the air about my Histoires 1889 Moulin Rouge purchase. I bought the 4 oz bottle and split it with a co-worker.

I really like the fragrance when I first put it on and even more so on the dry down. It's so unique and it smells fantastic.

However, if I can still smell it after I go to bed it makes me feel queasy after awhile. If I happen to wake up in the middle of the night and can still smell it, it really is off putting to the point where I want to wash it off.

I still have 55ml of it.
    What can anyone say to that other than take a shower before bed!?
    Smelling good on a budget!

Yeah I blind buy quite a bit, I first check eBay to see if it's consistently being sold at a certain price then factor in what I'm paying for the bottle which is usually less, and basically treat it as if I'm buying a small sample. This way I can spray it a few times and if I don't like it I can at worst sell it for a small loss...and quite often by buying via fragrancenet and getting the 20% discount coupon I actually end up making money by re-selling them as used on eBay

Obviously we're all different, but the one I instantly regretted buying where mainly the cheaper ones, I was skimming through a thread on here about what are some good cheaper fragrances to buy and ended up having to sell all of them hahaha

Not sure if these all have a similar ingredient/s that turned me off as I'm fairly new to this (have been buying/wearing for over 15 years but never thought to research/post about fragrances before a few months ago)

I didn't really care because they didn't cost me much and gave me the chance to try stuff which was way outside of my comfort zone, but none of these appealed to me, so whilst some may love these, I wouldnt classify them as safe buys

1. Rive Gauche - I hate this instantly
    2. Juicy Couture - Dirty English
    3. Corduroy by Zirh International
    4. Ikon by Zirh International
    5. Halston Z-14 & 1-12
    6. Versace L'Homme
    7. Kenzo Woody
    8. Quorum Silver

I'd be interested to know if there is a common ingredient these share that made me dislike them so much?
    My top 10

1. Gucci Envy
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Gucci Rush for Men
    5. Viktor & Rolf Antidote
    6. D&G By Man
    7. Serge Lutens - Santal Majuscule
    8. Gucci Pour Homme
    9. Tom Ford Nerolo Portofino
    10. Dior Homme Cologne